5.0 out of 5 stars Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery
Jane Austen. Her name is practically synonymous with classic, understated romance, as well as comedies of manners with a subtle, sly sense of humor.

And Austen's "The Complete Novels" brings together the full complement of Austen's finished novels, from the little-known "Lady Susan" to the classic bestseller "Pride and Prejudice" (and everything in between)...
Published on 16 May 2010 by E. A Solinas

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable
I love these Jane Austen books and do not fault the stories at all. However the book is very big and difficult to carry around, The pages are extremly thin. For all these novels the cost is unbelievably low. However I wish I had bought all the stories as individual books
Published on 29 April 2009 by Mazda

‹ Previous | 122 23 2428 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars the best read!, 26 Nov 2014
Being a great fan of Jane Austen, I really enjoyed having all her books in one good read. No disappointment here then. It's nice to have this Kindle version, I don't have to carry a heavy volume with me.
I would recommend this version to everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jane Austin lives again!, 10 Nov 2014
M. Counsell (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Jane Austen Collection: The Complete Works (Includes Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park, Emma, Northanger Abbey, Persuasion, Lady Susan & more. Plus Audiobooks) (Kindle Edition)
Wonderful to read these again. Although the world of the times Jane Austen is describing are so different from today, the people in the story are completely human, and behave just as we would have done in those circumstances. Hilarious!

5.0 out of 5 stars collection of jane austen novels, 7 Aug 2009
as a fan of jane austen, i wanted all the books, this complete collection is reliable and the artwork cover make it worth ten times the price they r selling it!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Large, complete, economical, 16 Aug 2014
Dr. K. E. Patrick (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Massive tome, but good value with all the main novels included, unabridged. I did get a bit tired of holding it, but a satisfying feeling when you slam that back cover closed and know that you've done the whole thing!

1.0 out of 5 stars English Author - American Spellings and Unspotted typos, 15 Sep 2013
Having only just started on the first story, "Sense and Sensibility," I realised very quickly that whoever input this story - or the proofreader - is either American or just didn't bother to change the default dictionary, since I was irritated early on by the American spellings of "honor," "good-humored" and "neighbor" rather than the English "honour," "good-humoured" and "neighbour." I also winced at irritating errors such as the word "be" where it should obviously have been "he," and so on: a spellchecker wouldn't recognise a problem there, but a proof-reader actually reading the material should have done.

However, I persevered, until finally I came to one sentence which included "in their favor" (American, again), followed in the next sentence by "...she was persuaded that a much smaller provision than 70001. would support her in affluence." Did anyone - I mean a real literate human being - actually proof-read this?

Jane Austen was a world-famous English author whose stories epitomised the social etiquette of the period, and having the smooth flow of her quintessentially English prose intermittently distorted by Americanised spellings and dreadful proofreading so completely destroys the pleasure of reading her books that I can't bear to read any more, and I have deleted the whole collection from my Kindle. I'm going back to the paper versions!

5.0 out of 5 stars A glimpse of another time., 17 Jan 2004
I loved most of the novels, though the last in the book was my least favourite.
I managed to read this book just before seeing the TV production of 'Pride & Prejudice' (probably a repeat when I saw it) and am glad the order was so. My own visualisation of the characters' appearance was very different from that on screen and I would have been denied that pleasure had I seen the TV first.
Jane Austen's portrayal of the characters is excellent and very believable. You do not need the television to see them very clearly for yourself.
For those of us living in the present day some of the expectations of the people in the novels seem very odd. I for one cannot imagine being so subservient, nor can I imagine relying on anyone else to provide for me. Only the fact that I enjoy reading the classics makes their lives familiar.
As an insight into former times these novels are a wealth of information, woven into wonderful scenarios with depth and clarity, forming a most enjoyable whole.
Definitely worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars jane austen complete, 12 Jan 2010
I bought this as a gift for my sister, she LOVED it! It's such a beautiful book, Much nicer than it looks in picture.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent reading, 23 Mar 2010
Mrs. Angela R. Cash "fieryred" (peterborough uk) - See all my reviews
this book has all the jane austen stories Good reeads read when l was a child and now at 56 still enjoy reading

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceent, 5 Nov 2014
This review is from: Jane Austen (Paperback)
I have been very impressed with my book, the quality is excellent, apart from the front cover is mildly bent

4.0 out of 5 stars It was fine but I found it very long as there is ..., 29 Aug 2014
It was fine but I found it very long as there is no way to know how many pages are in each story.

‹ Previous | 122 23 2428 | Next ›