5.0 out of 5 stars If you like A Year in the Merde...
Published on 20 April 2011 by jenny thomasson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in Parts
Stephen Clarke is a student of the absurdities of life. He's at his best when he is detailing them, whether current or historical. France is a good country for an absurdist to write about, as much of its history has a slightly ridiculous ring about it.
Published 22 months ago by D. Collier

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like A Year in the Merde..., 20 April 2011
then you'll love this. I personally find Stephen Clarke to be an honest and very funny man. If you have a bit of a Paris obsession like myself, then it's nice to have the views of someone who is living that life! The opinions in this book are clearly his own and of course open to debate, however, if you want a book to pass some time in an informatively funny way then you'll like this. I think I now own everything he's written to date, and would always recommend his books to others purely because he makes me laugh.
If you want something touching and historically accurate then go buy Graham Robbs book,Parisians, an adventure history, which is also very good, but in a very different way.

I eargerly await your next offering Stephen, you put a smile on my cynical face!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in Parts, 3 Sep 2012
D. Collier "Haze-Dweller" (North West England) - See all my reviews
The most readable passages in this book are in that vein. I lived and worked in Paris some years ago and I would have much welcomed this book at the time, to help me seek out some of the facets I missed.
And Paris has a lot of facets, and as Stephen Clarke alludes to, you don't really need to do much more than stand where you are and look about, for a selection of them to be revealed to you.
That said, I am not quite sure who the audience is, that he is aiming at in this book. Some of the book, such as how to buy a house, would not be something that most visitors would find they get involved in, and some of it, such as where all the metro lines go, seemed to me to be boring and meaningless. Could it be that he was under pressure from the publisher (or his mortgage company) to get the book finished quickly?
But those gripes aside, the parts where he gets into his stride are very informative and entertaining, and give a good feel of the conflicting pressures that made, and make, Paris what it is.
Though with one glaring omission, and given the colour, exoticism and often amusing aspects of that omission, I am surprised in a way that he left it out. It is the immigrants. Paris is a very multicultural city these days, which enriches the opportunities for an wandering observationist immensely. I hope that that topic was simply felt to be too much of a hot potato, and that he isn't just going about and not seeing that the immigrants are there, for he'd be missing out if he were.
But for anyone planning to visit Paris, buy this book, and you can remember as you dip into it that the places the guidebooks want to herd you into are the least illuminating, for the most part.

3.0 out of 5 stars Paris Revealed: Stephen Clarke, 20 July 2011
Ideal for someone who knows Paris well, or is about to move there. I don't so I found it more interesting to dip into. Some interesting historical insight but the section about the metro lines was too detailed for me. I really enjoy Stephen Clarke's books, however, and have read most of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made a perfect week in Paris, 5 Jan 2013
I bought this book when I was going to Paris for a week over Christmas. This book was the perfect guide - I didn't want to do obvious things like the Louvre, and this had so many places to visit that my whole week was full. I especially loved the list of interesting Metro stops - and tried my hardest to make my way round them all. The cafe and restaurant recommendations were also very much appreciated.

I have been known to say that Stephen Clarke should maybe stop writing all these "Lol, French people" books, but I am very glad he wrote this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not ANOTHER book on Paris?, 4 April 2011
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This is a decent enough read, loads of facts that you won't necessarily find in a guide book, easily digested chapters and a fair few jokes all combine to make this an easy to read and enjoyable book but there is something missing. The lack of seriousness the author brings to the subject became grating for me, and eventually I had to put the book down as I found myself becoming annoyed at the endless attempts at humour. I suppose the fault lies in my expectations as I should have realised what the book was about as the author specialises in witty and offbeat collections of facts and stories and this book is no different. So I couldn't read the book as you might read a novel, but as a pick up and put down book ideal for the bedside or the smallest room in the house.On that basis it works but don't expect any great revelations about the city of lights.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, and even a good re-read., 19 Nov 2011
Ian Dempster - See all my reviews
I moved to Paris about a year ago and bought a few books to learn about the place. This is one of the best ones. It has a multitude of interesting historical facts about the city, and has interesting, accurate and amusing observations about the Parisians. It is well worth reading before a trip to Paris. His 'A Year in the Merde' is also good reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the author, 1 April 2014
I received exactly what I ordered as shown on the picture. I love this authorand had many happy hours reading it. Thank you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and useful, 16 Jan 2014
This review is from: Paris Revealed: The Secret Life of a City (Kindle Edition)
A funny and useful guide to Paris from an insider's point of view. Occasionally a bit repetitive in tone but good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paris Revealed, 5 Nov 2013
I am completely happy with this book and lots of people have borrowed it. I love Paris so when I saw it I had to buy it. Good move!

5.0 out of 5 stars A lire., 10 Sep 2013
This book is spot on about Paris. If you are not Parisian 'de souche', but you are living there, about to live there, or have just left, and if you actually have or want to have any type of meaningful relationship with French Parisians, this book will explain large parts about why there are how they are. Great factual detail about the city, too. I did not anticipate liking this book, but read it in a flash.