5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible value... and far too good for the likes of me

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent compilation brought down by odd choices
Published on 28 May 2011 by erictheb

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent compilation brought down by odd choices, 28 May 2011
This review is from: Monkeemania - The Very Best of The Monkees (Audio CD)
Released in conjunction with the Monkees 45th Anniversary reunion tour, Monkeemania is chock full of Monkees hits, misses, could-have-beens and fan faves. It is very likely that it was compiled in consultation with the Monkees- Davy Jones in particular is my guess-as this compilation more or less features all the tracks on the current tour setlist- including all the songs from the HEAD soundtrack (tho not the kinetic live version of Circle Sky).

Generously totaling 57 tracks on 2 filled CDs, Monkeemania is a decent compilation with crisp mastering- but the poor choices on some tracks/mixes/versions bring it down to 3 stars.

Personally I don't think the bizarre, grating Your Auntie Grizelda deserves placement, with all due respect to Mr Tork. When Love Comes Knockin betrays the hotness of the mastering loudness level on the whole, the treble being quite irritating. A Little Bit Me, is the inferior mono version with too loud clapping. The stereo version with double tracked stereo vocals is preferable but rare- it's on the That Was Then... Arista compilaton CD. She Hangs Out is the lame deleted mono B-side version, not the funky, punchy Pisces re-make. Jones sounds like he's sleepwalking thru the vocals- I dont care about the historical import in the Nesmith-Kirshner War. All of Your Toys is also an inferior mono mix with the bad edit on the break. There are at least 2 excellent stereo mixes available.

Someone's fondness for the mono single mixes keeps the otherwise dynamic Pleasant Valley Sunday, a song that demands a stereo panorama, grounded. Yet high-charting B-side Words is thankfully in stereo. Ill Be Back Upon My Feet is the ill-conceived, poorly realized, Birds, Bees version- trading in the sheer pop joy of the mono original seen on the TV series numerous times for a bizarre cha-cha bossa nova with too busy horns. Was there ever a stereo mix of the original version? That would be something!

Cosmic country rocker Tapioca Tundra- a Top 40 hit as a B-side (!)- is the version with Nesmith's vocals buried in the mix- a shame. The same fate befalls As We Go Along- Dolenz's ethereal vocals are way too low. These may be the original mixes, but they aren't the preferred ones.

The addition of Daddy's Song may well be the clue that Jones had a hand in the tracklist. A vaudeville/music hall pastiche from the HEAD soundtrack, with a dark storyline a la Nilssons other contribution here, the preferable and far more attractive Cuddly Toy, this is one Nilsson too many.

The final 9 tracks or so are from the post-Tork period. Retreads, attempts at MOR, and Nesmith country rock. Interesting stuff, not necessarily bad, but commercially floundering, punching at the air and grabbing at straws. The Monkees had lost their way.

Overall though a fascinating run through a very diverse catalog.

So what songs would I have added instead? Ill Spend My Life With You from Headquarters, Love To Love from the last Kirshner sessions, You and I with Neil Young on guitar, Dont Call On Me from Pisces, Missing Links Series' Nine Times Blue, Riu Chiu, and She'll Be There (demo w Coco Dolenz) are all sublime, and how about You and I from JUSTUS?. Just to name a few.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible value... and far too good for the likes of me, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: Monkeemania - The Very Best of The Monkees (Audio CD)
Generally speaking, when it comes to choosing any sort of product when there are umpteen similar products all simultaneously vying for my attention, I'm afraid I do tend to panic just a smidgen. I nearly fainted clean away when I saw how many 'Monkees' compilations there were available here on Amazon. I wasn't looking for anything definitive - what I wanted was 'D.W. Washburn': nothing more, nothing less. Oh yeh... and I wasn't overly keen on spending too much on it either.

As it happens, for all the gazillions of 'Monkees' albums, surprisingly few of them seem to feature that song. Since this one does (and since it was remarkably good value (a fiver) AND since it came complete with the accompanying MP3 download to the Amazon Cloud), it was this one that came my way.

It contains 57 songs, on two discs. If we were talking about sweets, crisps or doughnuts, I would unequivocally champion the notion that you can never, ever, have too much of a good thing. In the case of this product though, I fear that the vast majority of those songs are destined to be perennially passed over by me on my way to the likes of 'Daydream Believer', 'Good Clean Fun', 'Tapioca Tundra and, of course, the wonderful 'D.W.Washburn'. That's a tragic waste.

Ironically enough, that's probably because I didn't pay very much for it. There's really no incentive for me to play this to death in order to justify the outlay of a fiver. I can instead just flit between the merest handful of my favourite tracks. I've got maybe twelve that I listen to frequently; the rest hold very little appeal for me. Which is no insult to them - more, it highlights a complete lack of self-control, some quite spectacular ignorance and, quite possibly, some questionable musical tastes on my part. It's me who is at fault here, not the 'Monkees'.

Well no, it's them too. After all, if they hadn't made things like '(Theme From) The Monkees' and 'Daydream Believer', songs that practically scream 'play me loud - and play me over and over again while you're about it' then I wouldn't find myself having to regularly derail the good intentions of both of these discs.

What an exercise in sheer self-indulgence it would be to be able to sit down regularly and listen to all 57 songs all the way through. Knowing how fond I am of the fast forward and rewind buttons, I would doubtless need to be bound securely first before that could happen. A casual observer on the scene would probably think I was being tortured by the 'Monkees', but nothing would be further from the truth.

I get maximum 'Monkee' pleasure with the assistance of a set of headphones. I bow to previous reviewers' infinitely superior knowledge when it comes to the musical arrangement and studio recording of the songs found on here: all I can tell you is that the stereo sound of things like 'Good Clean Fun' gives my ears a particularly pleasant workout. As for 'D.W. Washburn', the song that started my rather frustrating experiences in the company of this product in the first place, well... that is a stereophonic experience direct from heaven.

This is a top quality product which was ridiculously good value. Unfortunately, I am a poor quality listener and this product makes me feel thoroughly inadequate. Still, it undeniably deserves every star I can award it - if for no other reason than the fact that it is now eternally stuck with me.

4.0 out of 5 stars monkees review, 3 Mar 2012
This review is from: Monkeemania - The Very Best of The Monkees (Audio CD)
This album is brilliant it takes me right back to my childhood when I watched them on TV a blast from the past.

5.0 out of 5 stars Monkeemania, 14 Sep 2011
This review is from: Monkeemania - The Very Best of The Monkees (Audio CD)
Absolutely fabulous. Kept hearing the Monkees and never bought a record at the time so no wI anf the kids can Be a believer whenever we want or whenever the sun comes out !

Delivered quickly too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Monkee mania is back!!!, 24 Jun 2011
Mrs. S. Kearsey "worthngite" (west sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monkeemania - The Very Best of The Monkees (Audio CD)
I grew up with the Monkees and this reminds me of my 'youth'. there are a few songs I have never heard of before but the well known ones are all here. Great for singing along to in the car on the way to work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Monkee Nostalgia, 16 Aug 2011
This review is from: Monkeemania - The Very Best of The Monkees (Audio CD)
Ordered this to coincide with a Monkees book I received as a gift. It was nice to read how the songs were put together and then listen to the finished tracks. Shame Sky don't show re-runs again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome !, 21 May 2014
This review is from: Monkeemania - The Very Best of The Monkees (Audio CD)
Pure nostalgia and brings back fond childhood memories of a top tv show . A true favourite !
Great service !

3.0 out of 5 stars A Blast From The Past, 4 Jan 2014
D. C. L. Ford "Technomancer" (Broadstairs, U.K.) - See all my reviews
I grew up with this sort of music. Getting this album is a blast from the past, a trip down memory lane.

5.0 out of 5 stars Monkee Cd, 4 Jan 2014
Great songs. Really enjoyed listening to the music. excellent cd. Brings back memories of when I was a teenager again

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Monkees, 11 Oct 2013
Great never ageing songs. Good listening. If you were around the when the Monkees first appeared on the scene you will reminisce with pride and great joy at how these songs have survived the passage of time in comparison to some of the sixties songs and performers.

Monkeemania - The Very Best of The Monkees
Monkeemania - The Very Best of The Monkees by Monkees (Audio CD - 2011)
Click for more info