4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality bulbs
Published 9 months ago by David P

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good purchase
I replaced 7 of my kitchen's halogen 50w bulbs with these.

My main concern was about the potential compatibility issue with the existing 12v transformer - this was no issue at all!! They work great and have a nice colour to it.

Published 8 months ago by Mr.L

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good purchase, 14 Dec 2013
This review is from: SEBSON« MR16 3.5W LED, Warm White, 30W Replacement for Light Bulb, 280lm, 110║ Beam Angle (Housewares)
I replaced 7 of my kitchen's halogen 50w bulbs with these.

I would have given it 5 stars if it gave exactly the same brightness as the Halogens - sadly, they don't. They are only a little dimmer than the Halogens. The colour tone, while pleasant, is not as warm as the halogens.

I even dropped one :( and it cracked the rear of the bulb. However, with a little super-glue, it was put together and works great!! :)

Update: When switched on, these bulbs play havoc with my DAB radio!!! The interference is terrible and renders my DAB unusable. However, this does not seem to be an uncommon problem, with these type of bulbs! Just search the internet for LED interference with Radio / radio signals.

You have been warned. And, another star will be taken off for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality bulbs, 2 Dec 2013
David P (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I bought a couple of different LED bulbs to experiment with, this one and the 220lm frosted Sebson one. This one is definitely brighter (being non-frosted) and is also less warm, although still very agreeable. The light from the frosted bulb is much warmer, really quite yellow. If you like that, then it's just fine. We much prefer the light from this one, being that bit brighter and not overly yellow.

There are a few things you need to be aware of when replacing halogens with these. Firstly, they can cause problems with older transformers. Older transformers can tend to be quite sensitive to the load on them, being designed for a certain load, and if you drastically reduce the load, the transformer may not work very well, or even stop working completely. For example, a track fitting with 6 20w bulbs on will give a load around 120w, but replace with these bulbs and that will drop to around 20w. This can cause flickering. You also need to be aware that as the load on a transformer drops, the voltage it gives can go up. So even if you leave a couple of halogens in to keep the load up a bit, bulbs may fail sooner than expected due to the higher voltage. I tested and just taking two bulbs out of a 3 bulb fitting caused the voltage to rise from 12v to over 15v.

The other issue I have found with these LED bulbs is that they give no light at all out through the back of the bulb. In a flush ceiling mount, this makes no difference, but if you have bulbs mounted exposed in a track fitting, you may well find that the light from these is very different, because you get no diffused light from the back of the bulb lighting the ceiling - they can make a room look very dark in comparison to your old halogens.

I think I will be converting a lot of our halogens to LEDs - but in places where it may well need a new transformer or whole new light fitting to accommodate them, I may well take the opportunity to convert to mains voltage GU10 bulbs instead.

Just some things you may want to consider - but these Sebson bulbs do seem to be very good quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good LED bulb for the right place and right lamp, 16 Aug 2014
I have 3 of these LED bulbs fitted in ceiling recess lights. They have worked now for about 9 months with quite heavy use. I am not a great fan of the colour of light given off but it is not too harsh or cold and we are now used to it. I would describe it as slightly spooky. One significant consideration when replacing QH bulbs is that the LEDs are not recessed into the bowl of the lamp but are just behind the front surface. This gives quite a bit of glare compared to the QH they replace. Fortunately my lamps tilt enough to compensate and direct the glare away from where I sit. The angle of illumination is also much wider than a QH beam; good and bad there I guess. One very unwelcome discovery was that I had to replace the QH drivers with LED drivers in the ceiling, because the QH ones did not work with the LEDs - I just got one flash from the LEDs on turning on. I used
LED CONSTANT VOLTAGE DRIVER 12VOLT 6WATTS by LEDBRITE. This did raise the cost of replacement so my electricity cost saving was reduced by this amount. It also means that these LED units may not work in lamps with built in QH drivers. You do have to recognize that they do save over 30W per bulb compared to the 35W QH ones I replaced

5.0 out of 5 stars Brighter than expected, 14 Dec 2013
J. Holmes - See all my reviews
Rated at 35w equivalent they do appear brighter, very happy with them, they seem to fit the holder easier than the 20w x 12v halogens they replace. Happy to be using quite a lot less power than before

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent good value for money and very Brite, 3 July 2014
Excellent good value for money and very Brite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright!, 10 Jun 2014
These lights surprised me as to how bright they are. Beautiful tone of light. They are warm but not yellow.. like so many others.
I cannot comment on long life as I put them up yesterday. Thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly dimmer than 30W, but an excellent replacement for 20W halogens, 24 Feb 2014
I bought two of these bulbs to replace two 20W halogen bulbs, and have so far been impressed. The light is good (as described, with a good warmth; bright and not too yellowish), and perhaps slightly brighter than the 20W bulbs it replaced (I know these are supposed to be 30W equivalents, but I've found if you go for "the next size up", you are more likely to get the brightness desired). I've not seen *any* flickering so far, and have been impressed... enough to order several more Sebson bulbs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bulb, 13 Jan 2014
I bought one for my kitchen. Although it's LED technology I am impressed by its power. It's very very bright (much better than the other non-LED I have in the same place). I will soon buy the kit with 5 of them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good led bulbs, 6 Jan 2014
I purchased x6 3.5W led bulbs for the bathroom to replace x6 40W halogen bulbs. I also replaced the halogen driver transformer with a 30W led driver transformer to stop flickering of the led bulbs as the led bulbs have a very low load compared to the halogen bulbs. No issues noticed apart from the light being slightly dimmer than the halogens, but soon got used to it. So far so good, very satisfied with the product as it looks to be well made.

4.0 out of 5 stars good led, 3 Jan 2014
I bought these led's as I already know the benefits of the low energy and they have worked very well.I connected them up to a battery for keeping some light ( good light )in my chicken coop. I bought 3 but, I am only using two as the light is very bright and I didn't want my chickens to get blinded . So for me they are spot on.