5.0 out of 5 stars ...and soon I was engaged
Published on 29 Sep 2011 by S. MOHAMADI

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment
I have enjoyed reading Robert Goddard's books over the years. Partway through this one I just lost interest. I agree it's relevant to today and well written. It is, however, the same old plot again. Rich man has life disrupted, has to jump thru many hoops to come out at the end. Dull, dull dull.
Published on 7 Dec 2011 by Lazy Lady

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, 7 Dec 2011
Lazy Lady (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars ...and soon I was engaged, 29 Sep 2011
S. MOHAMADI (London,SW) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Count (Paperback)
Admittedly, This is my first encounter with Robert Goddard. I just picked up this book by pure accident and soon I was engaged. I have now a pile of his previous novels on my reading list as I am certain they are all equally engaging and interesting. I won't add much to other good reviews already penned and endorse their take. Get this book and find yourself a quiet place and a drink near hand as you would soon find yourself unable to put it down even for a split of a second and a refreshment would be handy to keep you going.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful as ever, 10 July 2011
Paul Eccles (Tamworth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Count (Kindle Edition)
I am a Robert Goddard fan through and through. Even his supposedly below-par books I found excellent.

'Blood Count' is typical Goddard. He takes a normal, to a point bland protaganist and thrusts him into a world of lies, betrayal, criminality and murder, a world in which our 'hero' manifestly doesn't belong. And this time that 'hero' is Edward Hammond, who, after performing life-saving surgery on a Serbian warlord during the Nineties, sees his actions come back to haunt him in the present.

The plot moves along at Goddard's usual pace, steadily but surely, as the tension is subtly cranked. Around every corner Hammond finds a new obstacle, bigger and more problematic. The writing is, in a word, beautiful - perhaps the author's greatest asset is his ability to write tense thrillers with a literary bent.

As with many Goddards, the story fizzles out slighty towards the conclusion, but that doesn't matter. With his stories it's not the destination but the journey.

You're bound to enjoy this.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little Forced, 25 April 2011
David Rea (Denver, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Count (Hardcover)
I've read all of Goddard's books and prefer the earlier ones, which are excellent. This was a bit of a slog at times for this reader and, I would guess, for the author as well. I could almost feel him straining to get the damn thing finished so he could go on holiday. While there were some interesting twists and turns - though not as many as in vintage Goddard - the characters were not particularly well-drawn. The protagonist could have been any of Goddard's more recent creations - the Hitchcockian innocent, who's rather too naive, even outright dim when it serves the plot. Perhaps Goddard needs to take a year off and find his joy for writing again before starting his next novel. I can wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Twists From An Old Master, 5 April 2011
Gary J. Murray "moss murray" (Sutton, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Count (Hardcover)
Although some have criticized the prolific Robert Goddard for being too formulaic in his approach, I for one find a level of comfort in knowing in advance what to expect from his novels: brilliantly constructed plots; unexpected twists and turns as the story develops; an apparantly overmatched protaganist fighting seemingly insurmountable odds; interesting and well-drawn characters; and a hightened sense of excitement as the story moves swiftly and inexorably to its conclusion. "Blood Count" satisfies on all these levels and more. This is Mr. Goddard's 22nd novel and it amazes me how he is still able to turn out such an entertaining page-turner of the first order. Bravo!

4.0 out of 5 stars Still not quite back to wonderful, 13 May 2011
A. W. Wilson - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Blood Count (Hardcover)
I suppose some of us can say we have read all Goddard's novels. I can and have. Without exception they have all been superior reads, full of twists, turns, suspense, and plain good writing, and therein lies the problem. I said without exception, but his last book Long Time Coming disapointed me. I kept waiting for that final gut wrenching twist and it never came. Sadly, and I hope this isn't a "Spoiler Alert" situation, I felt let down by the anti climactic ending of this one. Now probably that's just because I have come to expect so much and I would certainly not wish to put anyone not sure about buying this off a purchase. It's a good novel, no messing around, no cutting from character to character and setting to setting leaving you wanting to skip a chapter to find out what happens to what you have just been reading about (make sense??). So, just not 5 stars, and I await his next, cos I will read it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointing, 14 Nov 2011
This review is from: Blood Count (Hardcover)
I have to agree with the apparently common (but not universal) view of RG fans that this is another of his recent offerings that falls more into the "routine thriller" category than many of his earlier works. It's not that this isn't an enjoyable read by many standards - it's just that the storyline is less complex (one earlier reviewer aptly used the term "linear"), the characters less engaging, and, for me, the whole less satisfying than I had come to expect of RG. I say "had" rather than "have" because I'm sorry to say I'm now beginning to wonder whether RG will be able to reach his earlier standards with future novels, particularly if he is now inclined to shift from his more complex plotting towards action thrillers. One final point - I wrote the foregoing as an RG fan: this is still worth reading. (For those unfamiliar with RG and who want to read him at his best, in my view you can't do better than his first "Past Caring".)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet?, 8 April 2011
This review is from: Blood Count (Hardcover)
Another cracker & probably best yet. Literally could not put down, but as is often the case with Goddard the ending was a little weak but this one was saved by a suprising twist. A darned good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Goddard, 17 April 2011
Bluebell (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Blood Count (Hardcover)
I've read all Robert Goddard's novels and enjoyed them all. Not surprisingly with so many under his belt, they vary in quality. His 2009 offering ASIN:B0031RS4AM Found Wanting]] was a bit of a dip in quality; with an improvement last year with [ASIN:0593060261 Long Time Coming]]. Blood Count is more like vintage Goddard: a pacy plot with lots of twists and turns and surprises along the way. As is often the case in his books the main character, in this case a surgeon, Edward Hammond, gets himself embroiled in dastardly plots and deceptions conceived by others. He makes foolhardy decisions that lead him into endless scrapes. All exciting stuff that bowls the reader along wanting to find out what happens next as Hammond races back and forth across Europe trying to track down evidence that will exonerate him from blame for his estranged wife's death. The plot is topical with Serbian war criminals, untraceable movements of money and buried in the narrative issues of morality.
Enjoyable stuff: recommended if you've enjoyed Goddard's earlier books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping pace, 3 May 2014
David H J Ashdown (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Blood Count (Paperback)
I've not read Robert Goddard before but was impressed by this novel about a surgeon ,Edward Hammond ,who saved a Serbian gangster's life by giving him a liver transplant. Now 13 years later that act has come back to haunt him and leads him on a bloody trail ostensibly to enable Dragan Gazi's ill gotten gains to be released to his family. He only complies because he's thinks they have evidence that'll damage his reputation at best or cause him to be imprisoned at worst. A fast paced novel that's slightly let down by the abrupt ending that left a lot of unanswered questions that could have been dealt with and would have rounded things off.

Blood Count