5.0 out of 5 stars 30 something and over it too!
Published on 21 April 2009 by Book fiend

3.0 out of 5 stars pleasant to read but not revolutionary
very entertaining; light style of writing makes it and easy to read but it isn't a particulary in-depth or revealing book.
Published 8 months ago by Grace

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars 30 something and over it too!, 21 April 2009
I decided to buy this after reading the review in Heat magazine and as soon as it arrived I practically devoured it, finishing it in a day (it's a fairly slim book). While reading I started to wonder about the author's nationality as a couple of things made me think she wasn't from the UK, but having watched the video I now know she lives in Australia! This is interesting as I have always thought of Australia as a kind of utopia where no-one could possibly be unhappy about anything, now I realise that people there have the same kind of crises (or thrises) as us. I definitely identified with the author's "thrisis", having had the exactly the same experience of waking up not wanting to go to work ever again. The first page of the book made me laugh out loud, which doesn't happen very often. I found it in parts hilarious, informative and thought-provoking. The author had obviously done her research. I wished it was longer as I was disappointed to come to the end, but the last chapter was useful. I seemed to have read most of the books in the bibliography already, obviously having been pondering the 30 something and over it question for some time! If you are going through anything like this it is a useful and funny book to add to your collection and to make you realise "oh, so it's not just me that feels like that!"

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 4 Aug 2011
Cath (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Like the other reviewers I read this book in just a couple of evenings. It is very entertaining and easy to read and I enjoyed her lighter style of writing. It wasn't a particulary in-depth or revealing book but it did sucessfully put into words the feelings that I have had over the last couple of years and the journey that I have been through myself. For me the most interesting bit about the book was the differences between the sexes - I have never been able to understand why my husband doesn't complain about his work when he obviously doesn't enjoy it!

I have subsequently lent the book to friends and I would advise 30 somethings to buy and read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing!, 9 Aug 2011
This book was recommended by a friend, who'd read it, then promptly jacked her job in and went travelling. I read it, jacked my job in, took a few months off and now, whilst I'm office based (most of the time anyway), actually secured a role working with local communities, which I love. I then recommended it to another friend, who also, not long after, resigned and the last I heard, also went travelling! Coincidentally, we all worked in HR! Seriously, I would recommend this book to anyone who works in the Corporate world and feels they're at that "crossroads". Incidentally, I'm "40 something..." so it's never too late! A fantastic book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 20 April 2010
I really enjoyed reading this book it does not have "the answer" but at least i now know that there are others out there who are "over it" - am a full time working mother 28 years of age and am seriously "over it" but reading this booking has re-energised me... am glad i discovered it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 11 Sep 2013
A. Jones (South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 30-Something and Over It: What Happens When You Wake Up and Don't Want to Go to Work . . . Ever Again (Kindle Edition)
A quick read, totally on the money and great conclusions at the end. Worth every penny. Also worth reading some of Martha Beck's essays as a compliment to thinking around how you can use trial and error to make quite dramatic changes in how you feel about your life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Upbeat and engaging, 26 Mar 2012
May Kasahara (Central London) - See all my reviews
This was one of five books I bought to inspire me in my search for a new career. I wanted to mix it up a bit so three of the books were more instructional and written in an academic text book style, the fourth book was written more like a women's mag and this one is categorised as an autobiography.

Kasey's style is light and witty - she doesn't take herself too seriously and she xplores the some pretty big issues honestly and openly.

As a 30 something female who has always worked in the corporate world, I related to most of what Kasey was going through and I was fascinated to see how someone else was dealing with the challenges, dilemmas and questions that I, and many of my friends of a similar age face. Kasey's journey is interesting and motivational as she does reach (and share) a number of conclusions by the end of her journey - which is also the start of her new journey.

This was a great book to start my journey and I am ready to read the next career book on my shelf but with a slightly more open mind than I had before sharing Kasey's journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect timing for me!, 29 July 2009
A. Walker - See all my reviews
I bought this book last month despite the fact that it had a 'chick lit' cover. Kasey absolutely hits the nail on the head with this book. I was starting to think I was going a bit mad at work - losing my ambition and drive and wondering what else is out there and am I the only one feeling lost. This book is funny but true and Kasey has done some serious research. Best bit for me was the stuff about 'lilypads' - you don't have to know what the next 5 years look like, you just have to take the next step - jump to the next lilypad. Would highly recommend this book to anyone out there who is wondering if there is more to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it in a day!, 11 May 2009
I felt compelled to write this review about 30-Something and Over It. It was given to me as a gift and I was a bit reluctant to read it because I thought it was some sort of self help book. How very wrong I was. I have never read something that made so much sense to me. It sums up exactly my jaded feelings about corporate culture and this nagging feeling that there must be more to life. I couldn't put it down. This book is really terrific, inspiring and a sensitive insight into a difficult point in life. All combined with a clever, funny and readable writing style. I very much look forward to her next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Over forty but loved it, 5 May 2009
I was initially attracted by the title, having been in the situation many times of no wanting to ever go to work again but not quite knowing what to do about it. I was then delightfully surprised when the book pulled no punches and laid out Kasey's own life and journies in a raw, uncompromising fashion. I related to so many of the things she experienced and found myself having gained so much from spending time with her words. The book does not hold all the easy answers but instead it gives you tools to find your own. I would love to hear the back story to the many glimpses Kasey gives on her dysfunctional background and look forward to a strong and promising career from this thirty something author!

5.0 out of 5 stars just awesome!!!!! a must read..., 9 Oct 2014
I wish I could write personally to the author because when I googled 'what do I do if I don't want to go back to the rat race' her book came up and it was like nectar! She even did the same role as me and it did make me smile as I found Buddhism which unlike Kasey has changed my life. Thank you Kasey your book has made me feel not do alone in my quest and inspired me to believe in my guy feeling and my dreams. xx

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›