4.0 out of 5 stars Grimm's Fairytales
This was the first book I read on my lovely new Kindle. Oh the excitement!

I suppose though my method of reading them was not the best. I read them all one after the other and that did make them all seem to blend together a little, and made the similar ones so much more obviously similar. There was a certain strangeness about it.

A lot of the stories...
Published on 1 April 2012 by Lucybird

Published on 18 July 2012 by Londonlinguist

4.0 out of 5 stars Grimm's Fairytales, 1 April 2012
Lucybird (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grimm's Fairy Tales (Kindle Edition)
This was the first book I read on my lovely new Kindle. Oh the excitement!

A lot of the stories of course I knew, but I was surprised by some of the differences, and that there were so many I didn't know. I especially enjoyed The Six Swans and although there were aspects I recognised it was not a story I really knew which made me wonder why it is not more well known.

The stories were simple and easy to read, perfect bedtime reading

5.0 out of 5 stars The Famous Fairy Tales collected by the Brothers Grimm..., 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: Grimm's Fairy Tales (Kindle Edition)
... which have left without any doubt an indelible mark on the Western cultures, a testament to the brilliance and skill of Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm.

Synopsis:
"The classic fairy tales compiled by Jacob and Wilhelm, the Brothers Grimm (1812) are stories of dark wisdom with a bite. Not for the faint-hearted, not for the weak of spirit, not for anyone expecting childish fluff. Contained within these pages are fairy tales that show the dark beauty of truth, and the cold mirror of common sense, clad in the rich glamour of the imagination."

But I only can recommend this oh so complete collection of more than 50 of the most known fables and fairy tales, but also minors aren't neglected.
I - personally (a German) - have rarely seen a collection so complete and also well translated like this!

OK - I loaded it down as a Freebie on March 01, 2013 - but whatever its cost may be - it is worth it!

So - to all interested readers - have a very nice read and...
pass those Fairy Tales along to Your little ones!
Because they are worth it...

1.0 out of 5 stars fine Kindle edition but quite far from the original text - therefore disappointing, 18 July 2012
This review is from: Grimm's Fairy Tales (Kindle Edition)
The layout of the free Kindle edition of this book is a fine one, without layout absurdities like in other free Kindle editions of Grimm's tales (e.g. ASIN: B0082QF338). However, the texts are not very close to the German original. For example, the tale "The Frog-Prince" (in German "Der Froschkönig oder der eiserne Heinrich" = "The Frog-King, or Iron Henry") begins in the original (and in ASIN: B0082QF338): "In old times, when wishing still helped one, [...]" whereas in this book, the translator comes straight to the point: "One fine evening, a young princess put on her bonnet and clogs, [...]". In this rather free translation, the text suffers quite a loss.

A poor text. With a good layout for the free kindle edition. Nevertheless: Not recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rewritten!, 18 May 2014
This review is from: Grimm's Fairy Tales (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded two other Grimm books, to compare the texts.
This edition has got an excellent layout, but the text really differs from 'Household Tales', the version I like most because the text is close to the original.
Please download B0082QF338 (Household Tales), not this one.
Luigi442wii

4.0 out of 5 stars I Like This Book, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: Grimm's Fairy Tales (Kindle Edition)
I really liked reading these. I don't know much about the original fairy tales, so I cannot compare, however I found this book a very enjoyable one.
There are the classic bedtime stories, the ones we all know (but they are written in such an amazing way, they feel new) and then, there are the ones you've never heard, and I found it so interesting and fun.
They are great for reading aloud, but if you were planning to read this to a young child, let me warn you... some of the stories are a bit gruesome. There's one where a couple crushes a someone's skull with a millstone, for example, and quite a few where someone is hanged, etc. They are wonderful stories, please don't get me wrong, but I'm just pointing out that it might be an idea to read them through first.
I hope that didn't put you off, because I love them, and at that price who cares anyway whether it's to your taste or not!
I'd say do it.

4.0 out of 5 stars an interesting piece of folk history, 17 Oct 2014
James Kemp (Merstham, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grimm's Fairy Tales (Kindle Edition)
Interesting to see the originals that Disney worked their magic on. There's a similarity across some of the stories where you can see that perhaps they are mutated versions of the same original that have morphed as they were told.

Also there are a number of fairy stories that I hadn't heard before, them not having quite entered popular consciousness where I grew up. Possibly some of these would be the kernel of some good stories, Grimm's style is very much tell and no show. That suits the sort of morality tales these are, intended for someone to simply recount them at bedtime or round the fire or dinner table. They've come from an oral tradition, and anything taking longer to tell than 10 to 20 minutes would be too complex.

Still, it is an interesting piece of folk history and I'm glad I read these stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
really lovely book!

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoy again, 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: Grimm's Fairy Tales (Kindle Edition)
loved this book as a child and am enjoying it all over again as an oap will be getting more for my e-book

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 Jun 2014
This review is from: Grimm's Fairy Tales (Kindle Edition)
So many stories that we all know as part of our culture. Passed down through generations as the best stories are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Traditional tales for all!, 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: Grimm's Fairy Tales (Kindle Edition)
You will love these short stories! They are as relevant and exciting today as they have ever been! Why not give them a try?

Grimm's Fairy Tales