4.0 out of 5 stars Another great TB novel
This is a great book for anyone who has read all the other Sookie Stackhouse books. Highly anticipated I have to say, hoping for answers to many questions raised in the last book. Some of which are answered in this book, but many more questions raised also.

Published on 8 Aug. 2011 by Vickyvee

2.0 out of 5 stars All's not well in Sookie-Land ...
Published on 3 Jun. 2011 by Bookworm

2.0 out of 5 stars All's not well in Sookie-Land ..., 3 Jun. 2011
I can't believe I'm saying this ... BUT ... I was bored out of my mind reading this book --- not to mention really disappointed! "Dead Reckoning" just didn't feel like a Sookie Stackhouse novel at all. Somehow I couldn't shake the feeling that Charlaine Harris has run out of ideas. It felt like she just stringed together some random thoughts and then embellished them by writing long descriptons of everything to fill up the pages. Ask me a week from now about what actually happened in this book and I probably will have a hard time remembering --- there just wasn't anything memorable in the book!!!

The story basically consists of irrelevant happenings and absurd situations, none of which do anything to enrich the overall storyline of this series. There were more continuity errors than I could count. Secondary characters made short appearances for no apparent reason (those cameos certainly didn't help the story along or anything). Seriously --- what was that with Alcide suddenly popping up in Sookie's bedroom??? Was there any purpose to Lily and Jack Bard's visit? A real purpose I mean? What about Sandra Pelt? If Ms. Harris had made any of them an integral part of the storyline of this book --- fine. But the way she did it just felt completely random, and really didn't make a lot of sense.

As for the other characters --- everyone behaved completely out of character. Sookie and Eric had me rolling my eyes or wanting to smack them fairly frequently --- and that's never a good thing!!! Calling their relationship cold and dysfunctional would be an understatement, and personally after this novel I don't really see a happy ending coming for them. And then there's Amelia --- I really liked her in previous books, but Charlaine Harris managed to turn an intelligent and likable character into ... well ... the exact opposite!

After the first half of the book I found myself wishing for the end to come quickly, and when I got to the last 60 pages I actually started skipping and skimming paragraphs because I just wanted to be done with it. At this point I have to say I find myself hoping that Ms. Harris wraps it all up with the next book!

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 11 July 2011
i am a fan of the books and was glad to get this copy without a jacket picture of the cast from the HBO series. if you think the books follow the same story as the TV you will get confused as there are some fundamental departures from the written story.
however this in not why this book is a little disappointing, charlaine harris gets
us back into sookieverse but nothing much really happens in the book. Ok they kill off the baddie but then they always do. they plot is lain down for eric and sookie to break up and Bill reafirms his love for sookie (ahhh) then there is the introduction of the majic item that can grant a wish for the one you love. could it be that ms harris plans to get Bill and sookie back together and for her to wish him human. then they can live happily ever after? Ms Harris can write a better story than this so lets hope the next one has her returning to form.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 6 May 2011
Smee (London UK) - See all my reviews
I am a huge fan of this series but the last two books have seriously let me down. It feels as if CH has run out of ideas and is producing something, anything, just to fulfil her contractual obligations.
I found the book lacking in plot and if this is another filler as suggested by another reviewer then CH needs to up her game significantly in the next book but unfortunately I won't be waiting with bated breath for it!

There seemed to be a lot of descriptions that were not necessary to the story and no real substance. It's getting quite formulaic in that sookie is disappointed with Eric but loves him so much, Bill is hovering in the background and someone else is trying to kill her. There is a half hearted 'bedroom' scene which actaully made me wonder what CH was on when she wrote it (ice pack and yahoo palace and monkey grooming???) with a rushed fight scene at the end.

I guess she is lining up future books as there were some outstanding threads but overall the book left me with a big sense of "was that it?" and for £8.99 for the Kindle version that's not a great feeling!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear, 17 May 2011
i loved all the first true blood books. they were fast paced, romantic and kept you guessing! the plots were 100 miles per hour as were the characters.

The last two books however are a big no no for me.

This one is like a wet log fire! The book is very short. It seems almost begrudgingly written with no imagination, new ideas or anything else. It just limps along from the last (weak) book. The first half might as well have been written on a postage stamp as there is no story line at all.

I forced myself to finish this in the hope that something would happen. Nothing different. No plot twists.. Very disappointing. Even the end. Clearly meant to make you think that there would be another book, was limp and rushed. Very poor . CH really needs to up the game here!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing...., 10 July 2011
I loved the Sookie Stackhouse series from the start as each book was so eventful and with the eric/sookie romance keeping me glued to the pages, I had nothing but high praise, the same unfortunately cannot be said about Dead Reckoning. In my opinion it just seemed like a waste of a book, nothing remotely significant happened until the last few pages, so I was left feeling like the first 3/4 of the book was a real letdown. It also left me wondering how long Charlaine Harris is going to keep the series up for, dont get me wrong, im on Team Eric 100% but with the latest events unfolding and Sookie questioning aging and babies etc it seems likely that our vampire heroine might soon be coming to an end. But its a drawn out end. Im hoping Charlaine, bumps it all up in the next installment, explains the Cluvial Dor purpose, more of a Jason/Sookie interaction and makes the book as packed full of events as the first few.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great TB novel, 8 Aug. 2011

Considering there are only two books left in the series, I dont know how CH is going to answer everyone's questions.....who will Sookie end up with? Will it last with Eric? To name just a few. I wont spoil it for anyone, but Sookie is given a 'gift' which in itself raises so many questions!

Having read all the other books, I had of course my own favorite characters and storylines (and hopes of what I wanted to happen in this book), but putting that to one side, I really enjoyed this book, reading it in less than a day - which is how i judge what is a good book!

5.0 out of 5 stars How much can one girl take anyway?, 17 Oct. 2011
I love the Southern Vampire Mysteries and have read all of the books at least once. This one did not disappoint me at all. I will admit that the last two books have not been as fast paced as the others, but how much do you expect one girl to take? There is no way she could be surrounded by a supernatural war during every single book Harris writes, that would be unrealistic and I doubt there would be 11 books for us to enjoy. I have enjoyed reading these books that go in to more detail about her life and family in a more relaxed way. I was excited about going in to the fae world in a little more depth in this book, as I find them fascinating.

If you are a true Sookie fan, this book will not disappoint you at all!

3.0 out of 5 stars I didn't enjoy this instalment as much as previous Sookie novels., 7 Feb. 2012
Caroline: [...]

If you happen to be new to Sookie's universe I would highly recommend that you start at the beginning of the series with Dead until Dark.

The character development that began in Dead in the Family continues here. Although still impulsive at times Sookie is beginning to consider the consequences of her connections to the supernatural community and the challenges of a long term relationship with a ruthless immortal.

Pam continues to provide some of the wittiest and driest dialog in the series. We are provided with a satisfying glimpse past the fierce, perfectly polished facade as she demonstrates the protective element of her personality.

Dead reckoning finds Sookie in a cathartic mood, spring cleaning her attic and her life. The apparently pointless appearances of a naked Alcide (I know I can't quite believe that I wrote "naked Alcide" and "pointless" in the same sentence!) and the consequences for Sookie's household, led to the feeling that the author was also in the mood to spring clean. It remains to be seen whether this was simply intended to tie up loose ends and focus attention to the primary players or if the author has some wicked plot twists up her sleeve for the remaining two books.

Bills apparent personality transplant, the all too convenient departure of Judith and the artless "love making" scene really niggled at me. As an ardent supporter of team Eric Northman perhaps I'm simply experiencing sour grapes at the direction the romance appears to be taking.

Verdict: While I enjoyed dipping back in to the Sookie universe I didn't enjoy this instalment as much as previous Sookie novels. However having come this far with the series, I am determined to stick it out for the remaining two novels.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bring back Pam and Eric's witty banter!!, 7 May 2011
Finally the latest Sookie Stackhouse novel!

Somebody fire bombs Merlotte's where she is working, and as usual Sookie is out to find out who it was!
Was the attack aimed at Sam her best friend and boss? Or at Sookie herself?
There's a whole load of two natured haters who may want Sam out of business or worse.
We also see the return of psycho Sandra Pelt who wants revenge for the death of her sister Debbie Pelt, who Sookie killed in self defense.
Victor, Eric's enemy and superior is also an increasing threat.

Sookie finds a letter in a hidden compartment addressed to her from her late grandmother.
Sookie is also questioning why her fairy relatives are still living in her house, and there are a few surprises in store here and possibly in her love life. Sookie again considers breaking the the blood bond with Eric to find out whether her feelings are real, or just the result of swapping blood with her "honeybun".
Eric is also hiding something and it involves Sookie!
Bill is again hovering at the sidelines waiting for the opportune moment to try and win Sookie back (I hope he fails tbh).

I am such a fan of these series of books. I love Sookie as she is such a real three dimensional character. I love her internal dialogue, witty, analytical and clever but very modest, often giving herself a hard time when she shouldn't. I think character creation is definitely one of Harris' strengths.

Although enjoyable and very readable I was a little let down by how short this book was. I also felt it was lacking in the usual humour and action the other novels possess. I missed Pam and Eric's witty banter!!
Eric is definitely off form, not his usual perverse and cocky self. Also considering he's Sookie's man, makes few appearances.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Sookie-verse rollercoaster!, 6 May 2011
E. Flynn (Swansea, UK) - See all my reviews
Alright then, as a fully confessed Sookie-fiend I'll admit right here, right now that the last book (Dead in the Family ) did nothing for me. I hated the major plotline. Hated it. So when carry-ons from that whole shambles carried on in Dead Reckoning I sighed a little sigh. Happily, there was a lot else going on that I could focus on - a heck of a lot!

There's two-natured stuff aplenty (remember that little firecracker Sandra Pelt, sister of the deceased Debbie Pelt?) and more than a little nod to Mr. Sam Merlotte's humble charms. Vamp politics, as ever, play a large (and somewhat deadly) role in things. And fairies? Well, I do like the varied fae of Charlaine's creation, so I really enjoyed the fleshing out of the fairies (and elves). I should also mention that my favourite literally-a-demon-lawyer, Mr. Cataliades turns out to be more than he appears. Ooh...ahhh! (Nothing like that, though, free your thoughts from the gutter!)

I don't know if it was a flaw with the UK hardback edition but on page 1 I gasped at "story" (as in a book) being used instead of "storey" to describe a house's floors. This stopped me from reading long enough to be appalled, but I'm glad I continued (even though, later, I felt a little reprimanded for not being a Christian...). I'm more than slightly obsessed with correct spelling and grammar in books, but even I managed to flick the pages as fast as I could to get through this rollercoaster of a story!

Recommendation: If you love Sookie and her world, you'll enjoy this instalment of her life. Nobody is going to be turning a page with her for the first time at book 11, by now we're all old friends - and this is the feeling I got from the book. Definitely an improvement on Dead in the Family!