5.0 out of 5 stars Peter Alexander Gray (writer)
Published 10 months ago by Peter Alexander Gray

Published on 30 Jan. 2013 by David

3.0 out of 5 stars Portrait of one of Europe's great statesmen and nation builders., 30 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Bismarck and the Foundation of the German Empire (Kindle Edition)
Headlam is clearly a fan of his subject and it shows! He has, however, written a short but thorough history of the man and his period and his efforts to build the Germany that largely has lasted and will continue to be a major force in European history. The book is sufficient to provide a basic background and enough to stimulate or enhance an interest in Otto von Bismarck and the rise of the German nation from a collection of minor kingdoms and principalities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peter Alexander Gray (writer), 10 Jun. 2014
I downloaded the free Kindle edition, which of course doesn't have images (pictures, photos, etc.) but that to me is unimportant. I'm a writer of historical fiction, currently working on the sequel to 'The Door of Perarolo'. I'm researching the period in the nineteenth century that relates to Bismarck's rise to power and subsequent fall. I have other books about Bismarck, but I found this one by James Wycliffe Headlam extremely readable and comprehensive, concise and accurate as a historical account. Being the Kindle version it is very handy for me as I keep my (very basic model!) Kindle in my jacket pocket when away from home, and I can dip into James' book whenever I find I have time on my hands. A big 'thank you' to James Headlam from me!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Interesting', 1 May 2013
a good book to read and a lot I did not know.
it's very interesting for the First World War.

Bismarck and the Foundation of the German Empire