4,015 Reviews
 (2,328)

1,118 of 1,172 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars I could not put this one down!
Before I Go To Sleep is an excellent psychological thriller. I found myself reading this book into the small hours, and really had to tear myself away from it and go to sleep. It's an unmissable read and I can't recommend it enough.

Published on 27 Mar. 2011 by Gemma

1.0 out of 5 stars Baffled by the Hype
I sometimes wonder whether I am reading the same book as some of these reviewers. The last time I was as disappointed in a book as this was The Da Vinci Code, with which Before I Go to Sleep has much in common.

Published on 22 Jan. 2012 by Gemica

1,118 of 1,172 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars I could not put this one down!, 27 Mar. 2011
Gemma (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The book is based around Christine, who loses her memory when she goes to sleep and has to start afresh everytime she wakes up. It's quite thrilling seeing it from her own eyes as each day she wakes up and can't figure out where she is, and everything has to be explained to her by a man who carefully explains to her that he's her husband. She begins to keep a journal, writing down what happens to her each day as recommended by her doctor who calls her each day to remind her of her journal and where it's hidden. Each day she reads what's previously written in her journal, and is extremely confused as she can never remember the previous entries.

As the book progresses you begin to realise something isn't right, and you know who it must involve but you can't figure out why. I had to keep reading to find out what was going to happen next, and it was a brilliant read. I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Debut, 21 Feb. 2011
Victoria (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I honestly can't gush enough about this book. This is the best debut novel I have ever read - the kind of thriller that gets under your skin and crawls into bed with you at night, refusing to let you shut your eyes until you read just one more page...just one more page....

The premise is a very interesting one. Christine wakes every morning in a strange bed next to a strange man, with no recollection of how she got there. But the bed is her own, and the man is her husband - and when she looks in the mirror she is somehow twenty years older than she had expected. Thanks to an accident when she was 29, Christine goes to sleep every night and has her memory erased. (Yes, this does sound like 50 First Dates, but I assure you that this storyline is darker and more thrilling than a RomCom!) Her loving husband patiently explains her situation to her every day, and her doctor tries to unlock whatever is keeping her memories hostage in her brain. I don't want to give too much away aside from that, but needless to say it emerges that not everyone is telling Christine the whole truth.

This book had me absorbed from the very first chapter. You are immediately drawn into Christine's situation, experiencing her confusion, and imagining yourself in the same nightmare. I don't get as much opportunity to read during the week as I would like, but I managed to read this in two and a half days because I was glued to it. I disagree with the reviewers who said the ending was a little too neat - I sat gasping and exclaiming for the last 60 pages or so, having heart palpitations as the story came together. An absolute must-read and a fantastic achievement for the author - I believe the film rights have already been sold.

1.0 out of 5 stars Baffled by the Hype, 22 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Kindle Edition)

BIGS is poorly written - 'she turned to him, he turned to her'; I'm amazed they weren't perpetually dizzy - and the inconsistencies and absurdities in the plot were gob-smackingly awful. It reads exactly as it is - a first attempt by someone who has been 'taught' how to write.

SPOILER ALERT - if in spite of this review you still intend buying this book, look away now.

No-one would write in a journal as Chrissy has written - that much detail? No way. Could anyone actually believe that a patient as seriously compromised as this would be allowed to discharge themselves and live without medical supervision? Could you believe that Chrissy could actually have been handed over to 'someone' without any checks being made? Can you believe that a medical professional could behave the way Dr Nash does throughout? Why didn't Adam realise for 4 months that his mother was AWOL? Why, when Claire asked Chrissy to describe Ben, did she first ask about the colour of his hair and not the fact that he had a bloody great SCAR ON HIS CHEEK??? Worst of all, if Claire knew about Chrissy's 'affair', including where they used to meet, why did the police not pursue her lover as a possible culprit in her attack? Clearly they weren't discreet, would he have been so difficult to find?

And there are more - so many more- gaping great flaws, but I wasted time reading it, I don't want to waste any more time reviewing it.

Ok if you've read this far and haven't already bought the book, take my advice - don't. Want a really good 'psychological thriller'? 'We need to Talk About Kevin'

3.0 out of 5 stars Before I Go to Sleep by S J Watson, 28 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Kindle Edition)
This is the story of Christine, who wakes up each morning as a middle-aged woman with no recollection of the previous 20 years of her life after being seriously injured in her late 20s. She lives with her husband, Ben, and reads and writes a journal each day in order to try to piece together her life. It soon becomes clear that Ben isn't the caring, devoted husband that he at first appears and Christine has to work out each day who she can trust and who she can't...

The start of the book is very good. The first descriptions of Christine's confusion when getting up in the morning to when she discovers her journal were excellent and set the book up for an exciting and compelling read. But then the book loses its way a bit. The journal becomes the basis of the novel and as such it is implausible that Christine has time to write, covertly so that Ben doesn't find out, at such length each day as well as having to read it all. But there were so many other holes in the plot - where were social services for a start? - that I started to get really annoyed with it all. The story trundles along until it reaches quite an exciting climax, with a twist that is as subtle as a sledgehammer. The ending disappoints too - I still don't understand how those people ended up in the ambulance with Christine! - with everyone gathering around Scooby-Doo style to go over what happened and going off to live happily ever after. It wasn't completely dreadful, it is very readable and sucks you into the story but it falls apart completely when you start to consider any aspect of it in any depth.

This book had so much promise. The basic idea is very original, scary and makes for an exciting thriller but momentum is quickly lost and the characters and relationships between them are one-dimensional and dull. With all the hype and having been chosen for every book club going I would have expected this to have been amazing - it could have been but it isn't.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ran out of steam.., 2 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Kindle Edition)
For a while, I was thoroughly absorbed in this unusual story of an amnesiac who had to begin her life every morning. But half way through the book it seemed to run out of steam and become predictable so I felt myself saying 'yeah yeah, hurry up and get on with it' or words to that effect! As a first book, I applaud it but I felt the characters could have been more deftly drawn, as I did not care much about any of them, not even the poor amnesiac Christine. Great beginning, saggy middle and predictable ending.

4.0 out of 5 stars An engrossing, thrilling read, 3 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book. It was the first piece of fiction I bought for my Kindle and I couldn't put it down. I had feared that the premise wouldn't sustain the entire book, but it's brilliantly handled, sagging only in the third quarter but never to the point it becomes dull. The final twist? I should have seen it coming, but I didn't. I'll say no more, but this: buy this without delay and enjoy a real literary insight into a troubled, broken mind. Fantastic.

2.0 out of 5 stars A sad let down, 19 Mar. 2015
Ms. K. M. Kelleher "Simply books" (Bow, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Kindle Edition)
I had real high hopes for this book, originally I thought that it was based on a true story, but it quite quickly became obvious that it is fiction.

The story is about a woman who is unable to form new memories, and wakes every morning having forgotten the past 20 years of her life. She is encouraged to keep a journal by a Dr that she is meeting with secretly.

I'm going to try to word this in a way that doesn't ruin the outcome for others.
The idea is a great one, but there are so many holes is the way that the story is put together. The journal is meant to be written just before Christine sleeps. and she then read it the next day to remind herself of her own life story.

Firstly, it seems that her husband goes off to work every day and leaves a wife who is vulnerable, has dinner with her and then leaves her alone whilst she writes her journal (remember the journal is a secret)
Christine writes substantial amounts in her journal, and then proceeds to read it all the next day, after being informed by the dr where it is. She would have to spend the whole day just reading and writing. In my view, it would be impossible to adjust to your own situation every day and do that much reading.
Some of the language structure made it obvious that a man wrote this.
The level of detail that Christine writes in her journal is completely unrealistic. Stop reading now if you don't want to know anything of the end ... The journal is destroyed in a fire, and yet the detail is remembered ... minute detail.

The end was actually very predictable, I think that it was meant to be a twist but actually was quite obvious.

4.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't quite meet the hype, 20 Sept. 2014
Lucybird (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
A couple of years ago everybody was raving about Before I Go To Sleep. I didn’t read it then, partly because I’m not the biggest fan of crime fiction, partly because of my ever expanding to be read pile, and partly because the last raved about crime novel I remembered reading was The Da Vinci Code- which I have no desire to re-read. My Mum had read it, and my boyfriend and a handful of people from BCF had been very positive about it.

However it wasn’t the positive reviews which made me interested so much as the slight psychological plotline- that of Christine having basically no memory. Either way I was interested enough to go out and buy myself a copy, but when my Mum was sorting out books to get rid of (we have nine bookcases in our 3-up 3-down house, so need all the space we can get!) she put Before I Go To Sleep in the pile, and I moved it to my shelves (along with The Tiger’s Wife and Her Fearful Symmetry). When I actually got around to reading it I was in the mood for something which would be a quick, easy, but (hopefully) gripping read. I read crime the way other people read chick-lit, it’s more of a relaxed easy read (generally, there is some really good crime out there that you really can’t figure out, and that is more taxing). My Mum’s reaction to it more than anything showed me that Before I Go To Sleep would be what I was looking for.

It was that as well. Gripping enough whilst it lasted, but it didn’t really leave any lingering feelings. I guessed the twist quite early on, which meant that anything else was mainly just confirming my theory, although there were enough little twists on the way to make me want to keep reading for the story itself.

I had a bit of a love hate relationship with Christine. She was just too trusting! I understand that you have to trust someone in that situation, but it wasn’t even that she trusted people she met, she tried to force herself to feel things which she thought she should feel for them, I don’t really understand that.

The story was pretty unique. Which probably puts it above other crime novels of a similar quality. However it was just of standard quality. If you’re a fan of crime novels then you may like this one, but I wouldn’t expect it to live up to hype.

5.0 out of 5 stars Before I Go To Sleep by S J Watson, 14 May 2014
Book Review: Before I Go To Sleep

By S J Watson

Christine awakens in a strange room beside a man she does not recognise. She has no idea how she got there. Even worse, when she goes to the bathroom she believes she is in her twenties until she sees her forty-seven year old self in the mirror.
Photographs show her with the man she has slept beside. He assures her he is her husband, Ben, he loves her and he will take care of her. But, he explains, due to an accident she has lost the ability to remember things for more than a few hours. She can retain information over a day but as soon as she goes to sleep at night her memories are lost, every day starts like this one!
Christine discovers that she has been seeing a doctor without Ben's knowledge. He believes he can help her but Ben insists that it is pointless and cruel to put her through more and more tests and constantly raise false hopes. Dr Nash suggests that she start a journal in which she can record what she learns each day so that she can bring herself up to date by reading it each morning instead of starting each day from scratch. He phones her after her husband goes to work to tell her to get it from its hiding place and read it.
Contradictions start to become apparent. What Ben tells her one day is not necessarily what the journal tells her he has said on another! Christine is confused and desperate to find out the truth about her 'accident' and her life since. But who can she trust?

Before I go to Sleep is a very powerful first novel, a psychological thriller that keeps the reader guessing to the end. The creation of the atmosphere, of fear and vulnerability experienced by Christine is extremely successful. The characters are convincing and plausible. The book engages the reader totally.
I read this as a book-club read or I might have missed it. I was not sure I liked the sound of it but I was so wrong. Brilliant!

Sue Almond

May 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read!, 28 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Kindle Edition)
Every morning, Christine Lucas wakes up not knowing a thing about her past. She doesn't remember the husband lying next to her, the house they are living in or what caused her to lose her memory. Every morning, her husband, Ben explains, knowing Christine will have forgotten again by the following day.

But then Christine starts to see Dr Nash, and the pair slowly start to make progress with Christine's memory, piecing together fragments of her past.

Before I Go To Sleep has been waiting on my kindle for a long time but, as the film will be released soon, I thought it was about time I read it. I've heard lots of great things about the book, so I wasn't surprised when I was immediately hooked, drawn into Christine's bewildering world of lost memories. I was so desperate to find out what had happened to Christine that I read the whole thing in a day!

I immediately felt for Christine as she tries to adjust day after day. She doesn't remember anyone - friends, family or even her husband, Ben, which must be so frightening and frustrating. I wasn't sure how Christine's story would be told - would we see her waking up each day and having to learn everything from scratch, which would have been quite repetitive? - but I thought it was quite clever how the story was put across in a more fast-paced way. Almost right from the beginning, we know something isn't quite right, so I was keen to keep reading to see how the story would unfold and what memories Christine had lurking at the surface.

I thought the book was a fantastic read, with plenty of twists and intrigue to keep you guessing and turning the pages. And now I can't wait for the film!

Before I Go To Sleep