5.0 out of 5 stars Yay! Its a goodie!
Published on 9 May 2011 by Sarahmw1

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I am a huge fan of this series but the last two books have seriously let me down. It feels as if CH has run out of ideas and is producing something, anything, just to fulfil her contractual obligations.
Published on 6 May 2011 by Smee

5.0 out of 5 stars Yay! Its a goodie!, 9 May 2011
I finished this book in one day, couldn't put it down. I was a bit dubious when I first ordered it after reading some of the other reviews, but thouroughly enjoyed the book. I disagree with some others opinions that this was a "filler" book (I thought that about previous book) but really felt that this one stood out on its own. I felt that it was stronger than some of the past books as this one seemed to have a bit more substance and a full plot line and didnt leave a whole list of questions that you wish had been answered. I'm a big fan of the true blood novel series and will of course buy the new books as they are released, but as a general opinion I feel that Charlaine Harris is drawing the books out a little too much, im always left wishing that the book was double the size! I realise this is the mark of a good writer but the True Blood books do tend to be only around 300-odd pages and large text so they aren't very substantial. This is a just an overall opinion of the series and shouldn't detract anyone from buying this newest book as it was very enjoyable and one of the best she's had out recently.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 6 May 2011
Smee (London UK) - See all my reviews
I found the book lacking in plot and if this is another filler as suggested by another reviewer then CH needs to up her game significantly in the next book but unfortunately I won't be waiting with bated breath for it!

There seemed to be a lot of descriptions that were not necessary to the story and no real substance. It's getting quite formulaic in that sookie is disappointed with Eric but loves him so much, Bill is hovering in the background and someone else is trying to kill her. There is a half hearted 'bedroom' scene which actaully made me wonder what CH was on when she wrote it (ice pack and yahoo palace and monkey grooming???) with a rushed fight scene at the end.

I guess she is lining up future books as there were some outstanding threads but overall the book left me with a big sense of "was that it?" and for £8.99 for the Kindle version that's not a great feeling!!

2.0 out of 5 stars All's not well in Sookie-Land ..., 3 Jun 2011
I can't believe I'm saying this ... BUT ... I was bored out of my mind reading this book --- not to mention really disappointed! "Dead Reckoning" just didn't feel like a Sookie Stackhouse novel at all. Somehow I couldn't shake the feeling that Charlaine Harris has run out of ideas. It felt like she just stringed together some random thoughts and then embellished them by writing long descriptons of everything to fill up the pages. Ask me a week from now about what actually happened in this book and I probably will have a hard time remembering --- there just wasn't anything memorable in the book!!!

The story basically consists of irrelevant happenings and absurd situations, none of which do anything to enrich the overall storyline of this series. There were more continuity errors than I could count. Secondary characters made short appearances for no apparent reason (those cameos certainly didn't help the story along or anything). Seriously --- what was that with Alcide suddenly popping up in Sookie's bedroom??? Was there any purpose to Lily and Jack Bard's visit? A real purpose I mean? What about Sandra Pelt? If Ms. Harris had made any of them an integral part of the storyline of this book --- fine. But the way she did it just felt completely random, and really didn't make a lot of sense.

As for the other characters --- everyone behaved completely out of character. Sookie and Eric had me rolling my eyes or wanting to smack them fairly frequently --- and that's never a good thing!!! Calling their relationship cold and dysfunctional would be an understatement, and personally after this novel I don't really see a happy ending coming for them. And then there's Amelia --- I really liked her in previous books, but Charlaine Harris managed to turn an intelligent and likable character into ... well ... the exact opposite!

After the first half of the book I found myself wishing for the end to come quickly, and when I got to the last 60 pages I actually started skipping and skimming paragraphs because I just wanted to be done with it. At this point I have to say I find myself hoping that Ms. Harris wraps it all up with the next book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear, 17 May 2011
i loved all the first true blood books. they were fast paced, romantic and kept you guessing! the plots were 100 miles per hour as were the characters.

The last two books however are a big no no for me.

This one is like a wet log fire! The book is very short. It seems almost begrudgingly written with no imagination, new ideas or anything else. It just limps along from the last (weak) book. The first half might as well have been written on a postage stamp as there is no story line at all.

I forced myself to finish this in the hope that something would happen. Nothing different. No plot twists.. Very disappointing. Even the end. Clearly meant to make you think that there would be another book, was limp and rushed. Very poor . CH really needs to up the game here!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 11 July 2011
i am a fan of the books and was glad to get this copy without a jacket picture of the cast from the HBO series. if you think the books follow the same story as the TV you will get confused as there are some fundamental departures from the written story.
however this in not why this book is a little disappointing, charlaine harris gets
us back into sookieverse but nothing much really happens in the book. Ok they kill off the baddie but then they always do. they plot is lain down for eric and sookie to break up and Bill reafirms his love for sookie (ahhh) then there is the introduction of the majic item that can grant a wish for the one you love. could it be that ms harris plans to get Bill and sookie back together and for her to wish him human. then they can live happily ever after? Ms Harris can write a better story than this so lets hope the next one has her returning to form.

3.0 out of 5 stars not the usual standard, 5 May 2011
Janet Anderson (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Reckoning: A True Blood Novel (Sookie Stackhouse Book 11) (Kindle Edition)
I have been waiting impatiently for this latest addition to the Sookie saga and felt let down. Previous books have had so much passion, this one seems limp in comparison. I can't believe both Sookie and Eric would treat the breaking of their blood bond so casually. This book did nothing for me. Sorry Charlaine but some of the fire is missing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, 14 May 2011
Another captivating and entertaining instalment in the Sookie Stackhouse story.
I read the first true blood novel last year,so unlike origional fans of the books who have had to wait a whole year for each new instalment, I have been able to race though the whole series no sooner finishing one book before starting the next,consequently I tend to regard them as one long book. Whilst some fans complain about not much happening in certain books I have rather enjoyed the opportunity to catch my breath and let Sookie recover before her next fight /serious injury /heartach/bereavement ect.
I can understand why in this book some people are not all together happy with how the story develops, particularly regarding Eric. I fully admit to being an Eric fan and the 'will they wont they' element was a fascinating component of the early books. But now they are an item I am honest enough to admit that the relationship will not work unless one or other of them changes; either Sookie becomes a vampire or Eric gives up the power and the glory to become an 'ordinary'vampire, but in truth neither option seems in charecter or guarantees happiness. People who want a 'girl gets the vampire and lives happily ever after' story should stick to Stephanie Meyers excellent but very different Twilight series.
In reality I think the best chance of happiness for Sookie would be to end up with her best friend Sam! she would get to stay in the home she loves, she would get to help Sam in the bar she loves, she would be with a man who genuinely seems to care and she could even have a few telapathic kids if she wished. But who knows this is Ms Harris's world and she constantly amazes me with each new development in it's story. People who don't like its direction should jump ship, whilst the rest of us hang on to the life jackets and enjoy the trip

5.0 out of 5 stars How much can one girl take anyway?, 17 Oct 2011
I love the Southern Vampire Mysteries and have read all of the books at least once. This one did not disappoint me at all. I will admit that the last two books have not been as fast paced as the others, but how much do you expect one girl to take? There is no way she could be surrounded by a supernatural war during every single book Harris writes, that would be unrealistic and I doubt there would be 11 books for us to enjoy. I have enjoyed reading these books that go in to more detail about her life and family in a more relaxed way. I was excited about going in to the fae world in a little more depth in this book, as I find them fascinating.

If you are a true Sookie fan, this book will not disappoint you at all!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great TB novel, 8 Aug 2011
This is a great book for anyone who has read all the other Sookie Stackhouse books. Highly anticipated I have to say, hoping for answers to many questions raised in the last book. Some of which are answered in this book, but many more questions raised also.

Considering there are only two books left in the series, I dont know how CH is going to answer everyone's questions.....who will Sookie end up with? Will it last with Eric? To name just a few. I wont spoil it for anyone, but Sookie is given a 'gift' which in itself raises so many questions!

Having read all the other books, I had of course my own favorite characters and storylines (and hopes of what I wanted to happen in this book), but putting that to one side, I really enjoyed this book, reading it in less than a day - which is how i judge what is a good book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing...., 10 July 2011
I loved the Sookie Stackhouse series from the start as each book was so eventful and with the eric/sookie romance keeping me glued to the pages, I had nothing but high praise, the same unfortunately cannot be said about Dead Reckoning. In my opinion it just seemed like a waste of a book, nothing remotely significant happened until the last few pages, so I was left feeling like the first 3/4 of the book was a real letdown. It also left me wondering how long Charlaine Harris is going to keep the series up for, dont get me wrong, im on Team Eric 100% but with the latest events unfolding and Sookie questioning aging and babies etc it seems likely that our vampire heroine might soon be coming to an end. But its a drawn out end. Im hoping Charlaine, bumps it all up in the next installment, explains the Cluvial Dor purpose, more of a Jason/Sookie interaction and makes the book as packed full of events as the first few.