5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value
Published on 13 Dec. 2011 by User

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but you get what you pay for
Price vs quality competitive but downside: big & clumsy and low resolution - aware of this before purchase so no room to moan but having played with it I wish I'd bought a more compact, higher resolution projector even though the cost is higher.
Published on 6 Oct. 2012 by A. V. Whitmore

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 13 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Optoma DS211 2500 ANSI SVGA DLP Projector (Electronics)
I bought this mainly for business presentations and projecting my laptop screen and have to say I am very pleased with the performance of this product. The unit is very light and compact and the brightness is more than enough even in a fairly bright room. When I was researching units I got confused about the difference between native resolution and input resolution. Basically I thought that if the native resolution was 800x600 then I would have to change my laptop resolution to match it. This is NOT the case. I have left my laptop resolution at 1600 x 1200 and there's no problem in making out the writing.

I nearly returned this when I first got it because I couldn't seem to focus it using the focusing lever on the top of the unit. It was only by accident that I discovered that focusing is done by manually turning the lens hood rather than using the lever (I think the lever is just for zoom). Duh! It would have been nice if there was a lens cap included but apart from that, top marks for a great little unit! I can't comment on how this is for movies but for business presentations and for the portability factor its ideal.

p.s. for the user that gave this a one star because they didn't think it came with a UK plug - have a look in the packaging again - its hidden under the cardboard base!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 3 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Optoma DS211 2500 ANSI SVGA DLP Projector (Electronics)
I recently bought the Optoma DS211 and I am delighted with it. I could not believe the quality of the output for such a good price. I have used more expensive models but this one is more than adequate for my lectures in halls and poorly blacked out rooms. It is incredibky easy to set up and brings gasps of admiration when pics are seen on screen. Incidentally, the box in which it arrives with its packing makes a good storage and carrying facility so don't throw it away!I rarely write reviews but feel that this one deserves my praise. I hope you will be as satisfied as I am!

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb projector at an affordable price, 8 May 2012
R. J. Howgego - See all my reviews
This review is from: Optoma DS211 2500 ANSI SVGA DLP Projector (Electronics)
Having experienced many different projectors in my lecture presentations, and having found them to be of variable quality and temperamental in operation, I went by previous reviews to buy this one for myself. And I'm very pleased that I did.
The projector provides countless on-screen menus for making fine adjustments to the image, but straight out of the box it gave such a bright and crystal-clear image, with colours indistinguishable from the original source, that there seemed little point in fiddling around with other options. Plugged straight into a laptop via the supplied cable, it immediately found the source and configured itself accordingly. The DLP technology is far superior to earlier systems, and the quality exceeded other projectors I'd used costing ten times as much. The DS211 is certainly a landmark in the production of projection equipment, making high quality available at a cost that is acceptable to the domestic user.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value Projector!, 18 July 2011
This review is from: Optoma DS211 2500 ANSI SVGA DLP Projector (Electronics)
I bought this projector for my children as a Birthday present and given the price of the box was not expecting a huge amaount.

However, I was suprised just how bright and vivid the colours were. Sure it's not HD but that didn't seem to stop the kids enjoyment as we mainly use it for gaming but I would definately consider using it for the football as well. Out of the box you only have basic connections so if you need anything longer than 2m please make sure you get the necassary cables.

Overall a great value projector that does exactly what it should.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 4 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Optoma DS211 2500 ANSI SVGA DLP Projector (Electronics)
Excellent for the price - ideal for home cinema set up with good clear, bright picture. Be aware that the 'throw' of the image is a fair distance away so do measure! Delivery prompt

4.0 out of 5 stars very good value, 26 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Optoma DS211 2500 ANSI SVGA DLP Projector (Electronics)
when reading the techs and the reviews on this product I thought it sounded too good to be true considering the price - but i went out on a limb thinking it seemed a reasonable gamble. Worked straight out of the box and has given me nothing but joy for the last couple months sice i bought it. The noise level is minimal if you are watching films with some speakers plugged in - though might be a tad loud for working without audio. For the purposes of watching media, playing games and so on i cannot (so far) fault this product. It gets fairly hot once you run into the 2+ hour mark but then i dont know of a projector that doesnt.
One drawback I have found (that is no fault of Optima or Amazon) is the infamous 'rainbow effect' apparently so common with DLP projectors. I read up on this before buying and hoped i wasnt one of the few who suffer from this badly. I do notice it quite strongly when looking at certain things (credits or sequences with large black parts to the screen) but not nearly so much as some have stated, furthermore it really is negligable at all other times and I seem to notice it more than everyone else around me, so again, i would say its a reasonable gamble.

All in all this is an excellent product and good value for money, and furthermore a testiment to the progression of technology allowing items which once were unnafordable to all but specialists, now featuring in peoples homes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing projector!, 7 July 2011
This review is from: Optoma DS211 2500 ANSI SVGA DLP Projector (Electronics)
I must say that I purchased this projector last month and I am completely surprised by the quality it produces for the price I paid! An absolute steal!!!

I have watched the tennis, motor racing, as well as normal TV programmes and films on this by projecting on to my living room wall, the picture image is colourful and bright, clarity is second to none, easy to set up and easy to control (I let me daughter connect it up and it was installed and working within minutes).

The product is smaller than I anticipated and the chasis is sturdy and very 'durable' looking ideal when placing it on a coffee table!

I am so happy with my purchase, definately a 'must-have', excellent value!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great projector for the money., 12 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Optoma DS211 2500 ANSI SVGA DLP Projector (Electronics)
I bought this because it fit my budget of how much i actually wanted to spend..
It was very easy to set up, i now have it hooked into my dvd cinema system via a video lead (yellow)
Unfortunately the first one i got seemed to have a problem, it would switch on ok sometimes and other times, would try coming on a few times (you could hear the fan) but the light would not come on.. So i returned it and got another very quickly with no hassle.. I am glad i did, as the replacement works perfectly and switches on first time.
I find this projector very quiet when on, considering its sitting a few inches from my head. I will ceiling mount it in the future..
The picture is excellent, i use it on the light saving mode and is more than bright enough. Biggest i can get it due to the size of my room is a picture of about 7 feet by 5 feet.. which i am very happy with.. This is my first projector.. I am so glad i bit the bullet and bought it.
I was using a white sheet to start with and it was fine but i then bought the proper projector screen material and it looks even better...

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 12 Jan. 2012
J. S. Bywater-lees (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Optoma DS211 2500 ANSI SVGA DLP Projector (Electronics)
This is a value for money product which was discounted but it is not a LCD projector. It does have a similar lumine/light output that more expensive LCD projectors have and the lens is good enough to project onto a sheet at the bottom of the garden.

DLP uses a different method of projection to LCD so the definition is less good and the possibility of distracting rainbow effect. Rainbow/light diffraction, occurs in white or bright parts of the scene but some notice it and some don't. After some experimentation it appears to be visible if you tend to look at the movie with darting eye movements. Rubbish movies where you may get distracted from looking at the screen can cause the effect to be obvious. Changing the distance from the screen of the viewer or projector reduces/increases the rainbow effect.

Otherwise you get a full cinema effect [with a big hifi] for £200. A great toy and amazing with some xbox games!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent after the first glitch, 18 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Optoma DS211 2500 ANSI SVGA DLP Projector (Electronics)
Arrived next day as requested. Needed urgently for presentation in a pub. Major panic--it didn't work! Found broken fuse and replacement did not help--seemed to be a faulty cable--used the one from the kettle and hey presto---action!
Amazon were fantastic. I sent an E-mail to them and had a phone call within 5 minutes of sending the E-mail, account credited with enough money to buy and ship a new cable.
Projector is as good as previous reviews state it is. One of the best I have ever used. Highly recommended, including keeping the box for storage!