5.0 out of 5 stars Christine
This is a great follow-up story to the book called a ghost of a chance and is just has good a read as the first one. Would recommend both of these if you like ghost stories has I do
Published 8 months ago by christine

Published on 16 Jun 2011 by ROROBLU'S MUM

5.0 out of 5 stars Christine, 29 Oct 2013
This review is from: GIVING UP THE GHOST (The Ghost Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could have loved this book instead of liking it. Premise was fantastic, characters...not so much. CARE- slight spoiler., 16 Jun 2011
ROROBLU'S MUM "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I feel bad that I cannot give this book a more fullsome review, as it was offered to me for free, when the author Emma Daniels contacted me via my amazon Posting asking for free reads in return for a honest review. Emma sent me a couple of lovely emails, from which I could see that she was open, friendly and warm, which I thought was typical of her being Australian (have met a fair few Ozzies). I expected perhaps the same from her book, given the summary available on amazon, but didn't quite get that....

The premise is wonderful (no point in going into it, as amazon's blurb is so good), and I thought that I was going to get a truly romantic and emotional tale but the characters themselves, I couldn't really feel for. Yes, I know that Sean had been a ghost for 100 years and so when he was made corporeal again, he would have trouble getting with the times, but I didn't get to know enough about him that made me actually like him. Yes I got a physical description (which doesn't match the cover, btw), but not much of his actual personality. I got that he was a decent, caring guy, if a bit wet, finding it hard to adapt to modern life, but couldn't really see his attraction to Belinda. Yes, she was apparently attractive, but I couldn't really detect much warmth in her, not even when she suffered a personal tragedy, and other than male hormones being what they are, I couldn't see any sparks between them. I'd have loved an instant recognition of souls, some passion, some sparks and some scorching love scenes....none of which were present.

It was great that Belinda seemed to have Sean's late wife Laura's memories/seemed to have been Laura reincarnated, and how she was able to reassure him that he had no need to feel guilt over what had happened to Laura, which was catharctic for Sean, but I couldn't understand why we were given quite so much info about her sister, as they didn't have a relationship, though I do appreciate that it was only through the sister that she was able to meet Sean. Natalie's presence I totally understood, but was there any need for her husband Karl to be so...unpleasant? Yes, he did a lot to make Sean 'legal', but without truly believing in his tale and whilst issuing ultimatums.

I did like how the author added a twist to the tale, but it felt to me as if there was more of a connection between Sean and Natalie than between Sean and Belinda.

This could have been a really good tale, rather than an ok+ one, if I felt as if I knew the characters, if I felt that they were lost souls about to be allowed to be reunited in this life as they hadn't been allowed to have their HEA in their previous one...but some things were missing. Some things, IMHO, being passion, recognition of soulmates, love triumphing all, being likeable characters. Perhaps I would have appreciated Sean more had I read book one in this series first (Natalie and Karl's tale), but this one appealed more...

Overall, the premise was great, the author's execution made it all seem plausible, the twist in the tale was needed as it made the ending ring true, but the actual characters' personalities, for me, let the tale down a touch. I needed more romance, angst and passion. I think I was hoping for a book similar to the Patrick Swayze/Demi Moore film Ghost, which I still cannot watch without crying, so perhaps I am doing the author a disservice. I truly hope not, as this was not my intention, but I did promise her an honest review, which is what this is.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst read of the decade, 4 Dec 2012
Absolutely terrible prose, childish, stunted, awful! I bought it in error and I am just so glad that it was cheap because it's not worth a penny. Amazon what were you thinking?