5.0 out of 5 stars ***DUMMIES GUIDE TO THE IPAD***
So, you're thinking of buying an iPad however, you're not so sure of what it can do and how it works. So, here is the "Dummies Guide to the iPad" to help you make that decision. "I promise to keep the jargon down to a bare minimum" :

Published on 30 Aug 2011 by Wayne

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the standard iPad packaging
Published 23 months ago by Rachel

5.0 out of 5 stars ***DUMMIES GUIDE TO THE IPAD***, 30 Aug 2011
Wayne - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G - Tablet - 16 GB - 9.7" IPS ( 1024 x 768 ) - rear camera + front camera - Wi-Fi, Bluetooth - 3G - black (Personal Computers)

To begin with the iPad must be paired to an existing Laptop or Desktop PC. These can be normal Microsoft Windows or Mac PC's. Once paired you can use the iPad by itself. It only has to be paired once. Although, there is a rumour that the next generation will work straight out of the box.

You will be able to:

-Touch and pinch the screen to type words and move things around
-Send and Receive Emails
-Browse the Internet including Online Banking, Internet Shopping and more...
-Listen to Music, including the Radio when there is a Wireless (Wi-Fi) connection
-Watch Videos and Movies
-Write and Print Letters (see the section on 'Printing' further down)
-Download and Play Games
-Become a Smarter Person (more on this later)
-Display Pictures - it is an electronic Picture Frame too!
-Take Pictures and Movies, if it has the onboard camera (iPad2 and newer)
-Have a chat with the relatives abroad using Video Conferencing technology
-Download THOUSANDS of books into a snazzy Book Reader that you can actually turn pages on the screen with
-There are loads more - I'll leave them as a surprise if you decide to buy one :)

You will NOT be able to:

-Watch a special type of animation or movie using a technology known as 'Flash' - don't worry about this though, you'll hear lots of people complaining about it. It really is no big deal and you'll learn to live without it. Over time, many of the popular web sites will move away from using Flash and use a newer technology that DOES work on iPads.
-Insert a CD (there is no slot and you don't actually need one)
-In fact, there is not much else you can't do with an iPad :

THE WIZARDS

No, not the ones' from Oz! Wizards are helpful programs that magically pop up and automatically configure things like the Internet and Email connections for you. The iPad has more Wizards than you can wave a wand at! When you first switch it on and whenever you need to set something up it will automatically present you with a Wizard. Therefore setting things up is as easy as 1-2-3.

The iPad is also an iPod!! - Loading music is done in one of two ways.

1 - install the free version of iTunes onto your normal PC and follow the Wizards instructions to download your music from the 'iTunes Store' or transfer your music from your favourite CD collection. Then, connect the iPad to your computer using the supplied cable and it will automatically 'Synchronise' your music to the iPad. Yup, you guessed it - using yet another Wizard!

2 - iTunes is a built in application (or App) on the iPad itself. Tap this App to search for and download your music directly to the iPad. You could even download a movie or your favourite episode of 24 too!

Once the music is on there just tap the iPod App to listen to it. Easy-Peasy!

APPS

The iPad extensively uses Apps. Apps are downloaded, using Wi-Fi. This is why you don't need a CD drive. These are the icons that are displayed on the screen.

Apps are downloaded from the Internet using yet another App called: "The App Store". Tap this icon to search for or see a list of the most popular Apps available, some are paid for and some are free! Tap the 'Install' button next to the one you'd like, follow the Wizards instructions and the App will automatically download and appear as a new icon on the screen.

LOADING PICTURES

These can be loaded onto the iPad using iTunes, Email or the 'Camera Connection Kit' - this is a separate adaptor (£25) that plugs into the bottom of the iPad. Just insert the memory card from your camera into the adaptor and it will automatically load the pictures into the built in Photo App.

THE PICTURE FRAME

When the iPad is locked (by pressing the button on the top-right side) and then back on again, you'll see a little icon in the lower right side corner of the display. Tap this and the Photo App will automatically display your pictures in full screen mode, converting the iPad into a digital Photo frame! It is a great feature. This means that you can leave the ipad on the shelf, literally as part of your rooms decor! You may want to purchase a 'Dock (£25)' to have the iPad tilted and supported at just the right angle.

Tip: if you need a reason to justify buying an iPad to your wife - use the Picture Frame one!!

PRINTING

Printing is done wirelessly, however you MUST use one of the wireless printers detailed on the apple.com website. Typically, it will not print to anything other than one of those printers. There is one caveat to this statement, it is possible to print to any wireless printer if you pay for and download a third party App that is available via the App Store - use the search keywords 'wireless printing' to find it.

It is also possible to email whatever you'd like to print and pick it up on your normal PC for printing.

Finally, I mentioned that you could become a Smarter Person by using an iPad - in fact this is not a joke. There are thousands of educational Apps including ones' for learning Astronomy through to learning how to read and play music and even Apps that will help you learn a new language. The possibilities are literally right at your finger tips!!

If you're unsure of which size to buy just buy the largest one you can afford. I have a 32GB version and have only used half of its capacity even with some very large Apps installed.

The iPad is many things to many people and the information above is just scratching the surface.

"I hope this review helps you make the right decision and I also hope that I did not use too much confusing jargon."

Good luck!!

*** update 12th October 2011 ***

Apple have released their new Operating System (iOS 5)

Amongst many new and enhanced features there is now the ability to synchronise data across multiple Devices. They call it 'iCloud' - think of iCloud as a 'Virtual Filing Cabinet' to store your Documents, Diary and a record of your downloaded media from iTunes. Always accessible as long as there is an internet connection.

iCloud also allows the iPad to be used without having to 'Pair' it with a computer. It will now work straight out of the box!

5.0 out of 5 stars The iPad 2 is king of Tablets, 13 Jun 2011
I bought the Original iPad in January 2011 and little to my surprise the iPad 2 was announced on the 2nd of March. Straight away i knew that although i had recently purchased the Original iPad, i just had to buy the iPad 2 also. I own an iMac 27 inch, an iPhone 4 and i bought the iPad 2. They all have their own uses. The iPhone 4 is great on the go and it fits right into your pocket. The iPad 2 however is not a device i would wish to carry around for long periods of time as it draws to much attention to possible thief's plus the size of the device.

I love the ipad 2 to sit on the couch and watch videos on youtube, check my emails, do some browsing, play games ect.
It really is great just to pick it up and be on the internet in a matter of seconds, for me thats a winner! Also the whole argument with Adobe Flash, i don't have any problems as the majority of videos i watch are on the Youtube app, HTML 5 is a web player that is the future, Adobe Flash was designed for mouse and keyboard input, not finger input and i agree entirely as i'm yet to see Adobe Flash run well on a mobile device.

I do think now though that i should have just gone for the wi-fi model as to be honest with 4G speeds just round the corner i do find 3G a bit annoying like for instance if you want to watch a video on youtube using your 3G signal the video can sometimes be contorted, where as the speed of the video and the sound are at two different speeds and sometimes the sound is tinny, but when using wi-fi i find no problems with this.

When you hold the ipad 2 in your hands it feels amazing, thats what they say to Tablet doubters, once you hold and use a tablet you will most certainly want to buy one. With the iPad 2 you know you are getting a well designed and reliable product. Plus the apps on offer are amazing, over 65,000 apps tailored just for the ipad now.

This is far better and more stable than any android device on the market just now and with iOS 5 just around the corner the iPad 2 will be completely free from the pc/mac so you wont have to sync it through itunes which i hate doing.

Anyways if you are thinking of buying one then make sure you really need 3G because if you already have a smart phone then the iPad 2 can use its 3G signal so it would make it pointless getting a 3G iPad 2. Also consider how much gigabyte of store you actually need as 12GB is sometimes enough and with icloud on the way, flash storage will become less and less of the main way to store your content. So if you want a Tablet then get the iPad 2 you wont regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Tablet PC with a 'Superb Capacitive Screen,' Sublime., 25 April 2011
David Glasgow "Wego" (Co.Tyrone, United Kingdom.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Call me Lazy but I purchased this for lazying about on the couch when I could NOT be bothered to boot up the "main DESKTOP" and sit in front of the huge screen.

Its nice once and a while to get away from the 24 inch Desktop PC Screen. Hence the iPad 2. - I don't know what I would do without it now TBH.

Anyways I never bought the iPad 1. because I just never got around to it, (however the new iPad 2), has a host of features at a slightly lower price and could not turn it down.

The iPad 2. has an "Apple made: A5 Dual core 2x 1 GHz ULTRA FAST CPU",- (double the speed of the iPad 1), and is so, so responsive its a beautiful article to work with, while sitting back connected via WIFI wirelessly linked to the Home LINKSYS router.

It has everything including "Garage band" which I've always wanted to boot, all for a decent price...My "16GB Model. mine cost just over 4 hundred".

I must admit its very thin, however it has a very tough Aluminium metal support: at the back, so its rock solid, NOT just made out of plastic, Like the white model would have you believe. No its a very study device indeed. and its still a trifle over priced compared to the Motorola Zoom, in my humble opinion. As the Zoom has many more features its also built very well however the iPad 2 has it by a hairs breadth quality build wise, even tho, the Motorola ZOOM is a beautiful device to hold and use.

However, if you want simplicity go for the ("iPad 2") with the best "capacitive touch keypad" in the world and more apps than anyone else, however, if you want unlimited features go for the Motorola Zoom with Android 3.0 OS, and if your cash strapped and still want a decent device go for the Samsung Tab -:(7 inches only) still nice to use.

If you do deicide to purchase from Amazon UK, be sure to buy a decent case with it, because its prone to sticky fingers, "hence the finger prints over the screen", and if you accidentally drop it, a case will help break the fall, providing you get a good one... however, there's many to choose from "Please don't buy the cheapest" - as they're a waste of money, buy something that will protect your new investment, "Apple iPad 2" for 5 years time with "an included screen" protector "essential" changing them regular every 3 months, as they're not expensive.

PS. everyone with Savy, and common sense, I can assure you unlike some others may have said: "You definitely DO NOT NEED any instructions" as the iPad 2 is in my humble opinion, is completely idiot proof. the "GUI is very intuitive" and there's really no need to read instructions, in my point of view... nope.!

Thanks again for reading folks, if you found my review useful Please leave me a Positive VOTE. - much appreciated.!! :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good - but, 1 Nov 2011
It's light; it has lightning start-up speed; and it does a reasonably good range of jobs. But there are shortcomings.

On emails it doesn't show Spam messages received (we have four mailboxes between us). I do check my Spam messages, because occasionally I find some that aren't Spam - and are even important. After three weeks away I found 200 Spam messages, including three non-Spams waiting in my iMac mailboxes.

Also, I didn't think I would need Flash-player: but now I find it really is a necessity for the sites I visit most.

And, though battery life is claimed to be ten hours I reckon I'm getting no more than six or seven.

Every piece of hardware has its faults and its quirks. As we're learning to live with those of the iPad we're still pleased we bought it. It's lighter than my laptop (useful when flying "low cost") and it's handier. It's compatible with my iMac; and with easy uploading and transfer of photos it makes an easy-to-update and easy-to-carry photo album (important to us).

5.0 out of 5 stars They are that good:-), 1 Jan 2012
I love New York (Not in New York) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Much like the iPhone I convinced myself that I didn't really need an iPad. It was just a bigger version of the iPhone which I own the 4 version and It was too much money to spend on a gadget.

I also have a Home PC and a laptop and really couldn't justify one. As usual I held out, but then I decided I wanted one and could sell it for a good price if I changed my mind.

Owned one for about a week now and love it. It's not a replacement for any of the above mentioned instruments, but it works in harmony with them all. I no longer have to strain at the tiny iphone screen or boot up my pc or laptop to check sports scores. I can download magazines like sports illustrated. Great apps for American sports which I follow.

Watching films is also very good and it's great for lovefilm with an app for that too. Also the amount of games like Sonic for a matter of pence when compared to Nintendo ds games you could get far more for your money.

At the end of the day this is an expensive luxury and in any way will it replace either my laptop or pc which I use for excel/word/and website design, but it will probably get used just as much for other things.

Love it.

5 Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't live without mine now, 22 Mar 2012
The Truth "How it is" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is basically the worlds most expensive toy. And you must remember that - it is just a toy. IT IS NOT A COMPUTER!

I bought this so I could sit and muck about on the net in front of the TV in my living room and relegate my laptop to my studio, and for that it is perfect.

It is astonishingly slim, and as with all Apple products, beautifully designed and the touch screen works really well and is responsive. You can use special 'moves' - like pinching the screen - to whizz back to the home page and navigate around as well as tapping in details.

Everything on it works as it should, but you can't really do that much with it - as I say - it's not a computer. It's basically a large iphone. In fact, you can even make calls from it with the right app installed; and its apps which form the basis of this thing...

I suppose to say the ipad is limited is a little unfair, as you can pretty much do anything with it... with the right app installed. So you're only limited by the apps you can find. A lot of the apps are a bit gimmicky, but there are ones of real use I've found such as ones for ebay, Amazon, a TV guide and on-line apps for my bank and energy supplier (so I can give readings, transfer fund and pay bills).

Worth the money? Yes and no. I wouldn't be without mine though and I've only had it a week - I'm a total luddite too and hate computers and technology, but I get along OK with this. My mum has one too and even she loves it as its just so intuitive to use. Now she actually enjoys getting emails and surfing the net... she didn't before, and when you think about it that is pretty amazing: The ipad makes the technology accessible and fun to use for everyone.

It has it's drawbacks though; rather annoyingly you can't 'upload' MP3s (though you can picture files with the addition of a special kit) but you can download them via icloud, along with lots of other fun and useful items in the form of apps from the App store. Then (again with the addition of more expensive extras, like airport express) you can stream your music files to you HiFi or AV receiver, and play them over your home speakers.

Overall - another triumph for Apple. RIP Steve Jobs, lets hope your company keeps creating wonderful products like this now that you're not at its helm. The ipad will be revolutionary... but it's not quite there yet. If you have the patience, it might be worth waiting for the ipad3. I wanted to and probably should have, but lacked the self control. Maybe you'll do better.

1 more bad point: Doesn't support Flash.

1 more good point: Face to face, real person support at the Genius bar, when you buy it from the Apple store. You can't put a price on that.

UPDATE:
I've had my ipad2 for about 3 months now, and I have to say, it's become and integral part of my everyday life. My computer is now redundant and I use this item every day, with out fail. This is the future, and the future's bright, the future's Apple. A truly revolutionary piece of technology that does what all technology should: improve you life by making it better and easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye laptops, hello to the future, 22 Feb 2012
I bought the IPAD2 after much debating and research. I'm so glad i did. I dont even look at my laptop anymore. Apple has come up with a very light, customizable, and entertaining tablet. I used to carry a 7.5 pound laptop to work and realized it was a huge pain and oversized for what i wanted. i then went to a notebook which was alot lighter but didnt have the conectivity and no disc drive. So i decided to try this IPAD 2 out and all i can say is wow! Its very light, With over 500,000 applications i can choose from i can really customize it just for me. With itunes i can rent or buy movies, games, magazine and newspaper subscriptions. It has a front and back camera so i can video chat with my friends over seas and family. This is the way of the future and you wont be disappointed. I take it everywhere. Its replaced my laptop, kindle, and some other devices. I only wish i had bought the 64 gig version. when renting movies it takes up alot of space and leaves me with very little memory left.

i would highly recomend this to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent piece of equipment, 9 Jan 2012
Mrs. Sharon Roberts (wirral, UK) - See all my reviews
Hubby and I treated ourselves to the 16g version.We're not great techies but although it doesn't come with a Manual - now you can see we are the type to read the info first,it's so easy to use any idiot,like us,can use it. Have already downloaded some free App games and Trivial Pursuit-haven't played for years but fun on iPad. The camera would obviously not replaced a decent digital camera but again fun to use with different effects and videos come out pretty good. Bought a decent case for it and a stylus pen-dirt cheap on eBay. Recommend using a pen,much more accurate especially in typing and saves marks on screen. We weren't prepared to pay extra for 3G wifi access. Most hotels now offer wifi for free so as we intend to take it away with us that's when we would use it. No doubt business folk would want to be contactable all the time but we weren't that bothered. My husband was exstatic to find he could download library books for FREE! He was practically telling everyone about it how easy it was. The main impressive point of the ipad2 was it's speed. Much faster than our home computer and laptop. A very good piece of equipment, we are looking forward to finding out more of its talents, the more we use it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the standard iPad packaging, 25 Jan 2013
I purchased this product for a gift and part of the charger was missing (it isn't packed in the same way as from an Apple Store or one of their authorised sales outlets). I was offered a refund to cover the cost of purchasing another charger 'next day delivery' but elected to return the iPad. Full refund was given without delay or hassle, and I bought one from a high street store in a white 'Apple' box - everything in it together/picture on front - for my husband. I paid the extra £34 elsewhere of course, but it looked right!

3.0 out of 5 stars Refurbished?, 10 Dec 2013
I'm pretty sure this is not a new iPad 2. The product code implies a refurbished iPad 2. I find the bluetooth can be strange sometimes not connecting to devices within range. The wireless will lose signal now and again. Not too impressed by the response on the touch screen sometimes.
This is my first iPad so not sure if its the device or just how the product performs anyway.
Still will give 3 stars as it is ok, just the fact about it possibly being sold as new when it is a refurbished model.