5.0 out of 5 stars A sturdy, elegant, best-in-class netbook
I've done a long research before buying this netbook. Netbooks, when it comes to system configuration, are a bit similar across the board (all of them come with the same basic configuration these days: 200+GB Hard drive, WLAN, BT, webcam and Windows 7).

Things to mind when buying a netbook, in my humble opinion:

* Battery life - You WILL want to use...
Published on 22 Aug 2011 by Phototraveller

1.0 out of 5 stars A huge letdown
So, like a lot of others, I'm someone that likes to do a lot of research before committing to buy something expensive. I needed a netbook as my beloved old hector of a laptop was slowing running out of battery power and it only had a 'G' spec wireless card.

After many hours of research, the Asus 1015px came out on top. consistently good reviews, all the...
Published on 17 Oct 2011 by Bobs42

5.0 out of 5 stars A sturdy, elegant, best-in-class netbook, 22 Aug 2011
This review is from: Asus EeePC 1015PX 10.1 inch netbook (Intel Atom N570 1.66GHz, 1Gb, 250Gb, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Win 7 Starter) - Black (Personal Computers)

Things to mind when buying a netbook, in my humble opinion:

* Battery life - You WILL want to use it without being hooked up to the wall - the size itself compels you to;
* Sturdiness - You will be taking it around, so you want it to endure a bit of abuse;
* Processor - Not so much for light usage, but I've found out that, with a good processor, this little thing can cater for my usual computer needs more often than I've thought.
* Comfort - I didn't personally want something that would make me crave for a huge laptop every 5 minutes.

Bearing in mind the items I've listed above, I might as well say that I've found the perfect netbook for my needs.

The battery life on the 1015PX is quite good. I haven't spent lots of time in it yet, since I have it for about a week now, but I can safely say it is quite long. Long as in 6 hours or more, with the occasional video being crammed in those hours.

When it comes to sturdiness, this netbook is a rock. Seriously, it looks like the first born of my business class laptop. As you might as well know, business laptops are built to be abused and this netbook seems to have been built ready for it as well. The back of it has no flaps or openings (besides the well placed - and secured - RAM memory port). The heat vent is on its side (which is a bless, allowing you to use it comfortably in the lap). The keyboard keys are firm,as the touchpad buttons are as well. All in all, this netbook build quality is better by miles than many laptops I have used in the past (I'm looking at you, HP laptops).

It comes with a dual-core Atom N570 processor. The N570 is one of the latest Atom processors to be released by Intel (it was released back in April, if I'm not wrong). Don't get me wrong, the N455 processor will probably cater the web-browsing needs of most people, but I wanted to be able to watch videos in this thing. Its display is a 1024x600, meaning that it can't really show a 720p in all its glory, but that doesn't have to mean it shouldn't be able to display a 720p video at all. For that, you need a processor better than the N455 and for this price, the N570 fits the bill perfectly.

Now, comfort. This netbook is light (1.6kgs - which is about half the weight of a common 15.6in laptop), which makes it good for carrying it around or having it on your lap for hours. It is silent. I mean, DEAD silent. You can use it with someone sleeping right by your side (and I know what I'm talking, since I'm the one generally sleeping). It doesn't get warm at all, letting you have it on your lap for hours without that discomfort big laptops can give you. The keyboard is perfect. I can't get used with a common keyboard on laptops anymore, it has to be a chiclet keyboard for me now. Something to do with the key spacing, I think. The keyboard is quite comfortable, allowing you to type away a long time, as long as you are used to chiclet keyboards. If you're not, you will get used and want your next computer to have such keyboard as well. The screen is crisp and, although I'm used with working at 1280x1024, the smaller resolution feels natural for a 10.1in display.

A remark about Windows 7 Starter: You don't need to upgrade. The only difference is the eye candy. Windows 7 Starter doesn't let you customise your desktop as much as other Windows versions, but I've found out that, apart from the wallpaper, the rest is fine. Sincerely, the Windows Aero features (transparency on the taskbar and windows titles, Aero Peek, etc.) don't justify the extra investment to upgrade to Windows Home Premium. Download the System Setting application from ASUS (it is available under the model 1005HA) to change your wallpaper and be happy.

I've bought myself a RAM memory upgrade to 2GB. I can't evaluate how much better the system behaves with it because it didn't arrive yet. The system works quite well with 1GB, with jsut the occasional freeze.

All in all, this netbook is a thing of beauty. It comfortably replaces a common laptop for light users and doesn't let any heavy users feeling uncomfortable. Of course, this netbook is not for gaming or encoding videos but if you're buying a netbook for these ends you're doing it wrong, in my opinion. You can find better (and more expensive) machines for these purposes (check machines with the E-350 processor, which comes with a quite good GPU bundled).

5.0 out of 5 stars All I need., 5 July 2011
Firstly, thanks a lot to CW for a great review, one that helped me decide on this netbook.

I downsized to the Asus 1015px from a larger, Samsung laptop with a Core 2 Duo processor and was expecting to notice a significant drop in performance. Although it's a bit slower at times, with the recommended 2gig ram upgrade, it's certainly never annoyingly slow. In fact for most things (ie nothing too graphically intensive like serious games) it breezes along quite happily and I'll be doing everything I did on my full size laptop with this, apart from play dvds, but I'll get an external drive if that turns out to be an issue. Getting used to a smaller screen hasn't been a problem either, after a short while it just seems normal.

I agree the sound isn't exactly room filling but as mentioned it can be tweaked with a bit of effort and I've got mine running loud enough for my (crap) ears.

Regarding the sensitivity of the touchpad, it can be 'intelligently' adjusted, via the Elan Smartpad window from the taskbar, so as not to react so readily to unintended input and I've had no problem with mine.

I know Windows 7 Starter has been well slagged off by a lot of people but I've chosen not to upgrade, mainly because I'm poor! Anyway, it's fine for what I need to do, and by Googling I've found all sorts of ways to personalise the desktop, including 'Oceanis' for easily changing the wallpaper. So I reckon if you're not sure about Windows 7 Starter just try it out first before you worry about upgrading.

The excellent non reflective screen is very bright and I have mine turned down to half way most of the time. This obviously helps the already excellent battery life, but don't expect 11 hours, I get about 6 or 7.

Everything you read seems to suggest tablets are the way forward but I know I couldn't possibly use a tablet as my only computer, even though my needs are modest. This netbook, on the other hand, is now all I use and it suits me fine. I chose the Asus 1015px after a lot of humming and harring, I'm very pleased I did because it works brilliantly.

5.0 out of 5 stars asus 1015pt review, 16 Jun 2011
C. Waters (Nottinghamshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Having had an asus 1015px for just over a week I have to say how pleased i am with it.

The only negatives i have found so far is that the touch pad for the mouse is a little too sensitive and close to the space bar meaning i accidently hit it every now and again and causing the cursor to jump! No Usb 3.0 ports (but I use a nas so no problem) and no 3g, but has gigabit LAN, Bluetooth and WiFi, so it makes up for it :)

I would recommend updating the memory to 2gb - DDR3 - 10600 SODIMM, amazon currently are selling this extra memory for only 13.99 for the 2gb by crucial, an absoloute bargain

i would also recommend updating the windows OS from Win 7 starter to win 7 home premium another bargain at Amazon (Search windows 7 anytime upgrade), currently around 40 to
upgrade from windows 7 starter to windows 7 home premium

I have checked the windows experience index using win 7 home premium and the results are, 3.3 processor, 4.6 memory, 3.1 graphics, 5.6 hard drive.

I have streamed movies to this netbook and it has been superb, No jitters, etc.

I have tested playing 720p video and there is no issue either on playback, Alhough slightly pointless testing 720p video, as the maximum screen resolution is 1152x864. The default
display 1024x600 is more than acceptable enough and the quality of the image and pictures is superb.

The only other downside I found initially was that the sound is a little quiet. This has been easily overcome by either increasing the equaliser in windows media player to
maximum or over-riding the system maximum volume and "doubling the upper limit"

I seriously looked at various netbooks and checked many reviews, it was a tough call between this and a samsung one, however the price point on this won me over and it is very good
for the price and performance of the battery (currently in use 8 hours) is excellent.

The pros of the samsung was that it's display was 720p, however it utilises the same graphics chip as this, which would have meant more pressure on its aging processor.

The processor on the 1015px is a N570, which is 33% faster than a n450 and clocked at 1.6ghz (not 1.5 amazon! tsk tsk!)

You get a nice budled software - excel starter and word starter FREE with this too a very nice feature as well as some cool asus software so that you do not have to start windows everytime to browse everything.... you can use asus software quickly if you need to....

Overall a great experience, the wife enjoys this is much as I do, it handles as expected youtube, movies, outlook, office 2010 professional (which I upgraded) etc all very well and multi tasks very well...

It will never be as fast as your desktop, but its not far off, it certainly seems to beat the old celeron laptop I had... and this is more smaller, lighter and stylish

The finish for black is matt, a little grease marks can appear, but if your a techie like me you will love and cherish it...

You will need to get yourself a cover, I went for the belkin 10.2 netbook cover at 6 from amazon get it as soon as you can, you wont regret it :)

Oh and for the apple junkies out there, move along move along! This is far too cool for you! for those that like looks And
practicality get this.... for those that like to pose and not be as productive as you could with your virtual keyboard, get an ipad!

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus 1015PX, 8 July 2011
I bought one of these netbooks after a lot of research into the different options. I was mainly swung by the N570 chip and the matt screen and I'm glad I was. I have no complaints about this machine (using it now). The battery life is excellent and the system runs nicely even without the upgrade to 2GB. I will probably upgrade this at some point but don't see a need to do it immediately.

Windows 7 Starter is fine and to be honest for surfing the web, email and social media you really don't need anything else.

The main reason for getting this was because of an increasing need for me to travel with work. This is ideal for that purpose and has very quickly replaced my larger acer laptop as my main machine.

The keyboard is fine but I would recommend buying a small mouse as the trackpad isn't as good as on a larger machine.

The matt screen is brilliant even in bright lights - far better in fact than my larger shinier machine as there is little or no reflection.

My only reservation when buying this was that I had heard some users had encountered issues using services such as iplayer. I have had not problems with this at all and it is really the main use for the machine. I can only assume they had a slow network connection.

In summary - highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars really Great product, 19 July 2011
I'm very happy with the quality of the ASUS EEEPc 1015PX. Had no problems at all to install 2GB memory that I bought for it.
It takes literally 3 minuntes and you do not need to take off the whole keyboard like in the old models. One screw and you are done !

It has got a processor that is recognized in the Windows as 4 core processor !

Due to its size obviously it is perfect for travel and not home use, but it is as powerfull as my proper laptop I bought 1 year ago.
No problems running DVDs from ISO file, DivX , Excel complex macros, Corel, and browsing internet.
It simply does the job but the upgrade to 2GB RAM is a must.
Also instead of pre-installed Windows 7 I use now Win XP (installed from bootable USB) and it is briliant and fast.

These days it is the lighter little PC on the market with weight of 1,15kg

100% recommended and does what you expect it to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 17 Aug 2011
M. Lynn (Herne Hill, SE24) - See all my reviews
Took delivery of the netbook today, with the crucial 2GB RAM & belkin netbook case option. First impressions when you look at it is that it is very well designed and is very sleek. Everyone at work that has seen it today has been very impressed with it. The two items that I particularly like are the weight of 1.6Kg which is very light and the screen which is very clear and sharp.

Do be careful, you may need to upgrade the OS as Windows starter is very limited but for what I wanted to use the netbook for, it suits my needs. The only negative point is why do they ship the netbook with only 1GB of RAM, they should offer it in 2GB as you end up buying the 2GB DIMM and throwing out the 1GB DIMM.

To anyone out there looking to buy this, you will not regret getting it. At the price its a real bargain. Do make sure that you remove some of the software bloatware that Asus install and there are lots of startup and windows services that can be turned off via msconfig that arent needed. This will help increase the amount of free RAM that's available.

One other thing the Belkin case that is linked to this is slightly too big for the netbook, there is a gap of approx 1cm between the netbook and the zip so it isn't a snug fit that I expected it to be. But this is the only minor flaw.

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Little Machine, 19 Oct 2011
I briefly had an Acer Aspire One netbook, but it did not live up to expectations at all, so I had higher hopes for this nice little Asus.

First impressions are pretty good: When you first get it out of the box the machine feels relatively light, even with the very good six sell battery in tow. In terms of how it looks it's pretty standard. Unfortunately most parts of the machine pick up grease and dust like a magnet - especially bad is the touchpad and the the areas surrounding it, and the very shiny bezel which is impossible not to touch when opening the lid.

The keyboard on this machine is one of the best I've used - its chiclet design has a quality feel to it, and the keys aren't too noisy. Most importantly, it's very easy to type on.

The touchpad is pretty good as well - upon first use it feels very hard to move your fingers around on but after some use it becomes more how you'd expect a touchpad to feel. The built-in touchpad software allows for multi-touch gestures, which is very nice for scrolling and right-clicking.

Performance-wise, I would say this is the fastest new netbook you can get for the price (currently two hundred and fifty pounds in October 2011). The Intel Atom 570 is very nippy, and as long as you don't load up application after application, the chip will perform happily doing a bit of browsing, video watching and document writing. It copes fine with 720p YouTube videos, and performs reasonably well with 720p mkv files as well. My brief time with the Acer Aspire One saw me getting frustrated with its shortfalls when conducting basic web-related tasks - this machine gives me none of that frustration. I'd say the 570 is the bare minimum processor you should be looking to find in a modern netbook.

The machine only comes with 1GB of RAM - I strongly suggest anybody who likes to keep lots of tabs open in their browser to buy the 2GB RAM featured on this page.
2GB, 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 memory module
It's extremely easy to fit - there's a flap on the bottom which you have to unscrew and unclip, but it's literally a 2 minute job, compared to other netbooks where you have to have a degree in computer science and dainty fingers to work out how to replace the RAM

Battery life is excellent - it's no the 11 hours Asus advertises, but the manufacturers' estimates are never accurate. Based on my usage, I have managed to get between 7 and 8 hours life out of a single charge, which is extremely impressive considering the amount of use I got out of it.

The device does get pretty hot at times, but not uncomfortably so. I'd describe the heat on my thighs right now as 'toasty'. It's also a pretty quiet netbook.

The machine comes loaded with some Asus software, most of which I uninstalled or deactivated. It also comes with Dual OS options - you can activate the option to boot up a simple OS which allows you to browse the web within seconds. I don't really see the point of it myself, but it does allow you access to the web in just 10-15 seconds if you're in a huge hurry. Windows 7 Starter works as it should - the only downside to it is the lack of desktop customisation, but that's really the only feature you'll miss on a basic machine like this. It also comes with Office 2010 Starter - ad-supported versions of Word and Excel, which is a nice touch.

The screen is bright enough and its resolution is nothing special at 1024*600, but perfectly usable on most websites. The speakers aren't particularly loud but this isn't really a bad thing on a netbook - some compromises have to me made to keep them at such a small size.

Overall, I'd say this is a fantastic little netbook, let down only by its grease magnetism and its lack of RAM and love of bloatware. If you're looking for a netbook, even if you don't choose this one, choose one with a similar processor or you may find yourself getting frustrated with performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, Powerful, Value NetBook! - Asus EeePC 1015PX, 2 Sep 2011
R. Young (Essex, U.K.) - See all my reviews
I just had to write a review for the Eee-PC 1015PX, because it is fabulous and brilliant value for money!

If you don't have long to read, do not worry, just BUY IT! You will not be disappointed!!!

I work online for about 12-18 hours a day and need my tech to be top notch in terms of speed. I did purchase 2GB (circa 13) of RAM and upgraded upon unboxing. I believe it is a real shame 2GB does not come as standard with this excellent CPU.

My main laptop is really a desktop replacement with an 18.4 inch display, 16GB Ram, i7, 4 core CPU. A monster, costing nearly 8 times as much. So how on earth can I like this tiny 10.1 inch netbook?

I have tried a couple of netbooks in the past but not for long as they drove me crazy waiting for anything to happen. I watched in despair as my son's birthday pressee took an age to load a simple web page (his birthday is June, it's now only August and his netbook cost the same money).

I was going away on a short trip and needed a small solution to get me online, so I didn't want to spend much. My thought was to give it to my other son on my return. However, I am not sure I am going to want to part with this!

I was already impressed with it working on my home Wifi broadband but I have just tested it with Mobile broadband, to surf and upload to my website, connect to a VPS via RDC, pull about 4000 records from an offsite Wordpress, MySQL database, manipulate and create files with Excel 2010 and Word 2010 and it accomplished all of this without me once thinking "wow this is slow". In fact I was thrilled!

Now I am certain if you are into games then this is not what you need (even though it could handle the processing) but if it can please a web marketer with some serious work loads, then it will also please any business user and delight a general PC home user or school student.

Any complaints? The mouse bar is a bit tinny sounding when clicking - Do I care? - Not on your nelly!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good as a portable wordprocessor, 29 Aug 2011
I bought this as a portable tool for research purposes, making notes in libraries, etc. so what I needed was a wordprocessor which could also link easily to the internet. It comes with WordPad installed and this is what I use. The wireless connection works well.

I have not activated the Office 2010 starter package because I suspect it only works online. I could find no explicit advice anywhere whether offline working is possible. But Wordpad is OK for my needs and its files are readable by Word on other computers.

The key board feels good and is quiet. I had to change the touchpad settings (easy to do) to prevent inadvertent jumping of the cursor while typing. The touchpad buttons (left and right) make a noticeable clicking sound which is slightly irritating (in quiet libraries) but I've got used to it.

When I first used it I installed Norton Internet Security in place of the installed software (which I uninstalled). I was amazed to find that Windows Update needed to install 50 updates, which I allowed to occur in one session. Having installed the updates the computer seemed to go into a spin for 90 mins, displaying the message 'Please wait while Windows configures. Do not switch off computer'. I allowed it to get on with it and it eventually reverted to normal operation.

The other thing I like about this netbook is the battery capacity: I easily get more than 11 hours of use between charges. It is also very light and packs into a rucksack inside pocket or small briefcase very easily.

I have not used any of the other many applications installed on the netbook (ASUS and Windows) and probably never will because my purposes are limited. For this reason I will not be expanding the memory. I'm glad I bought the machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab little netbook, 4 July 2011
I ordered this netbook after spending hours reviewing the different models and makes on offer.

I must say that this is a super little machine with a powerful processor. Fast to load and reload. I personally purchased a mouse as the pad is a little sensitive.

Having only had it a few days I would recommend it highly.