Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 16 February 2014
I really liked reading these. I don't know much about the original fairy tales, so I cannot compare, however I found this book a very enjoyable one.
There are the classic bedtime stories, the ones we all know (but they are written in such an amazing way, they feel new) and then, there are the ones you've never heard, and I found it so interesting and fun.
They are great for reading aloud, but if you were planning to read this to a young child, let me warn you... some of the stories are a bit gruesome. There's one where a couple crushes a someone's skull with a millstone, for example, and quite a few where someone is hanged, etc. They are wonderful stories, please don't get me wrong, but I'm just pointing out that it might be an idea to read them through first.
I hope that didn't put you off, because I love them, and at that price who cares anyway whether it's to your taste or not!
I'd say do it.
on 1 April 2012
This was the first book I read on my lovely new Kindle. Oh the excitement!

I suppose though my method of reading them was not the best. I read them all one after the other and that did make them all seem to blend together a little, and made the similar ones so much more obviously similar. There was a certain strangeness about it.

A lot of the stories of course I knew, but I was surprised by some of the differences, and that there were so many I didn't know. I especially enjoyed The Six Swans and although there were aspects I recognised it was not a story I really knew which made me wonder why it is not more well known.

The stories were simple and easy to read, perfect bedtime reading
on 18 July 2012
The layout of the free Kindle edition of this book is a fine one, without layout absurdities like in other free Kindle editions of Grimm's tales (e.g. ASIN: B0082QF338). However, the texts are not very close to the German original. For example, the tale "The Frog-Prince" (in German "Der Froschkönig oder der eiserne Heinrich" = "The Frog-King, or Iron Henry") begins in the original (and in ASIN: B0082QF338): "In old times, when wishing still helped one, [...]" whereas in this book, the translator comes straight to the point: "One fine evening, a young princess put on her bonnet and clogs, [...]". In this rather free translation, the text suffers quite a loss.

A poor text. With a good layout for the free kindle edition. Nevertheless: Not recommended.
on 18 May 2014
I downloaded two other Grimm books, to compare the texts.
This edition has got an excellent layout, but the text really differs from 'Household Tales', the version I like most because the text is close to the original.
Please download B0082QF338 (Household Tales), not this one.
Luigi442wii
on 1 March 2013
... which have left without any doubt an indelible mark on the Western cultures, a testament to the brilliance and skill of Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm.

Synopsis:
"The classic fairy tales compiled by Jacob and Wilhelm, the Brothers Grimm (1812) are stories of dark wisdom with a bite. Not for the faint-hearted, not for the weak of spirit, not for anyone expecting childish fluff. Contained within these pages are fairy tales that show the dark beauty of truth, and the cold mirror of common sense, clad in the rich glamour of the imagination."

But I only can recommend this oh so complete collection of more than 50 of the most known fables and fairy tales, but also minors aren't neglected.
I - personally (a German) - have rarely seen a collection so complete and also well translated like this!

OK - I loaded it down as a Freebie on March 01, 2013 - but whatever its cost may be - it is worth it!

So - to all interested readers - have a very nice read and...
pass those Fairy Tales along to Your little ones!
Because they are worth it...
on 8 August 2015
I chose this rating because it was a great book but it could have some of the more modern translations in it instead of using all the old words. I would recommend this book to any child above the age of 7/8 as there are some words I didn't understand and I am only thirteen
on 17 October 2014
Interesting to see the originals that Disney worked their magic on. There's a similarity across some of the stories where you can see that perhaps they are mutated versions of the same original that have morphed as they were told.

Also there are a number of fairy stories that I hadn't heard before, them not having quite entered popular consciousness where I grew up. Possibly some of these would be the kernel of some good stories, Grimm's style is very much tell and no show. That suits the sort of morality tales these are, intended for someone to simply recount them at bedtime or round the fire or dinner table. They've come from an oral tradition, and anything taking longer to tell than 10 to 20 minutes would be too complex.

Still, it is an interesting piece of folk history and I'm glad I read these stories.
on 3 October 2013
Five stars for the eBook, which is exactly what it claims to be. It's well formatted and was free but OMG. With a few exceptions, these stories stink. Most don't flow at all, and are full of WTF moments that don't even make fairytale sense. For example, in Hansel and Gretel, when (spoiler alert) the witch is defeated and the story calls for a swift, satisfying end, the Grimm version instead confronts the children with a great stretch of water and no means to cross. Gretel, ever the logical one, calls a little duck over:
"Hansel seated himself on it's back, and told his sister to sit by him. 'No,' replied Gretel, 'that will be too heavy for the little duck; she shall take us across, one after the other."

Read one at a time, then read something good in between. Not suitable for kids (unless you hate them).
on 23 September 2015
Oh my! I am going to have fun with this book, reading it to my young Grandchildren. I was always told stories, never read them, so did not realise they were so old fashioned in the language. Never mind, I shall have fun translating the old fashioned and original stories into modern everyday tales the kids will love. Nothing wrong with this book in its original form, it is just that I am used to reading stories such as the Hungry Caterpiller, etc. in modern language. Just the thing to get my brain working.....
on 12 May 2016
This is a really great collection of the Brother’s Grimm fairy tales….probably not what you’d expect to be read at Primary School, but a great selection of the more famous tales and some lesser known ones. Some of the stories are little heavy on the death and revenge side…so reading to someone of a very young can be a little tricky.
They’re well set out for reading on a Kindle, and there’s enough variety to keep anyone entertained.