4.0 out of 5 stars a good book for women of a certain age, 27 July 2012
I enjoyed this book about a 40th anniversary high school reunion. In the first half [if not more] we meet the main characters: vain Dorothy [divorced], kindly Lester [widowed], troubled Candy [married], lonely Mary Alice [single], and flashy Pete [separated]. We get to know what they were like in high school and what they're doing now.

The second half of the book covers the reunion weekend itself [the lunch, evening dinner and dance and final brunch]. Will they all get what they want to out of the weekend? It's not just a time to catch up and compare, it's a time to re-assess themselves and their views of others.

It moves along at a good pace and because there are quite a few different people to get to know, it's interesting and I did want to keep on reading "just another chapter".

But - I do have a couple of criticisms. The first is the many Americanisms [words and phrases] that I didn't understand. I wish American writers would include a glossary at the back of their books because it does detract from the enjoyment of a novel when I can't understand what something means. For example, what is a "booger" and why would it be a faux pas to eat one?

The other thing I wasn't so happy with was the swearing and bit of crudity which grated somewhat. But some people do swear and in any group you will probably get one or two who use swear words in every sentence, so that's just me being picky.

What I appreciated with this book is that Elizabeth Berg showed that no matter how old you are, you still need to be part of a group, to belong and to be appreciated by someone else. People reach maturity at different ages [or not at all] and it is never too late to take stock and change things.

4.0 out of 5 stars High School Reunion 40 Years On, 28 April 2013
Summary on back cover of book sounded promising & this story did not disappoint me.
We are introduced to an interesting set of characters & follow them through their plans for/& individual reasons for wanting to attend their high school reunion 40 years on.
This is then followed up by what happens at the actual reunion.
The first reviewer has outlined all this very well so I won't add any further comments apart from to say that this is a very easy to read book & the fact that it is based in USA makes it a little bit different.
Definately recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 16 Sep 2014
Mrs. Claire Buckle (Essex . UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last Time I Saw You (Kindle Edition)
Wonderful characters and lovely, poignant story

The Last Time I Saw You