5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy. No regrets at all!!!

FIRST OF ALL ABOUT LENOVO:

Published on 7 July 2011 by Bucas

1.0 out of 5 stars Dodgy Lenovo warranty...Don't buy any Lenovo PC
Published on 27 July 2012 by Mr

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy. No regrets at all!!!, 7 July 2011
This review is from: Lenovo G570 15.6 inch Laptop (Core i5-2410M, RAM 6GB, HDD 640GB, DVDRW, Windows 7 Home Premium) - Black (Personal Computers)

FIRST OF ALL ABOUT LENOVO:

"Lenovo is a Chinese multinational computer technology corporation that develops, manufactures and markets desktops and notebook personal computers, workstations, servers, storage drives, IT management software, and related services

"Lenovo acquired IBM's Personal Computing Division and created a new company that brings the strengths of IBM's legendary PC business together with those of Lenovo, that will provide the widest range of PC products and technologies to businesses, worldwide.

With this agreement, Lenovo becomes the world's third-largest PC company and a key, strategic IBM business partner. Lenovo will have all of the strengths of IBM's existing PC division, including research, development, design, and manufacturing capabilities.

Lenovo, which is listed on the Hong Kong stock exchange, is one of China's largest companies. Created in 1984, Lenovo was the first to introduce the concept of home computers in China. Since 1997 it has been the leading PC brand in China and across Asia, with annual revenues of approximately $3 billion. Lenovo is principally engaged in the manufacture and sale of branded personal computers and handheld devices. With this agreement, Lenovo achieves a size that would have put it into the top five of Fortune Magazine's annual computer industry ranking."

First Impressions:

*DELIVERY AND CONTENTS:

Item Arrived next day, in a very well packaged box, so in total 2 boxes, the laptop Box inside another Box.

Contents were minimalist with only the power charger, battery, booklets and of course the laptop.

*LOOKS AND FEEL

At first sight, I immediately fell in love with the lines, design and colour of the laptop. It looks way better, live than in the pictures (actually on the web pictures it does not look that good), but just wait until you unravel it. It looked and felt very executive like. Again very minimalist, without lots of buttons and lights around, but that is the way I like it. This laptop is definitely NOT a "TANK", to me it really looks nice and posh.

The laptop is though a real magnet for fingerprints due to the glossy finish used on the back of the screen as well as the charcoal-grey brushed-metallic look around the keyboard.
The area surrounding the screen is protected with factory protective plastic, which I have not removed yet and have no intention of doing so until it peels of by itself due to usage.
The lights of the laptop are a nice sort of "baby blue", which is really pleasant to the eye.

*SOFTWARE

My G570 comes with minimal intrusive software package, only the necessary, i.e. Ms Office ( only word and excel) Cyberlink (cd burning), Lenovo DirectShare( file synchronization ), VeriFace (face recognition), OneKey (system recovery and backup) MacAfee (anti virus), etc... I personally removed MacAfee right away as I am not fond of it.

* PERFORMANCE
First impressions with regards to performance are that I find the G570 to be very, very fast indeed specially in between applications. Multitasking is a breeze, kind of like slicing through a bar of butter with a hot knife. I have installed most of my Video editing and Photography software and the laptop just "swallows" them like mini breakfast, no problems. Internet browsing is slightly slower, but I think that this is due to Net speed and bottlenecks.

Boot up time has been varying with my laptop 29s being the lowest I have yet achieved. Currently it stands at 47s. There is choice of using built in software to minimize the boot up time, but I don't particularly find it very efficient.
Shutdown time is a different matter, with this being achieved way faster.

*Veriface (The Facial Recognition) Logon is brilliant, it works well and fast, recognizing my facial features in no time, all the time, ( provided that there is enough light) it is really nice to see. Web camera works very well with light, when there is little light, the camera struggles to clearly show one's face consequently the facial recognition fails to be able to recognize the user right away. This is due to low light and not the software. Give it light you will see that it will recognize you in no time and log you in. I've tried it both with and w/o my spectacles on and... voila... logged in.
*Another great security feature about Veriface is that you can use it to encrypt your folders and files, which is amazing if you have sensitive files on your computer. Just right click on any folder or file and click on "encrypt with Veriface", is that simple.

GRAPHICS - These are fine for everything except hard gaming. Sims 3 runs with no problems on it.

BLUETOOTH - Works a treat, I managed to connect to my iphone, which gave me access to my playlist so I could play it trough my G570 connected to my sound system. I also managed to have it connected to my Blackberry, this time it not only allowed me to access the playlist but also allowed me to make calls via G570, how amazing is that?

SPEAKERS- I really did not like the way they sound, I found it to be a bit squeaky and all over the place, the kind that gives headache and just irritates your ears, but I should say that this might also be due to the fact that I am very demanding audiophile. When you plug the headphones is just a completely different matter, this gave me a great deal of pleasure watching movies and listening to music.

WI-FI - picks up signal in no time, never had problems around the house with signal, not even from my kitchen, where traditionally signal access is very poor.

SCREEN RES - Is fine, though not brilliant I liked the way it is, the brightness can easily be regulated from the keyboard shortcut.

KEYBOARD - Feels very comfy and subtle with its round edges and the number pad on the right hand side is genius from Lenovo.

Touchpad/Trackpad/Mousepad - I really love the texture of it, its not slippery and offers a nice feel to it. It uses the same system as the Iphone, Ipod where you can zoom in and out using both fingers. A plus point is that you can scroll up and down using a vertical line on the right hand side of it.
The Left and Right mouse buttons are very noisy, not smooth at all. They should have used some sort of a rubber underneath to minimize or null the clicking noise it makes when pressed, but maybe its just me being picky.

BATTERY - It's ok. LastS me around 2:45h to 3:00h with heavy usage.

FAN: I find it to be very noisy and very rarely shuts up. My Toshiba in comparison is almost silent, but I will have to test the settings further.

OVERALL: I am very, very pleased with my LENOVO G570, I am always looking forward to get home and get on with it. It looks really good, it's fast, great security features, very ergonomic keyboard. I am very glad I picked it up after almost a month of intense research on shops and internet and taking HP and Samsung into consideration. I am glad I found this item with such great specs. It easily beats its competitors in terms of Specs/price.

I highly recommend this to anyone who needs a fast, nice looking computer with
Multitasking needs. Lots of Hard Disk space, plenty of memory wich can still be upgraded up to 8GB fast processor ( 2nd Gen i5 intel.

I hope this review has been in some way helpfull to someone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dodgy Lenovo warranty...Don't buy any Lenovo PC, 27 July 2012
Mr "Orcadian" (EDINBURGH, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this laptop with a 12 month Lenovo warranty as stated on Amazon. The hinge went at 10 months. I wasn't told when I bought that Lenovo counts the 12 month warranty as beginning from the date of manufacture, not the date you buy their PC. You find this out on Lenovo support website when you check your warranty status. The (8 month not 12 month, in my case since the PC was manufactured 4 months before purchase) warranty expired before the hinge. Lenovo's UK website says "Warranty verification is required for Technical Support. If you are not in warranty, you may be billed for the call. We recommend you to check your warranty status before proceeding". Thank you Lenovo.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good laptop for reasonable price, 16 Oct. 2011
I am owning this laptop for one month and very glad that i have made this choice.
+ Long battery, i surfed on the web for 4,5 hours with the minimal brightness settings
+ Great keyboard
+ Almost no bloatware

- Poor screen. You can see pixelization on some gradients or colors. I am very upset about it
- HDD could be faster.

3.0 out of 5 stars Professional Machine, 14 Oct. 2011
Received a machine with the same ordered configuration, I was little up-set after reading some of the review there is a continuous trend of wrong item being shipped, but luckily I got what I ordered.
The multimedia part is disappointing compare to earlier versions of IBM and Dell laptops. Web-Cam image quality is not that impressive and the sound also not something comparable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo G570, 26 Sept. 2011
I bought the Lenovo G570 15.6 inch Notebook (Core i5-2410M, RAM 6GB, HDD 640GB, DVDRW, Windows 7 Home Premium) - Black it arrived in 4 days,it is very fast has an excellent graphics for viewing movies on (have not tried gaming). Transfer of data is a little slow as it has no USB 3 but other than that i have no complaints battery life is excellent lasts about 3.5/ 4 hrs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop for the price, 25 Aug. 2011
My g570 wasn't bought from Amazon, but thought I would leave feedback regarding the laptop anyway.

As a student and part-time freelance graphic designer, I needed something powerful yet not too expensive. After literally weeks of research and checking reviews, I decided on the g570. Mine features a core i5, AMD dedicated 1gb graphics, 6gb ram, 750gb hard drive, blueray player. Overall I am very happy with it, but there are a few cons worth mentioning. These are just personal issues.

PROS:
Nice styling/general design,
Brushed aluminium fascia/keyboard surround
Keys have a nice shape and feel
Great touchpad with pinch-zoom feature
Excellent spec
Stays cool and quiet, even when sitting flat on a desk.
Battery life is decent.
Lenovo's power management control allows you to keep the battery at 50% charge, which apparently increases the life of the battery.

CONS:
Poor screen. Mine came with a slight blue/cool tint so needed to adjust it by eye, via the colour management setting in the control panel. It also has poor viewing angles and isn't very punchy. Furthermore I wish it was a matte screen (rare in today's laptop market for some reason)
Shiny plastic lid and screen surround: fingerprint magnet.
Narrower delete/backspace and enter keys, resulting in my finger constantly pushing 'numlock' or 7 on the numpad. (i'm sure I will get used to this in no time)
The chassis and hinges aren't exactly robust.

Overall, I don't believe you can get a better laptop with this spec for the money. I initially wanted a macbook pro, but the price was at least triple this cost for a similar spec. I also went to so many stores to have a look at what was on offer and get a feel, and most of the equivalent laptops from acer, asus, hp, dell etc just didn't 'feel' right for me (too much shiny plastic, horrible buttons and keys, bad build quality etc.)

Finally, this is my first go with the Lenovo brand, and so far i'm very happy with them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor build quality and servicing, 19 Jan. 2012
I never normally take the time to write product reviews but under the circumstances and owing to the fact I purchased this product on the strength of its reviews I felt compelled to comment on both the poor build quality of the Lenovo G570 and the repair service I have received since returning this product.
In summation; this product was received on the 02/11/11 one month later both mouse buttons and the touch screen promptly broke. I am aware that sometimes products are suboptimal upon leaving the factory and if this machine had been repaired promptly and efficiently I would have had no real cause for complaint however this was not the case. This product was collected on the 19/12/11 but not received at the repair centre until two weeks later. Where it was in the meantime I have no idea. As yet I am still waiting for it to be repaired as the servicing department are waiting for "parts". The normal estimated repair time is 7-10 working days but as yet there is absolutely no sign of this product being returned. It is also worth noting that the servicing department are extremely hard to contact by phone making for both a time consuming and frustrating experience. Incidentally the phone number for servicing is 0808 234 2923; if you buy this product you'll probably need it.
As a side note my Samsung R505 which I purchased three years ago is still running strong with the possible exception of the x falling off the keyboard. However under the circumstances I am prepared to forgive it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good spec, build quality terrible!, 8 May 2012
Mr. M. Hunt "M Hunt" (UK) - See all my reviews
All the initial reviews suggested this was a very good laptop. The spec is very good, I was a little sceptical a about the screen hinge, but as I was only using it for light work decided to keep it. Just out of warranty the right hinge came loose, so tried to continue BUT this eventually chopped through power and other cables. Beyond repair. I would never buy a Lenovo again...the parts are really tacky, not built to last..avoid!

2.0 out of 5 stars constantly running fan, 19 Dec. 2011
First class service from Amazon , as usual, however I can`t say the same about the product.The G570 seems to have problem with the fan not shutting down for long periods of time, despite there being no programmes running or the machine being hot. This is not an isolated case,this being my second machine, the first having exactly the same problem.Amazon kindly took the other one back, as I thought that it may have just been a rogue one. Having searched various forums, including the Lenovo forum,I find that I am not the only one with this fan problem on the G570.The current view seems to be that it is a Bios setting problem.Having said that the machine does have some good qualities,it is fairly quick in start up and shut down,has a nice sleek look about it,and an excellent crysal clear screen.The keyboard has a good look and feel to it,and the keys a positive response.Had it not been for this annoying fan problem,it would merit five stars.
Having now had this machine for a little over 3 months,there is no change, fan just keeps on running. there is no feedback from Lenovo about this problem, although they are aware of it. Just seems as if they are not interested, so why give them your money! Don`t buy it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow what an excellent buy, 22 July 2011
I bought the Toshiba Satellite P750-114 Intel Core i7-2630QM, 6GB, 640GB, 15.6", W7HP, I was so disappointed with the washed out display I returned to Amazon for a refund. I then stumbled across the Lenovo G570 and my faith has been restored. For £300 less I have a cracking laptop, only i5 but it flies and it has a bright vibrant display. Setting up was a breeze not loads of unwanted software to uninstall. It is worth every penny, you get so much for your money and I can't recommend it highly enough. Just Buy it,Lenovo G570 15.6 inch Notebook (Core i5-2410M, RAM 6GB, HDD 640GB, DVDRW, Windows 7 Home Premium) - Blackan absolute bargain. Now have enough money to invest in an extended warranty and I still have money left.