5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Awesome

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to his usual standard
Published 23 months ago by MadWoolley

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Awesome, 11 Jun 2011
This review is from: England Keep My Bones (Audio CD)
I, a Wessex born southern boy have been a fan of Mr Turner's since the days of the Railway. Whilst his last album was a foray into the heavier side of life; England Keep My Bones is classic Frank folk through and through, him doing what he does best. There is not a weak song in here. We have personal lyrics and exquisite guitar. This is absolutely an album up there with, what I think is his best, Love Ire and Song. Frank is a God.Love Ire and Song

5.0 out of 5 stars the guy's a legend. FACT., 7 Oct 2011
This review is from: England Keep My Bones (Audio CD)
I must admit to never have heard of Frank Turner until this years festivals.
I was just flicking through the channels and saw Frank's set from Reading/Leeds and was blown away, and I went out and ordered this CD.
I was not disappointed and went on to but the other three studio albums.
Having read a lot of other reviews, I feel a little bit of shame that i didnt hear of this guy before, he is most definitely the best artist of his kind at the moment and the songs he writes are truly inspiring, melodic, cheeky and every other superlative that you can think of. Its intelligent and moving and makes you want to have a beer and realise that it aint so bad after all.

Eulogy, will be on my headstone when I am done on this world !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lyrics and perfect for a road trip, 25 Jun 2011
This review is from: England Keep My Bones (Audio CD)
Now I am not going to pretend that I have been following Frank Turner since he first appeared on stage, singing in his Junior school end of term play. However, I am going to wax lyrical about the greatness of his latest offering. I stumbled upon his wonderful live presence whilst waiting for James at last years' Latitude and he ended up as my highlight of the day.

As for this album, it is full of clever lyrics and choruses that you just want to shout out of the window of your car as you fly along a dull dual carriageway (within the legal speed limits ofcourse!). It is also full of historical references-which I love-few albums have a song about William Rufus in them (English Curse).

At the risk of upsetting the purist fans (but for the benefit of those who have yet to buy a Frank Turner album) this album is reminiscent of Billy Bragg's album about Englishness...with a touch of the Levellers' early albums. Heavier, and not quite as good as "Love, Ire & Song" but still brimming with sing-along anthemic classics. "I Still Believe" deserves to be sung by a crowd of thousands whilst songs like "Rivers", "Song for Eva Mae"(bonus song on the limited edition version) and "I am Disappeared" can be enjoyed at home, with a pint of ale, roaring fire and tear in one's eye. "Redemption" is what those prone to emotional openness would call 'beautiful' and just another facet of this varied album.

I was going to give this album 4 stars as it is less amazing than "Love, Ire & Song"...then I thought that this was unfair. This is Frank Turner's second best album. I will give "Love, Ire and Song" 6 out of 5!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound of the summer, 18 April 2012
Sara (Lincoln, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: England Keep My Bones (Audio CD)
I loved 'Wessex Boy' when I first heard it, but I'm not one to buy an album on the back of hearing one track. But then when the first play of 'I Still Believe' reached my ears, I was straight on Amazon. So glad I bought it - one of those CDs where you turn up the volume a bit with each new track, until there just is no more up! It's inspiring, it's patriotic, it makes you move, and 'English Curse' is an absolute goosebumps song. Turner's voice is strong and passionate, and I'm off to find some of his other albums. Brilliant CD :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Mr Turner, 18 Nov 2012
This review is from: England Keep My Bones (Audio CD)
Great opening, fantastic opening songs that set you up for a journey from 1066, Dark of the New Forest" all the way to the contemplation of death and how to spread yourself.
Yes some songs are growers but that what makes it a brilliant album, after you listen to the music then come the lyrics.
Highly recommended for anyone wanting something different and exciting, Billy Bragg meets THe Levellers!!
Rick M

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to his usual standard, 31 July 2012
This review is from: England Keep My Bones (Audio CD)
Everything I had ever purchased by Frank Turner previously had been great, which is probably why I took so long to decide to buy "England Keep My Bones" - I was worried that it wouldn't live up to my high expectations...and I was right to be worried. Don't get me wrong - there are some very good songs on this album, but it just doesn't have that special something that Frank Turner is usually so good at producing - the feeling it gives you isn't quite as deep as it was on "Sleep is for the Week" or "Love, Ire and Song". Some of it feels a bit fake, like he's trying too hard. But there are also a handful of absolute gems to be found - "Rivers", "English Curse" and "If I Ever Stray" are fantastic examples of what Frank Turner can produce when he's on top form.
Overall it's a good album - nothing more, nothing less.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets better every time you hear it!, 31 Aug 2011
This review is from: England Keep My Bones (Audio CD)
Came across Frank at the Cabridge Folk Festival and my friends and I agree he was one of the top acts of the whole weekend. Love this record. He's a talented guy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Frank Turner - Protest & Survive, 4 Aug 2011
Red on Black - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: England Keep My Bones (Audio CD)
Frank Turner has reached a crossroads as this album demonstrates. On the one hand he wants to maintain his loveable folk punk poet persona while on the other you suspect he wants to be a rock star of Springsteen proportions with punch the air rock anthems of the highest order. His socialist protest songs are truly admirable and yes we all know that he comes from a very privileged background but them so did Joe Strummer. At the end of the day its about commitment and Frank gives it all in terms of his live act, relentless touring and his championing of good causes. More than any other singer since Billy Bragg the music of Frank Turner emphasizes a distinct egalitarian form of "Englishness" and draws on a folk tradition of protest and dissent which is able to tap into a wide audience. As such Turner is proud of his linage and sings with real passion in "Rivers" about the need to "place your trust into the sea/It's kept us safe for centuries/It shaped our shores and steadily/Its care has brought us, come/When I die, I hope to be buried out in English seas/So all that then remains of me/Will lap against these shores". There is nothing wrong with this at all and as someone from an equally proud Welsh background its great to see an English singer thinking deeply about cultural heritage which doesn't involve wrapping himself in the Union Jack. That said the folk protest of "English curse" harking back to William's invasion in 1066 and its impact on rural England has a sort of "Hey nonny nonny" finger in your ear solemnity which gives folk a bad name. Similarly while the preachy "I still believe" can be located in Guthrie style protest it is not really that original, neither is the celebratory atheist hymn "Glory hallelujah".

The good news alternatively is that when Turner worries less about his location in the protest genre and starts to fully concentrate on the songs he has the ability to write storming music. The clearest example is "I am disappeared" which goes well beyond his usual basic acoustic style instrumentations and with the employment of a band behind him he pens one of the best rock songs of 2011. Its influences are clearly drawn from Springsteen and Craig Finn but it is here that his Englishness is used to construct something new and original namely a propulsive road rock song full of local references and place names which is a powerful beast. The swirling joyous music that is "Peggy sang the blues" equally shows that when Turner is not proletysing he can write superb pop songs which many of contemporaries would envy through deep shades of green. My point here is simple and centres on the fact that there certainly is a need in these troubled times for someone to "tell it like it is" and "afflict the comfortable". Yet it is often the case that the greatest protest songs are not the in your face Frank Turner style anthems but deeply thoughtful and shatteringly powerful songs like "Elvis Costello's "Shipbuilding" or the landmark originality of the Specials era defining "Ghost town". In large parts "England take my bones" is a great passionate album full of fervour and heart. But in the famous words of the teacher "Frank Turner could do better" and that will mean less overt populism and more deep thoughtful reflection. Frank Turner has a truly great album in him but this isn't it .......yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Yet?, 8 July 2011
This review is from: England Keep My Bones (Audio CD)
This is an awesome combination of angry shouty punk that still sounds very Frank Turner, like in I am Disappeared, but also some great folky Englishy songs like the ones from Love Ire & Song, like Rivers and Wessex Boy. And then there's Glory Hallelujah, which is an epic atheist tune and possibly my favourite...Then again, my favourite changes every time I listen to the album. The only one off the Rock 'n Roll EP is I Still Believe, which sounds amazing on the record, but even better live when there's a bunch of you yelling it. :D It's definitely getting the deluxe version, because the extra tracks are just as good as the ones on the album. If you have been listening to Frank Turner for a while and like his stuff, buy this album. If you like folk/punk/bluesy rocky stuff, buy this album. If you like music you should get it. I promise you will enjoy it. A LOT. :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album!, 5 July 2011
xboxwidow (Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: England Keep My Bones (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Frank Turner's for a few years and really enjoy his previous albums. But this feels like he may just have grown up a bit! There's a good mix of songs on here - "Peggy Sang the Blues" is a great song about his gran, and "Redemption" is a great track which tells story. "Wessex Boy" is probably my current favourite on the album. This is a must for those who like their music original, well written and just a little bit different!

England Keep My Bones
England Keep My Bones by Frank Turner (Audio CD - 2014)