Format: Kindle Edition|Change

VINE VOICEon 14 July 2013
30 years ago I read the play and then let it slip from my repertoire. So now it is new again. I started with "A Brief Guide to William Shakespeare without the Boring bits" commentary by Peter Aykroyd, and then worked my way through three film versions. Now finally I am reading the book to see what I missed.

The BBC is more complete and closer in verbiage to the original play versions. Lawerence Olivia was force to cut out much of the play because of time constraints and because of the time of the production Henry V could not look like a tyrant and they had to justify the war so it would coincide with the WWII war effort. However Kenneth Branagh, Making his directing debut, pulled out all stops. He may have missed a few lines here and there but replaced them with visuals and innuendos.

This story is based on prior works but can stand alone very well as what history of Henry is needed is mentioned in the play. Henry V was a sort of playboy (probably by cunning design) as a youth and when becoming king has decides to acquire France that is his heritage. In the process he must prove his ability to understand and lead people. One of his first tests is to detect treachery and remove it. The films leave out a lot of the information that make this story complete and interesting.

I must say the kindle version helps you move along with text-to-speak without it you will find you self constantly looking at the dictionary the first time through. The second time through it runs much smoother but people look at you funning when you use terms like puissant. Two thirds of the words came up in the online kindle dictionary; the rest had to rely on other on line dictionaries.

In any event as usual I found many daily quotes had come from this play:
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

If you do not come away with any other wisdom remember if you are traveling through France keep an eye on your luggage.
on 4 January 2014
Bought this to read before we went to see a live production in Portsmouth dockyard, what can I say it is a classic and should be read by all.
on 26 September 2015
Henry V is possibly the most well-known Shakespeare history.
I won't go into the plot for this play as I haven't finished it yet but it's about Henry V, a man once wild, who now has to lead England and battle France in a war - several years shrunk into an hour glass.
Personally I believe it is a very easily readable Shakespeare play and would be an excellent introduction to the great man's plays.
As usual very entertaining and has an excellent set of characters and the scenes are excellent even when written down.
A true noble Englishman has read this play. Those that haven't, aren't.
There are several motivational speeches which can be only done properly if the play is being watched.
The free Gutenberg edition is free of errors as far as I know and is a good transcription. No line numbers or annotations are included so not for study use but it's best to read Shakespeare for his plays and not just for GCSE or A Level.

Thanks,
Termingamer2-JD
l4w2-gamers hol es
on 21 September 2013
I was very glad to get this free of charge, and enjoyed reading it. I plan to recommend it to my friends. Thank you.
on 5 August 2015
I had to read Henry V for my English literature `O' level when I was a teenager. Back then it was another book to get through and try and remember as much as possible for an exam. I didn't really enjoy it then but today unencumbered with examination panic it's a whole different matter - it is beautiful. A wonderful piece of English language. Yes, there are parts of it that you need to read with a dictionary but that's missing the point. How accurately it reflects historical events is probably another story altogether, just enjoy the literature. "Once more into the breach", "The day is yours" and of course the famous speech before the battle of Agincourt - peerless. Delighted that it was Kenneth Branagh, a fellow Ulsterman who give the best rendering of the speech for film. Brilliant! The icing on the cake? The Kindle version is available at no cost. What's not to like.
on 18 March 2012
Complete accessible everything that should be there is there. I downloaded by mistake thinking it was a Complete Works. But this doesn't diminish the quality.
on 28 October 2014
I never read its entirety before and now for free I enjoyed it all, from the famous speeches to the war scenes. A Shakesperian classic if ever there was and one to be enjoyed by all.

Download this classic and enjoy.

David Cook, author of Liberty or Death: 1 (The Soldier Chronicles),Heart of Oak: The Soldier Chronicles: 2 and Blood on the Snow (The Soldier Chronicles Book 3)
on 1 April 2014
Shakespeare what could go wrong, it is always this good. always most enjoyable and I always use it to settle the argument about "once more unto the breach" being said at the battle for Harfleurs and not Agincourt as popularly believed
on 25 May 2014
I intend to read all of Shakespeare's plays something which I didn't do at school. These free kindle books are amazing and I have been reading them before I go to any of his plays now.
on 29 September 2013
This work is superb. No film makers editing to gloss over the brutality of the play. Without knowing and naturally empathising with this play you're not an Englishman.