5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value, incredible sound quality!
I bought these as my first set of decent amarture driver earphones and have not been disappointed.

initially they are fiddly to get into your ear but once the action becomes natural the fit is snug, fitted and comfortable for all day listening if you really wanted to!

Published on 4 Dec. 2012 by bmbw2010

2.0 out of 5 stars Great sound until they broke after 1 month
These are a great upgrade for your iPod if you save your music at lossless or highest bit rate. I say this because they will show up inferior lower quality recording levels.

Published on 28 Dec. 2012 by Tony

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value, incredible sound quality!, 4 Dec. 2012

sound is crisp, sharp and loud. the bass is not on par with headphones but for earphones it is shockingly 'thumping'! the cable is long and very solid, I have given them a lot of abuse and the cable and jack show no sign of damage or wearing at all! and they are replaceable if the time arises!

could not be happier with these earphones, I am a Shure convert and wont be going back to anything else....even if it has a rapper on the box!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Shure Bet, 3 July 2013
Amazon Customer (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
One of the big questions in life is: How is it worthwhile and/or acceptable to listen to music on these.

If you love your music then give it the respect it deserves. Pay the price for a pair of headphones and rediscover/discover the true sound of your music.

That leaves you with two basic choices: in-ear or over-ear.

IE headphones are the best noise-cancelling option; that is, you will not hear anything else. I cannot emphasise how important this is for the sound quality. The air-tight seal will allow you to play the music at a comfortable volume and improves the bass response. Altruistically, this also means that much less noise is getting out allowing you to listen to your guilty pleasures with nothing more than a cheeky smirk suggesting the truth. Whilst you may be able to fit more/bigger drivers in the OE units, the supremacy of the in-ear clarity for the low end is key.

And for practicality, IEs win hands-down. They don't fall out of your ears when you are running or working out, and they are aesthetically more subtle and, in my opinion, less geeky looking.

Shure are mainly concerned with the production of professional studio equipment (i.e. monitors, microphones, mixers and the like). Their foray into consumer electronics stemmed from the natural evolution of what they called 'monitors' mainly designed for the use of DJs in clubs and producers in noisy studios into earphones for the noisy commuters.

Over the last few years i have tried these: Klipsch Image S4 Headphones, Monster Cable Turbine PRO High Performance Multilingual In-Ear Speakers - Copper, Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Ear-canal Phones - Black, Beats by Dr. Dre In Ear Tour Headphones with Control Talk for Apple Devices - Black/Red.

And I have used the Shure 215s (previously E2Cs), 315s and 535s.

For value for money and sound quality i think the best choice is the Shure 215s and if money is not an issue- get two sets of 215s (maybe one pair for exercise and one for home and travel usage).

I would have to say its very difficult to tell much difference between the 215s and the 315s but the triple-driver system of the 535s does result in a much more powerful bass punch. Unfortunately this is at the expense of the high end; which can at times become very overwhelmed with complex acoustic and rock music, coming across as tinny. It is with that in mind that I feel the sharp increase in price to the 535s would not be justified if you are listening to a lot high end music, whereas if you primarily listen to deep electronic music you may notice an improvement in quality. But worth the 4X price increase? I don't think so.

Here are some pointers:

- Shures come with foam and plastic buds, each in three different sizes, its pretty important that you spend a while trying each and finding out which suits you best. At first this is not going to feel natural at all, especially if you have never used in-ear headphones before. Give it some time and within a week it will feel right. Also, note that the wire is designed to rest over your ear. Again this is unnatural at first but in time it will feel much more supportive and you will wonder why you ever had the wire tugging down by your earlobe before. My preference is the plastic buds as i sweat alot when i run (as a note these earphones are just amazing for running (a) because they never fall out and stay solidly air-tight (b) because these bass loving headphones work just a treat with trance music and any electronic music (my choice of running music)).

- The actual units are removable from the wire if you pull lightly in a perpendicular direction away from the wire. This is really important. If you are outside the warranty and the wire breaks you don't need to pay for the whole set - you may be able to find them online or just call the Shure service department and they will send you out one for roughly £30. The wire is not specific to the model. As a side note, I have never had a technical issue with the units, it has always been the wire. In the past it was often the curvature around the ear that wore away but Shure have since reinforced this area.

- Treat third party sellers with caution. Due to the high-end nature of the product Shure have brought together an anti-counterfeiting initiative; this has been in response to a wave of fakes that are flooding the internet. Tell-tale signs are the combination of 'Chinese Warehouses' and a substantial reduction from the RRP. Remember if it seems to good to be true, then it probably isn't. Check Shure's website for an authorised distirbutor list - Shure will deal with these warranty claims directly - or take a product that is fulfilled by Amazon. The issue with third party sellers on Amazon is that they may be unable to verify where they get their stock from. That is to say that they are not purchasing via known wholesalers of Shure's and so they don't know if they are grey imports. This doesn't necessarily mean that you are completely without a warranty just that you will need to go back to the seller. They should have no issue replacing your earphones if they are purchasing via authorised distribution channels. Keep all receipts for the warranty.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great sound until they broke after 1 month, 28 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Shure SE215 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones - Clear (Electronics)

The reason they do not get five stars is the fit, which takes some getting used to. Although there is a plethora of different fittings, personally I found there is not one, which fits my ears efficiently without causing discomfort, I.e. the medium soft foam is comfortable but let's in to much sound and therefore reduces the sound experience. The larger soft foam gives superb isolation and sound quality but causes pain with prolonged listening (two albums or more).

Furthermore the over ear wire fitting is initially complicated to get right and some might find uncomfortable but if you persevere the benefit of quality sound is a worthy reward if you can find a fit that does not hurt your ears.

NEGATIVE FOLLOW UP
My cable broke / has a fault by the jack plug one month after receiving them. I have treated them like a new born child, never coiling, twisting or folding the cable in any way but the wire to the left speaker cuts out when you touch the cable next to the jack plug.

I cannot believe the ridiculous lack of build quality of £40+ cable (replacement cost).

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 18 Aug. 2013
I'm a practical music lover, I've invested in a nice set-up and plonked down a few hundred euro on HD650s and accompanying Xonar D2X to have high quality sound at home, but unfortunately this set-up is neither cheap enough nor portable enough to bring to the gym with me. Instead I relied on whatever headphones were lying around the house (usually a mixture of new apple earphones and cheap skullcandys). After breaking 5-6 pairs within a year through wear and tear I decided that it would be cheaper to invest in a durable pair of headphones that might last a year, if I was lucky.

Not only have these Shures lasted a year of intense gym work, they've also become my constant companions; at home, at work, running, you name it. They are FANTASTIC. There are more than a few reviews here which highlight just how great these sound, and I won't flatter myself by thinking I could do them justice with my writing. Instead, take this as a "lifestyle" review of them.

These earphones have amazing sound. They're extremely comfortable (I never bothered to change to default medium foam earpieces, I can't see how they could be better). They were cheap, have proven more than durable (Kevlar reinforced cord is surely helping here), and I can honestly say they are one of the best online purchases I've made.

If I were to order them again (and I would) I would change just one thing, and that would be to get them in Black. The clear earbuds look great but the cable has a copper-ish tint running through it and looks a bit gaudy. Just something to be aware of and certainly not something that detracts from the product in any way. Completely deserving of a 5 star review.

2.0 out of 5 stars Superb sound, but very poor build quality., 9 Oct. 2012
I'm writing this review while in the process of returning these earphones for the third time.

They are great earphones, the best I have ever heard. They are incredibly comfortable, and never fall out thanks to the way that the wire curves around the back of the ear. I can leave the other reviews on here to describe how great they sound, so I'll explain my issues that I've had.

I think it was around 9 months into owning these when one of the ear pieces began to fail, going crackly and losing bass. And just as I was about to return them, the headphone jack completly broke off inside my iPod. It was retrievable, but they had to be returned.

Then after about 2 months, the head phone jack failed again, leaving the left hand side without audio.

So now again after about 4 months, the headphone jack has failed again, this time the right hand side is no receiving signal.

I have not been using these for any serious sporting activity which could cause early failures, and I have Always kept them in their provided case when not in use. So I can only think that the superior build quality provided by Shure is not actually the case.

So after a little over a year and a half, I have had to buy other headphones as these earphones, as great as they could be seem to be doomed to fall apart too often to be worth the irritation through ownership.

The customer service people are fairly quick to respond and the warranty return procedure is quick enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mindblowing, 23 July 2011
I have always been a huge fan on Shure since I first purchased my E4C's a few years back.

Even the E4C's with their single drivers blew me away, but as was frequently reported, the cable (on the E4C's) would wear away and the connection would break - this happened twice, but fortunately both times Shure were absolutely fantastic. I called their customer helpline, explained the problem and the helpful person on the other end simply said to pop them in the post and they'd send out a new pair. No arguments, no excuses or backtracking. Both times they complied willingly. In fact the second time round they replaced them with the new upgraded model SE310's.

Based on my fantastic experience with Shure, once the connection broke again on my SE310's a couple of years later [this time outside my warranty period], I decided to stick with them and upgrade to the SE535. The design of these alone suggests that Shure realised that in previous models they'd been sending out rather too many free replacements - so the SE535's have kevlar coated DETACHABLE cables. Genius. This means that when I fall outside of my warranty period again, IF the cable busts, I'll be able to get a replacement cable instead of forking out what is admittedly enough hard cash to give most people a nasty chin bruise as it thuds to the floor. (Most people who find out how much I spent on earphones do think I'm absolutely mental... BUT they haven't actually HEARD how amazing music CAN sound, which is exactly what these earphones achieve)

So this brings me nicely onto my next and most important part of my review; the sound... This, after all my other waffly guff, is what you are really here to read about.
Let me put it this way, I regularly commute on the tube (the subway trains) in London which is generally rather a noisy affair. Loud clattery trains, and unnecessarily loud tannoy announcements.
Many of the 'iPhone headphone' wearing parade get around this problem by whacking up the volume so loud you wonder why there aren't spots of blood dribbling out their lug-holes. It also means that all the 'non head/earphone-wearing' crowd around them are subjected to what sounds like a distant train transporting a cage of angry insects.

This is NOT the case with the SE535's. Of the wide selection of ear fittings you're given, I personally like to use the foam earplug variety. When these are snugly fitted, I could play the loudest angriest most 'GRRRRRR!' metal song EVER and, as far as everyone around me is concerned, I could be listening to "4 minutes 33" by John Cage.
Further to this, selfishly ignoring the (lack of) experience of others around me, MY OWN experience is phenomenal.

I hear basically NOTHING but the music. I will be stood on the tube platform and a tube train will come screaming into the station with all its clatter, horrible metal-on-metal screeching noises and some tedious platform announcement booming away overhead and I am able to close my eyes and pretend that I am standing in the same room as the song artist(s). The sound is SO clear, the frequency response is awesome.

On the bass level, it's actually quite surreal because when you turn it up a bit on a bassy song, it sounds like you're stood near some über-watt mega subwoofer where normally you would FEEL the bass waves rippling through your body. Unfortunately Shure's current earphone technology doesn't yet provide the physical body-wide bass ripply experience other than in your ears, but my goodness it's awesome.

In short: Amazing. Buy them. Eat baked beans every day for a month with the small change left from your paycheck. At least your ears won't be bleeding.

5.0 out of 5 stars At this price, they really shouldn't sound this good, 14 Sept. 2011
I previously owned a paid of Denon AH-C551 earphones, until the right earbud died (I opened up the unit to see if the problem was fixable, but it was just too fiddly for my liking). I loved my Denons - Despite the top end being a bit unrefined (although this softens as the drivers burn in) - They were great value for money.

However, when they died, I decided that these Shure SE215s were the way to go - And I couldn't be happier at the decision I made. I looked at a great many earphones up to a price of around £130, but plumped for these in the end because they were widely reviewed as having all of Shure's well known qualities (superb build quality, excellent sound isolation, a surprisingly wide soundscape and a pleasant warm tonality), but at a price point well below Shure's top end models.

I can tell you that the reviews do not lie. Despite being single, dynamic driver models, they lack nothing in terms of clarity and separation, either - Which is very impressive given the warm tone and decent bass response given. Incidentally, in terms of the bass - Those of you who are total bass heads probably won't want to invest in these, and would probably be better off going for the (in my opinion horribly unbalanced) Bose or Beats by Dr Dre models. If I had to put the bass response of the Shures on a scale, it would fall at a happy balance between the bass-heavy Bose, and the bass-light Sennheiser in-ears.

In terms of what music they have been tested with - I have listened to a wide range (even wider than usual with the purpose of writing this review). To give but a few examples:

Johnny Cash - Hurt
I happen to love Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nails' classic anyway, but I have to say that this was an eye-opener - You can clearly hear every breath, finger movement on the guitar, and the occasional less-than-clean note played therein. The sheer amount of detail that I had never heard before was astonishing. When the accompaniment kicks in towards the end the track simply soars.

Edward Grieg - Piano Concerto in A Minor
Again, its the clarity and sense of space that are obvious here. The keys on the piano ring out as if it were right in the room with you, and the orchestral accompaniment is clear but never overwhelming as can happen with some dynamic driver based earphones where one frequency sort of "drowns out" the others

Metallica - Call of Ktulu (from S&M)
This is a particularly tricky one as it combines rock and classical music together, which can often get rather muddy (again, especially on dynamic driver earphones). The Shures dealt with the piece extremely well, I feel. The track possibly lacked a slight amount of attack at the top end for the strings to really "sing" over the guitars and drums, but only when compared to multi-driver armature earphones. The clarity was still there, and the bass from the drums and guitars was impressive - Full and powerful without being overly "boomy"

Maroon 5 - Misery
To cover the pop bases I decided to listen to Maroon 5, and the 215s once again excelled here. The vast majority of what we listen to in pop music is squarely in the mid-range, and the detail was superb, and that warm tone was still there.

The fit on these once you get the right sleeves, and you get used to the ear hooks, is exceptional (for me at least). I can happily walk around, get on the train, even run to catch a train just about to leave, without these budging. The fit being so good, of course, means that the sound isolation is second to none, and surely helps with that bass response.

The build quality seems to be exactly the same as the higher priced Shure models I have seen, which is excellent. The high quality detachable cable is, at this price, particularly surprising (given that a replacement cable alone can cost upwards of £30). Its kevlar coating seems to keep it snag and tangle free (one persistent complaint I did have about the Denons), and noise transmission through the cable seems pretty low.

Overall, these are actually better than the Denons I so dearly loved for the past 3 years. I'm still sad to see them gone, but I feel these are more than just a replacement - They are, surprisingly given the price being fairly similar, actually a fairly significant upgrade. If you enjoy a wide range of music and not simply overly-bassy tracks, and want clarity and warmth at the same time, which isn't an easy thing to come by, I would thoroughly recommend these over and above any others I tried, including models from Ultimate-Ears, Sennheiser, Klipsch and Etymotic.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm no audiofile, 14 Mar. 2013
Therefore I say that there are many other people reviewing these earphones who are better qualified than I to comment on the sound quality. However, I will mention the sound quality briefly, I know that there is a burn in time required to get earphones of this quality to their best. I just started listening right away, they were , I don't know, bright, harsh maybe, really just too much sharp sounding things going on. After around 20 to 30 hours of listening I really started to notice a big improvement, and then I started to appreciate what great clarity of sound these earphones produce. I never really knew what seperation meant before, but I might now, the vocals in particular stand out amazingly clearly. The sound though, that's subjective and your opinion of the sound will most likely depend on what type of music you are listening to, what quality of system playing and amping the sound and kbit or kbyte rate of your recordings.
I am mainly playing electronic and rock music on a low budget mp3 player at WAV lossless quality. I know that a better player and amp would do wonders for the sound, but it's still very good. The also make a nice sound environment watching blurays on my laptop, again using just the internal soundcard.
I came from a pair of Sennheiser IE8s which I loved, but i didn't treat them great, so one earpiece stopped working. I considered getting the IE80s but thought I would try the Shures out for a change. Some reviews say they are not great for banging rock and thumping tunes, some reviews say they will play anything well. Well, they do play everything well, just in a different way that the IE8s do. I prefer the Thumpy IE8s and can live with a slight lack of clarity, but you may prefer the clear seperation of the SE425s.
So, I'm not knocking off a point as I prefer a different kind of sound, the Shure SE425s produce a 5 star sound, no question.
The reason that I am giving only 4 stars is from my own personal owner / user experience. I put earphones, and earplugs! in and out of my ears all day long, well quiet often for sure. I like the process to be as smooth and cause the least agitation as possible. I admit that I am easily annoyed ! Putting the IE8s into my ears was only a little annoying, the cable was quite soft and not too thick, just about right and pushing the earphones themselves in wasn't too enraging / soul destroying. The SE425s on the other hand have a thick plastic cable, not necessarily cheap and nasty more industrial strength. The earphones swivel around the hinge to prevent damaging the cable at that point, however, it's easy for me to get confused (I am easily confused) when trying to insert them into my lug holes properly. Therefore I find the art of putting them on properly to be a chore and it tends to kill my buzz man.
So that's my main gripe with the Shures, it might not be a problem for you. Overall I am happy that I decided to give the SE425s a go, the sound clarity is spectacular, the build quality is great, just the cable lets it down for me a little bit, I know that you can get upgrade cables, but they are a bit pricy, but that is one possible solution, so I can't complain too much :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic phones, 9 Feb. 2015
ilovegadgets (basildon, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was down with shures as a whole, i had previously owned, e2c, e4c, and s315.
I loved the e4c the most, but they all had a problem, NONE lasted more than 3 months. The cable always became brittle and cracked killing that phone. Shure were excellent until the warranty expired, the last pair that were s315 i had were actually only 3 months old but about the 7 or 8th pair on that warranty.

I really struggled to bring myself to purchase these phone after my previous experiences with shures. but im glad i did.
I purchased my se535 in december 2013. Today 9th feb 2015 the same phones are still the original and daily drivers.
Ive had to replace the olives a few times, but the achilles heel of the earlier models have been eradicated with the new cables. My phones still have the original cables in daily use with a spare in the bag if they fail.

The sound quality of these things is superb, i was a little mythed when i first used them as they sounded muted and a bit muddy, but after a good burn in they sound bright and.... well wonderful. I dont need to review the sound quality as it has been done many times over on here.

For those wondering i use these for approx 6-8 hours per day while at work (im lucky to be able to) and i listen to everything from audible books to heavy metal and these phones have been perfect.

Just keep the olives clean, and wipe the over ear cable with warm soapy water once a week and they will last.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as I expected..., 28 Sept. 2011
Having used the SE530 for the last 2 years only to suffer the usual broken wire problem. I have to say the SE535 have surpassed my expectations. The sound is as good as, if not slightly more involved than the SE530. The re-shaped model is even more comfortable to wear (less volumous, so you could almost lie in bed with them on). But best of all, with detachable cables, you can also use the SE535 as a full headset with your iphone and you can replace the cables when they become damaged instead of buying earphones. Only improvement required, is a pair of custom buds for them... the next item on my shopping list!