5.0 out of 5 stars Remastered again!
'Zeit' is Tangerine Dream's most avant garde album of all... basically no rhythm, no melody, just 4 x 20 minutes of dark, cavernous, droning sound effects. However if you're buying this remastered repackaged edition in 2012, you probably already knew that! Personally I love it (the first track in particular, with its microtonal cello drones, is especially hardcore :)...
Published on 3 May 2012 by feline1

1.0 out of 5 stars Only gets 1 star because I can't give 0
This album has got to be the most tedious monotonous drone I've ever heard, I gave it a chance and listened to it with an open mind and just wished I hadn't, complete waste of time. Yes, it was made before my time but so is most of the music I listen to, this is music I wont be listening to again. Pretentious crap
Published 16 months ago by Pen Name

5.0 out of 5 stars Remastered again!, 3 May 2012
feline1 (Brighton, Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zeit (Expanded Edition) (Audio CD)

This Reactive/Esoteric release has done an excellent job of restoring the original artwork, and includes an insightful essay and extra photos - the packaging is a real treat.

In terms of the remaster itself, I already owned the 2005 CD release by Castle. Reactive's remaster is actually *quieter* (a novelty in these days of loudness wars!), with a little more top end clarity and allowing the material to breath more (Castle's edition had compressed it a bit, which I felt over-emphasized the bassier drones).

Another treat for collectors is a 2nd CD in the package, of a 1972 live performance at "Klangwald". The performance is in the same vein as Zeit: long drones and organ note clusters and extreme ominous eerieness. If you enjoy Zeit, you should enjoy this too! My one criticism would be the mastering of this live material: doubtless it was sourced from some pretty grotty old hiss-ridden tape, but they have subjected it to rather overly-agressive hiss reduction, producing audible metallic gurgle-wurgle artefacts as a side effect. I find it surprising that a professional mastering engineer would do such a hamfisted job of this (particularly when seemingly no hiss-reduction at all has been applied to Zeit itself). This does make me wonder if the fan/collector who supplied the original live bootleg tape applied to the hiss reduction himself? Still, it's fascinating to hear the material.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning ..., 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: Zeit (Expanded Edition) (Audio CD)
I have a few favourite albums that I really love. My top favourite album for the past 34 years has been Grateful Dead - "Live/Dead". Tangerine Dream - "Zeit" isn't that great but comes really close. I don't know what to write about it because it stunned me - in a positive way. It really blew my mind. I can somehow understand why the great and late John Peel held this album as maybe the best "rock" album to be released in 1972.

This album is not for party animals - unless you relly need something to soothe your tired inner self with!! This is music to relax to, to lay down with closed eyes and just BE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cosmische Musik ?, 16 Jun 2011
T. Braddick (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zeit (Expanded Edition) (Audio CD)
TD's early LP's came with a note refering to cosmic music (on some issues, anyway), and their first three LP's (post Electronic Meditation which Polydor/ Virgin didn't buy up) probably fit what you might expect that description to deliver. 'Alpha Centauri' is clearly a space reference, 'Atem' (Breath, if my memory serves me correctly) and 'Zeit' (Time) suggest cosmic things to me, but it doesn't matter if you don't get the imagery. If you are not clued up on TD history, this is pre-sequencer so Zeit tends to meander gently through each piece based on cello, organ and early synthesiser. This is very understated music, so you probably need to be in the right mood for it, but it would be among my desert island discs if I could only keep 12 albums. It always makes me think of creation/ big bang/ evolution and I particularly like relaxing in the garden or on a beach with it on headphones.

Edgar's painting around this time were also worthy of praise - I love his artwork on the early LP's and it's a pity modern CD's don't do them justice. At least it's all replicated here. The booklet is a good size for this sort of release with 'photos of what appears to be the Koln performance in progress which I don't recall seeing before (high time Edgar wrote a biography of TD), but long term fans may not identify anything worthwhile that they hadn't picked up elsewhere.

Klangwald was originally made available via a TD fan website as part of the legendary Tangerine Tree, so some of the people credited are the guys who did the first remaster from as close to the original recordings they could get their hands on. If you haven't heard it before, it is similar in nature to Zeit, but different as it was done live and it is amongst my most regularly listened to 'fan recordings', so it's good to have it as an official release. I was hoping that this might have been taken directly from the broadcasters original, but it seems not to be the case. If you have got the remaster released about three years ago and aren't interested in Klangwald, it's probably not worth buying again, but in my opinion, if you like Zeit, you'll almost certainly like Klangwald.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: Zeit (Expanded Edition) (Audio CD)
This is simply the birth of ambient music, breathtaking and chilling. A Must Have. With the bonus live tracks, brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars True electronic music., 25 Aug 2011
This review is from: Zeit (Expanded Edition) (Audio CD)
Zeit is a great album if you like the early space music of Tangerine Dream. Yes its long and some might see it as challenging but for those who enjoy the music of Ligeti, Arvo Part, and enjoy soundtracks like Forbidden Planet they will find much to enjoy here. This is real electronic music not sugar coated new-age pap for the fan of commercial music who wants to dip their finger into the electronic music world. Sadly TD of late have done far too much sugary music and this album reminds us of how awesome they used to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Always been one of my favourite albums since I had it on vinyl, 10 Oct 2014
This review is from: Zeit (Expanded Edition) (Audio CD)
Always been one of my favourite albums since I had it on vinyl.
Great to have the extra track of the concert added.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stands the test of time, 24 Mar 2014
M. W. Hall "just_martin" (Guildford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zeit (Expanded Edition) (Audio CD)
ok - let's rewind the clock and go back in (ahem) Zeit. Somewhere in the attic, I have this on an extremely worn piece of vinyl. I bought Phaedra on a whim, was at their first ever UK performance (a very green 16 or 17 year old) and was gradually working back through their catalogue. I don't remember much about this one, probably because my stereo wasn't up to reproducing it properly.

Anyway, flash forward and 40 years later and I'm not afraid of Stockhausen. Long slow soundscapes are not places of dread. How does it sound now?

Well, to my mind, it doesn't really show the passing of the years. The opening cellos recall other composers working at the time or slightly before it, like the aforementioned Stockhausen or Messaien. The second track with its loops sounds as if it inspired some of the Fripp/Eno work. And it's music with a heart, sound intending to convey something.

If anything is dated about this album, it's the name of the band and the titles of the tracks - but you can give them new names if you like, it's not going to affect the lovely sounds.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only gets 1 star because I can't give 0, 3 Aug 2013

Zeit (Expanded Edition)
Zeit (Expanded Edition) by Tangerine Dream (Audio CD - 2011)