4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised
I must admit, I was slightly disappointed when I first listened to this album. What initially drew me to Birdy was the stark simplicity of her singles, which have mostly consisted of just vocals and paino. In the album, I felt that the producers had added far too much backing music, almost to the point of drowning her out.

However, on subsequent listens, I...
Published on 11 Nov 2011 by Mama P

3.0 out of 5 stars Average.
It's a nice album if a bit repetitive after a while. Wasn't too expensive so it doesn't bother me. Few good tracks though, just some are a bit boring. Lovely voice.
Published 16 months ago by Georgia Ralph

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised, 11 Nov 2011
This review is from: Birdy (Audio CD)

However, on subsequent listens, I noticed something: in its own way, the music is just as ethereal as her voice - and, as such, complements her perfectly. Most of the tracks are indie-rock covers - Francis & the Lights, Fleet Foxes, the National - to which Birdy has added her characteristic haunting edge. The whole thing has a ghostly beauty which is deeply relaxing to listen to.

She has only one self-penned track on this album - Without a Word - which, considering her age, is absolutely phenomenal. For those who criticise based on this alone, I think you're being unnecessarily harsh: Birdy is hardly equivalent to the manufactured pop acts spewed out of X-factor. Her choice of covers reveals her maturity and individual taste - she's not reproducing unoriginal versions of mainstream pop songs, after all - and she's been writing her own songs since she was 7. I think this girl is definitely going places. Overall, a surprising but gorgeous album.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a beautiful voice, 11 Nov 2011
H. Rahmani - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birdy (Audio CD)
I have to say i'm a little disappointed how her wonderful voice is trumed by the loud instruments. still a 5 start album because of her amazing voice. Her youtube channel has her acoustic versions and it's to die for. Absolutely beautiful

5.0 out of 5 stars Birdy is fantastic, 22 Jan 2012
This review is from: Birdy (Audio CD)
Birdy is a fantastic writer and performer, her songs a beautiful and heartfelt.
Amazing shes going to have a very big career watch out Adele =)

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable Talent, 23 Jan 2012
Colin In Blue (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birdy (Audio CD)
Only a short review as others have said much of what I agree with, and her music should be all the talking needed, just listen to a track or two on YouTube. Of all the albums I bought or downloaded during 2011, this is the best. I had heard a lot of hype about Birdy and generally hype rarely lives up to reality, but for once it is fully justified. OK, all but one are covers of what some might call 'classic' tunes, but Birdy easily makes them her own. And at just 15 when this was recorded, this album is clearly more a demonstration of her vocal talents than her songwriting skills. Listening to it restored my faith that there is a future for young talented singers.

If she doesn't become a HUGE star over the next few years as she completes her education, both academic and musical, then there is no justice in the world, and all we will be left with is the dreadful x-factor et al wannabes. This is a girl with genuine talent, and a remarkable voice and I wish her the very best of success.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW WHAT A TRULY NATURALLY TALENTED GIRL.AMAZING., 7 Jan 2012
This review is from: Birdy (Audio CD)
All i have to say about this album,that sums it up pefectly is:-Wow what a voice & naturally talented girl,I really enjoy just her singing along with her piano,she really doesnt need anything else shes amazing.
Really hope we see alot more of this girl,would love to hear her sing some coldplay songs.
Her album really made me tingle.
BUY IT NOW,GREAT ALBUM,AMAZING VOICE & TALENT. ;) NICE 1 BIRDY,WELL DONE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly beautiful covers & others, 11 Feb 2012
Amy Palko (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birdy (MP3 Download)
I generally shy away from albums of cover versions, but this is really excellent. Birdy's choice of songs from folk classics (James Taylor's Fire & Rain) to more modern classics-in-the-making (Bon Iver's Skinny Love and The XX's Shelter) is truly inspired, and she has such a fragile, tender delivery that I can honestly say that, in some cases (The District Sleeps Alone Tonight & White WInter Hymnal), her version is now my favourite. There is only one original song in this album (Without A Word), and I think it says a lot that it holds its own in the midst of more familiar favourites. I'm looking forward to future music from this bright young thing, especially to watch her continue to spread her songwriting wings. I think this must be my most played album of 2012 so far - I just keep coming back to it. And I think you might too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Promising - But Good Too, 7 Nov 2011
Glenn "Omaha" (Devon England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Birdy (Audio CD)
This is interesting for so many reasons: another female vocal at a time of such sweet saturation [Feist, Camille, Florence Welch, Phoebe Killdeer to name a few]; appearing first on youtube and within the contemporary public infatuation for promo-rich, X-Factoresque ratification - attained with bells on at 7 million clicks for her version of Bon Iver's 'Skinny Love', and aged only 15, her youth adds to the overall mystique and excitement that announces this new artist and release.

Jasmine Van den Bogaerde [aka Birdy and already packaged according to a requisite twee appellation] certainly possesses a powerful, pure voice. The 14 tracks on this debut album do occasionally contain over-dubs and layerings, but generally the production - from a stellar cast of participants, by all accounts - foregrounds the vocal. I feel my age when of these 14 tracks I really only know two well: Fleet Foxes' 'White Winter Hymnal' - from a band who themselves timewarp sounds from the 70s - and James Taylor's 'Fire and Water', which suggests Birdy has been dipping into the grandparents' vinyl. Or she's taken some astute advice on appealing to the genuinely mass market. I wasn't aware of the 7 million youtube audience appeal and accolade until reading recent and overall most favourable reviews, especially from the quality newspapers who can articulate with sharp tongues or approving sagacity, the latter reigning at the moment. Most confirm a promising start and future, and on my first tentative listen I would agree.

'Skinny Love' definitely reveals a strong and emotive vocal. 'People Help The People' also places the vocal up front and knowing, though I wouldn't characterise it as distinctive which is a clear nitpick within the obvious excellence - but that links back to the reality of needing to establish an identity within a market of extremely strong female voices. Especially when the youth vote wanes. 'Terrible Love' is a song that almost gets lost within the over-production of strings accompaniment, but the singing does hold its own which says much for Birdy's incipient vocal presence. A good aural test for me is the Taylor version. It's sound enough and what stands out - as it seemingly should - is that clear, confident vocal, and that is where the current and only 'problem' exists: that this track is as solid, but not necessarily different and distinctive from all the other strong tracks. Again, as many reviewers have already noted, self-penned 'Without a Word' reveals enough promise for the future to make this release exciting and significant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch out that this Bordy does not fly away, 13 Dec 2012
G. S. Fazakas "Beltane" (South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birdy (Audio CD)
What a debut from an eclectic artist. Sometimes she reminds you of Tori Anmos and at other times of Sarah Mc Claughlin,a female James Taylor/Paul Simon what else can I say? Watch this space for this incredibly talented singer/songwriter/musician. Can't wait for her next album! And she is now only 16years old Wow!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Geesee, 13 April 2012
Gs Collins "Goosegog" (near Melton Mowbray) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birdy (Audio CD)
I don't usually write reviews, as it's all so personal that it can be misleading. Thought I should have a go after listening to Birdy. It has been in the car and just keeps playing and I never seem to tire of it. Regardless of her age, her voice is technically brilliant and her rendition of some great songs is fantastic. She shows her range of vocal abilities very well without them taking over the songs. There is an element of early Kate Bush in there which is great.

If I had one criticism it Would be that I can't buy a second album!

I will have to buy the deluxe version as there are a couple of new songs that I would like to listen to.

My 6 year old daughter sings along with each song, she knows them all so well. I won't say rush out and buy it, but I'm glad I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars rare species, 24 Mar 2012
Mr. J. Fulton (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birdy (Audio CD)
Most of the albums i buy on a whim dont always hit the spot but i connected with this album instantly right from the first song 1901 and its just one beautiful song after another all the way , Birdie has a superb voice which cuts through the wall of sound at times its mesmerising , there is a great fusion of vocals at times you can hear Kate Bush ,Alice Gold, Lana del Ray , hints of Julie Cruise who sang those really haunting songs in twin peaks , a couple the tracks have that david lynch sound track appeal ,then you get blues Adele style ,track ten 'without a word' possibly a little over ambitious the emotion in the vocal doesn't quite work on that one for me but this is possibly one of those timeless albums , incredibly breathy and beautiful with each track standing out , i must admit i thought skinny love would be the standout track and it is a great track but all of the other songs are equally brilliant , This album reminds me of the first time i heard the stone roses first album , every song was mind blowing , five stars because i want to play this album over and over again .

Birdy
Birdy by Birdy (Audio CD - 2011)