5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, sassy inspiration for women of all ages
Published on 14 April 2011 by Jessica Chivers

3.0 out of 5 stars How to kick-start your career
Has not held my attention in the early part of the book but as I have it as an ebook I keep forgetting I have it. I'll get around to reading it all one day
Published 16 months ago by eils

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, sassy inspiration for women of all ages, 14 April 2011
More to Life Than Shoes is a book you can pick up for five minutes or fifty minutes and come away believing you have it in you to turn your life around. More than a career book, MTLT is a source of inspiration and practical tools for kick-starting the journey towards achieving ANY of your (wistful) dreams - which may of course be career-bound. The front cover might suggest this is a book for young women - it's not. Both men and women, young and old can get something from it, although it is especially relevant for someone who feels drained or despondent with the way their working life is at the moment.

The authors combine self deprecating wit and warmth with case study after case study of women who've achieved some incredible things. They deconstruct how each woman they profile has achieved what they have and draw out insights for the reader to take away and use in her own life right now. That's what makes it a powerful and useful read and why I will be recommending to some of my clients.

Being a writer myself (Mothers Work!: How to Get a Grip on Guilt and Make a Smooth Return to Work) I liked the profile of Joanne Harris who says it's OK to walk away from your PC on days when the words just aren't coming. My favourite story though, was that of Hilary Lister, the quadriplegic who sailed the coast of Britain single-handedly. I shan't say anymore but suffice to say the book will move you and highly likely to make you take action on your own life. If it doesn't, you'd do well to try the More To Life Than Shoes group meetings in towns across the UK.

4.0 out of 5 stars Feel the pain and do it anyway - with jokes!, 3 May 2011
What a great book this is! Using interviews and examples from high-profile and successful women, combined with their own friendly, warm yet funny writing, Nadia and Emily have created a must have 'manual' for any woman wishing to take the plunge and either change career OR set up their own business. What is particularly invaluable is the contribution from women from such a wide variety of industries. Each chapter is summarised with 'Top Tips' and targets and each section is broken into smaller parts so it is easier to dip in for information.

I have already bought another copy for my young assistant who is wanting to set up her own business.

Congratulations to Nadia and Emily for writing such a user friendly, yet invaluable book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Right on sisters, 27 April 2011
Have you ever had one of those days, weeks or years where all you seem to be saying is "I can't", "I'm not pretty enough", "I wish I could but..." or "I hate my job and wish I could be a wing-walker", well if you have then this is the book for you. It leaves you feeling that you can take on the world, if that is what you want to do of course!

As women we so often have images of scantily clad vacuous celebs thrown in our faces that we can easily fall into the trap that this is what we need to aspire to. What this book does is say: `hang on a minute what about these awesome, inspiring women who are doing amazing things'.

The book is a series of interviews, joined up by a funny and human narrative from Nadia Finer and Emily Nash. A real mixture of women are interviewed in the book highlighting that there are many different ways to do something that you are passionate about. All the way through reading these interviews I was yelling "right on sister." My personal favourites were Sharon Barry for starting Storybook Dads a charity that helps prisoners to read bedtime stories to their kids and Annie Nightingale for still rocking at 69.

Along side the interviews there are some really useful top tips boxes, for example I liked the one on staying calm. A great resources section at the back, I can see myself returning to it time and time again for direction. And the More To Life Than Shoes manifesto that I am going to pin on my wall! So the next time I catch myself moaning "I can't" I'll remember the inspiration I felt when reading this book!

A fantastic read. I would highly recommend this book to any one, man or woman, who knows that there is something more out there for them but just needs a little help where to start!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wowser - what an inspiration!, 19 April 2011
B. Furness "furneem" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
I am not often one for reading these kinds of books, well I pick them up but I never get through more than a few pages but this one was so different! It has been written with so much personality, honesty and thought and I read the whole thing in 2 days! It is packed with inspiration, but not pie in the sky inspiration, real women kind of inspiration, we all know goals need to be realistic but sometimes our own lack of self confidence means our realistic goals may not be as high as they could be - this book will put paid to that! Real women talking about extraordinary achievements in the most down to earth way will make any reader take a good look at their goals and up them to the next level.

I was going to pass this on as I know plenty of women who could benefit from a book like this but nope, I'm keeping this copy and now friends birthday presents will be an easy purchase!

Nadia and Emily - you have done a fantastic job and thank you for seeing your project through!

5.0 out of 5 stars More to Life than Shoes, 26 Mar 2011
Every time I dip into this compelling little book, it pushes my buttons and sends motivational tingles down my spine.

It is written by two women, Nadia and Emily, on a quest to improve their lives and follow their dreams - but they don't know how to do it, so they talk to all sorts of successful women to learn their secrets. They take us on the journey with them and together we work it out. It is a fun read, full of human interest stories that are totally engaging and inspiring. Nadia and Emily pull together what they have learned to provide us with tips, help and support but, unlike other `self-help' books, it is not preachy - It is more like a chat with your best friend.

I think it is a `must have' for every woman with a pulse.

5.0 out of 5 stars more to life than shoes, 29 Jun 2011
A most inspiring read!

For those looking for the nudge they need to make the change, this book is perfect. With real life scenarios from leading women and a comprehensive chapter summary of top tips, Nadia and Emily have made it impossible not to take action!!

Even for those of us who are not looking for a life overhaul, the book makes for an incredibly interesting read that will reignite your desire to do all those things that you know will take your life / business to the next level but you never get round to doing!!

Well done, Nadia and Emily, I will most definitely be recommending your book to all that I meet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, fabulous book!!!!!!, 13 May 2011
This review is from: More to Life Than Shoes: How to Kick-start Your Career and Change Your Life (Kindle Edition)
This book is a must have for any woman trying to achieve something. A truly inspirational read that should become a bible for motivating all women to keep striving for their goals.

Thank you and I cannot wait for the next version!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bags of inspiration from some of today's most successful women, 26 April 2011
It's impossible not to be inspired by this book, with its cheeky, easy-reading upbeat tone. This is no preachy, self-help book and Nadia and Emily don't take themselves too seriously. They're just a couple of real people juggling all the demands of life and writing a book in their spare time - something that makes it all the more plausible.

'More to Life Than Shoes' is packed with women who didn't just moan but got on and did something to change their lives - and often those of others too. Where else can you hear the secrets of success from women as diverse as fighter jet pilot Jo Salter, 'The Lady' editor Rachel Johnson and Kanya King who created the MOBOs?

The book won't give you a ready-made solution to all your dreams, ambitions and frustrations but it will give you bags of inspiration. There are helpful, motivational soundbites at the end of each profile, as well as a wealth of resources at the back.

I especially liked the section on receiving feedback which is always a tricky thing to handle. The book's not all about work and business though, you'll find it useful whatever it is that you want to change in your life. There are tips on de-cluttering, getting organised and finding confidence.

So what are waiting for? No more procrastination, it's time to kick-start you career and change your life. There is more to life than shoes, but a funky new pair might make a nice reward when you've achieved your first step along the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars change your shoes...(!), 26 Feb 2012
I have not read all of this book and the format of it allows for dipping in and still getting something of use I feel. The tone is lighthearted but not frivolous I find because the information and ideas are so far genuinely helpful. The authors seem wise,reassuring and non-judgemental and, although I have nothing against American self-help books which can be great, I was surprised to see such a work form two English women. So often this positive stuff seems to have to come out of America. Not patronising or expecting perfection nor advocating any affirmations or such (again fine when done properly) but just things to do that could help written in a chatty sometimes amusing way.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspirational, 6 Jan 2012
A. stephenson (england) - See all my reviews
I LOVE this book.
It's for those moments when you question yourself for doing something brave; Read this and its reassuring that others have done it too.
An inspirational book without being too preaching; If you're motivated you can achieve your goals.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›