5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Story
Published on 9 Oct. 2011 by bandcandy

3.0 out of 5 stars Out of this world,literally
Very creative style of writing, an interesting fictional subject. Will definitely read more of Arthur Conan Doyle's work. Definitely different
Published 9 months ago by carrielou

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Story, 9 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Lost World (Kindle Edition)
The Lost World is an exciting, well written story with beautifully drawn characters and touches of humour and philosophy which raise it to the highest level of literature. I particularly enjoyed the dynamic between the two professors. As well as being a classic story of adventure and discovery - and presumably an inspiration behind the film Jurassic Park 2 [DVD], there is a strong personal story of self-discovery for the central character and narrator, Edward Malone. The only thing that caused me to raise my eyebrows at times was the degree of intervention the scientists and explorers allowed themselves in the lost world they visit - but this was written in the early twentieth century when a different ethos prevailed. I was also mildly distracted by the use of American spelling in places in a book written by a Scottish author; but without another version to compare, I cannot tell if this was a modification made for the Kindle version. All in all, highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars If Holmes travelled..., 2 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Lost World (Kindle Edition)
If Holmes travelled he would be called Challenger. Written in 1912, this is one, and probably most famous, of a series if books featuring Professor Challenger. As with Watson writing about Holmes, so this is written from the viewpoint of a companion, in this case a journalist.

Challenger, rude, irascible and brilliant, and at times, insufferable, believes he had found evidence of a lost world, where creatures extinct still live through a freak of geographical nature, so setting out with an adventurer, a sceptic and the said journalist, who wants nothing more than marry his lady friend (Conan Doyle shows us his humour in this relationship, or bitterness), the narrative takes us to South America to search and discover this Lost World, that predates Jurassic Park by decades. We follow their adventures and perils

The book is beautifully written and descriptive, and despite a bit of stereotyping, most of the characters were written sympathetically, especially for 1912. And yet despite all this, and various adventures, the danger to drive the narrative never seemed fully developed. Oh people die of course, and who am I to criticize the great Doyle, but at the end felt a tad, shouldn't there have been more.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Lost World, 7 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Lost World (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyable. I'm not usually a reader of 'classics' but took this book as my first (free) foray into the world of free ebooks. The story is far removed from the modern day Jurassic Park film, but is entertaining enough as a leisurely read, even with its old style word. Worth a read....

5.0 out of 5 stars Meet Professor Challenger, 21 April 2011
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Lost World (Kindle Edition)
This was the first of Conan Doyle's Professor Challenger stories, and arguably still the best. Narrated by journalist Edward Malone, this is the tale of how he went about meeting Professor Challenger, and hopefully uncovering a hoax, but instead found himself on an expedition with Challenger, Professor Summerlee, and Lord John Roxton.

Since Professor Challenger has come back from South America no one will believe him about strange creatures, even though he shows his evidence. In the end a small expedition is mounted to determine whether Challenger is pulling a hoax, or indeed has found an undiscovered area, where dinosaurs still walk the Earth.

Full of adventure at the discovery of a 'lost world' our intrepid explorers have more to deal with than dinosaurs, there are also two different tribes in the area, and our group seem to be stranded for all time. Will they ever be able to return to the normal world, or even survive their trip?

I suspect like many people I read this when I was still at school, but it is one of those tales that is worth reading more than once, and is great to introduce younger readers to adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic read, 31 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Lost World (Kindle Edition)
I read this book and then immediately watched the 1925 silent film adaptation - suddenly the world feels a better place! the book is full of Doyle's greatness and has early 20th century charm in its view of "savages" and "small brain dinosaurs". In the end the humans prevail, however not having escaped Doyle's treatment and the finale perhaps vindicates the viewpoint that some things should be better left "lost".
I am surprised we haven't seen yet a modern adaptation of the original Lost world. if you value your brain cells, steer clear of the Michael Crichton variety and keep with the legendary sir Arthur Conan Doyle. As with a lot of things, the "remake" pales in comparison to the original inception.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded expectations, 31 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Lost World (Kindle Edition)
This is the first I have read of Arthur Conan Doyle and must say it exceeded expectations.
I am always wary that I won't like the writing style of books written in the early 1900's, however I had no worries at all with this book.
It is beautifully written and the descriptions are out if this world considering the era it written.
This book hade me enthralled from the first page and on the edge of my seat for the rest.
I really came to like the main characters in the book, in particular Professor Challenger who is fiery and opinionated but I couldn't help but love him by the end of the book.
Needless to say this won't be the last Arthur Conan Doyle novel that I read.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful adventure story, still as good now as it was when I was a lad., 3 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Lost World (Kindle Edition)
Read this originally as a teenager and thought I'd like to see if it had the same feel second time round. I'm pleased to say it did. I became totally engrossed in the adventures of Professors Challenger and Summerlee, Lord John Roxton and Reporter, E D Malone. Conan Doyle's descriptions of his 'Lost World' are thrilling, and wonderfully wirtten, and this book still provides an edge of the seat quality throughout and I loved it as much now as I did fifty years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've only recently come to Conan Doyle, 3 July 2014
This review is from: The Lost World (Kindle Edition)
Great, well written book. Not quite the modern approach to zoology but I'm sure it reflects the times so all allowances given

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 2 July 2014
This review is from: The Lost World (Kindle Edition)
Stands the test of time very well, classic

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Story - Just loved it, 29 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Lost World (Kindle Edition)
I have always loved this book and when I got the chance to get it on a Free Ebook thought why not.

Go on give yourself a treat and order The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

The Lost World