5.0 out of 5 stars Very good hard drive
Bought this back in June (so now 5 months old)and it's been faultless. While this should be unremarkable, I've owned other drives that have failed within a month or two (note: most recently 2 WD Scorpio Blue drives, which I recommend avoiding).
It's also very quiet for a 7200 rpm hdd.
Published on 14 Nov 2011 by David Sandilands

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok while it lasted, but died after exactly 18 months
And what's worse is that the SMART status that's supposed to tell you that the drive is failing just lies. The drive's internal error log showed it had been suffering errors, but the SMART status still reported that everything was ok.
Published 3 months ago by jacaranda

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good hard drive, 14 Nov 2011
David Sandilands "DSNet" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Toshiba MK5061GSYN 500GB SATA 3GB/s 7200rpm 2.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive (Accessory)
It's also very quiet for a 7200 rpm hdd.

5.0 out of 5 stars fab little drive, 15 July 2012
just installed this into the superdrive by of my late 2009 macbok pro 13" with one of the cradles available on this website, like myself, for those who are not ust to installing hard drives, in order to formatt an unformatted drive, go to disk manager, select the drive form the list on the left, and erase the drive, not the most obvious way to format a drive, and suprised there was nothing labeled "format" shame i didnt have the courage to clone the original hard drive (wich is still in the propper hdd bay) as i imagine the extra 1800rpm on the new drive would give it a far faster boot up time.

5.0 out of 5 stars fast and quiet, 6 Oct 2012
Bought this as a replacement of a western digital 320GB hdd for my MBP, because WD started to have physical errors.
Both the WD and this Toshiba are running at 7200 RPM, but Toshiba is extremely quiet, whereas WD was pretty noisy.
I could have went for a bigger size Seagate or WD hdd - 750GB or 1TB, but I wanted a reliable hard drive and Toshiba HDDs never disappointed me before.
So far I'm very pleased with this Toshiba 500GB HDD, works great.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is not a solid state drive but speeds up a bit the "loading..." screen in my video games, 10 Jan 2012
F. Touz (London, England) - See all my reviews
I've ordered this hard disk to have more space for saving and rendering videos and for playing video games. I had the chance to try the previous version (5400 RPM) as I played "Dirt 3" and you really can tell the difference between the 5400 RPM version and the 7200 RPM version. Mind you, this is my experience and it might have different results for other users.

During my usage the "loading..." screen took noticeably more time at 5400 RPM than it did with this hard disk at 7200 RPM (around 3-5 seconds).

I'd recommend this hard disk if you want to have a mildly fast hard drive but you are not ready to invest in a solid state hard disk drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Tosh for little dosh, 29 Dec 2012
I bought this to upgrade my Son's Dell laptop and use his old drive to sort out a mates laptop. This is a great drive for the money, having a spindle speed of 7200RPM, which is an improvement in performance over the old drive. As I also sorted my mates laptop out it was a win win all round and very happy with the price, speedy delivery and purchase overall.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good performance but RPM issue?, 7 Oct 2012
Joe James (Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Disk arrived in very good time, swapped into my 2007 MacBook in no time at all and then restored my system from backup perfectly.

Now it works great, slightly quicker than my old WD Scorpio Blue 500GB drive that was 5400 rpm.

There's the problem though, when I look in my About This Mac option, the Toshiba drive is mentioned as being 5400rpm.....did I get sent the wrong one or is the MacBook failing to recognise it?

It's a good drive but I'm confused!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent buy, 1 Mar 2012
S. Casoojee "RaAiD" (London, England, UK, EU, Europe, Planet 3 of Solar System ZZD, Universe 9TG, Dimension Q, Sector ASC) - See all my reviews
I am currently using this HDD on my laptop, and it works very well. I had a Western Digital Scorpio Black (320 gb, 7200 rpm) and this Toshiba has served as an equal if not a bit superior replacement. I highly recommend it, it offers high functionality for good value!

5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba Hard Drive, 19 Oct 2011
A very reliable and solidly built drive, easy to install and works like a dream, had it in the machine and software up and running in a very short period of time. Highly recommendable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 12 Aug 2014
I bought it as a replacement HDD for my Toshiba laptop in July 2012 - It still works very well, I didn't have any issues with it and I am very happy with this purchase! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow silent and so small, 30 July 2011
John J. Plant "dinky740" (herefordshire) - See all my reviews
It amazes me no end how brilliant technology is.
This 5ooGB HDD is so tiny.
Was hoping it would be not too noisy, you know you get used to how your machine behaves.
Well this HDD is as good as silent. My Dell Studio sounds no different with this drive fitted. Fantastic.
I wonder how long 500GB will last me before 1TB seem inadequate?