4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised
I must admit, I was slightly disappointed when I first listened to this album. What initially drew me to Birdy was the stark simplicity of her singles, which have mostly consisted of just vocals and paino. In the album, I felt that the producers had added far too much backing music, almost to the point of drowning her out.

However, on subsequent listens, I...
Published on 11 Nov. 2011 by Mama P

3.0 out of 5 stars Average.
It's a nice album if a bit repetitive after a while. Wasn't too expensive so it doesn't bother me. Few good tracks though, just some are a bit boring. Lovely voice.
Published on 14 May 2013 by Georgia Ralph

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent debut, 12 July 2012
Linden Arden (Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birdy (Audio CD)
This debut from Birdy has to be my favourite/most played album of 2011.

From the first track '1901' through to the last 'Terrible Love' there's not one 'filler'. I have read comments that other people have probably selected the songs (all are 'covers' with the exception of 'Without A Word') for her to record.

Well, "so what"?!

I (a grandfather, just for the record, as one one-star reviewer seems to have a hangup about age - I'll bet Bob Harris is also a grandfather and he plays some of the best and widest selection of contemporary music on the radio) have Bon Iver's 'Skinny Love' on album which is a great track and Birdy certainly 'does it justice'.

Hard to pick a favourite but 'The District Sleeps Alone Tonight' must be right up there.

The production is superb, Birdy's singing excellent and her piano playing is also very good. It remains to be seen whether she can come up with another gem - of covers or originals (who cares which?) but if you want just excellent music by a (mature) 15-year old (from Lymington, Hampshire) then look no further.

Dirk Bogarde (her great uncle, apparently) would have been proud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a beautiful voice..., 23 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Birdy (Audio CD)
This album is a collection of great covers from the likes of "Bon Iver" to French alternative rock band "Pheonix", so right there you will probably know that this young girl (she is only 16!) has a great and somewhat eclectic taste in music. If you do not share her taste in music, then this album might not be for you.

To begin with I must praise Birdy's phenominal voice. She doesn't rely on some "funky" dance beat or overly enthusiastic lyrical balad to engage her listener, she relies on her capacity to express profound emotion through voice and instrument (piano, which she plays herself) - and she does so successfuly.

Don't get me wrong, she won't be for everyone. Some might object to her because she does only covers, but at only sixteen her career has leaps and bounds to come, in my opinion.

If you want a taste of her musical style before committing to the album then listen to People Help the People and Young Blood - they showcase her voice perfectly.

100% recommended from an overly enthusiatic Birdy fan who stumbled upon this voice based on amazon recommendations!

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking Birdy..., 18 Jan. 2012
T. Dar (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This is just a sublime masterpiece from such a young and promising talent. With one of the most beautiful and haunting (in a breathtaking rather than spooky way) voices you will ever hear, Birdy is an artist who makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. 'People, Help The People' is just staggeringly beautiful. For some, the tracks might blend into each other a little bit, but that's no bad thing. This is the kind of album you can just disappear into.

Amazing stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply Beautiful, 9 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Birdy (Audio CD)
As someone who has played the piano up to grade 3 (I'm almost 33), Jasmine van den Bogaerde (Birdy) started playing much earlier than me at the age of just 5. Her voice is much older than her years and plays the piano beautifully. You only need to listen to her music on Youtube to realise how talented she is. Although her album is those of covers, I recommend this if you're a fan of alternative / classical. A very talented young lady.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crikey!, 7 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Birdy (Audio CD)
First listening.....a bit disappointed actually. A superb voice but most are cover songs and not quite connected with emotionally by the singer. But there was sure something there. Subsequent listens - getting a bit more of the potential and that beautiful, melancholic but strong voice - sometimes a bit Kate Bush - bizarre comparison I guess?......Then I read the review here and now I gettit. This girl is only 15 for heaven's sake! and what I guess this is is a group of awesome producers recognising and nurturing a very exciting emerging talent....and actually doing a great job of show casing her voice and showing us all her potential.

Without a Word is - for me - the best all round track - it's Birdy's own and you can tell she connects with the emotion. This for me is the real window to her future potential as a singer-song writer.

Birdy - you are a wonderful discovery and an amazing young talent - a voice beyond your years. Take it slow girl - don't wear out that instrument you have whilst you are still young - I think you are in safe and talented hands - genuine musical artists - and have a fantastic future beautiful girl!

This CD is a pearl. Buy it and dream of her potential. Taken in context - 5 stars - easy. I'll be watching this one for a live performance - I'm guessing she'll knock me sox off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch out that this Bordy does not fly away, 13 Dec. 2012
G. S. Fazakas "Beltane" (South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birdy (Audio CD)
What a debut from an eclectic artist. Sometimes she reminds you of Tori Anmos and at other times of Sarah Mc Claughlin,a female James Taylor/Paul Simon what else can I say? Watch this space for this incredibly talented singer/songwriter/musician. Can't wait for her next album! And she is now only 16years old Wow!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 17 Nov. 2011
nigel (Kidderminster, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birdy (Audio CD)
This is a must buy cd. It gets better the more you listen to it. This would be great by anyone. It is astonishing for a young adult of that age. The production is just right and suits her voice and the songs. It is surprising there are 3 different producers. Well done Birdy !

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 7 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Birdy (Audio CD)
I have to admit to beng in love with the female voice but this album is at least very, very near the top of my all-time classics.
The gift given to Birdy is in the same league as that of the heart-breakingly tragic figure of Aimee Winehouse - genius that captivates. Aimee will never grab and captivate us with more of her genius than already exists, we can only hope to be entranced by the gifts given to Birdy for very many years to come. The two lady's styles cannot be compared but at their best, their abilities to hold you close and play on your emotions are breathtaking.
Indescribably beautiful - buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 30 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Birdy (Audio CD)
I've loved Birdy ever since her rerelease of Skinny Love.
Her voice is so mature and simply stunning.
I received this for Christmas and haven't stopped listening to it.
Really beautiful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average., 14 May 2013

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

Birdy
Birdy by Birdy (Audio CD - 2011)