5.0 out of 5 stars A Shure Bet
One of the big questions in life is: How is it worthwhile and/or acceptable to listen to music on these.

If you love your music then give it the respect it deserves. Pay the price for a pair of headphones and rediscover/discover the true sound of your music.

That leaves you with two basic choices: in-ear or over-ear.

IE headphones are the...
Published 23 months ago by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Great sound until they broke after 1 month
These are a great upgrade for your iPod if you save your music at lossless or highest bit rate. I say this because they will show up inferior lower quality recording levels.

Published on 28 Dec. 2012 by Tony

2.0 out of 5 stars Great sound until they broke after 1 month, 28 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Shure SE215 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones - Clear (Electronics)

The reason they do not get five stars is the fit, which takes some getting used to. Although there is a plethora of different fittings, personally I found there is not one, which fits my ears efficiently without causing discomfort, I.e. the medium soft foam is comfortable but let's in to much sound and therefore reduces the sound experience. The larger soft foam gives superb isolation and sound quality but causes pain with prolonged listening (two albums or more).

Furthermore the over ear wire fitting is initially complicated to get right and some might find uncomfortable but if you persevere the benefit of quality sound is a worthy reward if you can find a fit that does not hurt your ears.

NEGATIVE FOLLOW UP
My cable broke / has a fault by the jack plug one month after receiving them. I have treated them like a new born child, never coiling, twisting or folding the cable in any way but the wire to the left speaker cuts out when you touch the cable next to the jack plug.

I cannot believe the ridiculous lack of build quality of £40+ cable (replacement cost).

5.0 out of 5 stars A Shure Bet, 3 July 2013
Amazon Customer (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

That leaves you with two basic choices: in-ear or over-ear.

IE headphones are the best noise-cancelling option; that is, you will not hear anything else. I cannot emphasise how important this is for the sound quality. The air-tight seal will allow you to play the music at a comfortable volume and improves the bass response. Altruistically, this also means that much less noise is getting out allowing you to listen to your guilty pleasures with nothing more than a cheeky smirk suggesting the truth. Whilst you may be able to fit more/bigger drivers in the OE units, the supremacy of the in-ear clarity for the low end is key.

And for practicality, IEs win hands-down. They don't fall out of your ears when you are running or working out, and they are aesthetically more subtle and, in my opinion, less geeky looking.

Shure are mainly concerned with the production of professional studio equipment (i.e. monitors, microphones, mixers and the like). Their foray into consumer electronics stemmed from the natural evolution of what they called 'monitors' mainly designed for the use of DJs in clubs and producers in noisy studios into earphones for the noisy commuters.

Over the last few years i have tried these: Klipsch Image S4 Headphones, Monster Cable Turbine PRO High Performance Multilingual In-Ear Speakers - Copper, Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Ear-canal Phones - Black, Beats by Dr. Dre In Ear Tour Headphones with Control Talk for Apple Devices - Black/Red.

And I have used the Shure 215s (previously E2Cs), 315s and 535s.

For value for money and sound quality i think the best choice is the Shure 215s and if money is not an issue- get two sets of 215s (maybe one pair for exercise and one for home and travel usage).

I would have to say its very difficult to tell much difference between the 215s and the 315s but the triple-driver system of the 535s does result in a much more powerful bass punch. Unfortunately this is at the expense of the high end; which can at times become very overwhelmed with complex acoustic and rock music, coming across as tinny. It is with that in mind that I feel the sharp increase in price to the 535s would not be justified if you are listening to a lot high end music, whereas if you primarily listen to deep electronic music you may notice an improvement in quality. But worth the 4X price increase? I don't think so.

Here are some pointers:

- Shures come with foam and plastic buds, each in three different sizes, its pretty important that you spend a while trying each and finding out which suits you best. At first this is not going to feel natural at all, especially if you have never used in-ear headphones before. Give it some time and within a week it will feel right. Also, note that the wire is designed to rest over your ear. Again this is unnatural at first but in time it will feel much more supportive and you will wonder why you ever had the wire tugging down by your earlobe before. My preference is the plastic buds as i sweat alot when i run (as a note these earphones are just amazing for running (a) because they never fall out and stay solidly air-tight (b) because these bass loving headphones work just a treat with trance music and any electronic music (my choice of running music)).

- The actual units are removable from the wire if you pull lightly in a perpendicular direction away from the wire. This is really important. If you are outside the warranty and the wire breaks you don't need to pay for the whole set - you may be able to find them online or just call the Shure service department and they will send you out one for roughly £30. The wire is not specific to the model. As a side note, I have never had a technical issue with the units, it has always been the wire. In the past it was often the curvature around the ear that wore away but Shure have since reinforced this area.

- Treat third party sellers with caution. Due to the high-end nature of the product Shure have brought together an anti-counterfeiting initiative; this has been in response to a wave of fakes that are flooding the internet. Tell-tale signs are the combination of 'Chinese Warehouses' and a substantial reduction from the RRP. Remember if it seems to good to be true, then it probably isn't. Check Shure's website for an authorised distirbutor list - Shure will deal with these warranty claims directly - or take a product that is fulfilled by Amazon. The issue with third party sellers on Amazon is that they may be unable to verify where they get their stock from. That is to say that they are not purchasing via known wholesalers of Shure's and so they don't know if they are grey imports. This doesn't necessarily mean that you are completely without a warranty just that you will need to go back to the seller. They should have no issue replacing your earphones if they are purchasing via authorised distribution channels. Keep all receipts for the warranty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 18 Aug. 2013
I'm a practical music lover, I've invested in a nice set-up and plonked down a few hundred euro on HD650s and accompanying Xonar D2X to have high quality sound at home, but unfortunately this set-up is neither cheap enough nor portable enough to bring to the gym with me. Instead I relied on whatever headphones were lying around the house (usually a mixture of new apple earphones and cheap skullcandys). After breaking 5-6 pairs within a year through wear and tear I decided that it would be cheaper to invest in a durable pair of headphones that might last a year, if I was lucky.

Not only have these Shures lasted a year of intense gym work, they've also become my constant companions; at home, at work, running, you name it. They are FANTASTIC. There are more than a few reviews here which highlight just how great these sound, and I won't flatter myself by thinking I could do them justice with my writing. Instead, take this as a "lifestyle" review of them.

These earphones have amazing sound. They're extremely comfortable (I never bothered to change to default medium foam earpieces, I can't see how they could be better). They were cheap, have proven more than durable (Kevlar reinforced cord is surely helping here), and I can honestly say they are one of the best online purchases I've made.

If I were to order them again (and I would) I would change just one thing, and that would be to get them in Black. The clear earbuds look great but the cable has a copper-ish tint running through it and looks a bit gaudy. Just something to be aware of and certainly not something that detracts from the product in any way. Completely deserving of a 5 star review.

2.0 out of 5 stars Superb sound, but very poor build quality., 9 Oct. 2012
I'm writing this review while in the process of returning these earphones for the third time.

They are great earphones, the best I have ever heard. They are incredibly comfortable, and never fall out thanks to the way that the wire curves around the back of the ear. I can leave the other reviews on here to describe how great they sound, so I'll explain my issues that I've had.

I think it was around 9 months into owning these when one of the ear pieces began to fail, going crackly and losing bass. And just as I was about to return them, the headphone jack completly broke off inside my iPod. It was retrievable, but they had to be returned.

Then after about 2 months, the head phone jack failed again, leaving the left hand side without audio.

So now again after about 4 months, the headphone jack has failed again, this time the right hand side is no receiving signal.

I have not been using these for any serious sporting activity which could cause early failures, and I have Always kept them in their provided case when not in use. So I can only think that the superior build quality provided by Shure is not actually the case.

So after a little over a year and a half, I have had to buy other headphones as these earphones, as great as they could be seem to be doomed to fall apart too often to be worth the irritation through ownership.

The customer service people are fairly quick to respond and the warranty return procedure is quick enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mindblowing, 23 July 2011
I have always been a huge fan on Shure since I first purchased my E4C's a few years back.

Even the E4C's with their single drivers blew me away, but as was frequently reported, the cable (on the E4C's) would wear away and the connection would break - this happened twice, but fortunately both times Shure were absolutely fantastic. I called their customer helpline, explained the problem and the helpful person on the other end simply said to pop them in the post and they'd send out a new pair. No arguments, no excuses or backtracking. Both times they complied willingly. In fact the second time round they replaced them with the new upgraded model SE310's.

Based on my fantastic experience with Shure, once the connection broke again on my SE310's a couple of years later [this time outside my warranty period], I decided to stick with them and upgrade to the SE535. The design of these alone suggests that Shure realised that in previous models they'd been sending out rather too many free replacements - so the SE535's have kevlar coated DETACHABLE cables. Genius. This means that when I fall outside of my warranty period again, IF the cable busts, I'll be able to get a replacement cable instead of forking out what is admittedly enough hard cash to give most people a nasty chin bruise as it thuds to the floor. (Most people who find out how much I spent on earphones do think I'm absolutely mental... BUT they haven't actually HEARD how amazing music CAN sound, which is exactly what these earphones achieve)

So this brings me nicely onto my next and most important part of my review; the sound... This, after all my other waffly guff, is what you are really here to read about.
Let me put it this way, I regularly commute on the tube (the subway trains) in London which is generally rather a noisy affair. Loud clattery trains, and unnecessarily loud tannoy announcements.
Many of the 'iPhone headphone' wearing parade get around this problem by whacking up the volume so loud you wonder why there aren't spots of blood dribbling out their lug-holes. It also means that all the 'non head/earphone-wearing' crowd around them are subjected to what sounds like a distant train transporting a cage of angry insects.

This is NOT the case with the SE535's. Of the wide selection of ear fittings you're given, I personally like to use the foam earplug variety. When these are snugly fitted, I could play the loudest angriest most 'GRRRRRR!' metal song EVER and, as far as everyone around me is concerned, I could be listening to "4 minutes 33" by John Cage.
Further to this, selfishly ignoring the (lack of) experience of others around me, MY OWN experience is phenomenal.

I hear basically NOTHING but the music. I will be stood on the tube platform and a tube train will come screaming into the station with all its clatter, horrible metal-on-metal screeching noises and some tedious platform announcement booming away overhead and I am able to close my eyes and pretend that I am standing in the same room as the song artist(s). The sound is SO clear, the frequency response is awesome.

On the bass level, it's actually quite surreal because when you turn it up a bit on a bassy song, it sounds like you're stood near some über-watt mega subwoofer where normally you would FEEL the bass waves rippling through your body. Unfortunately Shure's current earphone technology doesn't yet provide the physical body-wide bass ripply experience other than in your ears, but my goodness it's awesome.

In short: Amazing. Buy them. Eat baked beans every day for a month with the small change left from your paycheck. At least your ears won't be bleeding.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Shure thing....., 28 Sept. 2012
R. Whitlock (London) - See all my reviews
Now that my top notch Bose earphones have 'gone west' after years of good and faithful service because the jack pin has burst its wires, it was time to invest in a new pair of top rated earphones to accompany my Cowan S9 MP4 player. So I settled for these, after reading some good reviews (a) because they were reduced in price and I adore a bargain and (b) because I had £26 Amazon voucher to help shoulder another sizeable chunk of the outlay, bringing the price for me to around £47 - a snippet for such great quality highly regarded headphones that retail at nearly £100 'squid.'

At first I was dismayed at the awkwardness of having to learn the mechanics of inserting them - with the lead near the buds to curve and then behind the tops of your ears, whilst inserting the buds into your ears, which is a tricky manouvre at first. But I soon got use to it, after a few minutes of practice and a few expletives later. Now I find them very comfortable and not at all difficult to fit even when grappling with the impediments of having long hair and wearing glasses too, which is hardly helpful.

The sound quality for these earphones is really good as long as you push the jack hard into your audio machine's jack socket. Otherwise, the earphones tend to crackle like a bag of crisps and you might just get sound through one earpiece and a very faint sound or nothing at all coming through the other. The sound quality (with my superior Cowen BBE technology) is really pure and true and without too much base, which was an issue I had with my Bose phones despite the sound being great for those too, which is why I hung onto them for so long - rubbish earbuds or not. The other great thing about these earphones is that the rubber or foam earpieces (they provide a good selection of both in different sizes) fix very tightly onto the ends of the earphone and can't fall off, no matter what. This is so unlike my Bose earphones, which had loosely applied transparent slanted buds that loosely slotted onto the tips of each earphone and had an annoying tendency of falling off, resulting in a mad and frustrating rummage through my handbag to see where they had disappeared to. The Shure wire is also tangle free, even though it tends to look a bit scruffy against dark clothing - rather like a long white shoelace, which hardly accompanies a smart black Cowan MP4 player. I should have purchased the black ones.

All told, these are great earphones to own, so long as you don't mind the mechanics of fitting them in as well as over your ears instead of just ramming the buds into your ears without a second thought and you don't want a too base orientated sound. I can't yet comment on the durability of these earphones yet, having read some reviewers' comments who claimed they had to replace theirs after a relatively short time of owing them. I've only had mine a week, and so I'll report back on that matter later on if I have anything more to say that is worth commenting on.

The only reason I haven't given them a five star rating is because they are a bit unuser friendly if you are in a hurry, and I always am, aren't you?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic upgrade for Iphone 5, 1 Oct. 2012
Having just bought an Iphone 5 i was a little disappointed with the audio output and quality through my phonak earphones. I've had shure earphones in the past and decided to give them another whirl. Have to say the best investment i have made. External noise isolation is second to none. The build quality is very good and i have used these for running every evening since i've had them.

The sound is clear, not overly bright with good bass extension which is not over powering when listening to dub step, trance etc. Its agile but with enough oomph to satisfy my bass needs. They sound better day by day so do need a few days to burn in. I've found i no longer have to turn either my iPhone or iPod nano up to max volume settings as there appear to be quite easy to drive.

Would highly recommend these earphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding acoutstics, 13 Jun. 2013
Let me start by saying i never leave reviews, but felt compelled to leave one for these earphones.

I've tried Phonak PFE 012, Sound Magic E30, Ajays four, Sennheiser CX 300 and the Bose mie2 over the last 3 years. My Phonaks broke within 7 months of purchase and the Bose set were good but not a great fit and certainly not worth the £90 price tag. The rest were adequate. I wanted to buy these for around a year, however they never seemed to get the best reviews so i've tried just about every other set.

I've just received the Shure Se 215s and can say without a doubt they are the best earphones I have ever had the pleasure of owning.

The fit - Not difficult to master. I'm using the foam tips and they provide a great seal. The fit is similar to the Phonaks and means that you get a rich base and very minimal outside interference.

The look - They look fantastic! (my personal taste)

The quality - The cable feels like you could use it to go rock climbing, very robust and due to it having a thick outer plastic sheath they don't seem to get tangled the same as other earphones. The earplugs themselves are made of hard plastic and have a swivel action at the joint of the earphones where the cable joins. This should stop the wire fraying and allow them to fit properly in the ear.

The sound - Waw! Great volume, great detail and fantastic base. I've tried various tracks, Blurred Lines (Robin Thike), Hurt (Jonny Cash), Back to Black (AC/DC), A Little Respect (Aretha FranKlin), Bass Line Junkie (Dizzee Rascal) and they all sound fantastic!

I'm not an audiophile and couldn't tell you much about why these earphones sound so good, but what i can say is they are the best fitting and best sounding earphones I've ever had the pleasure of owning. Buy them!

**********after a month*****************

Not so great, I've been wearing them running. The phones are intermittent and the right phone completely stopped. Removed the cable and observed the metal to have turned green! Think that sweat plus non sealed phones = broken earphones. Sent back for a full refund. Very disappointed.

Great sounding, great fitting and look good, not great for exercise though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality headphones, 11 Jun. 2013
I bought these after deciding that I didn't want to keep buying endless pairs of Sennheisers which were constantly failing after about 4-6 months. I spend a lot of time out of the house and so I use headphones for extended periods of time, so comfort and durability are just as important as sound quality for me.

First, and probably most importantly, sound quality: these are definitely the best sounding earphones I've ever used. Good depth of tones although at lower volumes they can lack slightly on bass for my liking, although it depends on what you're listening to in all honesty. I have quite an eclectic music taste so I can say that they'll handle anything from Ludovico Einaudi to Daft Punk to Metallica without much trouble. Overall I'd give sound quality 9/10. The only drawback in terms of sound quality, while it is truly excellent for the price, it takes some effort to get the best out of these headphones, as getting the right fit from the sleeves requires some trail and error. It is worth the effort as when you have it sorted because not only do they sound excellent but the noise cancellation is also very good - perfect if you're planning on getting something to use for commuting.

This brings me neatly on to comfort. They are very comfortable, I usually wear them when travelling, or when I'm in university. I've worn them for around 3 hours every day for the last 6 months and haven't experienced any issues on the comfort front. These come with a selection of three silicon and three foam earbud sleeves and without a shadow of a doubt the foam ones are better in terms of both creating a good acoustic seal, and in terms of comfort so I would go with those. Unfortunately for me, the medium buds are just slightly too small for my ears which makes getting a good acoustic seal that little bit harder, but short of paying for custom molded sleeves there's nothing I can do about it. All in all, a very comfortable set of headphones.

In terms of durability, these have held up very well considering the amount of use and abuse these headphones have been through. They still sound pretty much new, and the cable is holding up well. My only niggle on that front is that the cable twists itself together when I'm using it which is a bit annoying , and I'm sure will probably kill it eventually, however since the cable is replaceable (albeit at ~£50 for a new one from their website, although I imagine you could find it cheaper elsewhere) this isn't too much of a problem.

Overall these are excellent for the price, the sound quality is brilliant, they are comfortable over long periods and definitely worth the money. The lack of bass at lower volumes is annoying, and the awkward fit with my ears doesn't do it any favours. If I'm being picky a 4.5/5 would be about right

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm no audiofile, 14 Mar. 2013
Therefore I say that there are many other people reviewing these earphones who are better qualified than I to comment on the sound quality. However, I will mention the sound quality briefly, I know that there is a burn in time required to get earphones of this quality to their best. I just started listening right away, they were , I don't know, bright, harsh maybe, really just too much sharp sounding things going on. After around 20 to 30 hours of listening I really started to notice a big improvement, and then I started to appreciate what great clarity of sound these earphones produce. I never really knew what seperation meant before, but I might now, the vocals in particular stand out amazingly clearly. The sound though, that's subjective and your opinion of the sound will most likely depend on what type of music you are listening to, what quality of system playing and amping the sound and kbit or kbyte rate of your recordings.
I am mainly playing electronic and rock music on a low budget mp3 player at WAV lossless quality. I know that a better player and amp would do wonders for the sound, but it's still very good. The also make a nice sound environment watching blurays on my laptop, again using just the internal soundcard.
I came from a pair of Sennheiser IE8s which I loved, but i didn't treat them great, so one earpiece stopped working. I considered getting the IE80s but thought I would try the Shures out for a change. Some reviews say they are not great for banging rock and thumping tunes, some reviews say they will play anything well. Well, they do play everything well, just in a different way that the IE8s do. I prefer the Thumpy IE8s and can live with a slight lack of clarity, but you may prefer the clear seperation of the SE425s.
So, I'm not knocking off a point as I prefer a different kind of sound, the Shure SE425s produce a 5 star sound, no question.
The reason that I am giving only 4 stars is from my own personal owner / user experience. I put earphones, and earplugs! in and out of my ears all day long, well quiet often for sure. I like the process to be as smooth and cause the least agitation as possible. I admit that I am easily annoyed ! Putting the IE8s into my ears was only a little annoying, the cable was quite soft and not too thick, just about right and pushing the earphones themselves in wasn't too enraging / soul destroying. The SE425s on the other hand have a thick plastic cable, not necessarily cheap and nasty more industrial strength. The earphones swivel around the hinge to prevent damaging the cable at that point, however, it's easy for me to get confused (I am easily confused) when trying to insert them into my lug holes properly. Therefore I find the art of putting them on properly to be a chore and it tends to kill my buzz man.
So that's my main gripe with the Shures, it might not be a problem for you. Overall I am happy that I decided to give the SE425s a go, the sound clarity is spectacular, the build quality is great, just the cable lets it down for me a little bit, I know that you can get upgrade cables, but they are a bit pricy, but that is one possible solution, so I can't complain too much :)