Published on 23 Jun 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars So nearly so good...
It seems most of the effort has been put in to making the Playbook a beautiful and stylish gadget. In this much it is a huge success. The size makes it fit in usefully between phone and computer. It is also just right as an e-book reader.

Published on 9 July 2012 by Bigfeller

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device but you need to know about this potential problem, 23 Jun 2011
Amazon Customer (Northumberland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BlackBerry PlayBook - Tablet - 64 GB - 7" TFT ( 1024 x 600 ) - rear camera + front camera - Wi-Fi, Bluetooth (Personal Computers)
I have had my Playbook a week and I love it. The screen is amazingly clear and I have watched a couple of videos on it so far. The one issue I had was that I could not download Blackberry Bridge software to my smartphone no matter what I tried - so I could not use is as a netbook away from a wifi hot spot. Contacted my service provider (Vodafone) but with absolutely no help from them.

Eventually I found a similar problem being discussed in a forum and the solution was SO SIMPLE that I wanted to share it with anyone having similar problems. If your Paypal-linked email and your Blackberry-linked email addresses are different Blackberry App World won't work. It doesn't tell you why. You just get error messages saying that the application is not available.

Here is the solution. Create another Blackberry ID using the same email address as your Paypal account. Problem solved!

5.0 out of 5 stars Playbook 64gb, 23 Sep 2012
Vincent Collins (scotland) - See all my reviews
This is a great 7 inch tablet, had it a few weeks now, plenty of apps if your an app head then there isn't as many as the ipad app selection, to me there are more than enough, i bought it to surf the net, use my email, watch the odd film(very smooth and great quality picture), and listen to music and watch you-tube video(extremely fast and smooth operation btw), with the odd app thrown in, so it covers all my bases and does everything i need perfectly, its been updated to version 2.1(very easy to do), and i really cannot fault it, the way everything works is very good and smooth with no problems so far, only took me a short time to go through everything i needed to configure, email, IM etc, i use the IM+ app to use my yahoo messenger on it, works flawlessly, these are going very cheep if you look around and worth every penny, i got my one for £129 and at that price you can get 4 of these for the price of one 64gb ipad3, its a no brainer to me, there is the new kindle firehd but this will cost you more and you cannot get a 64gb version and the playbook is easily as good as the fire, probably better considering the playbook 64gb used to retail for £550, a real sturdy well made quality product, you wont be disappointed, and if you want 10 billion apps, 10000 of which are very similar in each category then go for an ipad and pay 4 times the price, personally i like the 7 inch screen and the playbook store has plenty of apps for me, perfect for my use, highly recommended.

Performance,
Cameras 9/10.
OS 10/10.
screen 10/10.
sound 10/10.
headphone sound 11/10 very good and i'm fussy about this.
apps 7/10 for app addicts, 10/10 for ordinary folk.
you tube video playback 10/10.
battery 9/10 would be 10 but no device ever has enough battery, it was left on standby with wifi switched on and checking emails a few times a day, still had over 80% after 4 days from 100% charge, that will do me.
storage 10/10 64gb is brilliant, plenty for most people.
touch screen response and pinch to zoom etc 10/10.
internet browsing and flash playback is spot on, 10/10.
music player 10/10
charge time 8/10 there is a fast charger available, just leave it on charge at bed time and it is 100% by get up time.
build quality 11/10, very sturdy, feels quality and looks great.
multitasking 11/10, true multitasking, better than ipad 3 imo as reference.

well that's my opinion and i hope it help you decide what tablet to spend your hard earned on, i didn't think twice about this one after checking it out for a few hours online reading reviews and considering the price i could get one from at a certain well known computer shop, and check out the playbook tips and trick video's on you-tube to get you up and running quickly if you end up buying one of these great tablets, I'm well happy with mine.

ps, i find it amazing you can get something this good for £129(look around), considering i bought a 4gb memory card a few years ago and that alone cost me over £90.

4.0 out of 5 stars The future is bright if the Playbook is a sign of times to come, 16 Jun 2011
J. Potter "johniebg" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
First a quick shot of context. I work with technology and test products for business suitability. I love Android for its open standards and I like IOS as an innovative technology despite disliking its proprietary stance. Both struggle as viable everyday business tools.

In the last years I have become increasingly disenchanted with RIM, the manufacturers of Blackberry devices and this Playbook. Despite a wider range of Blackberry products, finding a single one that covers each of the smartphone basics well, is hard. They have so far done a woeful job of producing a workable touchscreen device. The clunky, crash prone Torch being the best.

So we come to the Blackberry Playbook, RIM's Wifi and Bluetooth only, non upgradeable, 7" touchscreen tablet that runs the all new (to RIM) QNX OS. I wasn't expecting much I have to say, perhaps something along the lines of the Storm, which had some great ideas wrapped in an unworkable concept. I was loaned a Playbook for two weeks by T-Mobile and the surprise when I actually got to using it, despite a few obvious limitations, was that it's beautifully slick and a very usable device indeed. It works extremely well as a standalone touchscreen with incredible multi-tasking and is a great tool for anyone that ever wished their Blackberry had a bigger screen. There are caveats I will touch on, but if you're looking for me to tell you its rubbish and not to buy one, I honestly cannot. It's actually really rather good. My advise would to be buy the one with the biggest amount of internal storage you can afford. That is the only difference between the different models as they cannot be upgraded with additional storage once you have them.

So what's the playbook like? For a start it does not run the Blackberry OS, it runs the QNX OS, which is a brand new engine and interface that will eventually be used across all RIM devices. QNX is legacy technology that has proven to be extremely efficient and it is no different here. The interface is super slick, with running apps displayed on screen in a horizontally rolling card file of windows that show live information. So if you're watching a movie for instance and come back to the menu, the movie will continue playing in a window as you flick through your open apps. Displayed in this way the open apps are similar in style but more dynamic than the widgets you find in Android devices. It is only when you actually select and start using a app in fullscreen that the others drop back, and in this example, the video would pause.

Internet browsing on this is a real dream. Contempory to Apple IOS devices except it fully supports Flash and pages load (given internet connection speeds) very fast. There is none of the slow page builds or unresponsiveness you sometimes get in Android. I watched iPlayer and other online content with no issues and easily browsed busy media intense pages. I did occasionally find Flash content would not play and suspect this is a Flash version issue at the source website that will be better handled by RIM in the future.

Because QNX is a new OS then NONE of the existing Blackberry Apps will work on it. Any app that will run on the Playbook has to be written for the Playbook. And while there is talk of supporting Android apps via emulation this is not available yet. The upshot is there's a real shortage of apps right now, but I would expect this to change in the next 6 to 12 months. The Playbook does come with a broad selection of apps that cover most of the core touchscreen requirements, this includes newsreaders, PDF, Word and Excel editors that work well. The lack of apps means there is not the diversity of choice and some of the useful paid for apps like Logmein are not yet available. That will probably be a show stopper for some.

So can you ditch your Blackberry in favour of the Playbook? Unfortunately not. RIM simply haven't had time to port their core Blackberry functionality into the new QNX OS. That may still be two years away. Essentially you still need a Blackberry to receive and send your Blackberry connected services such as email, browse the internet while on the move and the all important Blackberry Messenger. What you do have in the meantime is a virtual bluetooth connection from your Playbook to your Blackberry. This is extremely easy to setup and works very well. You can keep your Blackberry in your bag and read, reply, send and even browse your Enterprise intranet from your Playbook (if your company is Blackberry enterprise enabled.) This last especially is a big win and offers huge potential for business users. Demonstrating this alone to senior execs gets them slack jawed and dizzy at the prospect of not having to squint at the BB screen for Reuters and real time internal corporate data. This virtual connection to the Blackberry works well although sometimes it did stop updating and a list of unread emails were not displayed on the Playbook. Obviously this will get better and all I ever did was close the virtual software and restart.

The downside to this virtual blackberry connection though, is that you will chew through the Playbook and Blackberry battery. Use the Playbook in this way and you will be charging both each night you do. Which I have to say is not uncommon across most smart devices these days.

Camera? Yup, front and back, although like Android there is little that supports the front facing camera right now. There is a basic supplied app. The main camera takes HD pictures and videos and although I found it occasionally struggled in low and high contrast environments (either a little washed out or slightly dark) the quality was mainly very good. Definitely better than any smartphone I have used recently and on par with a Flip style device.

As for aesthetics and practicalities? The Playbook feels very good in hand. I personally prefer the 7" screens for a tablet over the 10" which just feels too much of a handful unless you're sat at a desk. It is both lighter and more comfortable in hand than the Samsung Tab which I have used extensively. The screen like most of these devices is slightly reflective but you just change the angle your holding it as you would adjust the angle of a laptop screen. Save for power and volume there are no buttons on the Playbook at ALL. Moving backwards and forwards through apps and menu's is entirely gesture driven and works very well. The Playbook itself is charged via a microUSB connector which is the agreed universal standard for charging Smartphones and connecting them via USB. It means you get to use the same cable to connect to USB and charge as you do all your other (recent) devices. That is a huge win and one of my big winges when using the Samsung TAB which used a proprietary cable, repeatedly tripping me up if it ran out of battery and I had forgotten the cable. With the Playbook you simply dig out a microUSB cable and plug it in. However, charging the Playbook from empty from either a PC or your existing Blackberry charger will take upwards of 5-6 hours. The charger that comes with the Playbook (you plug the microUSB cable into the charger) will take 3 hours. Which seems about the standard for this sort of device. The Playbook has a separate connector for HDMI, which I have to say I have never used.

In summary. The future looks bright for RIM if the Playbook is a sign of times to come. It is slick and fast with no lag at all. It would not be a RIM device if there were some design flaws, the lack of WWAN (SIM connectivity) and not being able to add a microSD to bump up the internal storage, are the two obvious examples. I cannot think of any others. The current lack of apps is an issue right now and if apps are your thing then this is probably not for you right now. I do think the Playbook is a contemporary touchscreen for anyone looking for such a device, it works as a browser and for media extremely well and does not require already owning a Blackberry to do this. You will simply be restricted to WiFi. But for those that do own a Blackberry, then this is going to make your life a lot easier in so many ways.

Hope this was helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant For The Money, 24 July 2013
Mrs. Valerie Sim "Valerie" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
When we realised how much these tablets offered for the money, we ended up buying four of them! For the last six-months they've been used around the house for everything from games to business and my wife has even run her presentation projector off one. The quality you are getting for the money is ridiculous. They are solid, fast, easy to use and the screen is great.

Sure, there are things you can't do or that don't work very well but they're still more cooperative than an Apple product! And besides, that's not the point. The point is, what can you get at the same price that is better, or even as good? Nothing. Most of the issues are things that are just a bit of a nuisance or that you can get around easily enough, for example you can install software that lets it run Android apps and games no problem. Who needs memory expansion when you've got 64Gb? You only need to think about that if you're daft enough to pay more for a Kindle or Samsung that only has 8Gb.

You can buy a case with a bluetooth keyboard on eBay for less than £20 that turns the tablet into a mini-laptop. Works fine. The optional magnetic fast-charger is a good idea, not only does it charge the tablet quickly it takes the strain off the micro-USB port. By the way, you can use the standard Playbook charger to fast-charge your Blackberry phone!

These tablets are devastatingly good for the money, a real bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy, 7 July 2011
I'm struggling to understand why playbook bashing seems to be such a popular sport right now. I've had my Playbook about a month - here's why I think it is a the best tablet of the bunch:

- It's light (much lighter than an ipad)
- The browser is a close as you can get to the best of the PC browsers, it's super-fast and you get complete browsing experience on 99% of sites
- The wifi leaves the ipad for dead - just been on a company offsite where we were a long way from the wifi point and the two Blackberry playbooks could log on fine whilst the 5 ipads couldn't get a connection
- You're not going to be conned into buying yet another data plan - it tethers perfectly to a blackberry phone
- For me it's perfect in business meetings for having agendas, notes, presentations etc easily to hand - because of its size it's just like having a Moleskine notebook with you - it's super discreet & unobtrusive and I've stopped printing things out which I guess makes it environment friendly in a way too.
- It sets itself up as a network drive so you can easily drop files onto it wirelessly when your computer is on the same network
- The office to go apps are great
- It's the perfect size for ebooks and the Kobo store and reader work great
- The bridge email client, calender etc is fine - although I personally I either use my phone or a computer for email - any tablet right now sits in the wrong place on the line between easy to type on (PC) and easy to use for a quick check (Phone)

If you want to play angry birds or guitar hero its the wrong choice at the moment, but if you are going to use it for browsing and work it's spot on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good little tablet, excellent value for money, 4 Dec 2012
Jon B "Jon" (Manchester, U.K) - See all my reviews
Just to give a bit of background - I already own an Ipad, an Iphone and an Ipod touch so you could suggest I am a fan of apple products.

I bought my ipad a few years ago, and it very slowly became the property of my wife, to the extent that I haven't been able to get near it for 18 months.

So, I went back out to market to find something for myself. My criteria was that I didn't want to spend hundreds on another Apple product, I've got apps on my phone when I need them so having access to the app store / itunes was not a consideration for me when making this purchase.

I was mainly looking for - decent web browser speed, ability to sync emails to the exchange account at work, decent battery life, 7 inch screen, light weight and a practical and easy to use user interface.

I'd narrowed my search down to the Google Nexus, Amazon Fire HD and the Blackberry Playbook.

They all seem like very good choices based on my situation. I decided against the google nexus as it was more expensive than the others, so it was then down to the Amazon Fire HD and BB Playbook.

From all the reviews - both were a good choice, but I got the feeling that the Amazon HD fire was aimed at people whom want to use their tablet for reading, watching films and generally streaming media - none of which I really needed this for

So, the decision was made, and I purchased the BB playbook.

The only tablet I have ever used, is the IPAD, so i am used to their usability and UI. I can honestly say that the BB playbook has exceeded my expectations in many ways. For the price, I really wasn't expecting this to be very good. But it is. It's quick, smooth, easy to navigate and pretty intuitive. It took a bit of getting used to as it doesn't operate the same as an IPAD, but it is very close, and a lot of features and the UX is pretty much the same.

There is an ap store, but so far it looks pretty useless. But for me that doesn't matter as mentioned above.

E-mails were easy to set up, and they synced directly to my work account. Web browser speed is good.

Not really had a chance to play around with the camera yet so I can't comment on the quality

Overall - very pleased. A good light weight tablet, with a friendly user interface, good browser and very very good value for money from what I can tell

If you are looking for your first tablet, or like me, already have some apple products and are looking for an addition to the family - I'd highly recomend

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe all the bad press!, 1 Dec 2012
After reading many reviews, I decided to get the PlayBook, and what an excellent piece of equipment it is. OK so there's no 3g access on it but by bridging with my BB torch no problems what so ever( depending on network coverage of coarse) excellent browser facilities, brilliant screen ripped a few dvd's, a real quality item with excellent build and finish. It seems there is a lot of Blackberry bashers out there which I don't understand, overall I would say an excellent tool, if you want lots of pointless app's probably not for you, if you want a powerful tool at a good price get it

3.0 out of 5 stars So nearly so good..., 9 July 2012

Bridge works well with my Blackberry Bold as far as it goes. It is, however, most frustrating that files can't be saved to the Playbook. Equally annoying is that video taken with the Bold cannot be viewed on the Playbook unless they are transferred using a computer.

I have managed to set up wireless transfer between my Macbook and the Playbook, but I really bought the Playbook to work with the Blackberry without the laptop.

There are so many other small issues - you can't rename favourites when browsing. It will view Docx, but not simple text files! Messenger works to individual contacts, but will not work with groups.

I do hope RIM don't give up on this. If they sorted all the issues in these reviews it would be a great gadget, and for me at least, the size makes it far more useful than an Ipad.

The one shortcoming that probably won't get fixed is the lack of any removable storage. A micro SD the same as the Blackberry 'phone would have been a bonus.

In short, if you have a Blackberry smart phone, it's a useful extra at the current halved price. As a stand alone gadget it's a good book reader and wifi browser, but not that much more. It isn't nearly the business tool that my Psion was so many years ago and considering how much better the hardware is, that's really sad!

Update...

One month on and I continue to be disappointed as I find more things it can't do, but should be so easy. I can transfer files to my Blackberry phone by bluetooth from my PC, but not to the Playbook. Even having done this I cannot use Blackberry software to transfer from one bit of RIM kit to another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 28 May 2011
Superb device - does exactly what it says on the tin. The user interface is very slick and smooth and the video and picture quality is excellent. Even works with iplayer - beautifully. The size is perfect.
A few small niggles but I know these will get ironed out with further software releases. I got BBM working on it last week so now even better. Happy customer !

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible tablet - best tablet out there, best browser, best hardware., 2 Mar 2012
Before I begin, let me disclose that I own a 64GB iPad2, BlackBerry Bold, iPhone 4 32GB quite an ecosystem of devices. My wife has a Samsung Galaxy as well. Now I like my iPad2, but the PlayBook is just a joy to use. I love the way it feels like a real multitasking tablet, something the ipad doesnt do properly, and the Android OS doesn't do at all. I use the bridge function to my blackberry bold, and it really is integrated in the right way - fast and useful, especially for bbm, managing my calendar and messaging. The calendar is a proper one, actually usable, more like the one on my Blackberry, and thankfully unlike the useless one on my iDevices. The browser is faster than the one on my ipad2 and has Flash as well, so using it to browse the web feels more like being on a proper desktop rather than halfway there. Video recording and playback on the PlayBook beats the ipad2 by a mile, it's great how you can even zoom in on a video that is playing, but video recording is not quite as good as on my iPhone 4 in low light. The messaging application deals with multiple email accounts and integrates Facebook and Twitter in a very slick way, and is the best of all the tablets. Highly recommend it, it really is another class of tablet.