5.0 out of 5 stars What have I been missing?
Published on 15 Jun 2011 by Captain Sinister

3.0 out of 5 stars Whats this about??
At last the long awaited album is out and I just do not get it!!!I have listened to it 5 times.....mostly in disbelief.....and I just do not get this album.First track I think great,good opener,back to basics Journey..second track not too bad I tell myself and then what follows is just a mumbo jumbo of disjointed melodies swarming around with no direction.There are bits...
Published on 31 May 2011 by rockaphil

5.0 out of 5 stars What have I been missing?, 15 Jun 2011
This review is from: Eclipse (Audio CD)
I think my musical taste must be mellowing - I steered clear of this band having heard the odd track on the radio from time to time, and thinking it a bit bloated and pretentious. However, having been given a copy of Eclipse and having given it several plays I find that the musicianship is of a very high calibre, and not being beholden to earleir lead singers I find the current vocalist to have an excellent range and passion. The songs are all well crafted and production values are consistently high throughout. The album benefits from being played on a decent hi-fi with the speakers being driven by the amp being tunred up to a decent volume. What comes out of the speakers is a rich, full and textured sound. I shall have to try some of the earlier stuff to see if I have indeed missed out by ignoring Journey in the past...

5.0 out of 5 stars Eclipse is recommended, 26 Jun 2011
Mr. Peter Marchant (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eclipse (Audio CD)
This isn't Journey with Steve Perry, but who cares? Arnel Pinada does a fantastic job as lead singer, and does the new recordings and historical back catalogue proud. This band is louder, mainly due to Deen Castronovo's drumming, and it works. The two "new boys" with long serving Neil Schon, Ross Valory and Jonathon Cain, is fantastic. These are great songs and added another dimension to their setlist in the June 2011 UK tour. (our fifth and sixth Journey concerts). We got the album just in time to learn the songs for the Wembley and Birmingham gigs and it's been a staple on our cd player or in the car ever since. Five songs from Eclipse featured in the set, showing its standing in the eyes of the band.
Recommended!!!!!
Peter and Pauline from South Wales.

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I bought it, 6 Jun 2011
Stuart Briggs "stuartbriggs" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eclipse (Audio CD)
I've been a lukewarm Journey fan since 'Escape', mostly going for individual songs rather than albums ('Be good to yourself' will ALWAYS be in my list of top ten favourite songs).

Last month I had 'Generations' rolling round my head because it's a quality album with a mighty peak ('Faith in the heartland'). Purely on the strength of that, without hearing a note, I took a chance and pre-ordered 'Eclipse'. I'm really glad that I did; it opens well with 'City of hope' and pretty much every track is listenable. The great thing about 'Eclipse' is that it grows on you with repeated listening, but if I only have time to hear one song it is definitely 'Tantra', a typical Journey song that swells into something very special and moving.

It's Journey, it's stadium rock, it's a change of pace and it's wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars No longer in the shadow of Steve Perry!, 17 Jun 2011
This review is from: Eclipse (Audio CD)
What comes out of this album loud and clear is the sence of unity within the band. They've thought about where they are in the music genre, and have a clear sense of where they are going. It's no longer a case of "does he sound like Perry?" or, "is there a "don't stop beleivin'" here?" It's simply a great rock album, created by great rock musicians and song writers, which will be played over and over by true rock fans. Without wishing to be patronising, fans of glee will probably fail to appreciate the depth and complexity of this album, it is a slow burner, but that fan base always was going to disappear as quickly as it arrived. Journey know that, and, as a long time Journey fan, ( infinity, 'nuff said? ) to me this is just yet another layer and embelishment to their rich back catalogue, which will stand alone, and will not suffer any negative comparison to previous classic offerings. Revelation was a great start for arnel, but this is better, signifying total intergration. I will be dissapointed if the album doesn't take all true Journey fans along with it. The essential sound that makes journey the legend that they are is still there, the back catologue is still on your cd shelves, and will be paid homage to on every tour, as it should be. The only critisism I would make is that the album wasn't released in the uk in time for the tour. ..bit of a cock up there guys! Having said that, now i've heard the album, i'm transported back to the two gigs we went to, ( Wembley, and Lg arena ..long story!) and reliving with relish the performaces of the new songs. ..fantastic guys, well done, see you on the next tour!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Huge power chords - is this what you want?, 8 Jun 2011
This review is from: Eclipse (Audio CD)
This is probably the heaviest Journey album, so if you prefer Faithfully, Open Arms & Little Girl etc over Escape, Separate Ways & Change For The Better, look away now! I think this album reflects that the band have been touring a lot over the last few years. It is very Neal Schon/Guitar orientated. Arnel sings really well, although I found the lyrics (not his) a bit 'wordy'(sometimes less is more!). I think this album answers those who have called for less ballads - well they have got them. I think it will prove to be a big part of their legacy but next time they need to take a bit more Jonathan Cain, add more keyboards & throw in a weepy!

4.0 out of 5 stars A real grower, 8 Jun 2011
D. Thomas "Dave T" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eclipse (Audio CD)
Not the most instantaneously catchy Journey album. The songs are heavier and darker than the classic era, and most clock in at over 6 minutes. Neal Schon's thick guitar work reminded me of his 90's hard rock outfit Hardline, and that's no bad thing. Persevering with the CD I found that the deeper, more layered approach really grew on me, particularly 'Tantra,' 'Chain of Love' and 'Resonate.' More classic Journey sounds can be found in 'City of Hope,' about Arnel Pineda's home city Manila. I was pleased that on this record, Arnel's personality shines through a little more, and he wasn't quite so tied to sounding exactly like Steve Perry. A magnificent singer who deserves a chance even from devoted Perry die-hards.

4.0 out of 5 stars It`s a grower, 6 Jun 2011
This review is from: Eclipse (Audio CD)
Like a lot of the previous reviews the new journey cd takes a few plays to really get into which i can`t say is bad thing as the more you listen to it you sometimes appreciate certain riffs and hooks. Favourite tracks are City of Hope ( dedicated to the people of Manilla )and the power ballad of Resonate which the more i hear the more i like,it has a more rockier edge than previous offering which i personnally like.
Saw these guys in Birmingham last night what a show with great support from Foreigner and Styx

4.0 out of 5 stars They're not trying to reinvent journey, they're embracing what's great about this band, 31 May 2011
David Calcano (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Eclipse (Audio CD)
This is album is a testament that bands can go a long way and keep their spirit, style... even without their emblematic singer Steve Perry.

The first six songs of this album could be in ANY of the Steve Perry's albums, it is FRESH, the melodies and guitars will BLOW you away; and Arnel (the new singer) brings so much feeling into the table, one can hear more of his style in these songs, specially within the lower ranges of his voice... but HE ALWAYS keeps the Journey feel EVERYWHERE.

This record adds great songs into the band's legacy, and it just makes me look forward to the next record hoping they never stop; they're not trying to reinvent journey, they're embracing what's great about this band; and to be honest that's what we, the fans, want in every way.

What did I not like about the album? Probably the song "She's a Mystery" it felt like out of place in comparison w/ the rest of the album.

Have a listen and enjoy a great melodic rock record; it's the best record w/ Arnel... so far.

Let the music play!

5.0 out of 5 stars Eclipse's most of their recent albums, 3 Jun 2011
This review is from: Eclipse (Audio CD)
Their most demanding album to date, requiring a few listens before you can fully absorb the complexity that's on offer here. Bear with it and you will be richly rewarded. It feels like they're giving two fingers up to the current popularity that 'Glee' has recently generated for them, and desperately trying to distance themselves from that scene - 'THIS IS A ROCK BAND - AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT!!'
In my humble opinion, this is their best offering since 'Frontiers', and helps me forgive the travesty that was 'Trial By Fire'. Journey are making exciting, melodic, and in places, heavy rock music again. Welcome back boys!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant stuff - and crucial if your going to see them live!, 11 Jun 2011
Paul Price "paul76" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eclipse (Audio CD)
Outstanding new material from Journey - City of Hope, Edge of the Moment, Tantra and Resonate are right up there with the best material they have ever produced. And even if you are a commited Steve Perry generation fan, THIS is the album that will make you a believer! Arnel Pineda is a first-class front man with tremendous vocal range. And finally, having seen them live on thursday, the band play 4 or 5 tracks off this album in their set - you know it makes sense!
Oh forgot to say... the rest of the band have lost NONE of their brilliance.

Eclipse
Eclipse by Journey (Audio CD - 2011)