5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent mobile power pack.
Arcadia ACD66 Power Bank

The ACD66 was delivered with Amazon's usual promptness. Ordered on 26th May, delivered early on 31st, and that included a weekend and a Bank Holiday. Well packaged.

The ACD66 is supplied in a hard plastic case, which includes the ACD66, a brief, but adequate, instruction leaflet, a coiled cable, and a couple of adaptors...
Published on 17 Jun 2011 by N. G. Edwards

3.0 out of 5 stars ARCADIA External Battery Pack (ACD66)
Published on 20 July 2011 by REER

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent mobile power pack., 17 Jun 2011
N. G. Edwards - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Trent: Easypak NT70T - (7000mAh) 5V 2A-1A Triple USB Ports External Battery Charger/ Portable Back Up Power Bank/Power Pack Battery for iPad 4/ 3 /2, iPad mini, iPhone 5 /4S / 4, iPod Touch; Samsung Galaxy Note 2, S4/S3/S2; Google Nexus 10/7/4, HTC ONE series; LG Optimus series; Motorola Razr, Droid series; Nokia Lumia 900 / 800, Sony Xperia series, GoPro, and most 5V chargeable devices (Upgraded Version of iCurve) (Electronics)
Arcadia ACD66 Power Bank

The supplied cable combines with the two adaptors to give you either a USB A to USB micro, or USB A to USB mini cable.

USB A is the larger USB port that you will have on your PC, the USB mini is extremely common on portable devices, including many `phones. The USB micro is the newly adopted standard for `phones, and is the one used by all `phones that I have access to.

The ACD66 is a very attractive unit and appears to be well made. The upper surface is glossy piano-black, the underside has a slightly rubberized texture, so it should not slip about. The edge is surrounded by a silver strip. It is a little larger than I had anticipated, but considering the declared capacity, that should not have been a surprise.

The unit has two USB outlets rated at 1A and 2.1A. Although it is not mentioned in the instructions, the packaging declares a 3.1A output, implying that both outlets may be used simultaneously. There is a micro USB socket for charging, an ON/OFF switch and four blue LEDs to indicate charge status. This all combines to give a very clean and attractive design.

The unit arrived partially charged and took about 4 hours to be fully charged when connected to my laptop.

I bought this unit on the strength of its claimed current capacity. I have previously used similar devices from Kensington and iDol, but they were both unable to supply sufficient current to charge a smartphone, they cope with a DS but are not much use otherwise. Well I have not been disappointed the ACD66 has plenty of `muscle'. I don't have an iPad, but in order to see how the 2.1A outlet would cope I connected a passive USB hub and was able to simultaneously charge three smartphones (Orange San Francisco, Moto Defy and an iPhone 3GS). I have also left the unit unused for a week and there was no apparent loss of charge.

All in all an excellent device, which perfectly meets my needs for reliable, solid standby power? Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little battery pack!, 12 Jun 2011
This is my second portable battery, and it's as equally useful as the previous one I had brought (http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Trent-iCruiser-IMP1000-Blackberry/dp/B004CHMP50).

The ACD66 weighs about 190g, as opposed to the IMP1000 at 280g. This is fine, as the ACD66 is about 2/3rds the weight and capacity of the larger unit. The unit has two outputs - 1A and 2.1A. Although the 2.1A is meant to be for tablets and the like, there is nothing wrong with using the 2.1A for phones, as they only draw the amount of amps they need. Therefore, this unit has a distinct advantage over the other battery I have, as it can charge two phones at the same time. A downside is that this unit can only be charged via USB - this does take a long time so best to do this overnight.

Another nice benefit of this battery is the "telephone cord" type cable which comes with it (see uploaded photo) - this is great for using when travelling. The LEDs have plenty of different states, so it is easy to approximate how much capacity is left in the unit. The unit is very shiny, so this attracts fingerprints easily. I'd have preferred the whole unit to be a matt slightly rubbery texture as the base is.

Overall this is a great battery, and would make a great gift for someone who is into their technology, as it really is very handy.

3.0 out of 5 stars ARCADIA External Battery Pack (ACD66), 20 July 2011
The product was out of the box use. Weight 197 g for the battery pack itself. Nice and solid design of the Battery Pack, and for my purpose nice with the twisted USB cord- but the adaptor peaces was of poor quality(and only two - so limited use of different devices, but no surprise for the buyer in this regard). Actually I have already broken the Micro USB adaptor, and looking for a replacement.
Before this happened, the device did it's thing well, quick charge of cell phone from 5-100% in approx. 1:30 (wildfire), and long duration (approx. 5-6 full recharges of the phone). But to me the most important thing was that I could let my phone run Bluetooth, GPS, Full screen light, and all signal for hours while using it for both HR-monitoring, GPS and sports-tracker while on my road bike, and the ACD66 capacity by far out-ran my endurance on the bike..
Just a shame about the adaptor quality - as it is a device made for keeping you portable device power on the go, everything in the pack and not just the battery pack itself should be made for this purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life saver when you're on the road, 10 Sep 2012
I just returned from a weekend trip, and this external battery saved me twice. Well, it saved me once and it also saved my friend once. I was out in the hills of Oregon running the Warrior Dash (google it - it's awesome), and filming with my digital waterproof camera. 3/4 of the way through filming, my camera ran out of charge. So what do I do? I ran to my car and grabbed my iCurve, plugged it in, and kept on filming. And if anyone doubts this, just go to vimeo.com and search for Warrior Dash 2012 videos. The one from Oregon is mine. And it wouldn't be nearly as cool a video if I didn't have my iCurve.
Sure, it's not something I use every day. I rarely need this. But when I do need it, it's INVALUABLE. I've used this at concerts, or during long sporting events, and ESPECIALLY during long flights. Everyone needs at least one of these things.
The cool thing that sets this one apart from others is the two different voltages - one for tablets and one for phones. It's amazing that you can charge up an iPad with one of these things.
So again, not to beat a dead horse, but everyone these days is wired. We all have electronic devices, and if short battery life is chaining you down, for the love of all things Holy get yourself an iCurve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product, fantastic customer service, 1 Sep 2011
I purchased this product to charge my iphone 3GS, during a two week camping holiday with no available electricity supply.
The battery pack is of very high quality and approximately 1.5 times larger than an iphone 4. Charging the unit is done with a small USB lead that connects to your iphone (or similar) charger. Charging takes a while, as is to be expected with such a large capacity battery and is probably best done overnight. I charged my iphone from approximately 10% to fully charged, four times and there was still enough power in the unit for a part charge on the way home. I was very pleased with the quality of this product, and it's functionality is second to none.
This is very much a two part review as the service I received from the retailer has also been exceptional. I received my order within 48hrs on standard delivery and although very pleased with this, I expected this to be the end of my dealings with the company unless I ordered from them again in the future. However, on returning from my holiday I discovered that I had lost the charging lead for the battery pack. I emailed Naphos through the contact facility on the Amazon website, enquiring about the cost of a replacement. I received a reply within a few hours from Hannah at Naphos, stating that if I could provide a few details, as a valued customer they would send out a replacement lead free of charge.
I feel that this level of customer care is rare and made the whole situation very pleasant. I will certainly buy from them again in the future and highly recommend them to anyone looking for a high quality battery pack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Battery Pack, 31 May 2011
I purchased this to enable me to charge a number of devices when I don't have access to a power supply, namely a Google Nexus One, Google Nexus S, Amazon Kindle 3G, and Samsung Galaxy Tab. All devices charge perfectly from this pack. The only exception is the Galaxy Tab which charges, only very slowly. However this is a failing of Samsung as it will only charge quickly from the power supply supplied with the device.

All in all, this is a great device and I'm extremely pleased with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars USB sockets are not Dedicated Charging Ports, 8 July 2011
Very nicely packaged, and (so far) performing as expected with one major exception:

Neither of the USB ports are wired as 'Dedicated Charging Ports' (data lines connected together) and so devices that detect this (e.g. HTC phones) will only draw a maximum of 500mA, even from the 2.5A port, if you use a regular USB cable. To try and overcome this, the curly USB cable suppied appears to have the data pins linked, so if you use this cable, your device will draw what it needs BUT a) only ONE cable is supplied, and there are TWO ports and b) you should not attempt to use the curly cable for connecting to a PC USB port as it will not pass data, and may overload the port. None of this is mentioned in the packaging.

This appears to be a design error, and (as far as I can see) makes the product not standards-compliant.

UPDATE: I have now used the product to drive my HTC Desire S for extended periods. Battry life seems very good, and has transformed the usefulness of the phone.

One problem was that the supplied micro-USB tip fell apart, and a wire came unsoldered. I would suggest other users either bind the tip with tape (it simply clips together) or try a drop of Alradite.

I have improved the star rating to reflect use, but it still drops a star at least for depending on a special 'modified' cable rather than doing the job properly

5.0 out of 5 stars Great emergency power, 15 Feb 2013
OP (King Of Prussia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
Provides awesome emergency (in my case) energy source while in travel. Very slim and retina display makes it really attractable. Delivered full charge to almost dead Galaxy II and additional 50% to iPad2 multiple times.

Pros:
Good power capacity
Additional micro usb (not necessity but really nice to have)
Cool design and light weight
makes it harder to use excuse "my phone was dead"

Cons:
makes it harder to use excuse "my phone was dead"

Suggestions/improvements: add "female micro usb in" instead of USB attached "INPUT" cable - less moving parts. A cheap travel bag would be nice (both well done in model iFuel IMP5000 - the same cable can be used for charging/discharging etc)

Easy to carry. Holds 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible battery pack, 15 Jan 2013
There have been a few times where I have not been near a charger for over 24 hours and this little guy has bailed me out. It has enough charge to charge my iPhone 5 back up about 4 times, which is amazing for a weekend trip if you forget your wall charger. It's pretty small and pocketable so its easy to have with you all the time. Couldn't be more happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good pack., 6 Jan 2013
Pros:

- Solid build quality. I accidentally dropped it onto my hardwood floor from about 3 feet. Didn't even phase it.

- 7000 mAh goes a long way for non-power-users. I recharged my 1000 mAh phone 5 times before the charger fell to one line. For me, this is easily 3-4 weeks of power for my phone (not a smart-phone, mind you), in case of a blackout/camping trip/whatever.

- Easy to use right out the box, just plug the microusb into your phone/ipod/ipad and press the button.

Cons:

- Although not what I'd consider bulky, you can't really put both your phone and this charger in the same pants pocket, at least not comfortably, its a bit bigger than an iphone, and twice as thick.

All in all, an easy to use, sleek, solid battery pack.