on 2 March 2012
Before I begin, let me disclose that I own a 64GB iPad2, BlackBerry Bold, iPhone 4 32GB quite an ecosystem of devices. My wife has a Samsung Galaxy as well. Now I like my iPad2, but the PlayBook is just a joy to use. I love the way it feels like a real multitasking tablet, something the ipad doesnt do properly, and the Android OS doesn't do at all. I use the bridge function to my blackberry bold, and it really is integrated in the right way - fast and useful, especially for bbm, managing my calendar and messaging. The calendar is a proper one, actually usable, more like the one on my Blackberry, and thankfully unlike the useless one on my iDevices. The browser is faster than the one on my ipad2 and has Flash as well, so using it to browse the web feels more like being on a proper desktop rather than halfway there. Video recording and playback on the PlayBook beats the ipad2 by a mile, it's great how you can even zoom in on a video that is playing, but video recording is not quite as good as on my iPhone 4 in low light. The messaging application deals with multiple email accounts and integrates Facebook and Twitter in a very slick way, and is the best of all the tablets. Highly recommend it, it really is another class of tablet.
on 13 July 2013
I have the 16gb PlayBook and really recommend it, I will probably buy the 64gb PlayBook soon. I have quite a long commute to work (4hr 30min each day) and I find this tablet so useful. I use the Docs2Go software that Blackberry included for free and find this so useful for editing Microsoft Word documents during my commute, at home and at work. Due to its small size I use it to take minutes in meetings which works very well. I have bought one of the cheap bluetooth keyboards (my one only cost about £20 including the case) which has made it into essentially a little laptop which I love.

I downloaded the WikiPock Wikipedia Offline reader, this cost £12 but gives me access to every English Wikipedia article without needing to access the internet - the files take up about 4gb on the tablet but it is fantastic! When I am on the train I just choose random topics of interest and without needing to have access to the internet I can just search WikiPock and it gives me articles for so many fascinating subjects!

I have also bought a few games including Electronic Arts Sim City, which has been great fun. Need For Speed Undercover (also by Electronic Arts) is FREE, and is a fantastic 3D racing game which has also given me much enjoyment. There's a variety of other games, I really recommend some of the ones by GamesLoft. So although the number of applications is smaller I have found plenty to keep me occupied and all in all I am so pleased. For the cheap price (compared to the iPad for example) you just cannot beat it. The speakers on it are pretty good too!
on 29 August 2012
I previously owned an android tablet but after numerous crashes and problems I returned it, though I did find the device very useful if not that well built or reliable. I was considering getting an ipad but when I saw the 64GB Playbook in Currys for £129 I thought it was too good a bargain to miss. Given the price I was willing to forgive any niggles it may have but to be honest this is a very good bit of kit, provided you aren't that much into apps. I wanted it mainly to browse the web, show photos and for video/audio playbook when travelling and it does all these things very well. The display is excellent and it plays most media formats, the video quality is fantastic. Browsing the web is a joy and with the high def screen you can make out most detail without having to zoom in all the time. I even quite like the kobo app that it comes with and it isn't a bad device to use as a book reader but obviously not as good as kindle. It's a breeze to transfer files to and from it and you can do it over wifi very easily too and the build quality seems very good. The email client that's new with OS 2 I think also works well and the 64GB means it has most of my music collection on it now and still has plenty of space for movies. When I played with it in the store I couldn't figure out how to close apps but now i'm used to the swiping i find it very intuitive and it's nice not to have to press buttons. Finally the sound quality through the speakers, one on either side, is far better than I would have expected, it sounds very good indeed.

When this was nearer £200 i didn't think it was worth it as I think an ipad 2 would be better value for another £100, albeit only a 16GB one, but at £129 it's fantastic value. However, the apps aren't as good as you can get for the ipad so if you're really into your apps an ipad may be better.
on 4 May 2012
The BlackBerry PlayBook 64gb Tablet is excellent. I would never have considered it due to a lot of negative press and supposed customer reviews. However, I received this as a present and am delighted with it. The Playbook connects seamlessly with my HDMI HD Projector and HD TV. The high definition reproduction is second to none. As a teacher I use it in the classroom with the projector to show PowerPoint slides using the DocsToGo app and video clips, which are all controlled with my Eclipse Touch Bluetooth Mouse Eclipse Touch Mouse.

The PlayBook's touchscreen is very responsive once you learn the simple gestures.

The build of the PlayBook is very impressive and looks expensive - it feels solid yet comfortable in one hand and the on/off and volume control buttons are small but accessible.

I have not found the fact that it has no MicroSD card slot a problem as the 64GB is big enough to hold stacks of video, music, photos, documents and ebooks. Which brings me to my only grip...there is not a dedicated app for Kindle or other ebook reader as yet which means that in order to read your transfered digital books you have to use the PDF reader of DocsToGo but that is not a huge issue as it it works well. However, Amazon are currently working on a BlackBerry Kindle app.

The battery life is very good and recharging is quick.

Overall, I think the BalckBerry PlayBook is exceptional value for money if I had to pay for it.

on 14 September 2012
BlackBerry PlayBook - Tablet - 64 GB - 7" TFT ( 1024 x 600 ) - rear camera + front camera - Wi-Fi, Bluetoothu

I wanted a tablet for a while but was put off by the price. When I saw this BlackBerry playbook for this price I read through loads of customer reviews, and found them all mostly very positive, so I took a chance and bought one. I already have a Blackberry bold phone, and use documents to go all the time.

I must say that to set up the Bridge software and download it to my phone was quick and simple. Once done the tablet and phone are linked by bluetooth and you can keep your phone in your pocket and access your messages, we'll everything, I love it!

When you are away from your wifi or free hotspot, you can still get on the Internet because the Internet is accessed via bluetooth (Bridge) through your phone in your pocket.

Also if you download "print to go" to your pc or laptop you can select print to go and your document will appear on your tablet in pdf format, so instead of carrying around wads of paper printouts, you can have them on your tablet

I highly recommend this tablet, it also looks good, we'll made and easy to use,I like it more than the ipad.
on 13 May 2011
I bought one of these in the US when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

I wanted two things

Objective 1. An ability to link in with my blackberry so that I could work and review documents (Word, excel, powerpoint and PDF) more effectively with a bigger screen. This it does well through the blue tooth 'Blackberry Bridge' which takes data from my blackberry and displays it on the playbook screen. Cut off the bridge and all your data goes away from the playbook - so it is pretty secure. It is really easy to link it up to other people's blackberries too - by downloading the bridge app from Blackberry App store which is free.

Conclusion - The playbook does this well though sometimes the link is slow to update new emails coming in

Objective 2. I wanted a pad that would deal with flash on websites - this was the main reason i hadn't bought a Ipad 1 or 2

Conclusion - The playbook does this well and unlike other reviewers I haven't come across any issues with the web browser

Other features I like

- no monthly fees because there is no phone chip in the Playbook - if you don't have a wifi connection to hand - then it can browse using your blackberry's connection through the bridge browser or by tethering to your phone of any brand through bluetooth (if your phone can do that)
- half the physical size of the Ipad
- good battery life - eight hours
- Great screen and ability to use mini-HDMI cable to connect to a much bigger screen
- you can tether it to any phone with a bluetooth connnection - not just a blackberry

Work in progress - this tablet has yet to reach its full potential and still needs

- it doesn't matter to me as I have a blackberry to give me email, calender and contacts - but none of these are yet available on the machine unless the bridge is in operation - but they are needed if it is going to appeal more widely.
- Skype is coming
- Android App ability is coming in the next six weeks - which will open up the tablet and make it competitive with the Android and Ipad tablets.

Summary - I like it - but still a work in progress
on 11 March 2013
My Partner bought me a 64gb Playbook last week as a surprise birthday present (my birthday isn't till April but I'm not complaining!). We've been using it every day since so I thought I'd write a review on here to share my experiences with people thinking about buying one.

One of the biggest factors in purchasing a Blackberry Playbook for most people will be the price. Even though it was a surprise gift, I know that my generous girlfriend only paid £92 for it in an "as new" condition from Ebay. For a 64gb dual core tablet with 1gb of RAM, a 1024x600 screen and such a high build quality (more on this in a moment) it represents excellent value for money

Upon unwrapping my shiny new tablet I turned it on and went through the initial setup process, entering my Wifi details, blackberry ID and language preferences etc. I remember thinking to myself that setting it up out of the box was extremely easy and intuitive, it even goes through an interactive tutorial on how to use the Playbook which was very welcome. This sort of focus on accessibility is something more associated with Apple products so I can imagine your average technophobe to be put at ease by the process. The interface is really slick, I can see why people compare it to the Ipad because the browser and menus really do have that smoothness to them that you usually only find on more expensive android tablets or Ipads. Although not the sleekest and lightest bit of hardware on the market, the Playbook feels like a premium, top end tablet. The extra weight makes it feel solidly made and the volume rocker and power button on the side are nice to use. The screen looks sharp and bright and feels responsive as well which I'd expect from a branded tablet like this but for 92 bones we could have done a lot worse (try out some budget android tablets out to see what I mean)

After a healthy charge I plugged the Playbook into my netbook to start loading it with media like music, films and books. Again, this was extremely simple and was just a matter of linking the tablet to my netbook with a USB cable and dragging/dropping files into the relevent folders (video/music etc). I fired up the music player and started playing some of my "tunez" to test the sound out on the device and was impressed with the clarity/volume of the speakers. They were never going to be particularly bassy but the sound they produce is solid enough to watch a film or listen to music without needing headphones which is great and a noticable improvement over my Galaxy Note.

I put three films on to the Playbook (each one in MKV format) and they all played fine without requiring any additional apps to be installed and the picture quality was sharp,smooth and judder free.

The book files that I dragged over were in .mobi format which is the file format used by Kindle ereaders and the kindle app for android. The Kobo reader which is included on the tablet unfortunately doesn't recognise this format and there is no Kindle app available on the Blackberry World store so I had encountered my first hiccup! After reading up online about how to get kindle up and running on a playbook I learned about the process of "Sideloading" android apps to compensate for those unavailable on Blackberry World. By installing a plugin for Google Chrome on my computer then running the playbook in development mode I could download converted Android apps and install them - a fairly simple process and one that can be a bit of a lifesaver considering I have found Blackberry app world to be somewhat limiting. Read up on the process here [...]. Anyway.. after that little problem was rectified I had a fully functioning ereader ready to go and my girlfriend has spent the week reading various 50 shades rips offs on Kindle (whose present was it again? ;-))
I think that the Blackberry App World may be the worst aspect of the Playbook, the apps that you find on Google Play and the Apple Appstore for 69p can cost up to £5 on there which is pretty appalling and you'll find many apps that you would expect to be on there missing. There has been talk of an update coming to the Playbook which will change the existing operating system from 2.0 to BB10 (the software that's used on Blackberry's new flagship devices - the Z10 and the Q10). This may or may not solve the app market issues depending on whether the update addresses it's failings or even comes out at all so, it's worth choosing the device on it's own merits rather than thinking about what "might" come down the line.

Overall, I think you're going to see the best of this tablet if you plan on using it predominantly for browsing and downloading due to the fantastic browser with flash support and strong WiFi combined with 64gb storage. The apps I've used for the Playbook have been great but there is an undeniable lack of choice on the Blackberry App World so if you're looking for the sort of app catalogue offered by IOS or Android you'll be disappointed... Saying that, it's hard not to recommend the Playbook due to the amazing build quality, snappy performance and budget price.

A solid 4 out of 5 from me
on 18 January 2013
This product was launched in 2011 but it can still blow the competition out of the water! I own a Samsung 8.9 (wifi only) as well and I don't really get to use it as much as I do my Playbook.

Pros
1. Great display images look crisp and not grainy.
2. Very fast as well and very responsive.
3. And the OS makes the Android OS look ancient (comparing it even with ICS my Samsung 8.9 has recently been upgraded to). I like the way to minimize the programs--swiping anywhere from the bottom. Although when I recently updated the OS (mid December 2012), i started having problems with Yahoo Mail needing for me to input my password over and over again. Hopefully with the Blackberry 10 launch (which will support also Playbook), the problem will go away.
3. Price. Need I say more?
4. Functionality. It serves its purpose well. And with an HDMI cable, I can watch HD videos on Youtube on my 42inch telly. I have movies saved in it as well (converted to mp4)--DVD quality downloaded movies.

Cons
1. Weight. A little heavy with the leather case on. It can put a strain on your hands/wrist.
2. Apps. A lot has been said about the BB App World having just a fraction of iOS or Android apps. But well what do you need a million apps for anyway? It's got the apps that I need. And recently RIM's been investing heavily on encouraging developers to jump on to BB bandwagon. Of late I've seen a throng of apps being added.
3. Resolution. Although 7" is perfect for playing games, browsing the internet can be a little arduous. That's just me.
on 6 December 2012
I've had a netbook for about a year. Sure, it's portable and easy to carry around. However, the boot-up time makes it a pain when you want to check something in a hurry: e-mails, calendar, wotnot. The Playbook is more convenient in that it is slightly smaller and (when in stand-by mode) much quicker. A few seconds of power up and you're in business.

The virtual keyboard is easy enough to learn and use, but not as good as a netbook. If there's a lot of typing to be done the netbook is better.

Getting it out the box and setting up takes time, the boot up takes forever. Learning the myriad of bells and whistles a bit more time, but once you've the knack, it all runs quickly and smoothly.

Goes well with my trusty old 8520. The Blackberry Bridge makes the checking of on-line diary, e-mails, and text messages much less fiddley. The Internet tethering is a bit hit-and-miss sometimes, it can drop out unexpectedly, but otherwise overall its good.

The Facebook and Twitter apps work well enough, if a little slow sometimes. Likewise, when clicking on the links in Twitter the browser can be slow.

Looking through the apps that to download can locate useful items that will augment the Playbook's usefulness.
on 9 December 2012
I am now on my second BB Playbook... in fact I just purchased this new one at the departure lounge at Gatwick north terminal last week - hard to resist as they were selling it for silly money. $124 GPB for the 64GB version! Amazing.

works even better now with my BB 9800 then it did before and is brilliant connected to my Philips wides-screen tv - great picture quality.

my only complaint about the BB Playbook (WHy wasnt it called the Workbook?) is that its just too well made. its just a bit too heavy and the bezel too wide for book reading for any length of time - serious wrist ache after a while, otherwise still worth owning especially if you like to run it through your TV and watch iplayer for example. PE