5.0 out of 5 stars Always Popular
This is probably the best, and definitely the most read tale by Johanna Spyri. This is also the original and only Heidi tale by the author, there are at least two other Heidi books, but these were not written by, or endorsed by Johanna Spyri.

Published on 3 May 2011 by M. Dowden

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read
This book would be enjoyable of any age. It`s a lovely story about a little girl and her grandfather and how their lives are much better with each other in it. Also about the friends she makes on the way and the lives she touch on the way. It does go on a bit about every little flower and animal but still enjoyable. A really good book.
Published 21 months ago by Margaret

5.0 out of 5 stars Always Popular, 3 May 2011
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Heidi (Kindle Edition)

I must admit that when I was little I did see an adaptation of this on tv, but it was always much more popular with my little sister, so seeing this was free, I thought why not give it a go. If you have never read this before, I should warn you that there is a strong Christian ethos at times in this tale, but not overbearingly so. Heidi is an orphan, and when her aunt gets the chance of a good job she leaves Heidi with her grandfather, a man living in isolation from the rest of the town, in the mountains. Living there, she makes friends with Peter the goatherd, and his family, and surprisingly lives an idyllic life.

When her aunt returns on the scene, it is to take Heidi away to Germany, where she wants to use her to advance her own position, but although making friends, Heidi yearns for the Alps. Full of little adventures and incidents, wherever Heidi goes she is bound to make friends. Getting into all kinds of scrapes, but not out of any mischeiviousness, this is a tale that still appeals to little girls especially, but it is still very readable for adults. If you haven't read this for ages, then why not try it again, and if you have never read it before like me, then you may find that you are easily immersed in the tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I downloaded this book and it's FREE!, 20 Sep 2011
This review is from: Heidi (Kindle Edition)
Having recently been in the mountains, I was reminded of the book "Heidi" that I read when I was a little girl. I remembered too the tv series/film and resolved to get hold of a copy and read it again on my return home.

I'm delighted that I did. I loved this book and, after a period of some 36 years, it has lost none of its charm. This is truly a children's classic but also for adults too. The description of the mountains, the seasons, of nature in all its glory and the childish joy of seeing wonderous sights brought me so much joy and stayed with me for some time after I had read the last page.

It's free, seriously there is no reason not to get this book and read it.
Take yourself to an age of innocence and charm. You will be rewarded.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heidi Published 24 March 2011, 13 Nov 2011
This review is from: Heidi (Kindle Edition)
Although it is many years since I read this book, I was slightly disappointed with this version of the story. My book (which still have a copy) was re printed by Puffin in 1962 translated by Eileen Hall from the German. It goes into more detail for instant this books starts "From the old and pleasantly situated village of Mayenfeld a footpath winds through green and shady meadows to the foot of the mountains" my copy starts "The pretty little Swiss town of Mayenfeld lies at the foot of a mountain range, whose grim rugged peaks tower high above the valley below". If allowed, I would be quite willing to type my version for people to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Going back in time to my childhood., 5 Aug 2011
This review is from: Heidi (Kindle Edition)
Heidi is one of the classics that I had read as a child. I noticed the Kindle edition and could not resist rereading it. Well...I enjoyed it, it is not my favourite of the classics but was worth reading once more.
Heidi as a child is taken to her Grandfather who lives by himself on a mountain. He is considered grumpy but Heidi manages to open up his heart and bring the good out of him. Later she is taken away to Frankfurt to be a friend to a "crippled" girl and becomes very homesick and finally is sent back to her mountains. Wherever she goes Heidi brings a change for the better in some people.
What struck me reading this as an adult is Heidi's "awe" and her love of the beauty in nature and of the small things in life.
TBR again as an adult if you enjoyed as a child.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 23 Mar 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Heidi, 26 Feb 2013
This review is from: Heidi (Kindle Edition)
This book is nice to reed but my favourite part was when Heidi was with her grandfather but I can't say I didn't like anything in this book. So I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood Classic, 1 July 2012
This review is from: Heidi (Kindle Edition)
This book is one of my favourite childhood books, and it still has the same magic :) I`d love to be able to get hold of the rest of the books in the Heidi series next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heidi, 7 May 2012
This review is from: Heidi (Kindle Edition)
I think this book is amazing,the plot is really good especially when Heidi keeps on getting into trouble at Clara's house.5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Social imagery still relevant today., 3 Sep 2014
This review is from: Heidi (Kindle Edition)
This is as moving now as when I first read it as a child. the descriptions of the Swiss Alps are powerful and the imagery of people from all walks of life we could all learn today to not be too judgmental or categorise people regardless of whether we know them well or not. The story itself was always beautiful and still is today.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Heidi (Kindle Edition)
It's a good book because it uses lots of imagination and if you can read it with the imagination in it then you have imagination.

Heidi