5.0 out of 5 stars eXplorist 310 - a good first unit
Although I have had car sat nav for several years and a smart phone with GPS - I wanted increased accuracy and battery life of a dedicated unit. This is definitely a good unit to start with.
Published 23 months ago by Hugh Phipps

2.0 out of 5 stars explorist 310
**PLEASE SEE UPDATE I'VE POSTED IN THE COMMENTS AS SINCE I WROTE THIS REVIEW, MAGELLAN HAVE PROVIDED FURTHER SUPPORT FOR MAC USERS & THERE ARE SOME FREE MAPS OUT THERE NOW TOO**

Published 14 months ago by Mr. N. S. Matthews

5.0 out of 5 stars eXplorist 310 - a good first unit, 22 Nov 2012
Hugh Phipps "H X P" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magellan eXplorist 310 Handheld GPS Receiver - Orange (Sports)
I got it so I could accurately Geotag photos - so it is take a photo - set a waypoint which stores the map co-ordinates. I have done a couple of road trips to USA and I want to be able to store waypoints as I drive so I can retrace my route when I get back to the UK. I have some pictures I took last year and a bit debateable exactly where I was so hoping this and a GPS enabled camera ( Nikon p510 )will enable me to view where I tool photos.

Plus points - solid build - acquires satellites quickly - good battery life. Modest price. Paperless Geocaching .

The paperless geocaching is excellent - top marks for the way it works with .gpx files - very easy to load them onto the unit 500 caches are about 2 mb with 500odd mb on the device to fill as you see fit.

Best accuracy I have had is about 2m - it can go out to 10m+ at times. Overall though a very pleasing and accurate device. I think even when the device reports accuracy of 6m it is in fact much better at times accurate to 1m - I took several waypoints along a drive in to work stopping opposite t junctions to store a waypoint - when I then checked it in Google maps it positioned my with a 1m of the junction. So I think accuracy is better than expected.

This is not a replacement for a car sat nav like the Tom Tom as it gives you a ' direction ' to travel in not turn by turn instructions - so it it up to you to pick the road to take and gradually ' xero in ' on your destination. But using it with the map view it is better than nothing at all - but not as good as TOM TOM for car navigation - then again a TOM TOM is not very good as a handheld GPS device. The best of all worlds id the HTC desire - but bear in mind with the phone the maps are streaming and using GPRS data and even with a 1gb data plan it could get expensive. The eXplorist 310 does what it does very well.

It seems as accurate as the HTC Desire S and TOMTOM car nav but they run out of power more quickly and are not as ` tough ` or waterproof. The HTC desire is streaming GPRS data to provide the Google map - so in areas of no GPRS coverage you are unable to see that map - but when you do have GPRS then the HTC is astoundingly good!

Minus points of the 310 - ` minimal maps' I was hoping for something along the lines of a basic OS map but afraid what you get is standard Magellan maps. To see the maps download the user guide or look on YouTube by searching for eXplorist 310 .... they are ok for most of the things you would want to do - but not detailed OS maps - the control joystick lags so you tend to over compensate and hit it again then it catches up with itself and ` jumps' - so it's press the joystick and be patient at times. The joystick is a 4 axis to move the cursor up down left right and press to confirm an action - it would be much better with a separate confirm button on the side of the device. The buttons are small and all a bit cramped. Small screen so sometimes actual location is a peer rather than a look.
The manual is ok - but lacks some detail - for example to delete an individual waypoint you have to go onto the co-ordinates of that specific waypoint then menu then delete - otherwise when all the waypoints listed its delete all .... Still can find it in in the manual and accidently discovered it while fiddling.
Having owned one I now know what to look for next time - but for the money I paid I am happy with it.

No plans to upgrade it yet as it does all I want.

HXP

2.0 out of 5 stars explorist 310, 2 Aug 2013
Mr. N. S. Matthews (UK) - See all my reviews

Got this device as a birthday present. It's difficult to say just how good this device is because if you read other reviews many say it is excellent. Anyway. Here is my assessment after two frustrating months with it. It comes loaded with world maps. In case you are wondering what these are, they are basic road maps. The sort you might find in a basic road atlas book. They are nothing more than that I am afraid. So if you want to navigate the roads in a city it's ok. However. For Sat nav type use the device is not really suitable. It only gives a straight line navigation. In other words if you imagine your starting point on a map and your final destination then you get a pencil and draw one straight line between the two. That's what it gives you. That's fine if you fly aircraft but not if you drive, cycle or walk a route. There is no turn by turn navigation like a Tom Tom for instance. So then. When you are out walking or cycling in the hills as I have been in the Yorkshire Dales and north Wales recently the map you are looking at on the device is featureless and is a blank green canvas almost. There are no contour lines to assess elevation nothing at all. This is how you buy the device. Now you can buy detailed ordnance survey maps. Only problem is for a 1:25000 map they are £130 each!!! Yes one hundred and thirty pounds that is. I didn't misprint that figure. You can buy the whole UK 1:50000 maps for £200 though! The next problem I encountered is that this product is not really geared up for Mac computers. I managed to find one app which claimed to link with Magellan GPS systems. It does sometimes but most of the time doesn't and so is hit and miss. I have ended up signing up to ordnance survey get a map which you have to pay for. I downloaded a map from there to the device but can I get it to display on the device. No! It's on there because it shows on my Mac that it's there when I can get it to recognize the Magellan is connected. The instruction book that comes with it tells you how to put the batteries in and some other very basic functions. That's it. It has no practical guidance on how to actually use it as a GPS. It recommends to go to their website for a more detailed booklet because they claim they are trying to save paper. The only booklet I found on their site is an electronic copy of the paper one that came in the box so no help I am afraid. It's fair to mention that all GPS devices whatever brand unless it says so do not come preloaded with OS maps with the kind of detail you need to safely navigate in the wilderness. So Magellan are not alone here. Everything seems to be geared up for Garmin products and the support and compatibility with Windows not Mac. I find this surprising when Magellan are a very popular usa brand. I am struggling to find Info on how to get the benefit of full functionality of thin product I haven't yet contacted Magellan I thought I would try everything else and exhaust every other resource first which . Almost have I think. I only use this device for creating a bread crumb trail now I'm case I get lost but I have a map and compass in my hand whilst the Magellan sits in my Bergen tracking my route in its most basic form. I am sure that if I used a Windows based system and shelled out hundreds of pounds for the maps I want from the Magellan site this would be a great device as the many other reviews I have seen that highly rate this product can't be wrong. I just wanted others to know of the difficulties I have faced with the Mac and the lack of out of the box support. I like to be able to pick up a device and within a couple of weeks be competent at using it having the important info supplied in the box. Not the case here I am afraid. I am now considering buying Windows for my Mac which will be another 100 quid to spend so I can then spend another 200 quid to have all the 1:50000 maps on the device. It will probably spend most of its time in the drawer now I am afraid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Brand GPS, Never buy, 1 Oct 2014
This GPS is terrible. I purchased it locally about 1 year ago and this year when I replaced the batteries and powered it up, there was no map installed. I contact Magellan and they said because I didn't keep my receipt there is nothing they will do and because the map is not installed this GPS is, in their own words, "useless". It has no possible uses and is garbage if the default map ever gets deleted. Extremely poor quality in my opinion, if you know the device is garbage by the map being removed then why not lock it so it can't. I will never purchase another Magellan device after the poor customer service they gave me. I see no reason why they cannot send me the map file for me to reinstall or at the very least, allow me to send this device in to get a new map installed. What a waste of $200.00.

3.0 out of 5 stars It fits the bill., 13 Oct 2013
A good, solid item bought specifically for Geocaching, and whilst there are some limitations, small screen, small writing, it is more than adequate for my needs.