5.0 out of 5 stars Great read
This is a terrific book, in which the life of St Francis and beginnings of his Order are very thoroughly researched. It shows just how controversial the movement was with the Popes of the time, and the appalling treatment of St Francis by them. I was very struck by the joy which St Francis exuded.
Published 7 months ago by Ms R. Ng

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit sugary
I bought this because I wanted to know more about Francis and I achieved my objective so I think it's OK but I couldn't say I liked it.
Published 20 months ago by B. Bampton

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit sugary, 15 Mar 2013
B. Bampton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life of St. Francis of Assisi (Kindle Edition)
I found the comment in the first part of the book about setting Francis in his own time was useful and there are a lot of footnotes for further explanation and reading. However, the style is a bit sugary, possibly because it's a translation, and it put me off a bit.
There seems to be this general concensus that Francis must be portrayed as somebody who was a bit simple, not in the sense of being humble or self denying, but in the sense of somebody who was childish and never grew up or accepted his responibilities as an adult. I think this book rather falls into that trap and I sense that Francis was much more than that.
I bought this on kindle, which I use for all my fiction these days. I wonder if I'd have done better to buy a proper book on this occasion so I could study it properly more easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 12 April 2014
Ms R. Ng "Rebecca" (East Molesey, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Francis of Assisi, 14 Feb 2013
This review is from: Life of St. Francis of Assisi (Kindle Edition)
A great book about a man who god gave to us to teach us poverty humility and obedience a lesson for us all

3.0 out of 5 stars But a good insight to religion in the middle ages, 25 Aug 2014
This review is from: Life of St. Francis of Assisi (Kindle Edition)
It is a bit hard going, and sometimes difficult to understand. But a good insight to religion in the middle ages.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 29 July 2014
This review is from: Life of St. Francis of Assisi (Kindle Edition)
A very interesting book would recommend it to friends and family

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 Nov 2014