Format: Audio CDChange

on 31 August 2011
Firstly, I love this guy, he can do no wrong in my book, so I'm going to be blatantly biased. But anyone wanting an honest review will still get one here. I mean, great music is the reason why we fall in love with a band in the first place right?
So here it is, out for quite a few months already, but I thought I needed to put my feelings out there. 'The Hardship Diaries' is Dave Mcphersons first fully reckonised solo long player, and what an album. If you're a big fan of InMe like myself, then you will already be familiar with the prog-tech-metal that they make, and mirroring that, the more sensitive touching tracks they delve into occassionally. Apparently Dave has been out on his own doing stuff for a while now, and already has a rich catalogue to his name, with various EP's and other projects such as Primordial Soup, a sort of 'Aphex Twin' style drill and bass electro with his trademark vocals and harmonies. But for me, this album truly brings him to the fore, showing his craftmanship as a great songwriter, and singer. There's elements of Jeff Buckley influenced in his vocal style and songwriting, though still in his own unique way, which I really picked up on in the brilliant 'Thanks for Leaving Me' on InMe's magnificent third 'Daydream Anonymous' when it first came out, and this is a genuine compliment, to have the ability to craft songs to the level of past geniuses. Added to this his guitar work is stunning, and the production, once again, as with all InMe's work, sounds immaculate. It's broken into seasons, each one having 3 tracks, and these actually do reflect the mood, quite a difficult thing to achieve! In 'Spring, The track 'Is this all we are?'my personal favourite actually had my girlfriend in tears'! It's that heartrendering.'Summer-She puts me in a good mood',is just beautiful! and a lament to his present girlfriend which makes it all the more touching. 'Love Rats' tells the story of Dave's anger at dishonesty, a message to the unfaithful and the pain it causes.. Autumns 'Hibernation' almost feels like a reawakening of life, a new found love in the guise of his girlfriend, taking his emotions to new heights, and this shows in the colourful lyrics..
Dave also manages to capture a moment in time with his lyrics, always taking you to a place in the past present or future, and often deeply personal, but always affecting. His songs really do resonate with me.
I was lucky enough to see him play in a little Rock pub called The Ship in Croydon, and his performance blew me away, and for free! It's a credit to his integrity that he can do these gigs and perform faultlessly, over the years I've paid to see bands that wouldnt even come close to his talent. What a humble and truly genuine guy. The kind of honesty that's lost in todays music industry, and one that will always shine brighter than the million superstar wannabes out there today. This album can only bring great things for InMe's fifth 'The Pride' and with talent like that, this tragically underrated band will still be creating some of the best music this country has to offer. The boy from Essex has really grown into something the world should know about..
on 24 September 2011
I have been a fan of the InMe band for many years and have followed Dave doing his solo stuff via myspace and facebook and when this was released I had to buy it! It's a grower and I think they are truly the best albums! I do a lot of driving and so had this playing non stop as I eat the miles. Stand outs have to be "before I even had you" and "listen to the music".

A lot of love has been put in to the making of the album, it is fantastic work! and certainly hope there is more to come!
on 17 May 2011
It was my wife who introduced me to Dave Mcpherson years ago, we seen him twice in acoustic shows and countless of times as InMe (Best Band Ever). A very talented musician, who puts his heart and soul to all his work.

We own many of his ep's and this is his 1st debut album. AMAZING ALBUM!!

We got this album early through PLEDGE MUSIC, it is worth the money.

Best songs are:

Before i even had you
Summer: she puts me in a good mood
Love Rats
Hummingbird
on 17 July 2011
First heard about Dave Mcpherson from INME, which I'm a massive fan of. During his time with INME Dave has done many acoustic songs as B sides which are brilliant and worth a listen, didn't realise he had done other solo acoustic stuff during his time with INME, only realised this when he did an acoustic set at Download festival, Dave was awesome to watch and is a really good performer to see live, so I bought the album. I think all the songs are really good and shows what talent he has being a solo artist. His distinctive voice is shown throughout and his ability to play a guitar is amazing. Some of his songs are quiet and relaxing with others being upbeat and catchy but there is a definite love for all the songs. I prefer his more upbeat songs and I suppose if your a fan of upbeat acoustic songs you may be put off by the quieter ones and also visa versa. Anybody who has heard of Dave's previous music talent won't be disappointed by this album.
on 15 November 2012
I've always been a fan of InMe and enjoyed listening to Dave's solo efforts, but I don't think that even I was prepared for quite how good this album is. It's extremely chilled out and every song is so heartfelt. I must say I've familiarised with every song on this album. I've had it for a couple of months now and it hasn't left my in car CD player, listen to it several times a week and definitely will not get bored.

This is a must have for InMe fans, and general music fans! I couldn't recommend it highly enough. Apparently Dave is in the process of writing a new album, and I for one cannot wait!
on 18 May 2011
Got a signed copy of this through PledgeMusic - The Hardship Diaries is a very epic, acoustic and catchy album that seems to tell a story through the seasons. My 2 year old son sings along to it already :) His favourite song is 'Before I Even Had You.' Mine would have to be... 'Love Rats' which has an incredible chorus. The video for 'Summer: She Puts Me In A Good Mood' is on YouTube if you need further reassurance of Dave's incredible talent. Highly recommended for any acoustic music lover!!
on 24 May 2011
This bloke has SUCH talent ! Seriously good Summer listening, Ive had it on loop since I got it a few weeks ago, there's only one way this guy can go, and that's Forward at full speed !
on 2 September 2011
There are verry few artists I ever bother buying all albums for. Inme/Muse/Skunk Anansie are pretty much it. so when I saw this solo album of Daves I wasnt to sure on it, tho being a massive fan of Inme helpd sway my choice, and all I can say is his talent is just astounding.

All his songs have feeling to them that Dave puts accross so well and its just a plessure to sit back and listen to. and track 4 does exactly as the title says, "puts me in a good mood"