on 8 February 2012
This edition of the Sonnets of the Bard is handy.Although the pleasure of cuddling up to the book version is lost,so is the eye strain and the need for a lot of light for when you're reading in the wee hours of the night in the bedroom with your wife asleep.For someone who cannot get to sleep unless he has read a sonnet of two,it took some getting used to but I've read the 60 or so sonnets so many times that I don't have a problem knowing by heart what section of the book to look at.
There is no page numbers but the sonnet numbers are there and they are correct.There are no punctuation or spelling mistakes and as soon as one sonnet finishes the other one start after a two line gap.the new sonnet number is always there.There is table of contents,but i personally think after the initial awkwardness of remembering without looking what section of the book to look at for the sonnet you want,this is incredible value for money, considering its for free.In fact,i think it makes Shakespeare even better because you have to remember a bit more about the order of the sonnets because there's no contents table.it has certainly made me remember certain lines of the Bard which have inspired me to write better as i've had to search them out and retain them for a while before finding them,and that retention has inspired my own thoughts and i've started writing better.
Overall,a great collection undoubtedly,but also the presentation is commendable. HIGHLY RECOMMENDEDIrreverent Natter- A collection of poems from my 30s
on 11 May 2012
After recently downloading the MP3 album Shakespeare: The Sonnets I dug out my copy of 'The Complete Works of William Shakespeare' to see the words as I listened to the music. I bought it for thirteen shillings (65p) in 1970 and the forty plus years since then have not been kind to it (browned considerably) nor my eyesight - the font is tiny! So when I saw this Kindle book I was delighted. It is absolutely perfect for me and I did not have to pay a penny for it.

On my Kindle for PC I can have the font supersize if I want and I also have all 154 Sonnets at my fingertips for when I am ready to go beyond the eleven on the album. I am so very pleased with it.

Regarding its very basic format, viz one Sonnet after another with no 'contents' or index, you could do as I have just done and add a note to every Sonnet. It takes a little while but it is so worth doing. So far I have just listed their numbers (standard Arabic) and it has been a positive exercise for I have been reminded of the Roman numeral system. Later I will be adding the first line of each Sonnet.

I'm actually quite glad that this book is so basic. By getting involved in its structure and providing the contents myself I will be more inclined to read the Sonnets rather than have them 'gathering dust' as my old Hardback has.
What can one really say about Shakespeare's sonnets? I could go on and on, but then I would end up writing an essay, which would bore everyone to tears. Over the years, I personally have looked again and again at the sonnets for help or inspiration, as I know others do as well. Here you have all the sonnets, and the only problem really with this edition is the lack of an active table of contents. Unfortunately you have to search through the edition to find the one you are after, but when it doesn't cost anything you mustn't really grumble.
on 23 May 2011
In a perfect version the page breaks could be better. But that's unfair as a criticism of a free book. Thank you to the publishers.
on 26 July 2014
You can only admire such writing by a man from centuries past. I bought this after reading how the Sonnets inspired and continue to inspire Simon Callow, the actor. Shakespeare did not inspire me greatly in my school days, I must admit but I like to think that age has given me a better understanding.
on 5 March 2015
What more can be said about Shakespeare? These sonnets show a wonderful range of feelings; love and loss, hope and joy, all expressed in peerless terms. He can be ironic, even sarcastic, mocking, almost aggressive in opinion. SRhakespeare is a master of the form, and this is a pleasure to study or merely read for pleasure, to read large chunks or merely dip in when the mood takes.Read it, if only to say you tried!
on 6 November 2012
Shakespeare's sonnet invention of having cross rhymes in the first twelve lines with the last two lines as a couplet certainly gives the poet room to move and to move his readers. Even though this is in an olden style of English, I was still able to lightly trip through most of them and understand their meaning. He uses some clever debating and contrasting ploys, but of course they are all essentially about love. I sought phrases and lines that have not been previously highlighted as infamous Shakespeare quotes and felt well rewarded in Sonnets XV, LX, LXIV. I particularly liked the line in Sonnet L "My grief lies onward, and my joy behind". My three favourite sonnets were XXVII which starts "Weary with toil, I haste me to my bed ..." , XLVII which begins "Betwixt mine eye and heart a league is took ..." and LXXVI beginning with "Why is my verse so barren of new pride ...". I wonder what he would think of them if he could come back and read through them again. I only gave my review four stars because I yearned for Shakespeare to write some sonnets on other topics!
on 2 June 2014
What can anyone find to say about Shakespeare that is original but I really enjoy the sonnet form and he is par excellent
on 29 May 2014
No frills - no explanations of what the sonnets mean - just the text. All Shakespeare's sonnets for free on your Kindle - much easier that walking around with a book of them.
on 13 March 2014
Ashamed to say, it has taken me until I'm well into my fifth decade, to get around to reading these and how I wish I'd made the effort sooner!

These are stunningly good. A Mater making best use of his tools. This is the English language best used, with elegance and understanding.

Found it helped to read the sonnets out loud, to truly appreciate the rhythm and cadence.

Breathtakingly brilliant!!