4.0 out of 5 stars A rarity

Published on 8 Feb 2012 by Mr. K. H. Cobb

1.0 out of 5 stars Hard to read, 8 Feb 2012
Mr. K. H. Cobb (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Diary of Samuel Pepys - Complete (Kindle Edition)
I got this to test out my new Kindle, not so much to read as I have the full version in hardback. I'm glad I don't have to rely on this. The text is all there, but endlessly interrupted by scholarly additions and annotations. These would have been useful as a separate appendix, but are very annoying if you just want to read the Diary. Free, though, so I can't complain, but I think I'll stick to the books.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating read, but utterly flawed on Kindle, 5 Oct 2011
This review is from: Diary of Samuel Pepys - Complete (Kindle Edition)
Firstly, the diary is a fascinating read, and really gives a window into the lives and affairs of people in the 17th century (albeit, very wealthy, prviledged people).

However, this kindle edition is completely flawed, to the point of being completely unreadable in places. The problem is that the editor has chosen to constantly place notes throughout the text. Not an an appendix or a footnotes but throughout the text, and usually mid sentence. This makes the text almost impossible to read, as every sentence is broken up by long paragraphs of background material.

Unfortunately this is one of those occassions where it's worth steering clear of the Kindle version and buying a paper edition instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars Diary of Samuel Pepys - Complete [Kindle Edition] ASIN: B002RHP42S, 9 Jan 2011
*This Kindle review mainly focuses on the technical aspects of the download*

I've spent a couple of days wading through the multiple versions of Samuel Pepys's diary in the Kindle Store looking for a complete and unabridged version that is "Kindle friendly." None of them are what I'd class as truly "friendly" to the electronic format, but this edition - Diary of Samuel Pepys - Complete (with the faux Penguin "orange stripe" cover) - is better than most.

Firstly, you can download this as 10 separate volumes - one for each year - or go for the cheaper edition which covers the entire diary. Choosing to do the latter raises a slight niggle, however: there is a linked TOC to all years and months, but they are contained within a table/frame. It seems impossible to navigate any further than the first year using the Kindle's conventional buttons. The only way I found to do this was to go to an actual location address. Location "80", for example, takes you to 1967/68 (or thereabouts). Once in the contents you can move back and forth with the Kindle's page buttons, but this is a major oversight from whoever produced this version. It's a shame, because most of the other Kindle versions have no such contents linking.

The other issue is the editor's notes within the text. You'll find these popping up quite regularly within the text contained in square brackets. The longer notes are separated as larger paragraphs. Some of these come in the middle of sentences so it can interrupt the flow of the diary. It is a shame that these notes were not included as linkable footnotes which is much more suited to the electronic format. For an excellent example of how footnotes should work on the Kindle, check out The Holy Bible English Standard Version (ESV).

But this is a public domain book - you can even find the "prepared HTML" document which people have clearly used to produce this - so we can only expect limited production values.

As mentioned above, this is one of the better formatted versions of the diary, though. Once you get round the contents problem it's easy to find what you're looking for. Shame about the interruptive notes though. I'd say it's worth the (less than) three quid if you are looking for the complete work in a suitable format.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous read, 22 July 2014
This review is from: Diary of Samuel Pepys - Complete (Kindle Edition)
I have thought about reading Sam's diary for some time and thought as it was free I would take the plunge. As yet I don't really feel I am getting into the diary as such. There is a lot of academic explanation that interrupts the flow and trying to read it on a Kindle in bed at night is a dangerous pastime as each time I slip into slumber I smack my chops with a heavy electrical device.
I'll keep going it might improve.

4.0 out of 5 stars A rarity, 30 July 2014
This review is from: Diary of Samuel Pepys - Complete (Kindle Edition)
not often do you get such an insight into times past. Not only do you get personal accounts of known historical events but glimpses inside the mind of 17th century man . Personally , I find the descriptions of places in and around Cambridge fascinating ,though bear in mind it is mostly about London. Many places are still recognisable today . A book to read over a long time. This will not be read in one sitting! You will not always like this man but his inner struggle to try and do the right thing is somewhat endearing .

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 14 July 2014
This review is from: Diary of Samuel Pepys - Complete (Kindle Edition)
So far so good still working my way through it

5.0 out of 5 stars LIFE AT THE TIME OF CHARLES II, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: Diary of Samuel Pepys - Complete (Kindle Edition)
I am only part way through this book but I am finding it very interesting. One of my ancestors was in London at that time and it is nice to see what life was like in those days

5.0 out of 5 stars Diary of Samuel Pepys, 10 Jun 2014
This review is from: Diary of Samuel Pepys - Complete (Kindle Edition)
Excellent read , but not to be read all at once something to dip into for relaxation.I keep it permanently on my Kindle.

3.0 out of 5 stars A long read but informative, 11 Mar 2014
This review is from: Diary of Samuel Pepys - Complete (Kindle Edition)
Wanted to read Pepys, for a while and this seemed a simplified version to read over my hols with the Kindle. was not disappointed but you need to be into historical events or I think you may find this hard going..

2.0 out of 5 stars Diary of Samuel Pepys, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: Diary of Samuel Pepys - Complete (Kindle Edition)
I think like some people I found the book hard to follow there seemed to be no clear start and end. It was a shame I could not read it there is so mush I would have like to known about the great fire etc. witness by someone who was there.

Diary of Samuel Pepys - Complete