5.0 out of 5 stars Far Better Than A Siberian Hamster
Several years ago I stumbled across Midlake and their rather excellent Trials of Van Occupanther album. It contains the quite sublime single Roscoe and really is my choice when I want to just sit back and chill with some music that soothes and pleases in equal measures. The English Riviera might just supplant that CD now as it really does those two tasks and quite a few...
Published on 27 July 2011 by Syriat

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, not for me.
Like the star rating says 'it's okay'. Have listened to it a LOT in case I was missing something but it just doesn't do anything for me at all. Gave it to a friend of mine who described it as 'Beard Music'. Make of that what you will,
Published 4 months ago by khan2000

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly mature, 11 Jun 2011
M. Jones (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The English Riviera (Audio CD)
Having seen them on Jools Holland's TV show and heard a few tracks off this album elsewhere I decided it was the kind of band worthy of further inspection.
The opening track is the title track and the intro reminded me of Bouvetoya's "Seashore" with its seagull and crashing waves sample, as I delved further into the album I realised that this is a remarkably mature collection of electronica based songs which always seemed to remind of a particular artists or era. Maybe that is the intention, there are a definite cross section of analogue sounds which at times reminded me of AIR and MGMT and other times Depeche Mode and Erasure.
There are one or two very unique tracks as well which I had humming on my head for days such were the attractive hooks displayed.
A great effort from a band that could get on my list of "must buys" when their next albums become available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Metronomy- English Riviera, 31 May 2011
I loved the previous Metronomy output, and while this album wasn't necessarily so artisticly "out-there" as some of their previous releases, I love it from start to finish. A shame that vinyl is always so much more expensive than CD!

For anyone who hasn't already heard most of the album on youtube, it is largely on there (though not entirely) so give it a look on there first.

4.0 out of 5 stars Metronomy - The English Riviera, 26 May 2011
P. Norman "pn7" (England) - See all my reviews
Great package with both the Vinyl and CD. A really good album. My fav track is The Bay which has a disco feel and quite similar in sound to Nights Out, but on the whole The English Riviera has more live acoustic instruments than their second album. Its a really good laid back, sunshine album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beach House, 15 April 2011
This review is from: The English Riviera (Audio CD)
This is a superb `English' album of the sort The Streets or Tricky create rather than Blur, The Jam or The Kinks. An English album that looks beyond these musical shores to Detroit and New York, name checking Jill Scott and Tweet along the way just in case anyone doesn't quite get what's going on here. Marrying black pop and white soul to marvellous effect this electro pop masterpiece nevertheless has a strain of awkwardness and eccentricity which means things never get too sweet, even when Joseph Mount passes the vocal duties to Anna Prior and Roxanne Clifford. On a few occasions I wondered whether what I was actually listening to was, say, Denim remixed by Kevin Saunderson. Needles to say lyrically things ain't too sweet between Brixham, Paignton, Torquay and every little beach in between and I was never quite sure whether the difficult relationships that abounded on this album were about people or place. And this is an album. It's not to be chopped into little fillets by an IPOD, this is an album one turns on, and journeys and disappears into. Quite simply Joseph Mount and Metronomy have created an English classic, English rock has never sounded so good.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Summery Tribute to Torbay!, 19 Jun 2011
This review is from: The English Riviera (MP3 Download)
I came across this band purely by chance. I overheard Everything Goes My Way on the club's stereo system when I went to see another band play last week. I absolutely HAD to find out who this band was. The promoter told me that it was Metronomy, and I so gutted when he also mentioned that they had played in that same venue just a few months ago! Because this has to be one of the best albums I've heard in quite some time. It seems like it's a concept album about Torbay - the album opens with the sounds of seagulls and waves, and instruments reminiscent of seaside fairs such as fairground organs are weaved throughout the songs. Joseph Mount has also definitely tapped into some sort of zeitgest among many of us who grew up in the eighties and early nineties. The new wave and funk feel of many of the songs definitely take the best elements of the music of that era and turn it into something new and exciting. The best songs on it are A Thing for Me (which has a wonderfully bizarre karaoke-style music video), Corinne (very Pixies-ish!) and The Bay. To be honest though, there aren't any weak tracks on here at all. I'm now off to do something I very rarely do and actually buy the CD versions of this and the two previous Metronomy albums!

5.0 out of 5 stars West Country Heaven, 12 Jun 2011
This review is from: The English Riviera (Audio CD)
Wow...this is quite a return from one man band Joseph Mount (aka Metronomy),after the spiky,entertaining live shows of last summmer comes this brilliant little masterpiece of english melancholia.

Using an electronic template with plenty of snappy,tight guitar playing this is the sound of the future,hopefully!. A lot of the modern bands who mix indie and "dance", start to let the synths and sequencers take over but Mount pulls back from this, using live bass and some clever guitar riffs.

Lyrically its all about small town england, the little island we all know so well,fustrations,love and the seaside. The English Riveria is a piece of Devon coastline where the sun almost kisses the sky, for Mount it means home and wanting to get away, "its not tokyo,its not berlin,nor london" he sings in "The Bay".

Standout tracks are the fretless bass and wonky synth mastery of "She Wants" ans the Victorian seaside synths of "The Look".

One of the best LPS of 2011 so far...

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, not for me., 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: The English Riviera (MP3 Download)

5.0 out of 5 stars Metronomy, 20 Jan 2012
This review is from: The English Riviera (Audio CD)
Safe and quick delivery in time for a christmas gift, not sure of the content of music as this was given to a friend but i am sure ok as he didnt return it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracker from metronomy, 6 Jun 2011
This review is from: The English Riviera (Audio CD)
These guys are getting better and better,If you liked there other albums you are going to love this one,very original,a must have, 5 stars for me,go get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sunny times in Torquay, 15 Jun 2011
This review is from: The English Riviera (Audio CD)
After rave reviews from the critics my expectations were sky high for this release, and I was not disappointed. I bought Joe Mount's previous release 'Nights Out' and I liked a couple of songs on this album, but every song on 'The English Riviera' is excellent. The sound has really expanded since his last bedroom studio effort, and he seems to have recruited a strong live band which has fleshed out his song writing craft. I rarely want to repeatedly play an album in full, but I could listen to this one all day. If you cross Hot Chip with Nick Drake, then Metronomy would probably be the result.

The English Riviera