4.0 out of 5 stars Great, if you don't have boobs!, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: Sklz Weighted Vest Variable Weigh Training Vest (Sports)
Length:: 2:08 Mins

We all know that gravity is a breast's worst enemy, but strapping weights on top of them can only compound the gravity problem. It is definitely a bad idea if you want to keep 'em at all perky. As you can see in the video the weights on this vest are located in the "pectoral-area," which is fine for men, but for a woman with any amount of boobage it quickly becomes uncomfortable. I am only a B-cup but after wearing this vest for a few minutes the girls felt very squished and deflated. I don't know what the longterm effects of using this vest might be, but I'm not interested in finding out!

About ten years ago I had a chance to demo a weight vest designed by a woman for women, The Walkvest, which loads the weights around the waist and then tightens them down with a strap so there was no noticeable compression on my breasts. A Weight Belt is another option that might be better for women.

I gave this product four stars because it seems really well-made and easy-to-use, but it should be marketed as a men's product. Perhaps the company could produce a similar vest for women that moves the weights down to waist level allowing women to enjoy the obvious benefits without damaging delicate breast tissue.

I always find it helpful when I can watch a video review showing a product in use - it oftentimes helps me to understand the product better than I can from the manufacturer's written description. I've been inspired by the great video reviews I've seen on Amazon, so I hope my video review helps you in a similar way.

Take care,
Claire

PS - It always makes my day to know that people find these reviews helpful. If you'd also like to ask a question or leave a comment I usually respond the same day, so if you have a question or comment (even if it's just to say, Hi!") feel free to post it below.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for running/plyometric training too!, 10 Oct 2012
Though there are more expensive vests out there, I found this vest to be of really good quality for the price you pay for it. I'd say it's well worth your money.

It all depends of course what you're going to use it for. If your main focus is on strength, you may not want to buy this product as it's maximum load is only 10lbs (5kg). There are other vests out there that can take much more load (even up to 50lbs) which are good for doing pull-ups, push-ups, dips, squats and other strength exercises.

However, if you wish to run with a vest or do some plyometric exercises involving lots of jumping, then this vest would be a better option. I just took it out of the box and tried the 'bounce test'. Unlike the other weighted vests I tried out before, this vest doesn't bob up and down whilst jumping. In my opinion this vest would suit runners quite well as it doesn't take too much load, feels very comfortable on the shoulders, has a breathable mesh all around, doesn't ride on the stomach, and most importantly does not bob up and down.

Another plus I've found with this vest is that it suits people of smaller stature. I'm 1.74cm (+/-5'9") and 66kg myself (this is small for a Dutch person believe me) and the vest fits me quite well, whereas previous weighted vests were much too big. The velcro straps around the chest really make sure the vest fits as tight as you want it to be. In my case there is ample velcro left to fit even smaller persons, so I'd say it'd make a pretty good unisex weighted vest.

Though I mentioned the max load is 5kg, the weight is variable according to how many 250g pouches you insert in the vest. These are inserted on the INSIDE rather than the outside of the vest, which in my opinion is a clever design as there's a smaller chance of them falling out that way. There are 20 weights in total, consisting of what feels like small metal strips wrapped in a softer material so it doesn't feel uncomfortable when wearing the vest. In my opinion, having a large number of weight pouches is another advantage of the vest as you can really fine tune the weight you wish to train with.

Overall, I'd give this vest 5 stars out of 5, but I have to mention this is based on my first impressions as I still need to take it on a 'test run'. Look for an update of this review soon as I'll report back whether it's as good for running/plyometric training as I think it is. I'll also ask my girlfriend to run in it too to see whether it really can be used as a unisex weighted vest.

EDIT 16 Oct 2012:
Yes, I can now confirm the vest doesn't bounce when you run in it. I can also confirm that the vest can be worn by small(er) women too as the vest fitted my girlfriend (1.62cm/5'3") perfectly and no signs of bobbing up and down whilst running.

One note of caution: do not wear it over your best running shirt when you wear it the first time. The sweat you work up in the vest (despite the breathable mesh) makes the black colour of the vest run down on your shirt. This only happened the first time I wore it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Sklz Weighted Vest Variable Weigh Training Vest (Sports)
The description of the vest is reliable. Easily adjustable weights. Exactly what I was looking. Nice quality. easy to wash.

5.0 out of 5 stars great bit of kit, 29 May 2013
J. M. Morse - See all my reviews
Wanted to get weight vest for some time but didnt want one that was too long (im 5'7") this seemed to fit the bill.

its excellent i run step sprints once week and this add enough weight to make it more challenging, its snug, comfortable and moulds nicely thanks to the flexible weights, just the right length and doesn't move too much

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome piece of kit., 30 Dec 2012
Fits very well and doesn't bounce or slip. Love the fact that you can add or remove weights to suit progressive training. Word of caution for newbies to running with weighted vests... make sure core is engaged so that you run upright and do not slump. Good form with weights means good results.