5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT TABLET

3.0 out of 5 stars Take a tablet and call me in the morning
Published on 27 May 2011 by S. Porter

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT TABLET, 5 April 2012
Mr. W. Tatum (Essex Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BlackBerry PlayBook - Tablet - 16 GB - 7" TFT ( 1024 x 600 ) - rear camera + front camera - Wi-Fi, Bluetooth (Personal Computers)
I am going to keep this short. I am 60 years old and this is my first tablet,I own a high end laptop so know my way around without being an expert. This Playbook is an excellent product,after two days use I am very pleased with it. Set up was fine and was achieved with a free phone call to excellent Blackberry support. I have transferred 800 songs at 128 onto it from itunes...very easy. I have transferred music videos and one film and BBT episodes onto it with no trouble. Sound is Ok and with headphones terrific. Surfing the web is very fast,I have soon got used to all the gestures. Youtube looks and sounds great,flash videos play fine. I have used BBC iPlayer and the playback is fine ,I have listened to BBC radio through iplayer and works fine so no need to buy apps for these functions. Ch4od works fine as does ITV player (no apps needed there too). the built in media player is very good and plays instantly . Free weather as well. Screen picture is excellent. Mini usb cable is included as is a small tight cover and cleaning cloth. 10 out of 10 for the Blackberry Playbook,at the reduced price (launched at £399) it is an absolute steal. I paid £169. my yahoo email works fine and if you look at it in messages it is very large and readable. Well thats it......

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling Device, 22 Aug. 2012
I must admit when the Playbook was first released, it had its short comings but since the introduction of OS 2.0, this tablet suits all my needs. On a trip to Scotland, I had a few hours to kill in the airport, wandered into a shop and started to play about with one on display. I took the plunge and bought it after ten minutes.

After all the bad press, I was extremely surprised by how good a device the Playbook is. With the native email, calendar and contacts apps now built in, I easily keep track of all my personal stuff (Google, Hotmail and personal Website IMAP email) and using Blackberry Bridge I can also get my two work email accounts and calendar on the device BUT am able to keep work and personal stuff separate. What's more, using my work Blackberry, I can connect 3G or HSPA when I'm out the house for full connectivity without having to have a separate account.

The cameras, video recorder and playback work very well, the screen is great and very rich in colour, control gestures are intuitive and work very well. I've also tried the GPS functionality and easily used it to navigate, synced with my iTunes, played movies, a few games and all works well.

Reading a plethora of reviews on a huge variety of tech web sites since buying my Playbook, it never ceases to amaze me the undeserved slating this tablet still gets. It just doesn't deserve a lot of the comments. My only criticisms are there isn't a huge amount of apps although this hasn't prevented me from doing what I want to do with my device and some Android apps are being ported across and these work very well but I do miss not having a Skype app. Blackberry/Skype, if you're reading this PLEASE can we have a Skype app!

Build quality is very good, much better than a lot of Android tablets, there's no plastic anywhere, the back is slightly rubberised and it feels just right in your hand.

When Blackberry 10 OS is released (January 2013) then anyone with this device will be able to upgrade so it's reasonably future proof which is another bonus.

In our house, we have various laptops, iPods, iPod touch, iPad and the Playbook and I can say with all honesty the Playbook more than holds its own against everything else and the price they are selling for now, it's a no brainer if you're after a 7 inch tablet. I can buy 4 playbooks for the price of a single iPad and I suspect the new iPad mini will not be cheap.

Where else can you get a tablet with a fabulous display, 2 cameras, WiFi, Bluetooth, true GPS, accelerometer, native email, good sound (better speakers than our iPad 2) and it fits easily into any bag, briefcase or dare I say a handbag for under £130?
Just make sure you buy the Blackberry convertible case at the same time, the included slip over cover isn't so great in my humble opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I've been waiting for!, 17 Jun. 2011
The PlayBook... where do I start? I received mine (34g) during mid May thanks to a friend who'd made a trip to the States. I have to confess I was nervous about it considering all the bad press coverage it's received. It seems, though, that this is largely down to it not being an iPad which, frankly, is ridiculous. Still despite the reviews I took a gamble and got my friend to pick one up for me, I even switched my phone from an iPhone 4 to the Blackberry Torch so that I could use the bridge function. I have not regretted any of my decisions.

Yes the iPad is cool because it was the first tablet computer but in reality, compared with the PlayBook, it's functions are really basic. All you can do is swipe left to right and download apps. The PlayBook gives you a much more indepth feeling when you use it, you feel like you're actually exploring the device. I love the fact that they have employed the edges of the device as shortcuts to open, close, minimise apps, explore options, and switch between apps. It's really neat. I love the fact that this device has REAL multitasking. You can start to load an app, minimise it and load up another then return to the first to find that it's all ready to go. I could really keep singing the praises about this device but I have to reserve some for the bridge functionality. The whole reason RIM developed this was because they felt a tablet computer was more likely to be stolen than a blackberry bold (for example). The bridge function allows you to connect to your phone, see all your emails, use the internet (through your phone's contract) and even update you calendar seamlessly. Then when you are done you disconnect the bridge function and all that data disappears from the PlayBook. For companies this is a no brainer, for individual's (without a blackberry) trust me with the amount of free wifi hotspots out there you won't ever be without a network connection and then all you need to do is login to webmail...

This is by far the best tablet on the market. Yes it's lacking apps at the moment but they are coming in the form of android (which is the fastest growing app store around).

Buy a PlayBook you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best tablet on the Market., 1 May 2011
Having owned an iPad 2 and the Playbook for a few weeks now, i have to say i am happy i returned the iPad and kept this.
Granted, the iPad has waaay more apps etc but to me thats not too important.

I need a tablet with a capable web browser and nice UI and the playbook beats the iPad hands down.

This is a fantastic tablet!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet for work, 12 Jun. 2011
I decided to buy the BlackBerry Playbook for office work and I just love it!

The size makes it ideal to use in the office and in meetings. It's about the same size as a moleskine note so thats ideal. Everybody is making a big problem about it not having an e-mail client on it, but it works just great with the blackberry phone e-mail.

Through the BlackBerry Bridge you get a "mirror" of whats on your Blackberry phone and have direct access to your mail and agenda. Great thing is that your tablet doesnt need 3G or a wireless connection because it uses the phones access to sent and receive e-mail. It works great! Also it supports Flash making it possible to watch youtube movies and all websites, something the iPad lacks. Had to get used to the typing on it, but got used to that very fast.

Only got positive comments about it and even the CEO wanted to take a good look at it when I did a presentation from it. All in all a great device for a price of under the iPad2.

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic iPad alternative - Blackberry Playbook, 10 Jan. 2012
I received this for Christmas after looking long and hard at the Android and iPad alternatives. My wife has an iPad, so I was aware of the capabilities of the Apple product, but I could not justify spending £400 when this alternative was available for just over £200. I am so glad I did, because this little tablet is a beauty.

Pros

- The 7" screen is perfect for me. Not too big to make it bulky, so easy to take away on trips.
- The screen quality is superb, easily better than the iPad. HD video playback is excellent.
- The OS is fantastic, I really do not understand why anyone would pick iOS or Android over this product (with the exception of the Cons below) because it is so smooth and fast. The swipe gestures become second nature. It does proper multitasking on the fly and it is genuinely the best OS I have used on any mobile device. I also own an iPod touch and Samsung Galaxy S mobile phone, neither of which can compare.
- Great build quality. It feels heavier than expected, but it is clearly a quality product.
- The standard apps are of good quality. I particularly like the YouTube app, which is the best I have used.
- Good sound quality, both through the onboard speakers and headphones.
- Blackberry software for Mac worked perfectly for back-ups and syncing with iTunes.
- Built in cameras are of good quality, video is also much better than I expected.
- The built in web browser is great. It is the closest to a genuine desktop browser I have seen with access to Flash sites available.

Cons

- Lack of native email/calendar app at the moment, though this is due to be sorted with the release of OS2 in February. Gmail works perfectly through the browser.
- The number of Apps available is smaller than Android or Apple, however that is not to say it is a problem. Those that are available are usually of good quality and I have not had an issuing finding what I need or a suitable alternative. This will also improve with Android compatibility arriving in OS2.
- Battery life is good rather than great - 7 hours is about the norm with wi-fi turned on.
- The on/off switch could be better designed.

Overall, I am really pleased with this tablet. Blackberry has received some poor press recently, which I believe is undeserved. This is a quality product and is much better than some reviews on the early software gives it credit.

Buy this and you will not regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value tablet!, 24 Mar. 2012
G. R. Mcfarland "G-Man" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
First up I will just say that the missing star is for the common problem that everyone knows about and that is lack of apps. This isn't a problem that particularly annoys me but would be unfair to just ignore the issue.
Now, the reason it 'earned' the 4 stars is that it is simply brilliant - 'simply' being the appropriate word. I got the Playbook for watching videos and web surfing and the odd hour or two playing Angry Birds and it does all these brilliantly.
I have an android phone which takes care of all my technical stuff and fancy apps and to be honest the browser is so good in the Playbook apps really aren't necessary. I mean, if you were using a Pc or laptop you aren't going to install Facebook and Twitter apps or Guardian and Times newspaper apps - no, you would just go to the websites. Now I do have the Facebook and Twitter apps installed on the Playbook but I always find myself using the browser and going to the sites. Local video content and flash on the net work perfectly.
The unit itself is sturdy yet not too heavy and just feels right when in the hand. I actually dropped it face down on a tile floor from 4 feet (fortunately it was in the neoprene sleeve [provided]) and there wasn't a mark on it and still works perfectly - not my finest hour admittedly.

All in all a great tablet and I could sit for hours just browsing unlike a bigger 9 or 10 inch tablet in my opinion. It does not require any technical knowledge like you might need with Android devices and I've had my fair share of those.
Don't expect miracles from it as there is the well documented lack of apps but it does the simple things really well and that is all you need for £160ish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet!, 17 May 2011
Short review.

I like my playbook a lot, here's why:

- Capable browser, no need to download special apps to show the whole content of a website
- Real Multitasking, very useful!
- Comfortable to hold and carry around, small enough to fit into many sizes of pockets and bags
- Great display quality
- MicroHDMI-out
- Touch-sensitive bezel allows for some interesting and useful gestures, it's a cool feature
- AppWorld already has some nice apps, and it's getting bigger every day
- Top-notch build quality
- Rubbery back of the device makes it easy to hold.
- Neoprene sleeve included, fits perfectly
- Dual speakers, sound quality is good

As for now, I simply love the playbook. Future updates (especially things like the android launcher) will make it even better!

Edit, 12.1.2012

-The Playbook is still a great tablet in my opinion. Quite a number of firmware updates have been released in the past, which have all enhanced the capability and overall stability of the device. Especially the browser is now a lot more comfortable to use and is generally faster then it was at the time when I wrote my original review.
-OS 2.0 update is ahead (scheduled for February) and it looks like it's going to be a huge update. It's long overdue, but footage from CES shows it's alive indeed (and looking very polished) and brings a LOT of new and very useful features to the Playbook. RIMs goal is definitely to let the Playbook stand out as a real alternative to the whole Android/iOS-Phalanx by giving it more "Blackberry Personality". My guess: they're going to succeed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Take a tablet and call me in the morning, 27 May 2011
S. Porter (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The Blackberry Playbook is a neat little thing. Fits right in the inside pocket of at least some of my jackets. It has a smaller screen than most of its competitors, but the picture is bright and clear. The swipe interface menu takes some getting used to but it is ok. I hope subsequent software upgrades make this a bit smoother. It's not quite as easy to do as the I PAD.

The picture quality from the main camera is awesome - either HD or near-HD quality. I road tested this in Zion National Park in Utah and was blown away by the results.

Of course the big selling point for this tablet is the ability of the browser to use Flash, unlike a main competitor which does not allow it. That means you get to use the motion and graphics features of nearly every website. It also syncs with your Blackberry Smartphone so you can get all of your emails. More importantly, documents, including Adobe and Word open up like beautiful data butterflies and you don't have to squint to see them.

My battery lasts about 6 hours, mainly browsing web pages - pretty good.

The major downside for me so far is the relative lack of Apps on the Playbook. Those that are there don't quite have the sometimes wacky feel of those on I pad or Android devices. They are instead, limited in number and rather staid; there are few social networking APPs that don't look like they've been put together by a bishop- other than the obligatory Twitter and Facebook which (yawn) are pre-loaded.

Blackberry say that the Apps will increase in number and type. As for me, I am not going to throw out my yo-yo just yet.

So, is the Playbook worth getting? The plusses outweigh the minuses and it has heaps of potential. One for now, with the future in mind? Maybe decide in the morning....

4.0 out of 5 stars My First Tablet, 28 Mar. 2012
Blackberry Playbook 16GB Tablet

As a debutant in the world of tablets (and a pensioner) so I did loads of research before dipping my toe in this particular pond - every road seemed to say I-pad UNTIL I read about the "bridge" connection between my BB Phone and the Playbook.

I am a BB phone devotee (had an I-phone for a year but went back to a BB) so the apparent synergy between the BB phone & the playbook was the reason I made my final choice.

Only a week in and I am thrilled - it is so easy to use (once you master the various finger swipes) - setting up the "bridge" was a breeze - the 90 day free Blackberry Support is great (albeit they make it quite a mission to contact them).

The build quality seems great, it feels solid and very tactile - it fits easily into a jacket pocket (so I don't alway have to lug my Mac laptop around) - the battery life seems excellent

Still have loads to learn, which for me is a great way to exercise my aging little grey cells - so whilst I cannot make a comparison with other tablets - I am delighted - and it was less than half the price of an i-Pad.

Hope those of you who read my ramblings may find them helpful