5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must-have
It's free and a good translation. It's an absolute must-have. If you get depressed easily you might want to avoid, otherwise Voltaire's ascerbic wit will touch you in ways no authors can. Probably my favourite book.
Published on 28 Feb. 2012 by Arynth

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor
Poor translation, the text has no flow and grates after a while. Spoils a great book. Much better to pay for a good copy than suffer this edition
Published on 17 Jan. 2013 by Christopher Chaplin

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must-have, 28 Feb. 2012
Arynth (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

5.0 out of 5 stars Warning: contains side-splitting episodes..., 26 April 2013
This review is from: Candide (Kindle Edition)
A short read but well worth it. Buddhist in its way; the only good person in the story dies once and stays dead, whereas the other characters keep coming back to life, to suffer again the trials and torments of this nasty world. Hilarious. I was pleased to find this free edition courtesy of Gutenberg after listening to Melvyn Bragg's BBC Radio Four broadcast 'In our time' episode about the book, and was even more pleased to find that I live less than two hours drive from the house where Voltaire lived in Ferney near Geneva, which is where he wrote 'Candide' and is itself a rewarding place to visit. Treat yourself to this entertaining ebook, it's free, and you'll have it read in a couple of hours. A must for anyone interested in European culture and civilization.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books ever written, 2 May 2012
This review is from: Candide (Kindle Edition)
Voltaire was a comedy genius, way ahead of his time. This book despite it's era is very easy to read, plus it is quite short. This book is in my top 3 and I first read it 10 years ago, nothing has surpassed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Candide, my first Voltaire, 10 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Candide (Kindle Edition)
This book was recommended to me by a friend, and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it. In fact I have read it twice and will work my way through all the other Voltaire titles.
The subtle humour contained in this excellent story had me chuckling to my self many times and would suggest to anyone not accustomed to this type of book to read carefully and not miss anything, it is well worth the care. In short, a truly excellent book. G

5.0 out of 5 stars A review pour encourager les autres!, 29 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Candide (Kindle Edition)
"Dans ce pays-ci, il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral pour encourager les autres." (In this country, it's good to kill an admiral from time to time, in order to encourage the others)

Candide remains an incredible book. An apparently picaresque and even Pythonesque romp where a young man seeks to marry his childhood sweetheart in spite of lurid misadventures, as he clings to his old teacher's maxim that everything happens for the best in this "best of all possible worlds".

It's not all adventure and silliness though, Voltaire's short novel is probably the definitive social satire, brutally skewering religion, politics, the military and various philosophies. This is an 18th Century French book that has seeded idiomatic phrases into the English language. Il faut cultiver notre jardin, le meillure des mondes possibles and of course pour encourager les autres.

In this absurd tale where cannibals will let you out of the cooking pot if you can prove you killed a Jesuit, and where even hanging and dissection are not always fatal, Voltaire never misses an opportunity to have a good laugh at the world. Read it, and better yet, read it in French.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 17 Jan. 2013
Christopher Chaplin (London, UK) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic with a message for the modern age, 31 May 2012
This review is from: Candide (Kindle Edition)
One of the many classics I am currently re-reading, 'Candide' still entertains me. I would credit its continued relevance as a satire on society and the human condition even though the vast majority of its contemporary references are now forgotten except by specialists and scholars. What touches the modern reader is the humour, the broad but hilariously irreverent characterisation (it had not struck me before how like Don Quixote and Sancho Panza are Candide and Cacambo), the sharpness of the satire, and the questioning philosophy. I would argue there are few more powerful books on the hold our acquisitive natures have on us and the futility of our greed, or on the merits of finding our personal gardens to cultivate. It's a simple but effective message, and it's great that it and the book are now on offer for free courtesy of Amazon and Kindle.

Reviewer David Williams blogs regularly as Writer in the North.

4.0 out of 5 stars What an easy read, 19 Nov. 2012
Duncan Williamson "Tall Tyke" (Halifax West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Candide (Kindle Edition)
I had never read any Voltaire because he was French and I assumed Candide would be a huge book full of philosophy and tough things like that. Not a bit of it!

This is a short and really good, old fashioned, roustabout story that is, to quote from the Bard, full of sound and fury signifying nothing!

People have fabulous wealth in this book but then they lose it at a paf! Then they are rich again. Then they are swindled.

People die but come back to life: you thought Dallas had invented the dream scene didn't you!

Impossible people in impossible situations doing impossible things for impossible reasons. We travel round the world in this book in pea green boats and sieves!

Read this book and enjoy it: each chapter comprises 500 words or so and I think there is a total of only 80 pages.

A surprisingly good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have sufficient reason to conclude that M.Voltaire is the best of all possible authors, 1 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Candide (Kindle Edition)
This book is an epic in miniature: Voltaire explores heavy themes within faith and philosophy with the playfulness and biting wit of the Rococo period. A Moffat-esque attitude to death presides over the twisting plot, and tragedy soon loses impact. This is a fast-paced and compelling book, where nothing is absurd enough to faze the main protagonist, and indulgently vivid characters and settings flash past by the minute.

A great read for french GCSE/A level students - the chapters come in small chunks, and quick, frequent jokes are an excellent motivator. (The French edition is also available for kindle!)

Conclusion - READ. NOW.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cynical not satirical., 4 Oct. 2013
Jan Fisher (leeds,england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Candide (Kindle Edition)
I had high expectations of this book. I enjoy good satire and I was expecting to be highly amused but I was disappointed. I found the book to be more cynical than satirical. Candide is the innocent optimist whose optimistic outlook is tested constantly by almost everyone he meets. Perhaps the quality of the satire has been diminished in translation because I found it childish, obvious and silly rather than clever and subtle as I would have expected. I have read much better satire in Private Eye. Also the message of the book seems to be that the world is a horrible place and everyone is evil. I prefer a more balanced view that there is good and bad.

Candide