5.0 out of 5 stars My soul to Keep and book to keep
This book is the third in the serie's.

My Soul to Keep is a thrilling read that kept my heart in my throat and tears at the edge of my eyes through most of it. This book recaptured the magic that was somehow missing in the second book in this series, they are all good but the first and the third left goosebumps on my skin.

Kaylee has grown a lot over...
Published on 20 Jun. 2010 by J. Weir

3.0 out of 5 stars Depressed... well written but ..ouch.... not light and fluffy
Ok so I read the first book and liked it. The characters were great and I connected with them. Then, by chance, I skipped the second book and read the third and I have been morbidly depressed ever since.

The writing was great but the subject matter was hurtful. I fell in love with the characters and now I am in pain. I know that this is the sign of a good...
Published on 17 Jan. 2011 by nobody

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars My soul to Keep and book to keep, 20 Jun. 2010
J. Weir (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is the third in the serie's.

Kaylee has grown a lot over just three books and her pain and heart ache are a living and breathing thing that made my throat catch with her. She felt real in a way that some authors just cant do. Even the non main characters felt like they could reach out of the book.

The story itself was a lead on from the previous book - not the story but the consequences of what happened - and introduced several new and exiting characters. Several parts of this story were obvious, I wont tell you which ;D, but others caught me entirely by surprise.

One of the things I love about these books is the total lack of super powers or sudden appearance of hidden powers to save the day, they live on chance and their whits, or they would die for the lack of them. This gives a more intense story where you really don't know who will walk away and who won't.

I am 24 and I loved this book regardless of its YA title. It touches on both the dangers of drugs and the pressure that teenagers are under to move to the next step with their partners. Rachel describes the physical tension very well, Kaylee is tempted by her boyfriend and pressured by him, but she doesn't give in just because she is pressured and this is a lesson that many teenagers learn to late.

I had to buy this book from a reseller second hand (at more than the book cost new) because it hasn't been released in the UK yet :(. Paying slightly more for the book was worth it but I hope the next book will be even more readily available in the UK. After buying the book my sister emailed Someone (Possible Rachel? I forgot to ask) who recommended a site in America that Rachel promotes for her books. One of the things she said was that there was no postage costs so anyone wanting to buy the book in the UK might want to try there.

I have passed this book onto my sister who is eagerly waiting to read it. I cant wait till My Soul to Steal Comes out and Alpha of course. I happily learned from Rachel's twitter yesterday that its due out two weeks earlier than the US! :D can't wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in series so far! Loved it, 23 Jun. 2010
Claire Mill "Cem" (England) - See all my reviews
This is the third book in the Soul Screamers series and while I liked the first two, a lot, I didn't love them. No specific reason, they're well written, good well rounded characters, good plot, but just didn't fully grab me like some YA series can. But I still wanted this book a lot, especially after a few people said it was the best one yet. They weren't wrong. I adored this book!! I was hooked from the start and couldn't put it down. I had a lot of trouble getting a hold of a copy but once I had it, I read it in a day easily.

MSTKeep is darker than either of the books before it, Kaylee does a lot of growing up, loses a fair bit of the innocence and naivety that surrounded her, and it's not pretty. Which is probably why I love it so much. Life isn't easy, and growing up in particular is painful, ugly and unavoidable. Why shouldn't fictional characters have to deal with that too? The form it takes is more or less irrelevant for me, I just can't take fictional characters seriously if they're everything is easy for them. Kaylee has never had it easy, but the events of MSTKeep are much rougher on her. It picks up a month after the end of MSTSave, when Kaylee's grounding for passing in to the Netherworld has just ended. Her first night of freedom sees her at a party where she finds a friend with the scent of Demon Breath on his. Kaylee is shocked and scared. The forbidden Netherworld substance shouldn't be in the human world and certainly not being taken by high school jocks. But it is and she's determined to get to the bottom of it.

It's fast paced and had some great twists. I did guess one big thing before the book was out, but that was fine, it didn't stop it being a painful emotional ride that had me just about in tears at times. I felt so much for Kaylee as she tried to make sense out of what was going on and how to fix things. The Netherworld is dark and creepy as it should be, but I think I felt it more this time around. Nash and Tod are of course big parts of the story as well, and I love how the brothers react to each other, but also how they both play off Kaylee. Tod is one of my favourite side characters ever, for a grim reaper he's a lot of fun. He's dark and sarcastic, I love his friendship with Kaylee (and that it is a friendship, not a possible love interest) and I love seeing what he does for those he loves. Overall, a really great read, great character development and the ending was awesome, painful but awesome. I can't wait for book 4, My Soul To Steal!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Soul to Keep, 17 Aug. 2013
This review is from: My Soul to Keep (Soul Screamers - Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
Rachel Vincent is upping the game every time with this series. Every book I've read has been better than the previous book, so I've got high hopes for the rest of the series. After everything that Kaylee, Nash and Tod have been through in the first two books I honestly didn't think things could get any worse for them. Boy, was I wrong.

Kaylee had a lot on her plate in this book. With the fact that 'demon breath' had made its way into the human world and people from her school were taking it to get high. Her best friend and her cousin dating guys who were both taking demon breath. And then, on top of that, someone close to her had an addiction to demon breath. So yeah, Kaylee had a lot to deal with in this one.
She was determined to do everything she could to get rid of demon breath from the human world because if humans take in too much of it, it can permanently damage their brains and make them go insane. So Kaylee took it upon herself to try to get rid of it. She was also doing it to protect her best friend who was going out with a guy hooked on demons breath. Kaylee always tries to help people no matter how much danger she puts herself in. She's always looking out for others.

At the start, Nash was his usual loving and caring self. But gradually, throughout the book, he started to kind of act like a jerk and sometimes he was a real ass. As I was going through the book, I was getting angrier and angrier with him. And then something happened that made me dislike him in this one. He'd completely changed from who he was in the first two books, and I really didn't like him in this one. He deserved everything he got in the end, he probably deserved worse actually.

I loved Tod so much. Tod is always looking out for Kaylee. He may not be her boyfriend, but it's clear that Tod cares about Kaylee a lot and doesn't want to see her get hurt. He stuck by Kaylee in this one and also stood by her. He's a brilliant friend. Tod had his own stuff going on in this one too after what happened in the previous book. He was coming to terms with that and dealing in his own way.

Yet again, there was so much packed into this novel. With the demons breath being introduced into the human world; Kaylee having trust issues with someone close to her and the fact that Avari (a hellion in the Netherworld) had something up his sleeve that involved the schools Winter Carnival, there was definitely a lot to keep me interested. I'm definitely sure we haven't seen the last of Avari, he'll have something else up his sleeve.

Overall, this was yet again another fantastic sequel! I can't wait to get my hands on the rest of the series!

4.0 out of 5 stars Game changer, 4 Oct. 2012
Michelle Cardozo (Wokingham, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This book was the game changer for me in this series. I really liked the first book in the series and was excited to read more. But I felt like the second book in the series was too similar to the first. I thought that perhaps this series would end up being churned out in a format with minor changes here and there. My Soul to Keep was the book that convinced me that this series is different. That these characters are actually real and that things are definitely not always going to turn out okay or follow a plan.

I was a little surprised to find that the plot of this book is common knowledge ... Nash becomes addicted to demon's breath. Only the reader (and Kaylee) doesn't find that out until late into the game. I don't like such spoiler summaries! But even knowing the main idea of this book, I'm pretty sure that you'll find enough surprises and twists and heartbreak that go along with knowing what has happened to Nash. The journey from Nash as Kaylee's hot banshee boyfriend into a demon's breath addict is a journey worth taking and it changes everything!

I love this series so entirely! I love the characters and the banshee/reaper/demon interactions. I really enjoying solving these mysteries and finding out who/what is killing teenagers and then the fun part of watching Kaylee and her group figure out how to stop whatever it is. But what really appeals to me is how emotional I feel reading Kaylee's story. I'm so emotionally connected to her so that when her romantic life is falling apart, it feels like my heart is being destroyed as well!

4.0 out of 5 stars An emotional ride., 26 July 2012
My Soul to Keep is the third instalment in the Soul Screamers series. I stopped reading this series after book 2 as I wasn't too keen on it but after receiving book 6 to review, I gave the series another chance. My Soul to Keep is a good book but it had its flaws and I'll get into that more in a moment. I enjoyed this book and returning to the characters that I loved. Vincent has a gift at making well fleshed out and loveable characters. Her Shifters series is one of my favourite all-time series and that just proves her awesomeness.

My Soul to Keep joins Kaylee as she realises that a substance from the Netherworld has made it into the real world. What makes it worse is that two of Nash's friends are already hooked. It's fatal to normal humans and Kaylee has to put a stop to it before something bad happens. She needs to find the supplier and stop him shipping Demon's Breath from the Netherworld before the whole school is hooked. What's even worse is someone close to Kaylee is hooked but is hiding it from them all. My Soul to Keep is full of heartbreak and betrayal that leaves the reader hooked from start until finish.

I love the characters in the Soul Screamers series, well most of them. Kaylee is a great heroine who grows in each book; she's strong willed and will always try to save those close to her from harm, no matter what the consequences. We see Kaylee react to heartbreak and betrayal and it was done so perfectly that my heart broke along with hers. Kaylee is one of my favourite heroines, and I enjoy reading about her. Nash on the other hand, I really cannot stand. I never have liked him and this book just hit that ball out of the park. He's an ass. He so pushy and wants to get whatever he wants. He says he loves Kaylee then goes and betrays her so badly. I just want to punch him in the face. I don't like him at all. Vincent must be doing something right to make me hate a character so much. Tod, ah, I love Tod, the reaper. He's so different to his brother, he's funny, laid back but also very protective of Kaylee and I love that. He cares for her so much more than Nash. The only problem I had is that there wasn't enough Tod in this book, I wanted more Tod! Emma the best friend is also great, she knows Kaylee is different but she doesn't judge her and she sticks by her side.

Ok, I shall now talk about the things that I didn't like. Well I think it's just one major one. Ok the beginning of this book dragged so much. In the synopsis of my copy it tells the reader that Nash is addicted to Demons Breath, yes ok. Well in the book we didn't actually find out until about 200 pages in. Hmm, that's one hell of a long wait to learn something that was on the back of the book. I was eagerly awaiting the moment when Kaylee would confront Nash but it was so far in the book that it lost the momentum that I wanted. The beginning was just too long, it could easily have been cut down but quite a bit. Despite this the last third of the book was the best part, which was where the action, heartbreak and betrayal came in full swing. That was where the reader was really gripped and didn't want to put the book down. The ending makes up for the long dragging beginning, but still it annoyed me. I really want to keep reading this series but I keep getting disappointed. I'm going to keep reading though, so keep an eye out for future reviews.

I loved the emotional ride this book took the reader on, I was so glad when Kaylee dumped Nash's ass. He totally deserved it. I think I should insert and evil laugh here. Anyway this book was a quick easy read that I really enjoyed. The characters are the best part of this series. They are so well fleshed out and real that they are like a family to the reader. My Soul to Keep is an enjoyable read that paranormal fans will love. I've already started book 4 so check back for that review!

4.0 out of 5 stars You will keep cheering non-stop!, 8 April 2012
As always Kaylee finds herself in the middle of a calamity: someone is selling black balloons (yep, balloons) to one of the jocks at her school. One of Nash's friends to be more clear.

But, why is a balloon so important, right? The thing is, these black balloons hide a terrible secret: they are full of Demon's Breath which means that someone is bringing them from the Netherworld to make the whole high-school addicted to it... and the first two to fall are Emma and Sophie's boyfriends.

The thing is: who is dealing with Demon's Breath? Who brings it from the Netherworld? Who started this whole thing? And why is Tod missing almost all the time?

Personal opinion:
While I love this book as much as the others I have to say the ending was bittersweet. Why? Well, sorry, you have to read the book to know why but I can say one thing: I didn't see that coming. At all. And it was great to learn that something that happened in the previous book had affected the future of the characters.

Still, despite the fact that the ending left me quite sad it's true that the book was terrific. The twists, the facts and the characters keep developing non-stop. You will cheer for you favorite character, you will smile but above all you will try to keep your hopes up.

I can't honestly wait to read the next one and get as many answers as I can. What will happen next? That's my biggest question right now.

If you want to know the answer buy the books and read them ASAP!^^

5.0 out of 5 stars Soul Screamers book 3, 12 Jan. 2012
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have been really loving the Soul Screamers series but I have to say this was my favourite book so far. My only major complaint would be the blurb on the UK cover which gives a major spoiler and takes away the surprise of one of the major twists that isn't actually revealed until nearly the end of the book. I think I'd have enjoyed the story even more if I hadn't read the blurb so I'm not going to read the back of any other books in the series just in case it happens again! Despite the spoiler I still really loved My Soul to Keep and would highly recommend this entire series to fans of YA urban fantasy.

The story picks up about a month after My Soul to Save finishes and Kaylee has finally been given her freedom back after a month of house arrest (her punishment for her actions in the last book). She attends a party with Nash and is horrified when she catches the scent of demon's breath on one of their friends. The dangerous Netherworld drug shouldn't even be in the human realm and is highly addictive and dangerous to humans. It is up to Kaylee and Nash to find out how their friends got hold of it and try and find a way to stop them from continuing to take it.

Things have never been particularly easy for Kaylee but they take a turn for the worse in My Soul to Keep. Her relationship with Nash is going downhill fast and she feels pressured to take things further than she feels ready to. I was impressed that although she loves Nash she refuses to give into his demands and think it gives a really strong message to teenagers not to give into peer pressure. There is also a strong message about the dangers of drugs, obviously demon's breath isn't really available but a lot of the symptoms and problems it cause are the same as those caused by illegal drugs that we've all heard of. Hopefully it will make teens think before they are talked into trying something they'll probably regret. Although there are positive messages within the story it doesn't come across as preachy though which is a good thing.

I have always been a massive fan of Nash but I have to admit there were several times that I wanted to shake him while I was reading this book. It is going to take quite a bit for him to redeem himself in my eyes and I'll be interested to see if he does it or not. On the other hand I found myself liking Tod more than ever this time around which was surprising after his actions in the last book. I do love it when an author can have me completely changing my mind about characters in each book she writes! I'm really curious to find out more about the new character we meet towards the end of the story, I'm not going to mention names for fear of spoilers but it will be really interesting to see what role he has to play in the next book. My Soul to Keep really was a fantastic installment to one of my favourite YA series and I can't wait to find out what happens next!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolitely brilliant!, 25 Nov. 2011
Jo (London, England) - See all my reviews
Oh my god! In my previous reviews of the Soul Screamers series on my blog, I have always said how much I enjoyed them, which was and is true. However, as much as I enjoyed them, I did feel they weren't as exciting as Rachel Vincent's Shifters series, which I was reading at the time. I enjoyed them, but there was no urgent desire to read the next ones, I'd just read them when I read them. During a lull in my reading where I didn't know what I fancied, I decided to pick MSTKeep up. And WOW! I have said I loved the previous books in previous reviews, but that love comes no where near the love I have for this book! Now this is on par with the Shifters series!

Before I continue with my review, there's something I have big issues with. It's not the contents of the book, it's with the outside: the blurb. The best description of the book is one Rachel Vincent's own site. The description on the Amazon US isn't too bad, but on Amazon UK, and on the actual UK edition of the book, there is what I believe to be a major spoiler. I highly suggest that if you plan on reading this book, do not read the back of the UK book or read the description on Amazon UK - which you probably already have done as the description is above. Sorry I couldn't warn you sooner. As you can see from the description on Rachel Vincent's site, you're told enough. There is an extra detail that is on the UK blurb that is simply not needed, and without, would have made a major part of the book that much better for me if I didn't already know it was coming. It is such a big deal to the whole story of the book, and in one sentence in the blurb, they've taken the shock and surprise away from you. It's not fair, and it's really frustrating. Rant over.

Oh, my love for this book knows no bounds! It's creepy! Really! I actually found myself getting fairly freaked out at some points in the book. I am anti-drugs with a passion, and so this book really played to that side of me, and although Demon's Breath doesn't actually exist, the things it did and just how dangerous it was scared me on a normal, real-life level - this drug may not exist, but drugs are dangerous, and the effects they have on people... it scares me! But add on top of that the creepy urban fantasy element, and it's really warped.

What I absolutely loved, though, was how, unbelievably, the fact that Kaylee's school friends are getting high off a Netherworld narcotic ends up seeming so... almost trivial when other events unfold. And they just keep on and on unfolding, until you're on the verge of a heart attack with all the tension and anxiety for these characters and all the stuff that happens. But it's all genius! And the action! It is literally one of those moments when you can't see any good outcome, or any way out of the trouble their in. It's serious edge-of-your-seat, nail biting excitement! And I am liking Tod. I have previously been all about Nash, but I'm changing my mind. Tod, for all his jokes and annoying behaviour, he's actually a really nice guy, and when lives are in danger, or people are being treated badly, he steps up to the plate and he really surprised and impressed me. He's really cool!

Vincent is one of those authors whose mind I'd quite like to take a tour of, because just how she manages to write stories like this that flow so seemlessly and so believably I'll never know. I am just left in complete and utter awe! Incredible book! This is a brilliant, brilliant story, and I've already started the fourth book in the series, My Soul to Steal. If the series carries on like this, I believe I've just found myself another favourite series! Oh, how I love Rachel Vincent!

4.0 out of 5 stars 3rd in the Soul Screamers series- best so far!, 31 May 2011
So I finished my next Soul Screamers fix with this book, becoming completely addicted again, and having to keep going until the end of the book. I think this was the best book in the series so far, feeling so much more emotional, and emotionally draining. The storyline flowed better, it was slightly darker than before, and there was more going on.

The characters in this book are more developed as well- we have steadfast Kaylee, who again proves her selfless determination to help her classmates, and even those ones that she can't stand like the arrogant wealthy football players, placing herself in harms way at times to try to protect them from the toxic Netherworld substance "Demons Breath" that they are taking like recreational drugs. Kaylee sets herself on a new mission to find out where they are getting it from and stop the supplier before it goes too far. Kaylee has always been strong and determined, but lacks confidence and has never believed herself quite good enough. I like her moral fibre, and her insecurity makes her very relateable.

Then we have Tod, who is still my favourite character in this series- always trying to protect Kaylee, Emma and even Addison who he has never given up trying to save. Tod clearly cares a lot about Kaylee, and his protectiveness over her is very endearing to read. He drops everything and calls in favours in order to help her, risking his job and his existence. He even punches Nash in the face over the way he treated Kaylee (I cheered), but also frequently intervenes to try to help when he thinks Emma might be in trouble, and unwaveringly always does what he thinks is the right thing to do.

Nash (who for the record I have never really liked, as I've always felt the only reason he wanted to date Kaylee was because they were both bean sidhes) begins to get involved with Demons Breath, and it changes him. Nash shows a secretive conniving side more in this book, telling Kaylee lies, using his power of Influence against her, and ultimately breaking her heart. I hope that Kaylee won't go crawling back to Nash just because he is the popular football player and such a catch(!), but I think that her experiences will make her even more of a kick-ass character.

This book sees Kaylee once again forced to make a trip into the Netherworld, and facing off with the demon hellion Avari (who is so nasty and creepy he makes my skin crawl), to save her friends and save the day. The book ends on an emotional rollercoaster and I really want book four right now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the next one..., 19 Jun. 2010
~Jenny~ (North East, ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
I'm one of the many millions of people is the world with dyslexia, so please forgive me for any spelling, grammar etc... mistakes I might make. ' After reading the Twilight Saga I went looking for something abit different to read and Came across Rachel's Shifter Series (They are awesome BTW) and since reading them, I came across this series.

My Soul To Keep is the 3rd book in the Soul Screamers series and is about a 16 year old bean sidhe (banshee), Kaylee. When she encounters someone who is about to die Kaylee screams for their soul hence the series name.

The main characters are Kaylee and her Boyfriend Nash who is also a bean sidhe* and His brother Todd who is a reaper. They are several other characters which include her Dad Aiden*, her Uncle Brendon*, Cousin Sophie (who's human), Harmony* Nash's Mother, Doug and Scott who are Nash's friends, also Kaylee's best friend Emma all three are also human.

The book starts off at a party in Nash's friend Scott's house. Emma's boyfriend Doug is coming on abit to strong for Kaylee and Nash's liking, so they go and try to help her out. After breaking them up Doug gets anger and drives off only a few seconds later hits Kaylee car in the process. When they go to make sure he's ok she can smell a deadly substance on his breath that should only be found in the Netherworld and it's called Demon's breath or in the human world Frost. Once Kaylee finds out how dangerous it is to humans and bean sidhe alike, her mission becomes finding out who is responsible and stopping them. During her investigation her world is turned up side down by the betrayal of someone close to her.

I won't give away anymore as I don't want to spoil it. But for me this is a must read. The main characters change so much in this book some for the better and some for the worst, but half way through you understand why they've changed. Most people have criticized the ending, but I really love how it keeps you on the edge of you seat wanting more. Fingers crossed Rachel's next book will start where this one finished.

The only negative things I can say is, I wish some of the book was writing from Nash's point of view. Once you're read it you should understand why I feel like that. Also that is was easier to get a hold of, as it isn't out in the UK yet.

Can't wait till My Soul to Steal comes out in January 2011.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›