4.0 out of 5 stars Moving the pieces into place
Published on 30 April 2011 by Andrew Riley

2.0 out of 5 stars Clearly saving herself for the final book in the trilogy
I have to agree with the other reviewers who comment that this is a 'middle' book. The pace was slow and in my opinion struggled to actually get anywhere, I was waiting for something exciting to happen throughout. It didn't.
Published on 14 May 2011 by A. Bridges

2.0 out of 5 stars Clearly saving herself for the final book in the trilogy, 14 May 2011
A. Bridges - See all my reviews
Saying that I can see that the author (I hope) is building up to an explosive finale to the trilogy...In my view this was a lazy book and I felt that I had to push myself to finish it, just so I was set up for the last book. I would sum it all up with one word, Dull.

4.0 out of 5 stars Moving the pieces into place, 30 April 2011
Andrew Riley (Reading) - See all my reviews
The Rogue is quite definitely a middle of a trilogy book. There's plenty of things happening, but not much that reaches a climax. The sub-plot involving the two female novices mentioned in the blurb anchors the Kyrallain part of the tale, with the larger aspects of the story orbiting around it. The novices are new characters, and interestingly done each showing a different side of the decision to mix the social classes in The Guild, making it clear that the opportunities this presents aren't without their downside when people with unsavoury agendas enter the mix.

Lorkin and Dannyl both continue their exploration of other cultures, Lorkin with The Traitors and Dannyl back to his old wandering habits off looking for as many different groups of people to talk to as possible. Each of these two are responsible for bringing pieces into place that will undoubtably pay off in the final book of the trilogy.

And that's the biggest flaw of The Rogue , it is a set up for the finale and so it was always going to be more about that, than providing a stand alone story. There was always the slight feeling that the bits you could see coming towards a conclusion within this volume felt a bit more like padding that something that moved the central premise forwards. For me though it was better to have had at least some plot lines closed off within the book itself, giving the novel a point beyond just being number 2 out of 3. Well worth the read, I just hope I don't have to wait too long for the conclusion.

2.0 out of 5 stars I've read all of Trudi Canavan's book but this was a let down, 7 July 2011
This review is from: The Rogue: Book 2 of the Traitor Spy (Traitor Spy Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
If like me you have read all preceeding books you'll find this one lacking to the extreme. It was beyond predictable and has so much in common with The Black Magician trilogy which were extremely enjoyable to read as it was new take on this genre but now with this new trilogy i feel the magic and captivity that held my attention in all of the preceeding books including Voice of the Gods trilogy which was brilliant has gone leaving me feeling somewhat annoyed that I paid 19 for something i read in less than a day. However if you have not read any of her book before on an up note you'd enjoy this but you'd be better off getting her earlier works which are a real treat for the imagination

1.0 out of 5 stars BORING!, 19 Nov 2012
I really liked her other books but at 170 pages, I GIVE UP. Nothing is happening and I refuse to waste more of my time. Trudi you've lost the plot on this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Below standard, 28 Mar 2013
I have enjoyed lots of Trudi's earlier books but this did not live up to my expectations. The storyline rambles along without seeming to make much progress and did not leave me eagerly awaiting the final book in the trilogy. Action was spasmodic and never reached the heights of e.g. any if the Black Magician Trilogy books, and I was puzzled by the author's insistence on spending much time (in my opinion) on building up most of her leading characters homosexual inclinations, rather than giving them anything substative to do that might give the various plotlines more interest. (not being homophobic here by any means, just wondering how she thinks that this adds to the readability of the book!!)
Will probably still try the third episode, but do hope that she can get back to form with this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars magic at it`s best, 29 Sep 2012
This is a fantastic series and anybody wanting a little fantasy in their lives should read
the series.From cover to cover very hard to put down ....spellbinding..

5.0 out of 5 stars Traitor Spy Trilogy, Book 2, 30 July 2012
This is Trudi Canavan back to her best. Full of intrigue and action.
She is a writer I've enjoyed reading over the last few years, even before the time of ebooks!
You'll enjoy this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 18 July 2012
Once again a really good read, already waiting for the next one? Provides enough detail to follow on from previous books

5.0 out of 5 stars Avidreader, 11 May 2012
I have found the Trudi Canavan trilogies a great comfortable read and they keep you enthraled from the start.
The Traitor Spy Trilogy are as good as the previous books and the Rogue is continuing in the same vein.
Can't wait for book three.

3.0 out of 5 stars A litle lacking, 16 Feb 2012
I was looking forward to tucking in to this book after really enjoying the sequence that started with the Black Magician trilogy. However, after enjoying Book one, I was dissapointed when I found this book somewhat lacking the flow and pace of the others. There were times when I felt the narrative to be dragging its heels, almost as if the author had lost her way.

Many of the topic areas have been covered before and whilst I applauded the inclusion of sexual orientation scenarios in the first series, the addition of another one adds nothing (IMHO) to this one, it was almost predictable.

There are times when the story really strikes out and thankfully the pace towards the end picked up enough for me to want to go and buy the next book in August.

Overall, lacking a little of the quality and style I had come to love in this author.