5.0 out of 5 stars A Guidebook like no other
Published on 26 Mar. 2001 by W. Weinstein

3.0 out of 5 stars Messing about on the river
When I read this as quite a young child, it seemed hilarious. I'm referring, for instance, to George and Harris rushing round in search of the butter, until realising that one of them had sat in it. Struggling dutifully through it more recently for a book group, it seemed rather silly and very dated, although I could still laugh at the succession of locals claiming to...
Published 4 months ago by Antenna

5.0 out of 5 stars A Guidebook like no other, 26 Mar. 2001
When an author's name is Jerome K. Jerome, you know you are in for something special and this book does not disappoint you. Originally conceived as a guide to the River Thames, Three Men in a Boat, is the funniest, maddest book you are ever likely to find, about something as simple as idling down a river. The book ranges far and wide beyond the scope of either a travel guide or a memoir. It is full of little anecdotes about such things as barometers and hypochondria. It makes mention of the pleasures and perils of having your boat towed by girls. It explains the dangers posed by swans and the trauma caused by tinned pineapple. Whilst the language is from a bygone age, the book is never stuffy or boring. The humour is as fresh today as it was when Queen Victoria was on the throne. This book is so funny that I had to stop reading it on the London Underground where laughter and frivolity are frowned upon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless., 28 Jun. 2001
Mr. R. K. Sharp (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
After reading this book, you would be shocked to find that it had been written so long ago. I'm not the most educated of people but this is one of the funniest books I have ever read. Everyday humour delivered in a timeless way. The characters are so realistic, with more than a passing resemblance to many people you know. You will wonder why everyone hasn't read this book. Funny, funny, funny. Thanks J.K.J.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious - a masterpiece, 30 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Three Men in a Boat (Kindle Edition)
If you like Withnail and I, then you'll just love this. It's utterly timeless; anyone who's tried to put up a tent (for example) will recognise it instantly. It really is laugh-out-loud funny. The language is beautiful and it's incredibly well-written. I cannot recommend it enough.

If you don't love this book, and don't weep laughing whilst reading it, then there's something wrong with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Comedy Classic, 20 April 2011
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Three Men in a Boat (Kindle Edition)
Firstly, I should point out in all honesty that at times in this free edition some of the paragraphs seem to start out with a couple of words that describe what the paragraph is about. When you start to read a paragraph like this, then just skip to the next word starting with a capital letter, and you will be okay. Apart from this there is no other gripe about this edition, it is all here in its full comic glory.

First published in 1899 this met with bad and indifferent reviews, but the public just couldn't stop buying it. I think most people must be aware of the story but for those who aren't basically it is this. The narrator and two friends, plus a dog decide to take a boating holiday upon the Thames. This is their story, about what happens, and problems that they have; also it is in parts a travelogue, as well as being full of comic asides and anecdotes. Despite its small size there is just so much inside the pages of this.

I first had to read part of this at school, when we were doing anecdotes, but I just had to buy the full book for myself. Since then I have read it countless times, and suggested it to others, and so far I haven't found anyone who doesn't like it. We all love to have a laugh, and you can't go wrong with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great tale, 1 April 2000
By A Customer
This book is probably the best of Jerome's works; it is the story of three young men and a dog who decide that they will take a rowing-boat up the river to Oxford from London. All the surroundings are well-described, owing to the fact that Jerome did that journey himself, in a very humorous fashion, and one can often sympathise with the predicaments into which the three intrepid explorers find themselves. An altogether good read, which can be made especially interesting if one knows the parts of the river being described, and it is interesting to compare with to-day, 110 years later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 25 July 2000
By A Customer
I first read this book years ago and remember laughing out loud several times at the goings-on in this book. The writing is similar in style to "Diary of A Nobody" - at the risk of seeming ignorant, would it be described as Victorian? Take three not-very-outdoorsy type City-dwellers, and a dog, and place them on a boat going up the Thames, and you get misadventures galore. A classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still hilarious after all this time, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Three Men in a Boat (Kindle Edition)
If I am feeling blue then reading Three Men in a Boat is guaranteed to cheer me up! It is so funny, even over 100 years later, and I love it to pieces. The humour is something that everyone can relate to as it is still the humour of today - the main character tells the story of how he and his 2 friends and the dog take a river trip, and he relates all the adventures that happen on the trip. The dog provides a lot of entertainment, as do the men, who are not without their faults. There are hilarious descriptions we can all relate to; I particularly like the bit where they are packing and things won't fit in the case. Then there are tales of how they try to get back to their camp in the dark, and various scrapes along the way. It's not a long book but it does have a lot of laughs.

5.0 out of 5 stars it's an easy read (and what's wrong with that, 23 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Three Men in a Boat (Kindle Edition)
I first read this when I was 17- and almost got kicked out of the school library for making those 'trying-not-to-laugh-and-end-up-snorting-instead' noises.

30 years on- and here I am with a shiny new toy (my Kindle Fire) and browsing which freebie books I can pop on it (cheapskate that I am)...and what do I see but Three Men in a Boat. Curiosity kicks in and I decide to see if it's anywhere near as amusing as I seem to remember, or if that's just nostalgia telling embellishing. It's been known to do that to me before.

Deciding I have nothing to lose (because, y'know, cheapskate...) I download and begin to read.

Oh dear heaven!

I not only produced the same giggle-snort noises of yesteryear- but had to give up reading it it in the evening because I was literally crying with laughter and was in danger of disturbing everyone.

Yes, it's an easy read (and what's wrong with that?) and yes, if a reader can't get it into their head that it isn't a bunch of 21st century guys with modern thoughts, attitudes and ways of dress/ speech etc- but Victorian 'fellows' then they'll probably not 'get it'. Sadly that's their loss. IT's the sheer beauty of the language and period that make it so darn funny. There are some passages which meander off into a bit of a history lesson now and then and may seem a little out of place with the humourous tone overall- but you can feel Jerome's genuine fondness for his subject and it never hurts to actually pick up a little knowledge here and there, after all.

The only real criticism I have isn't of the book itself- it's the slightly odd formatting. The kindle version lacks the original illustrations but does have random words or word at the beginning of paragraphs and chapters. I rather suspect that these words describe the illustration that should have been there- almost as if someone has removed a picture but left the 'tags' in place....so that you may see 'Dog swimming in water' right at the start of a paragraph about Montmorency (J's dog) being in the river. It made me wonder if the English language was having a funny five minutes before I realised what it probably was- and learned to ignore it after that.

Five stars from me- because if a book by a Victorian chap about other Victorian chaps can make me laugh aloud and have to dry my eyes and wipe my nose whilst doing so, some 125 years later- it's got to be worth a look, hasn't it?

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Masterpiece, 13 Feb. 2012
Mr. C. McNish - See all my reviews
This review is from: Three Men in a Boat (Kindle Edition)
Jerome K. Jerome; it's hardly a name you're likely to forget once you hear it, and though that happened many years ago I never once felt compelled to read any of his titles until I came across 'Three Men In A Boat' on free kindle download. Now I can honestly say that it is one of the funniest, true-to-life books that I am ever likely to read. There are two things that make it a little cumbersome in the beginning; the rather squashed-up layout of the print, with seemingly random words at the beginnings of many paragraphs, and the long-winded language used in writing, which was the way at that time. But the latter soon becomes a huge enhancement to the story; the detail is so rich it takes little effort to picture yourself in the moment, and the anecdotal style which runs throughout I can describe as nothing less than storytelling genius; so much of what is said is still so true today - the medical dictionary, packing for the trip and the frustration behind the task of opening a can of pineapple are truisms you can't fail to laugh out loud at. Some of the reviews suggest the story falls a little flat at the end, and I can see why that assertion was made, but this only happens after a somewhat poignant event (I won't say what it is) has taken place, and rather than the author running out of steam I would say it stays true to human nature; you witness such an event and suddenly the zest and vitality is removed from within you, as appears to happen here. You lose interest in your surroundings and things aren't quite as they were. Intentional or otherwise, my inclination is to applaud the author for following the previous traits of the book with a very intelligent piece of writing. I'd never have thought a story that shot off on so many tangents so frequently could ever hold my interest, but this is truly unmissable. I can't recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars A comedy classic, 11 April 2000
By A Customer
Both funny and evocative, Three Men In A Boat is one of the most enjoyable reads around. It is rightly regarded as a comedy classic. I first read this book when I was a teenager, and since then I've always wanted to take a boat on the River Thames!

Three Men in a Boat