4.0 out of 5 stars A really good read

3.0 out of 5 stars left disappointed
Published 22 months ago by shoestring

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good read, 13 Oct 2008
M. Meggy (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shane: My Story (Hardcover)
As a Welshman and a huge rugby fan I obviously think Shane Williams is some sort of god. However, when I got this book as a gift I was just thought "why?" how interesting could it really be?! I read the first chapter about the recent tour to South Africa, which was brilliantly written, but i thought it was just what i had expected, Shane Williams writing about rugby. But after this there isn't really much talk of rugby, well, there obviously is, but not in the manner you would've thought. The route that he took to get to be the superstar he is today is not a clear-cut as you would think.
Once i picked the book up, i read it for literally hours on end. It really is a fantastic book. I would highly suggest if you're a rugby fan like me.....except yours will not be as good as mine because mine is signed by the man himself: P

4.0 out of 5 stars My Thoughts, 1 Sep 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Shane: My Story (Paperback)
This book is basically about Shane Williams ' achievements being a sports man and especially about leadership.
It is about how he develops his rugby game and how he started off as a young gentleman and played for an average club team and then in 2008 became the very best rugby player of the year.
He was talking about winning and losing - if you win great but if you lose even better as you have to come back to training and work harder and listen more and concentrate even more. He says it's important that if someone drops their head you give them the encouragement that they need to get their heads up again.The biggest thing of all that he says is to never give up. If you give up it all goes pear shaped.
I really enjoyed this book and I think that I have learnt alot from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars read and read and read, 25 Sep 2009
This review is from: Shane: My Story (Hardcover)
I love this book, it really gives you an insight into his life on and off the pitch. I like it so much I must have re-read it at least three times. If you are a Shane Williams fan, or even just a rugby fan, you should buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Shane: My Story (Kindle Edition)
would recommend any rugby supporter to read this . like the honesty.. well worth the read fair play :) x

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Present, 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: Shane: My Story (Paperback)
Bought for rugby mad OH and he has enjoyed reading this book.

Great pressie, nice price
Would recommend to others

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read about a Welsh legend, 20 Oct 2013
Mr. J. Purchase (S. W. England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shane: My Story (Paperback)
This is a well written account of Shane Williams' life before and during his supremely successful career. Whilst his achievements are well documented and are still fresh in the memories of many, it is still interesting to read it from his perspective. He covers a lot of important parts of his own and Welsh rugby's history, such as the move to regional rugby and his break through into the Wales squad. There aren't too many controversies and his opinions are quite honest, especially when he talks about the shambles of the 2005 British and Irish Lions tour to New Zealand.
Shane Williams is clearly a seminal part of Welsh rugby history and whilst his career is too recent to carry the romance of the 1970's legends, he has had an interesting career and I enjoyed reading his story. He writes about all stages of his career and how he progressed through to the highlights of the 2005 and 2008 Grand Slam via Neath and the Ospreys.
This is a good book for anyone who is a fan of Welsh rugby or has enjoyed watching Shane play over the years, like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 14 April 2013
This review is from: Shane: My Story (Paperback)
I bought this for a Christmas present to encourage my son to read again(24!). It worked as he thoroughly enjoyed reading Shane's story

3.0 out of 5 stars left disappointed, 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: Shane: My Story (Paperback)
The trouble with books written by sportsmen when they are still playing is they just don't wont to offend their team mates, employers etc...unless that is your name is Gavin Henson. Whilst I can't say that I disliked the book, most of the content is fairly tame with no real insight to what really happens behind the scenes. very average but I do look forward to his inevitable memoirs once he retires, hopefully with the gloves off.

4.0 out of 5 stars Story of a Legend, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: Shane: My Story (Paperback)
Very readable autobiography by a true legend of Welsh rugby, a worthy heir to star wingers of the past such as Gerald Davies, JJ Williams and Ieuan Evans. The book offers some great insights into the pressures of top international rugby, and it's characterised by a self effacing modest approach, far removed from the arch trumpet blowing of some sporting efforts. Shane comes across as a down to earth, home loving and unassuming man, who just happened to be an absolutely electrifying rugby player, one who could light up any match - and frequently did. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sporting Hero, 14 Jan 2012
This review is from: Shane: My Story (Paperback)
purchased this book for my rugby playing teenager. He met Shane at a rugby academy in Wales in 2010 and has really enjoyed watching the magician in action and also enjoyed his story. Thank you Shane for being an inspiration to thousands of Welsh boys

Shane: My Story