Colour Name: Deluxe Card Game|Change

on 5 July 2012
My friends and I were always interested in the RPG genre and we finally decided to take the plunge and look for a table top game. After searching for a while I stumbled upon munchkin. This seemed to meet our demands. Nobody of us really has much time where we can meet so the game can't take too long: check! Every game we played was about 1 hour long. Is the game easy to learn? Yes, pretty much. Once you can get going you really start to get the hang out of it.

You need a fine balance between helping your friends and betraying them. You might need help to get to victory and level up, but you also need to prevent that your friends reach level 10. I remember that my friend was fighting a monster and I absolutely didn't want him to win. I proceeded to put every monster enhancer I had on the table asking him in a challenging voice if he still wanted to fight. He smiled at me and say: "Well.......why don't you fight it?" he puts down a card which made him choose what person had to fight the monster in his place. I had to fight the monster that I brought to a very strong level and I had nothing myself. I gave my friend a slow clap and tried to run away.

We had fun and we'll definitively play this again
on 1 July 2015
Little disappointed with my copy - Steve Jackson has clearly been doing some cost cutting which has undermined the 'deluxe' nature of the deluxe version.

The deluxe version used to include 6 plastic munchkin figurines and 6 player cards. The player cards were useful as you would have one in front of each player with the equipped race, class and equipment cards. The player card could be flipped to show whether your hero is currently male or female.

But Steve Jackson decided to save a few pence and replace the plastic figures and player cards with 12 card tokens which attach to plastic stands. I use the word attach in the loosest terms because the ones I have offer such a weak grip that the card tokens fall out as you move them around the board - they are pretty rubbish to be honest.

You get 12 player tokens - a male and female in each of the six colours. I suspect Steve Jackson has decided that you can tell whether you are male or female from the token on the board so you don't need the 6 player cards. This is true I suppose, but it would be nicer to have the player cards because the tokens are very small and it it is easy to forget which sex you are and use an item that should not be used.

Steve Jackson doesn't help matters because there are still plenty of pictures, including his own website and Amazon that depict the deluxe set in its original form - with plastic figures and player cards.

The board is still very good.

The game is simple and shallow - treat it as a 'beer and pretzels' game and nothing more and you will be fine.

If I were buying again - might be inclined to buy the standrd set - because other than the board, the deluxe version is a disappointment.
My grandson, 9, received this game as a present last year, and we all had so much fun playing the game, that my 11 year ok'd granddaughter wanted the game. We are a family who enjoys playing games and board games. We started playing when my children were young. I used to play Monopoly and Parcheesi when I was young, and we would play for hours. Every time we get together, we like to play board games, and this has become a family favorite.

This game is fairly simple to learn, and there are not too many pieces. There are cards, pawns, player cards, game board, rules, and die. There is a game board to keep cards in place, and colored pawns that move on the game board as you level up. A card goes with each pawn, to make it easy to remember who is what color. Munchkin is a card game about dungeon adventure. This is a fun, family game, and I would not put an upper age level on it. I played the game with an eighty year old.

Recommended. prisrob 12-17-14
on 16 January 2014
There is an old board game, that is back out for buying, called Dungeon, made originally by TSR and now sold by Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast. It is a simple game of players going around a dungeon, kicking in doors, facing monsters and if victorious winning their treasure. The first to reach a certain amount of treasure, dictated by their class, and return to the great hall at the centre where all the players start, wins the game. The game is not co-operative, but neither can the players do anything to impede or harm the other players. Its a race to the finish. The game is designed for younger players but for the whole family to get a taste of dungeoneering.

Why do I bring this game up? because in many ways Munchkin is a parody of Dungeon. In essence the goal is the same. Explore a dungeon, kick in doors, defeat monsters and get their treasure. First to tenth level wins the game. But whereas Dungeon is a fun light game of players racing to be first, Munchkin has players actively aiding other characters when its in their best interests and also aiding the monsters when it suits their purposes as well. Where Dungeon allows for no player on player interference, Munchkin not only allows for it it actively encourages it.

The game is at its heart a card game with cards depicting monsters to be faced, along with various traps, items, and special effects. Races and classes are also included in the game for players to become as the game progresses if they choose to. The cards in themselves are all incredibly humorous and its clear that the creators know the sorts of games they are parodying and leave no stone unturned for a bad pun. The artwork is of a high quality and evocative, in other words, the pics are damned funny.

If you want a light, easy, very tongue in cheek game of dungeon crawling and backstabbing, then this is the game for you. Egos need not apply and should be safely left at the door while the rest of you just accepts the madness within. Go forth, quest and may you find the chainsaw of bloody dismemberment.
on 10 June 2015
I feel so cheated! Reviews I've read, videos I have seen, all shows that the Deluxe-version comes with plastic figurines. I was quite disappointed when I finally bought the game to find that the figurines was replaces cardboard standees. So much for deluxe. Buh, Steve Jackson Games, low blow!

Please note that the two-star review is not a rating for gameplay but only for the so called "Deluxe"-version.
on 16 August 2013
This game.

Seriously. This game.

Buy it. You and 5 friends. Couple of beers (If you're of age, of course!). Prepare yourself to slowly mistrust everyone at the table. Games can last anywhere from 10 minutes to up to an hour. Cards are good quality and the art is hilarious (As well as the card text) if you like fun. You need this game. And you do like fun, don't you?
on 22 November 2015
This game is excellent. My 12 year old son loves it and insists we play it rather than him playing on the Xbox/tablet/computer which is unheard of. It's a simple premise; you move up a level by fighting and beating monsters (many with great names) using the skills/powers in your hand. Others can help you. You can put curses on other players to help you win. If you enjoyed the Steve Jackson books as a child where you moved through the book depending on the direction you choose fighting monsters and gathering treasures (Warlock of Firetop mountain etc) this game is great. I assume it's meant for kids but the whole family enjoy playing this.
on 6 March 2013
Great game which is easy to pick up, and can be played nicely or nastily! With my friends we tend to play quite aggresively, throwing curses and extra monsters at each other, whilst with my family we prefer to play where everyone can see everyone elses cards, and we are much more cooperative in killing the monsters!

So its great for adults and older kids alike! This version is nice as it features coloured cards and also a little board and figures, to keep an eye on your level. With the standard version you don't get this and have to use coins or counters or whatever you can scrounge to use as level markers for each person.
on 2 February 2015
Munchkin is a great Dungeons and Dragons parody game, full of quirky humour and adorable graphics on the cards. This is a must game for any would-be geek/nerd.

(Please note that the base game can be bought without the deluxe version, it just depends if you want the extras or not.)

This version of Munchkin provides the base game card deck with character cards, 6 coloured plastic character tokens and a very simple 1-10 board to illustrate game progression. As mentioned you can buy it without the board or extras but play is a little more straight forward with them. There is space in the box to add in expansions but it could get messy. Thankfully each expansion to Munchkin is identifiable on the cards (you might have to scan through the deck to check).

The game is both simple to dive into and great fun with great replayabilty. If you are a stickler for rules they come with the game and are dowloadable from the official Munchkin website. You play as a "Munchkin", who for all purposes is a generic treasure hunting Human character. Equip him/her with armour and weapons, change them into a thief or a cleric or wizard etc and even change their race from Dwarf to Elf and so on, using cards you have from your hand. Then "knock" on a door to find out what is in the next dungeon. The aim of the game is to get your character to level 10, simply by battling and defeating monsters. Of course it isn't as simpe as have more power than said monster. Find a monster who is too powerful to defeat and you can use potions/spells or abilities or even call on a friend (who may or may not help). Or maybe you can easily defeat the monster, in which case your friend could chose to help the monster defeat you. Things get ugly as you get closer to winning and it's never as straight forward as have the most powerful character. What I love is that even if someone is miles ahead they can come crashing down very easily.

Game times can vary from 10mins to 1 hour. The more people you have the more competitive and longer the games can last. My experience has been that the various add ons are well worth a look and don't forget to checkout forums and other online stuff for variant rules etc.

Buy this if:
1) You like quirky role playing games that make fun of the genre
2) You have more than 2 friends as above
3) Even if you don't like the above but want something different from Monopoly or Trivial pursuit
4) You may be willing to lose hours playing and replaying

Don't buy this if:
1) You have no sense of humour
2) You really don't have more than 1 other friend
3) Monopoly is you favourtie game ever and there's nothing to beat it...
on 31 August 2013
There are already so many reviews of this game all over the Internet that I don't feel the need to embellish on them any more. As the title of my review suggests, this is a fantastically fun game, with plenty of silly moments of humour to keep you and your friends amused. However, all it takes is one person to get annoyed by the cards they are getting, and all of the sudden the worst will come out in you and you'll thoroughly enjoy putting them through the worst game they've ever played. Be careful of this, because this is a game you want people to come back to, and whilst it is supposed to be back-handed and unfair, it's also supposed to be light and fun. Gamers too often forget this, and start treating it like a serious competition to win, and honestly, the winning doesn't really matter. It's the joy of getting there, the thrill of 'swapping levels' with another player just as they reach the top. This game is all about the journey to the top, rather than winning the game.

A great game for light-hearted gaming groups, and worth expanding upon with at least one expansion set. I've found 3-4 players to be the sweet spot for this game, and if you pad it out with one of the expansions, it makes for a more balanced, and more devious playthrough.