5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible story
I do not reed a great number of books but after seeing Norman live on stage a couple of times (even at 87 he can still captivate an audience), I received this book for Christmas.
I read the book from beginning to end over a couple of days, which is unheard of for me.
Published on 2 Jan 2003 by Mike Jelfs

3.0 out of 5 stars His voice in print
As a child I loved watching Norman Wisdom's films on the television, especially "The Early Bird" and "Trouble In Store", and would be incapacitated by laughter as a result of his antics. Remembering this I bought the book to read on my Kindle on holiday.

Published on 25 July 2011 by Peter Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible story, 2 Jan 2003
Mike Jelfs (Leicestershire, England) - See all my reviews
His memory for his early years is amazing, his childhood experiences seem almost unbelievable, but what comes through most is his self belief which as becomes obvious drives him on through some truly awful events in his life which would have made may of us give up.
Once through his early years it is self confidence which drived him on to the levels that he reached in show business, the celebrities that he has met and got the respect of read like a who's who of the industry.
I can thoroughly recommend this as book to read, and hopefully you will enjoy reading it as much as I did...

5.0 out of 5 stars The King of Laughter, 9 Nov 2003
By A Customer
I got this audiobook as an early Christmas present from my wife as she knew i was a big fan of Norman Wisdom films, I was shocked and had no idea of the hardship this man went through but still came through with a smile on his face, dont get me wrong its not a gloomy book far from it you will laugh, cry and be satisfied you picked it up. I have this image in my mind when i think of Sir Norm the image of the shrunken suit but read the book to be pleasantly suprised on some of the things he has done and people he has met.......Thankyou Sir Norman for your book my favourite by far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my aching sides, 2 Oct 2003
Andrew Noble (billingham, cleveland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Once I started reading I could'nt put this book down, it is so addictive. Norman lays his life bare to us all, good and bad. From the slums of London to the heat of India, and finally to the warmth of our hearts. Norman Wisdom is a Genius, his work has been creative and inspiring. From his films and theater parts, I never knew he grew up with such hardships, this man deserves a pat on the back and a big hug from us all. Thank you Norman

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC - FUNNY - SAD - BRILLIANT READ, 21 Sep 2007
I originally brought this for my Dad and once he read it, I borrowed it back to read.

I started it this week on Wednesday evening and by Thursday at 9.15pm - I'd read all of it.

I LOVE Norman Wisdom and have grew up watching his films. I only have to see his face and I laugh.

He has lived such an amazing life and has gone through many hard times, but some wonderful ones too.

I was so sad to hear recently that he is in a nursing home on the Isle of Man and has Alzeimmers.

You will not be dissapointed with this book if you're a Norman Wisdom fan. Actually, even if your not, its still such an interesting story that you will NOT want to put down.

Lisa Perks

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Norman, 13 Aug 2010
I love Norman and decided to buy his autobiography. When I saw that it was on audio cassette I decided to order that as it would be good to listen instead. Was I surprised when I received it to find that it was Norman who was doing the talking. What a lovely down to earth man - some parts make you want to cry and then others you laugh. A real insight into this funny little man. Someone who worked all his life to become a star. I would recommend the audio cassette. Brilliant!!

3.0 out of 5 stars His voice in print, 25 July 2011
Peter Lee (Manchester ,United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: My Turn: An Autobiography (Kindle Edition)

Some autobiographies are dull and lifeless, but this book actually comes across as being a transcript of his voice - you can hear him saying every line - and part of me thinks the co-author may have put a recorder in front of Norman, asked him to talk about a particular part of his life, left the room, and then typed it up afterwards. It's actually quite infectious, but sometimes a bit rambling and could have done with an edit in places. He also spends a long, long time covering his childhood and early life working on ships, to the expense of his career in films which actually felt rather rushed and glossed over, "The Early Bird" hardly being mentioned.

All in all it was an easy, enjoyable read but slightly disappointing in my opinion. If you're a serious fan you'll doubtless love it though due to the "voice" of the book and the stories focusing on his early life.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Turn - Norman Wisdom, 27 Sep 2010
Mrs Lynne Allan (Middlesbrough, Cleveland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Loved this book tells Norman's story has sad parts but mainly funny he eserved his career he certainly put the effort in for it all :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Jan 2011
What a star, seen the films, saw him on stage and now I've read the book, from the street to a national hero, we'll miss him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Norman Wisdom My Turn, 5 Jan 2011
What a great read.
Norman had such a tough early life but he found the family he missed out on by joining the army.
His musical education grew through this time and his many talents were recognized with his performances.
This story is so poignant as it follows his wonderful career over the years.
A brilliant book for autobiography lovers.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Real Good Turn.., 22 Aug 2014
A Very Good Turn. I came to this book as a total fan of Norman Wisdom, like many I grew up on his Rank Films and his poignant pathos and mayhem brought both laughs and tears. I had previously read Richard Dacre's Trouble in Store biography which Norman credits in his own book , and I must admit I enjoyed this rather more. I was really pleased that nearly half of the book covers his harsh upbringing and his army and showbiz career up to the Rank Films. It shows a fantastic account of resiliance and determination in the face of adversity. Occasionally it leaps around - not unlike Norman ,but it provides a riviting story of someones determination not to let his impoverished past determine his future. I would have liked to have heard more about his relationship with his two wives and children, and some reflection on whether the Gump character that made him so popular also trapped in a role that sometimes saw him as a predictable type cast character which may have denied him more challenging roles. His work ethic and passion for performing leap from the page. He was never one for self pity and when slaps stick declined in popularity he recounts stories about taking his shows around the world to a huge fan base. I think there is a film to be made here about a performer and character that so many of us took to our hearts. This book provides much of the script.

My Turn: An Autobiography