5.0 out of 5 stars Light hearted funny read with an adorable male lead
Published 2 months ago by Joanne

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute love story
Remember the time when the internet was just making its appearance in the workplace and employers feared we'd all be shopping, chatting and surfing if they allowed it into their offices? I certainly do and this book is a great reminder of that.

Published on 1 April 2011 by Moonless

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute love story, 1 April 2011
Moonless (London Town) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Attachments (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

It's 1999 and the World Wide Web is resolutely yet inexorably making its way into mainstream life. The Courier is a local newspaper in small town Nebraska and Lincoln has been recruited to stop any abuse and time wasting from happening. Lincoln works the nightshift and it's his job to read any emails which could be breaking the rules, and to send warnings to employees. This is pretty amusing as Lincoln has to read emails which have been flagged up for containing, for example, supervisors' names, nasty words and words like `classified', which causes chaos in the classified ads department.

Lincoln is diligent but then he gets drawn in by the email conversations between two female friends, and before he knows it, has fallen for one of them. While he battles with himself over the ethics of what he is doing, he can't help himself as he is drawn deeper in.

The story and plot keep you reading but there are some drawbacks here. The email format between the two female colleagues is very hard to follow at times. I often had to refer back to see who was who and it got very confusing. It also ruined the flow of the book. Nor can I believe that two people would write pages and pages of email rather than chatting over a coffee. However, the premise of the book would not work without this, so I tried not to dwell too much on it! The story starts off well but chugs along for a bit before picking up again. I would say to stick with it. It is an easy, fun read. Lincoln is a likeable character, as are the two friends, Beth and Jennifer. It's a cute love story and aside from that, just the references to the internet (`The worst thing about the internet was that it was now impossible to distinguish a room full of people working diligently from a room full of people taking the `What Kind of Dog Am I?' quiz') are funny and maybe a prophecy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Light hearted funny read with an adorable male lead, 30 Sep 2014
This review is from: Attachments (Paperback)
Attachments is the story of Lincoln, who works nights at The Courier newspaper as an internet security guy monitoring the company emails. He begins to read the emails between two co-workers Beth and Jennifer as they share their ups and downs with each other. Slowly Lincoln begins to have feelings for one of the girls and begins to feel uneasy about his job. Will Lincoln have the courage to embrace his feelings and find out if you can fall in love before first sight?
This book alternates in chapters between Lincoln’s story and the email dialogue between Beth and Jennifer, at first I wasn’t sure if I would like this but it worked really well. You get to know Beth and Jennifer without actually meeting them. It highlighted really well they way that Lincoln almost meets his girl on more than one occasion and that he’s not the only one who has been admiring from afar, as he gets nick named “my cute guy” by one of the girls which made this story for me really adorable.
I loved Lincoln as a character, he was just so cute the way he fell for the real girl and not just her looks. He just appeared to be an all-round nice guy that had got himself stuck in a rut and needed a little inspiration to find his way out. I really enjoyed the way he handled his mother, you could tell he became frustrated with her sometimes but he was never disrespectful, he just gently ignored her and carried on. His growing friendship with Doris the cleaner was also really cute and just made me want to hug him.
It was really refreshing to read a romantic tale from the male perspective as this is very rare in books, especially chick-lit type books (not that this is full on chick-lit) and think it is something which should be done more.
I loved this book and will definitely be reading more from Rainbow Rowell even though the majority of her work is Young Adult fiction which I don’t read much of. I recommend this to anyone who wants a light hearted funny read with a very adorable male lead that will just make you feel warm and cosy inside.
Rating 5/5

4.0 out of 5 stars Rainbow Rowell's first adult book - and it's from a male perspective - and I loved it, 5 Sep 2014
This review is from: Attachments (Paperback)
I finished this book a while ago but forgot to write up a review so my thoughts will be a couple of months old and I may miss some important points I noted at the time but I'll try my best!

Firstly, Attachments is Rainbow Rowell's first adult fiction novel and it's from the perspective of a man. That being said, I didn't think I would connect with it as well as I did. It's 1999 and Lincoln has just bagged himself a job at a newspaper office, monitoring the staff's emails and reporting any he found to be breaking the rules. Beth and Jennifer are two members of staff who constantly break the rules when emailing one another at work. They discuss absolutely everything together, including family, relationship and health issues, unaware that Lincoln is reading each exchange and slowly falling in love with one of them.

I wouldn't describe Attachments as a romance, as the love interest doesn't exactly happen until the end. The book is mostly about Lincoln's growing independence and his battle between living with his mother and wanting to move out on his own. It's also a portrait of a beautiful and honest friendship between the two women - which may have been one of my favourite aspects of the book. I've said it before and I'll say it again - Rainbow Rowell is a genius. Her writing is incredible and I feel so comfortable and comforted when reading her books, Attachments was no different. I would highly recommend reading Attachments, along with Rainbow Rowell's other books and I'd love to hear your thoughts on this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really great read, 4 Dec 2014
This review is from: Attachments (Paperback)
I have really come to be a fan of Rainbow Rowell and have now read all of her books, this was the last one I managed to find, which is ironic as it's actually her first novel.

Lincoln's life is far from perfect, the only girl he ever loved left him in college/uni, he lives at home with his mum and spends his nights sitting in an office reading other people's emails. It's not exactly hard work or challenging. Finding ways to pass the time is about as hard as it gets.

Then he finds an email conversation between Jennifer and Beth, it's been flagged up as they are discussing things that aren't to do with work, but for some reason Lincoln doesn't report them, instead he ends up reading their conversations and even looking forward to the next time he will see one. But by the time he realises that he is falling in love with Beth it's too late - he can't confess he has broken her privacy and trust before he even met her. It would make him look like a total creep.

I wasn't sure about this book to start, it seemed a bit slow and i wasn't sure where it was going, Lincoln seemed rather pathetic and whiny which irritated me a bit. I can't stand people that moan about their lives but do nothing to change it, but as the book progresses and you learn more about his past and see him adapt and become a new person I found myself reading more and more in the hope he would get a happy ending.

I also really enjoyed reading the girls email conversations - I can see why Lincoln was intrigued. They were witty and funny but also sometimes really meaningful and made you feel for the characters.

Rainbow tackled what is actually quite a sensitive subject here and presented it very well. I loved how well the storyline flows and develops and how the characters are so relateable.

It's not my favourite by her, but it is definitely a very good read and I would definitely call myself a fan. I look forward to seeing more from her, eagerly awaiting the next book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Everybody seems to love Rainbow Rowell right now, 20 Sep 2014
Lucybird (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Attachments (Kindle Edition)
Everybody seems to love Rainbow Rowell right now. I was intrigued to see what was so special about her. Even people who don’t normally review YA seemed to love her, so I thought there must be something. I went for Attachments because it’s her adult novel. I thought it would be the most…sophisticated, I guess.

I did I suppose expect chick-lit, it sounds like chick-lit. It’s probably the category that Attachments most easily fits into. The style is a little different though. For one thing the main focus is probably Lincoln, where it would usually be a woman in chick-lit. There was a strong focus on Jennifer too, but maybe a little less than to Lincoln. We mainly saw her through her e-mails, we knew a little more about her than Lincoln did, but mainly we knew her as Lincoln did.

I’m not sure why more chick-lit isn’t written like this- with the reader seeing how the man thinks and feels. Surely he can be more attractive if you can see what he is really like? How much he loves his leading lady? With Lincoln it seems even better because he doesn’t know what Jennifer looks like. He falls in love with her personality, before he become physically attracted to her.

In terms of chick-lit it’s very good. Cute. You feel you really get to know the characters, you can see why Lincoln loves Jennifer, and you can love Lincoln himself. Plus there is a very everyday type feel to it. No real dramatic romantic moments, just real life. No perfect, a few pitfalls. Real.

I like the kindle cover, by the way, it’s like one of those magic eye pictures.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!, 30 Aug 2014
Ms. D. M. Harding-hubbard "Dayna!!" (Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Attachments (Paperback)
*sighs happily* I could just go right back to the beginning and read this all over again. If books were types of hugs, this would be a great big cuddly, cozy, bear hug! I truly loved it. I felt the ending was a little rushed but it didn't make me love it any less. It's funny and romantic and oh so nostalgic. It was set around the turn of the 21st century, I would have been 16 then, so it really took me back to those days. It had me on edge not knowing whether Lincoln, the IT security guy who has to read all the emails that have been flagged, and Beth, the movie reviews reporter, would ever end up together; Whether he would ever come clean or even *how* he would come clean. - How on earth was he going to tell Beth he'd fallen in love with her from reading her's and Jennifer's emails to one another? Admittedly, it does sound shifty but, come on, it's kinda romantic! I loved Rainbow's writing style for Beth and Jennifer and the fact their conversations were set out just like emails. Their characters were such a hoot. It felt like they were your best friends, too. They were funny and chatty and when they were going through bad times you wanted to be there for them and help them through it or put the world to rights with them or insult all of man kind and have a boyfriend bonfire (yeah I'm totally channelling Phoebe, Rachel and Monica from Friends right now) when they're having guy problems. They really had me laughing at times - actually a lot of the time - and reminded me so much of me and my best friend. I had to chuckle when Beth revealed to Jennifer that she was following *cough* stalker *cough* Lincoln - aka "my cute guy" - around because she fancied him. Finding out that she's done that, really had me rooting for her and Lincoln. And I thought surely, because she fancied him so much so she had the overwhelming urge to follow him around, that it was destiny, they HAVE to be together and she would just HAVE to forgive him for his not-so-traditional way of falling for her seeing as, ya know, she'd been stalking him and all! I wanted them to get together so bad. There was one point, near to the end, where I felt so deflated and sad because I really didn't think this was going to happen. My boyfriend even asked me what was wrong. When I told him why, his response was, "it's just a book". Now, isn't that the typical response given by someone who doesn't read?! *sigh* They just don't "get it". By the time I'd got to the last page I had this massive smile on my face. I loved it! Loved it! Loved it! I know some have said how unrealistic the outcome of Lincoln and Beth was but, hey, that's fiction for ya!

3.0 out of 5 stars Having listed Fangirl as one of my favourite books of 2014, 2 Aug 2014
Elena Morris (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Attachments (Kindle Edition)
Having listed Fangirl as one of my favourite books of 2014, and enjoying Eleanor and Park, I decided to read Attachments by Rainbow Rowell. I got it out of the library because I am s-k-i-n-t this month (don’t authors get something like 17p for each library issue? Better than a slap in the belly with a wet fish) and read it within 24 hours.

Plot & characters

So the basic premise is that Lincoln has been hired by a newspaper to monitor the use of internet by his colleagues. This involves reading emails and letting people know that they can’t use company emails for personal chat. It starts very innocently with him reading an exchange between two women called Beth and Jennifer, and deciding not to send them a warning. But then, he keeps on reading and discovers that he might have developed feelings for a woman he has never met, but knows all about.

The storyline was certainly compelling. I kept reading because I wanted to find out what happened, and I really enjoyed the twist on a dual narrative. In 1999 I was 10, so it was interesting to read about this time from an adult perspective.

As far as the characters go, I didn’t feel connected at all to Beth or Jennifer. I couldn’t really tell them apart except when they talked about their significant others, and so for me Lincoln was the be-all and end-all of the story. I loved reading about the journey he went through and the battle to get away from the comfort of his family home, combined with the desire to stay safe and secure forever. Lincoln is a very anxious person. His social anxiety is very relatable and really human. It’s not forced at all. However, I just can’t get over the creeper aspect. Sure, he seems like a nice enough guy, and he obviously feels tremendous guilt over the whole situation, but that kind of thing just wasn’t done in the early days of the internet. It wasn’t as acceptable as ‘Facebook stalking’ (which of course I do, but I feel creepy about it), and is the equivalent now of logging into someone’s account and reading their private messages. He knows things about these women that they are not aware he knows; really personal things that I’m sure they didn’t want anyone else to know about.

Getting over that for a moment, I also find it a little difficult to believe that both Lincoln and the eventual love interest just happen to be classically good looking. I did give the book a ‘really?’ look when I got to those parts. For me, it’s important to note that the cast is seemingly made up of straight white characters. This is not a diverse book.

The plot certainly grabbed me though, and Rowell has an astonishing gift for reeling in the reader. She is incredibly talented at making the reader invest in the characters, and I have never read a book of hers in a time period over about 20 hours, because I am just that desperate to find out what happens.

Writing

Rowell is obviously a very talented and experienced writer. She knows her craft very well, and I did enjoy the writing style. It’s so difficult to get banter right and she absolutely nailed it.

Jennifer to Beth: Ech. I don’t like Tom Cruise.
Beth to Jennifer: Me neither. But I usually like Tom Cruise movies.
Jennifer to Beth: Me too… Huh, maybe I do like Tom Cruise. But I hate feeling pressured to find him attractive. I don’t.
Beth to Jennifer: Nobody does. It’s a lie perpetuated by the American media. Tom Cruise and Julia Roberts.
Jennifer to Beth: Men don’t like Julia Roberts?
Beth to Jennifer: Nope. Her teeth scare them.
Jennifer to Beth: Good to know.

There were a lot of laugh-out-loud moments and a lot of quotable lines, and there were never any moments where I became aware I was reading a book. For me, that’s the marker: if I can totally forget I’m reading a book and just lose myself in the story.

If you liked… you’ll like this

Adult fiction: Rachel’s Holiday by Marian Keyes, Billy and Me by Giovanna Fletcher
YA: Geek Girl by Holly Smale, Adorkable by Sarra Manning

Trigger warnings

Potential glamourisation of stalking and voyeurism (although it is somewhat resolved).

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Attachments (Kindle Edition)
*I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Penguin Group Plume and NetGalley*

Lincoln is an internet security officer at a newspaper. His job is to read flagged email and he hates it. But one perk are the funny personal emails that Beth and Jennifer send to each other.

It took me a while to get into this book and to warm to the characters. Lincoln was an okay character and I enjoyed reading as he grew as a person.
My favourite parts were the emails between Beth and Jennifer. I liked their relationship.
The book didn't really grip me and the plot was slightly predictable.
In a way I did like the ending but in another way I didn't as I thought it might have been good if Lincoln had ended up with someone else.

Overall this was a good read but after all the hype about the author I was slightly disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good debut, 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: Attachments (Paperback)
After enjoying Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell, I thought it was about time to check out her debut novel, Attachments. I enjoyed Attachments, but to me, it's clear Rainbow Rowell's writing has got better book by book, which makes me very excited to read Fangirl.

Attachments is based in 1999 when the internet was beginning to come into the work place. I wasn't working at that time (I was at school) but I can remember the uproar it caused. It's funny, because now I don't know what we'd do without the internet! The plot surrounds a local newspaper, The Courier which is in the small town of Nebraska. Lincoln is recruited to stop any abuse and time wasting on the internet happening. Its his job to read the emails that the employees are sending and send warnings to those that are time-wasting. Lincoln starts to read email conversations between two female friends. He finds himself falling for one of the women. He starts to question the ethics of what he's doing. He is reading incredibly personal conversations but he just can't help himself as he is drawn deeper and deeper into their lives.

I was completely engrossed in the story. I have read that some readers felt the email conversations stilted the flow of the book, but I personally really enjoyed reading them. They did feel more like instant message conversations rather than emails, but they were still enjoyable and humorous.

I liked the main characters and I thought the love story was incredibly sweet. Attachments did feel a tad slow in places, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart warming and humorous, 20 Jun 2011
A. L. Rutter "Floor to Ceiling Books" (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Attachments (Hardcover)
Attachments is set in a newspaper office, just before Y2K hits, in smalltown USA. The Internet is still a novelty and two members of staff - Beth and Jennifer - spend time sending emails back and forth. Clinton is the Internet security officer hired to ensure that staff aren't abusing the new email/Internet privileges, and find himself drawn into reading their emails each night. He learns about every aspect of their lives, from the musician boyfriend of one to the pregnancy woes of the other. Before he realises, Clinton is falling in love.... but how can he possibly tell this girl why he knows so much about her? Is there any chance she could ever forgive him? And does she believe in love before first sight?

This is a perfect chick lit book - it is humorous (and I do mean laugh-out-loud at some points), it is very sweet and it is wise about the ways of love and relationships. I found myself entirely bowled over by Attachments and read it in one sitting.

Part of the reason for this is the delightful format that Rainbow Rowell uses. I've seen the email plot device in other stories, but here the conversations between Beth and Jennifer are interspersed by third person encounters with Clinton, and all the areas of his life. Because of this, it felt both immediate and very intimate.

Clinton himself is a *wonderful* character, and shows tremendous growth through the course of the novel. Usually we see our leading ladies develop into meaningful human beings in chick lit books, but here it was all about Clinton. A victim of a broken heart, he has lived with his mother for a while at the start of Attachments and spends his Saturday nights playing D&D with friends. His night shift work precludes him from meeting people who keep normal hours, and he finds himself lonely and out of touch. Under these circumstances, it seems almost reasonable that he would be drawn into the warm and happy lives of two friends who gossip and tease each other to get through the work day.

The lack of privacy concerning Beth and Jennifer's emails - and the fact that Clinton reads them - could be a source of discomfort to some readers, and might make Clinton a person that they feel unable to sympathise with. I didn't have this problem so much, since every office I work in has some form of Internet security where emails are monitored. Saying this, I would be deeply uncomfortable at the idea of someone reading all of my personal conversations with a friend!

I found that that prose in Attachments, plus the snappy dialogue, lifted Attachments above your run of the mill chick lit novel - this is definitely a superior example of the genre, and one that I would feel very comfortable in recommending to someone who wanted to dip their toe into this style of novel.

I also liked the location. Most of the chick lit novels I read are either located in Ireland, London or New York, so to be given such a refreshingly different location - with all the culture and food and sayings that accompany it - was a real breath of fresh air to someone who has read a LOT of chick lit books.

For me, Attachments is one of those rare beasts - a genre novel that actually becomes more. Becomes something you would enjoy reading time and again, and want other people to read in order to savour the goodness. A really excellent novel and well worth your cash - this one is a keeper!

Attachments