Format: Kindle Edition|Change

EXCELLENT BOOK
on 12 May 2016
No Problem
on 17 April 2011
I thought the concept was a stroke of genius and I was really prepared to like this book. Unfortunately, I really don't. The comparison with the Bible is an apt one: I found both books very boring, and written in a rather annoying style. And so, as it happened with the Bible when I tried to read it a couple of decades ago, I just couldn't bring myself to read Grayling's book from cover to cover. I begun earnestly with the Genesis, but then started skipping pages, trying - and failing - to find something that would hook me.

Now, I realise that in the same way that millions of people find the Bible inspiring and a literary masterpiece, there is likely to be a readership that will enjoy this book. But I won't be among them.
on 6 June 2011
What a lovely book!! So sensible, logical, interesting. Wish I had the time to sit and read it from beginning to end in one sitting; as it is, I am "treating" myself to a few pages each day. No home should be without this book.
on 4 April 2011
I was really looking forward to this book, expecting a scholarly guidebook by a humanist to a range of great ideas. I was deeply disappointed to find no direct footnotes or clear references at all to the great thinkers whose ideas and insights are allegedly the foundations of the work. There is only a mashed-up list of referenced authors names at the end. Very disappointing approach from someone who presents himself as a scholar and an academic.

An opportunity sadly missed, in my opinion.

Scott Downs, London
1414 comments|59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 May 2011
I was so looking forward to reading this 500 page book from Professor Grayling.Someone I greatly admire. I know I'm not intellectually in his league but I'd say I was of above average intelligence and yet I struggled to understand half what was said.Although the book is compiled from many sources the purpose of word is to communicate to readers - this the book in large part fails to do satisfactorily for me. I read sections of it several times to attempt to understand the meaning but usually to no avail.That doesn't mean ,of course, that it isn't a great work necessarily - its just that I found that so many parts of it seem capable of different interpretations .I like to read brilliant persons thoughts and observations conveyed clearly and unambiguously to me as the reader - and not have to put my own interpretation on their words. Mind you I have a similar problem with parts of the Bible, and people often interpret that in various ways.
on 19 March 2016
talk about hubris ... it takes quite an ego to pull together a book like this and then publish it as a "secular bible". Go and read Shakespeare or Dante or Homer or some other author who has huge, infinite perception of what it is to be a reflective human being, and not this piece of self-important egotism.
on 30 April 2011
The LAST thing non-believers needed when defending their corner and holding off the recent criticism that Atheism is a religion was scripture. Not to mention this book is just awful.
It makes very little sense for the most part and it is really just a rip-off of what Thomas Jefferson did Centuries ago removing the miracles of the Bible and keeping the moral teachings. This book was unnecessary and is not even useful.

I would not buy this book if I could turn the clocks back and I most certainly will not read it again.
on 19 November 2014
well liked
on 19 August 2011
Some parts of this book are quite good. Unfortunately much of it is dull or seems irrelevant. I can't help feeling that quite a lot of the content is there simply to mirror the content of The Bible, without any thought as to whether or not it can actually enlighten. I wouldn't really recommend trawling through the dross to get to the good bits.