5.0 out of 5 stars Aurvana, 14 Mar 2012
Amazon Customer (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Creative Aurvana in-ear3 Premium Noise-isolating in-ear Earphones with Balanced Armature Tweeter and Woofer Design, includes Travel Case and Cable Holder (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are a couple of key elements in any review of noise isolating ear phones:

1. Do they sound good?
2. Do they insulate your ears from the depredations of the outside world?

The Creative Aurvana In-Ear3s go some way to satisfying both conditions.

Impressions:
The earphones arrive suspended in clear plastic. The box was nice enough for me to want to keep it and there were a remarkable number of accessories packed into the small space: a plethora of earbuds, a cleaning tool, a carrying case, and there was still room for the warranty and instruction leaflet.

The headphones themselves look fantastic, with a glossy dark coppery finish and a slick shape. They'll definitely separate you from the crowds of dull black CX300s and white Ipod buds.

Sound isolation:
Since the level of isolation is heavily dependent on the buds fitting snug in your lugholes, it's a good thing that Creative have provided so many different sizes. I tried just about all of them and the difference between a poor fit (the small ones) to a great fit (the foam plugs) is huge. I went from barely hearing the music to being blasted with sound when a proper isolation was found.

Here are some settings I tested the isolation in:
At Work - The dull conversations of my workmates were turned into faint, unintelligible rumblings while I was actually listening to something, but during quiet parts of songs or pauses in speech, I was still able to hear them. The isolation is good, but it isn't complete.

On the bus/train - The earbuds are perfect for travelling on the bus and train. Engine noise is reduced significantly, and the fact that I was able to doze off on a 3hr train ride next to a group of drunk 17yr olds while listening to podcasts attests to their efficacy. Again, the isolation isn't complete, but it reduces sound enough to make it easily ignorable.

Walking around - Lyrics and podcasts remain easily comprehensible even on busy streets and at relatively low volumes, which is more than I can say of some of my other headphones. There is some cable transference, which manifests as a dull boom with each step, but that can be mitigated by tucking the cable under my jacket or shirt.

Running - I was somewhat hesitant to use such expensive headphones on a run, but I thought it would be interesting to hear how bad the cable transference might be and to feel how stable the fit in my ears is. Each stride still made a boom in my ears, but I still found it easy to listen to the music, and after a while I didn't notice. Noise isolation is the same as walking, which means that a great deal of the street noise is shut off, but not so much that a car could speed past me without me hearing it.

The fit is definitely snug enough for a half hour run. I think I only had to adjust them once or twice before forgetting they were in my ears. However, I probably wouldn't run in them again for fear of sweat or rain frying their electronics.

Sound:
The Aurvanas offer a remarkably clean and spacious sound. I listen to artists that run from classical to rap and I felt that the 'phones gave their best on tracks with a clear melody - they represent vocals and soaring strings or synths very well. That isn't to say they can't replicate bass, but I did feel that bassier tracks lacked a little punch. Their sound profile reminds me of my Sennheiser HD280s in that it doesn't impart a great deal of colour to any track, instead excelling in accuracy and detail.

Well produced radio shows and podcasts sound great on the Aurvanas, since the clarity lends itself well to speech without stressing trebles enough to make listening tiresome.

Because of the strong isolation, I never had to turn the volume up too high on any of my devices, which I imagine saves some wear on battery life and ears, while avoiding any kind of distortion that might have come from straining the drivers.

All in all, the sound is balanced and they're probably the best in-ear headphones I've ever used, though most of my previous in-ears were under £50.

Niggles:
Most of this review has been praise, but there are some issues.

The cable tangles itself extremely easily, especially if you forget to move the cable management gubbin to keep the two buds together. The cables will knot themselves like Medusa's hair in any scenario, though. It is possible to keep them in their carrying case, but that isn't realistic for me, since I'm usually taking them off and putting them on several times throughout the day.

Getting a perfect fit (and thus good sound and isolation) can be slightly fiddly, though I've never encountered a situation where I've had to give up and persist with a bad fit. You can't just pull them out and pop them back in with the ease of lesser earbuds, though.

Aside from those minor quibbles, the Aurvanas offer solid isolation (though not, I suspect, 90%) and impressive sound. They're particularly good for travelling and for concentrating at work.

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, but slightly disappointing., 23 Jan 2012
L. W. Newton "lwn83" (Nottingham, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First thing you notice about these Creative earphones is the masses of plastic packaging that comes with them, they arrive in a display case that once you have battled your way through the plastic box you have to carefully remove the earphones from, then under the display case is yet another layer of plastic and under that is a box that the accessories are tucked away in. I find the amount of packaging a complete waste of precious resources, why not a simple cardboard box nicely printed ETC.

The earphones themselves are fairly well finished in a metallic bronze colour and look fairly well put together, but suspect the cables exiting the earphone will eventually become a problem. Cable length is good at around 1.2 mtr (4ft) from plug to phones but the cable itself is very thin.

I'm slightly disappointed with the sound quality of these earphones, to me they sound slightly dull in the high range and when pushed seem to produce a clicking noise with cymbals, I have had these running via my Creative X-fi 2 and a Fiio E5 headphone amp also used them on my laptop. Bass is nice and not over blown but push these Creatives and they just don't like it, yes they are a two way system and seem to take a little more driving. I've been comparing these Creative with my Ultimate Ears Super-Fi 5 pros, and must say the Creative lack well behind in terms of clarity and pure musical performance. maybe I have been spoiled.

The Aurvana's claim to be noise cancelling, but this is not an active system, it relies solely on the fitment of the phones in the ears, which is very good and also very comfortable, and yes it does effectively cancel out external noise, a very good selection of silicone as well as foam tips are provided and two sets of all sizes which is a bonus. Also provided is a adapter for in-flight sockets, but as I have found out these don't always fit and is a bit of a lottery, a cleaning tool is also provided. I found that putting the cable over the top of your ears and then down behind the ears the most comfortable way to wear the earphones.

The case supplied is practical and made of black leather with the headphones and cable stored on a plastic holder to keep them safe whilst in a pocket.

These phone are very wearable if a tad weak in the sound, you get a great range of tips. I would have liked to have seen a 6.25mm to 3.5mm adaptor socket supplied so you can use these Aurvana earphones with serious HiFi.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not "micro studio speakers", but still Aurvana, 28 Jan 2012
SpecialOrder937 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"Imagine if you could shrink down a set of studio speakers so that they fit into your ear." So says the blurb on the Aurvana In-Ear3s' packaging. This is really more wishful thinking than a reality. Anyone who's familiar with studio speakers knows that their effect cannot be accurately reproduced by open-backed headphones, let alone in-ear 'phones such as these. It's less about the quality of audio, and more the resonance of air; with any type of loudspeaker, sound waves have room to propagate and resonate, but with in-ear 'phones the sound waves are absorbed at the source, making it seem as if the sound is coming from inside your own head. This makes for a different kind of audio experience to speakers, but Creative are so keen to convince you otherwise they've chosen the moniker "in-ear micro studio speakers" over the more usual "in-ear headphones".

Even though they don't have a hope of recreating the experience of studio speakers, the Aurvana In-Ear3s are still pretty good for 'phones of their type. In fact, they're better than good; they're great. The dual driver design produces balanced, well-defined audio, the build quality and presentation are excellent, and they fit more easily and comfortably than any other in-ear headphones I've ever tried. This last is thanks largely to the fact that the cables go over the tops of your ears, meaning there's less pull on them.

Don't be coaxed into thinking the In-Ear3s are "micro studio speakers", but for listening to mixes when there's no other option - possibly when you're on the move and noise isolation is important - you could do a lot worse.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB, 12 Feb 2014
CREATIVE AUVANA IN EAR 3 EARPHONES

COMFORTABLE
GOOD SOUND REPRODUCTION
GOOD NOISE ISOLATION
EASY TO TRANSPORT
COULD NOT ASK FOR ANYTHING MORE

5.0 out of 5 stars nice in-ear headphone, 7 April 2013
nice stereo effect, excellent isolation,and very comfortable to wear.

just one drawbacks, the wire is too puny and thin.

it worths the price definitely~

4.0 out of 5 stars The over-ear cable loop makes all the difference!, 28 Mar 2013
Mr. Ian Thomas "Swarley" (Cambridgeshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In the past, I have always found two consistent problems with all noise-isolating earphones that I have tried:

- they do isolate external sound quite well, but the sound quality is not that great, particularly the bass frequencies

- the silicone tips simply don't grip enough to keep the earphones in my ears when moving around, even just walking about

These Aurvanas are the most premium noise-isolating earphones I have tried so far, and they are clearly the best. They look, feel and sound premium compared to the others. The bass is rich and full, the sound is well balanced, and they are a pleasure to listen to even in quiet environments when you don't need to block out any noise. They feel quite solid and weighty due to the decent build quality, and yet the inventive design with the over-ear cable loops means they stay put, even when I move about.

Now I don't really agree that they block out "up to 98%" of noise, but they do significantly reduce distracting background noises in an office/transport environment. They're certainly much better than any other earphone I have tried, other than my active noise-cancelling Sennheiser PXC 450 - NoiseGard Active Noise Canceling Headphones. The supplied cable winder, travel pouch and aeroplane adaptor make these ideal for taking on holiday, especially if space is tight.

If you're looking for noise-isolating earphones that sound great, block out quite a lot of background noise, and don't fall out when you move about, these are an excellent option. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars For the price, very impressed, 8 Mar 2013
Sound is great, previously had a pair of Shure 425, sound compares very well, very clean. Bass not particularly strong if thats what your looking for, but I'm not. I only worry about the durability. Cables are quite thin and unlike the shures cannot be replaced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed these headphones..., 27 Sep 2012
Mike J (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
##### Update Dec.13, I have changed my score from 4 to 5 stars, after many months of listening, these earphones are just amazing. I've tried many other quality ear / headphones since, and nothing has come close #####

I rarely give 5 star reviews, as very few products are near perfect, but I was very close to giving these headphones 5 stars. Never before have I gone back and forth between 4 and 5 stars so much.

In essence, these headphones are nicely made, sound great, isolate noise going out, and coming in very well. They are comfortable, look smart, the storage case is great, the bass and clarity are fantastic! So why 4 stars then?

The reason is, they can sound great, but getting them to sound good requires fiddling with EQ settings, almost on a song by song basis, assuming you're not listening to an album of all similar music.

When plugged into my personal CD player, which has no EQ settings, they sounded awful. Plugged into an iPod Touch on flat EQ, they are just OK. But, fiddle with the EQ and they come alive!

On the iPod Touch, just ignore the EQ setting titles, like rock, Latin, classical... they are just different presets which you need to scroll through to find the one that sounds best to you. I found Latin very good, but I don't listen to Latin music. I listen to lots of dancey stuff, I like a very forward treble and not too much bass, and I got just the sound I like from these great headphones... after much playing with settings.

As mentioned before, the noise isolation in and out is really good, and they fitted my ear so well, I could lay my head down and still listen to them in comfort. They are quite complex to put on though, I had to read the instructions and often got it wrong... sounds ridiculous I know, but if you get some, you will see what I mean. However once on, I could wear them all day.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 27 Jun 2012
These are a bit fiddly to put in but very comfortable once they are in place. There are lots of different size & type ear pieces. I use the foam ones - just squish them up to warm them & make them a bit more pliable. A great sound for the size & the noise reduction means that I can put my big ones away when I need them at the dentist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good noise isolation, reasonable quality, but not overwhelmed by sound, 13 Feb 2012
David Precious (Herts, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I must admit, I was slightly underwhelmed by the initial impression I got upon trying out these earphones. I've been using Creative's Aurvana Air earphones for a while and found those to provide phenomenal sound quality, so I was hoping for even better from these, given their bold claims of multiple drivers and "a set of studio speakers which fit in your ear". Even after getting them to fit into my ears well, and twiddling the sound settings on my audio sources (I tested them both from my MP3 player and my laptop), I found the bass to be a little lacking, and the high-end to be a little lacking in definition and crispness. They were certainly acceptable, but didn't overwhelm me with the kind of sound quality Creative's marketing would have you expect.

Comfort-wise, once you've picked an appropriate tip to suit your ears and managed to get the units nestled into your ear properly, they're reasonably comfortable, but I couldn't wear them for particularly long without feeling uncomfortable, whereas it's easy to almost forget you're wearing the Aurvana Air 'phones. However, this is a somewhat unfair comparison, as the two products are designed with different aims - the Aurvana In-Ear3 'phones have been designed to isolate external noises, which requires some design choices which are going to make their presence felt more.

Noise-isolation-wise, they do a quite good job; I've worn these on busy trains and found that, even without music playing, they can mostly block out the inane chattering of the fellow cattle, sorry, passengers, and the sounds of the train itself. For maximum effectiveness, of course, use the expanding foam tips - roll them between your fingers first, insert the 'phones, and wait as the foam expands back outwards to mould itself to the shape of your outer ear canal.

Quality-wise, the packaging exudes quality, but the 'phones themselves don't have quite such a convincing feel of quality compared to the Aurvana Air 'phones I use normally. They still feel quite well made though, with the same quality cable, so I would expect them to last (and who wouldn't, at this price point?).

The travel case which is supplied with them, whilst useful, felt of much lower quality than the one supplied with the Aurvana Air earphones, too, but is sufficient to stow them away safely. The assortment of replacement tips of different shapes means you should find ones to suit your ears, and the double-pronged adaptor means you can use them on planes - which is a good place to want the noise isolation features offered here.