5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly my favourite Black Stone Cherry record...
"Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea" the third studio album from Kentucky rockers Black Stone Cherry is possibly their strongest collection of songs yet, fuelled with heavy guitar riffs, melodic rhythms and in places some very poignant lyrics.

Working with renowned rock producer Howard Benson, Black Stone Cherry stay true to their traditional southern...
Published on 30 May 2011 by Mr. N. J. Henderson

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I was very excited when I heard that Black Stone Cherry had released a new album and bought it as soon as I could. Having bought the first two albums (and loved them both) I was expecting more of the same - blues tinted heavy rock that is in your face and offers no apologies, foot stomping hard rock fun!

Unfortunately, having listened to this album a good 4-5...
Published on 8 Jun 2011 by Mantower

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't Stop Listening!, 3 Jun 2011
Ok, I'll admit when I first listened to this album, I wasn't particularly impressed,

I wasn't impressed because it is 'Lighter' than their previous releases. The opening track "White Trash Millionaire" is a crunching opening song, I love it. it has a distinct Black Label Society feeling about it, Other tracks I particularly enjoy are: "Blame It On The Boom Boom", "Such A Shame", "Killing Floor", "Can't You See", "Let Me See You Shake".

"Change", the latter deserves a mention as the opening part of the song definitely sets this down as the continuation of the bands self titled 2006 release's "Lonely Train".

The album is good from start to finish, competently played as it should be ,
my only gripes about the album is that some of the tracks definitely have a generic nothing new feel about them, this is the only stumbling block for the album. Also it sounds as if the previously brilliant drumming by John Fred Young has been reigned in a bit too much and is a bit boring at times,

A very good album overall though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Weaker than the first two!!!!, 9 Oct 2011
There are some great rock bands around here in 2011. Black Stone Cherry being one of them!!! I was looking forward to this album from the Kentucky rockers, especially after the first two cracking albums! (You know the ones) Being a courier I have plenty of time to listen to my cd`s in my cab. I have played this one quite a bit and I have to say this is a weak album compared to the the first two? As an old rocker aged 48 I have seen and heard many great albums over the years and this band are up there with the best!! The thing I have noticed over the years of buying rock music and going to the gigs etc, is the first and sometimes the second album are usually devastating? They hit you like a freight train and stay with you for life!! I understand a band like BSC cannot keep putting out albums like there first one which was powerful and rocked from start to finish. Bands progress and try different things and they usually become better players too. But this album doesn't seem to get going to me? The opening track is typical Cherry with the old drive and purpose. then it seems to just plod along at a stop start pace. What I mean is you get a ballad or mid-paced song then a faster one thrown in every now and then? Like I said earlier I have given it a good listen but it just doesn't do it for me like the fist two Cherry albums. I still play the fist two on a regular basis but I don't think I will be with this one??? I am hoping that when I go to see them live in Leeds at the O2 academy I may change my mind about this album. I am not saying don't buy this album I am just saying this old rocker thinks its a bit weaker than the first two? But what I will also say is this band are brilliant and would have held there own during the glory years of rock in the 80s...Enjoy but don't expect to be blown away...Between the Devil & the Deep Blue Sea

2.0 out of 5 stars Huge disapointment, 26 Jun 2011
After listening through the whole album twice, out of 15 songs, there is only 1 i think is really good. Every other song is mediocre at best. The vocal melodies are catchy, as always, however the guitar work, drums, and overall rhythm is shockingly boring. Totally not what i expected, especially being a fan of their older material.

It sounds like they had some good ideas for songs, but were rushed into completing them and therefor losing the potential. The album is music you could listen to in the background, but not something you would chose to listen to and enjoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not Black Stone Cherry Good., 6 Jun 2011
First off, I'm writing this from the viewpoint of having brought the first 2 albums when they came out. This review will be seen negatively, but I'm a big fan - one of my favourite bands, and I will be seeing them live this week. However, I find I'm having to try too hard to like this album.

The album isn't bad, it just doesn't have the "in your face, lets get out there and rock" feeling. Yes, it starts with "White Trash Millionaire" which feels like a great opener, but then the songs become quite forgettable until you reach "Blame It On The Boom Boom". "Let Me See You Shake" and "Change" are two other good rocking songs, although "Let Me See You Shake" is all over in 3 minutes and is little repetitive after 1 min - they found a tune but didn't seem to be able to take it anywhere new in the song.

Many of the softer songs are almost Nickelback-esque in tune - perhaps the tour with them a while back made BSC think you need to do some more large audience friendly tracks to become huge. The softer songs also feel more bland than on previous albums.

The other feeling from this album is that is has been simply over-tinkered with, almost like they have tried to make it over-perfect. I think in some cases less is more. Whilst "Blame It On The Boom Boom" is still a cracking song, they have tinkered with it since the demo they released some time back, and it just smacks of not being able to leave something alone.

If you like softer rock, and have yet to buy a BSC album, this is the one for you.
If you like hard rock, get their first album.

I'm probably being too harsh on this album, it is good, but ultimately I think some tracks slipped on this which shouldn't have: this is 12 track album, and I think that is 2 tracks too many.

3.0 out of 5 stars Success breeds success...?, 17 Jun 2011
When you find a band by accident that hooks you immediately and doesn't wear off, then you know you have a great find. BSC are that band. That exciting feeling where every song penetrates your expectations like when you rediscover that music isn't as boring as you had begun to think. You won't get this feeling in this album. Instead, you could easily be forgiven to think you were listening to a new Nickleback album or some pop-rock band like Lifehouse, who are excellent in their own right. There are some catchy hooks, riffs, and lyrics, but unfortunately the album just does not go anywhere and it sounds like, although i hope i am wrong, that they have reached their evolutional pinnacle where all future releases will be of one and the same - they are successful, they have a good label, and they are now reaching out for a larger broader demographic of consumer. If you watch the 'Soulcreek' video you can see it happening - lots of students / spring break girls dancing around them; you could be forgiven to think that the video is accompanying an American Pie style film soundtrack. Of course, I too am partial to a bit of pop-rock and few musical guilty pleasures [track 3 in particular is very catchy with a nice chord progression and you can see why this might be appealing to a more popular music audience], but given the previous albums I was dissapointed at the quickness this has prevailed.The last band I can remember doing something similar was Sugar Ray - Sugar who?, you may ask; this is my point. I hope this does not continue and they listen to the responses of an already established fan base, which so far appears to be a neutral in response. Change and evolution is good, but on your own terms; i can't help but feel there is a label influencing their progression - i.e. over-produced! So yes, success breeds success and BSC will be reaching out to a larger population, but i am not sure they will be successful or popular amongst their current fan-base that propelled them to their current status!

If you are a current BSC fan, then sure, buy the album so that you can appreciate the awesomeness that they once were in their previous albums! Also, if you like Nickleback, I am sure you'll love this album! sigh...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 24 Aug 2014
This review is from: Between The Devil & The Deep Blue Sea (Audio CD)
Good album,looking for more from them

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I'd hoped, 22 Nov 2012
I bought this after hearing Black Stone Cherry on Planet Rock and quite enjoying it. I have seen them live and enjoyed their show but this album is a little lacklustre. It's good in parts, great in others but overall lacks originality. I say this because some songs sound more like Nickelback than Nickelback, even the album running order sounds like a Nickelback album! I will be listening to this album to try and get into it as I want to like Black Stone Cherry. Perhaps I bought the wrong album, this one has left me underwhelmed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 15 Sep 2011
The first two album release were absolutely brilliant albums. I was very disappointed when I listened to this album after borrowing it from a friend. They've gone all commercial and this album just doesn't cut it with me. Hopefully they'll go back to their original roots with their next release.

1.0 out of 5 stars Gutted, 14 Aug 2011
Nightman (St Albans UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Between The Devil & The Deep Blue Sea (Audio CD)
Loved the first album and the 2nd whilst inferior still had a number of good tracks. But this new one will more than likely be my last BSC. It lacks a cutting edge, too many songs sound similiar to each other, too many ballads and not even one outstanding track. This album is a huge backwards step for the band and they won't ehnance their reputation with this insipid and boring album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Aug 2014
A1

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

Between The Devil & The Deep Blue Sea
Between The Devil & The Deep Blue Sea by Black Stone Cherry (Audio CD - 2011)